PDA

View Full Version : iFly 720 - Like it? Dislike it? Why? Recommend some other moving map product?

TBailey
04-30-2014, 08:14 AM
Hi, I am considering a moving map GPS and the iFly products seem to be very nice and fit into my budget well. Can you folks offer me some thoughts about it before I make the purchase? I really appreciate it! Thanks

Chris In Marshfield
04-30-2014, 02:00 PM
I'm a fan. I originally purchased the iFly 700 and upgraded to the 720 because it has a much brighter screen, faster processor, and wifi for doing software and map updates instead of pulling the data card out. I also purchased it with the iFly Streets option, which offers street navigation as well for when you get to your destination. iFly is also using the new all-electronic charts offered by the FAA versus the scanned versions previously used, so the detail and fidelity of the maps are great. iFly also released an iOS/Android version of the software for use with your tablet as well, and it can be treated as an add-on to your iFly account if you like. There are a couple of subscription options that provide VFR and IFR maps/charts, so you pay for what you need.

Now, what it is not is a flight planning application like Foreflight and similar. It's a navigator. So you put in your waypoints, push "go", and fly. It doesn't estimate your time enroute based on winds, doesn't guess how much fuel you're going to use, etc. This is your route line, this is your direction, this is your ground speed, and this is when we expect you to get there based on that. It's a great, affordable navigator. :D

It is compatible with a few external ADSB receivers, so you can get in-flight weather with it if you are so equipped. It also has digital NMEA outputs for your autopilot if it will accept it.

It also requires ship's power to operate. It does not have an internal battery, so you'll either have to have an aircraft with electrics or purchase an external batter pack to use it.

All in all, I think it's a great device. Highly recommended!

~Chris

TBailey
04-30-2014, 03:39 PM
Chris...thank you very much for taking the time to reply. That is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. I have always had a hard time trusting the content in paid ads. I was hoping I could snag someone on the forum that would respond as you have. THanks again!

Chris In Marshfield
04-30-2014, 03:42 PM
My pleasure! Best of luck with your purchase. The iFly folks are a pleasure to work with.

Bill Greenwood
04-30-2014, 04:19 PM
Chris in Marshfield,
Take a look at the small photo that is with your name, do you see anything wrong?

Hint, there was a famous movie some years back that starred Harrison Ford.
Hint # 2, what do you say just before you start a plane?

Chris In Marshfield
04-30-2014, 04:28 PM
It's not a jet? Yeah, sadly the F/A-18 is in the shop, so this is what I had available.

Jim Rosenow
05-01-2014, 05:35 AM
Just as another option to consider....we bought a first generation Nexus 7 32G specifically to fly with, and loaded the Garmin Pilot app on it. It has none of the limitations that Chris lists for the iFly, plus talks to the GDL39 via bluetooth to display wx and (limited) traffic. $144 currently on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Google-Nexus-7-Inch-Tablet/dp/B009X3UW2G/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1398943657&sr=1-3&keywords=nexus+7), or similarly priced other places. Full-cycle updates for maps including SafeTaxi are (from memory) $140 a year.

Another upside to the Nexus is that I've loaded the checklists, performance charts, avionics manuals etc on it. I can switch from Garmin Pilot to the power chart or a checklist with two screen touches, while Garmin Pilot motors along in the background.

Works well for us!

Jim

PS- The Garmin Pilot comes licensed for two devices simultaneously. We have an older 10" tablet we have it on that goes with us also. Approach plates are almost full-sized on it, but it's a bit big for mounting to a yoke (IMHO). I've also run Garmin Pilot successfully on my Android phones. FYI...Nope...no connection to Garmin here...just reporting our experience...your mileage may vary :-)

WLIU
05-01-2014, 06:12 AM
I stopped at the different vendor booths at Sun-N-Fun and I have to say that I am now sold on using an iPad Mini or small Android device live Samsung or Nexus as a flight planner and navigator. For very competitive $$ they are devices that you can use on the road in your car, at home or on the road to check e-mail or surf the web and do other stuff, and with the aviation apps out there, the general purpose hand helds do everything that the aviation dedicated portables do. The Jeppesen guy all but sold me on an iPad Mini. But the Foreflight and other reps are almost equally competitive. The Samsung has a built in GPS so you can get up and running without purchasing another box if you only need position.

The folks at RAM Mounts and some new vendors will sell you whatever bracketry you need to mount your iPad/Android in your airplane or car. Airgizmos will sell you a "panel dock" for your iPad Mini.

Its a brave new world out there.

Best of luck,

Wes
N78PS

TBailey
05-01-2014, 06:28 AM
Thanks guys! I've also been looking at the iPad options as well. Im that's a great perspective. The price on the Nexus is certainly right...

Joe Delene
05-01-2014, 06:29 PM
I don't know much about the I-Fly 720, a little about the Ipad options. I get by just fine with a Garmin 696 & XM weather. The GDL-39 is an option too.

Mike M
05-02-2014, 12:33 PM
Hi, I am considering a moving map GPS and the iFly products seem to be very nice and fit into my budget well. Can you folks offer me some thoughts about it before I make the purchase? I really appreciate it! Thanks

i know nothing about the iFly personally, but a couple of neighbors have them and like them. i use a samsung galaxy tab 2 10.1 screen with android version 4.something in a Mustang II beneath an untinted canopy in Florida sun and like it. i'm using Avare and it replaces all my paper charts. it has a very very very basic flight planner. for automobile use, GPS Copilot also from google's play store. both are no-subscription-cost offerings. last time i checked Avare was not available for iDevices. If you have an android phone, Avare will work there, too, so you can fly it before $ out of pocket. i'm using a hand-me-down android version 2.something DroidX as my backup device for the galaxy. works exactly the same way, same buttonpushes, just smaller screen. someone else on here recommended the nexus 7 with purchased software. i recommend strongly that if you go android, try the free stuff first and see how you like it.

Mike Berg
05-02-2014, 06:44 PM
I just updated the charts on my IFLY700....very easy. Never had much of a reason to go to the 720 and I'm cheap. I fly a L16 (military Champ) and run it off a 7 amp battery. I think the power draw is quite low. I also have it hooked to the SKYRADAR but haven't had much use as I tend to stay out of bad weather anyway..but you never know. However the weather does not overlay the sectional screen although airports and situational awareness are still obvious. The 720 does have a better or more sunlight readable screen and as someone above mentioned the support team is great. Should also mention I upgraded from a Garmin Plus Three which is not exactly an aviation GPS so this was quite a step up. I'm quite satisfied. The 520 is another option worth looking at depending on your needs.

fly4sw
05-07-2014, 04:04 PM
i know nothing about the iFly personally, but a couple of neighbors have them and like them. i use a samsung galaxy tab 2 10.1 screen with android version 4.something in a Mustang II beneath an untinted canopy in Florida sun and like it. i'm using Avare and it replaces all my paper charts. it has a very very very basic flight planner. for automobile use, GPS Copilot also from google's play store. both are no-subscription-cost offerings. last time i checked Avare was not available for iDevices. If you have an android phone, Avare will work there, too, so you can fly it before $ out of pocket. i'm using a hand-me-down android version 2.something DroidX as my backup device for the galaxy. works exactly the same way, same buttonpushes, just smaller screen. someone else on here recommended the nexus 7 with purchased software. i recommend strongly that if you go android, try the free stuff first and see how you like it.

Hey, I just saw this, new to the EAA. You might check out the iFly GPS App, it's new to Android. I started another post earlier when I saw Plane and Pilot's review on the iFly GPS App this morning. I've been using an iPad Mini for a while with those big apps, but tired of the price, overheating and glare. I downloaded a trial on my grandson's Nexus 7 and like what I see. It's got some very power planning tools and has nice Airspace Alerts and a very cool vertical profile of terrain in front of you. You should give it a try, 30-days for free.

Here is the other post if you want to read more... http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?4977-iFly-GPS-App-for-Android-and-iPad

I'm definitely moving to Android as there are brighter screens options. Might even pick up a 720, my friend has one and loves it. I've flown with it a few times and it is nice an bright. Better than my iPad Mini. It looks like I can have an iFly 720 and a Nexus 7 tablet on one subscription. Saves me some money to put towards some more avgas.

Thanks,
fly4sw

Chris In Marshfield
05-07-2014, 04:09 PM
It looks like I can have an iFly 720 and a Nexus 7 tablet on one subscription.

You can, but it costs a little bit extra. $20/year additional for up to three devices. Worth it to me :-)

~Chris

Mike Berg
05-08-2014, 07:18 AM
The only complaint I have with the Ifly700 is sunlight readable. Happens I need to put it on the dash and with a full greenhouse on the L16 there's a lot of 'sunlight'. Not supposed to be a problem with the 720. I still have most of the features of the 720: alerts, terrain, etc. Chris: a friend of mine just bought a four place Bearhawk kit with a 540 (I think) engine. We're located at the Strum airport (3WN9) not that far from you and you might fly over some Saturday morning if you want to socialize and maybe talk to the owner of the kit. Sharp young man and he'll get it done.

fly4sw
05-08-2014, 10:16 PM
I'm think I'm going with the 2013 Nexus 7, seems to have a much brighter screen brightness. If that's not bright enough I may just have to spring for the 720.

I looked at Garmin Pilot and would have to pay upwards of that $140, but for $69 I get iFly GPS with GPS taxi charts and a pretty cool satellite "realview" images that are used as taxi charts for those private fields. The more I use iFly, the more I'm impressed.

I just found out that the iFly GPS app comes with two licenses for $69 and for $20 more I can have three (iPad, Android and a phone), though 20 years of flying, if I need three devices in a plane for myself, I need to look out the window more. Though I might consider the 720 model in place of a tablet or phone.

For those that use ADSB, I came across the ADSB devices that iFly GPS works with. There is a list of about 7 or 8 device, all the big names Dual, iLevil, Navworx, Skyradar, SkyGuardTWX but no Garmin. It even works with ADSB in/out models like the Navworx. I personally don't see why I would want to be limited to just the GLD39 with Garmin Pilot? Just my 2 cents.

See you in the clouds,

Mike

Mike M
05-09-2014, 05:18 AM
I'm think I'm going with the 2013 Nexus 7, seems to have a much brighter screen brightness. If that's not bright enough I may just have to spring for the 720.
O
I looked at Garmin Pilot and would have to pay upwards of that $140, but for $69 I get iFly GPS with GPS taxi charts and a pretty cool satellite "realview" images that are used as taxi charts for those private fields. The more I use iFly, the more I'm impressed.

I just found out that the iFly GPS app comes with two licenses for $69 and for $20 more I can have three (iPad, Android and a phone), though 20 years of flying, if I need three devices in a plane for myself, I need to look out the window more. Though I might consider the 720 model in place of a tablet or phone.

For those that use ADSB, I came across the ADSB devices that iFly GPS works with. There is a list of about 7 or 8 device, all the big names Dual, iLevil, Navworx, Skyradar, SkyGuardTWX but no Garmin. It even works with ADSB in/out models like the Navworx. I personally don't see why I would want to be limited to just the GLD39 with Garmin Pilot? Just my 2 cents.

See you in the clouds,

Mike

2 cents? Remember - try the free apps (like Avare) first. If you like them, in 2 years or less you will have saved not just the cost of the subscriptions, you'll have recovered the cost of the nexus and bought $140 to $180 more aircraft fuel.

Chris In Marshfield
05-09-2014, 07:23 AM
The only complaint I have with the Ifly700 is sunlight readable. Happens I need to put it on the dash and with a full greenhouse on the L16 there's a lot of 'sunlight'. Not supposed to be a problem with the 720. I still have most of the features of the 720: alerts, terrain, etc.

A common "problem" with the 700s, tablets, and the like, is not as much glare from sunlight, but reflection off of your shirt, believe it or not. If you wear a light colored shirt (like a white t-shirt for example), a lot of times, even though the screen has an anti-glare coating, what you're seeing is lightness of your clothing reflecting off of the screen. Happens with a lot of devices, including tablets. If you wear a darker shirt, the reflection is a lot less pronounced, and visibility appears to be improved. It's a cheap fix :-) Although if you're in a flying aquarium, then it might not be as comfortable in the summer time.

Chris: a friend of mine just bought a four place Bearhawk kit with a 540 (I think) engine. We're located at the Strum airport (3WN9) not that far from you and you might fly over some Saturday morning if you want to socialize and maybe talk to the owner of the kit. Sharp young man and he'll get it done.

Thanks for letting me know! I'll have to pop over there one weekend and visit your project! The more Bearhawkers, the merrier. Every bit of motivation helps! I'm scratch building, so it's going to take longer. Having a QB kit around will definitely help to visualize things as I progress.

fly4sw
05-09-2014, 10:42 AM
2 cents? Remember - try the free apps (like Avare) first. If you like them, in 2 years or less you will have saved not just the cost of the subscriptions, you'll have recovered the cost of the nexus and bought $140 to $180 more aircraft fuel.

I've looked at free stuff, including Avare and others and it seems you get what you pay for in the long run. If it's free, how are they going to continue to support you, my luck I'd get used to it for a year or two and then they are gone because no money is coming. Then I'd have to start all over again. iFly GPS looks to be expanding over the years when others like AV8OR, Mywingman and Anywheremap are all but gone.

I'm not opposed to supporting Aviation, after all $69 a year for iFly GPS is a lot less that the $2,000+ Garmin wants for their GPS units.