PDA

View Full Version : CAD drawing or 3D solid works model of Lycoming IO-540

rpellicciotti
09-30-2011, 08:34 AM
Hello everyone. I am looking for CAD drawings or 3D model of a Lycoming IO-540 engine. This is to be used for evaluating the installation of the engine on an aircraft that had a different engine installed originally. I am sure that someone out there has done this. I thought I would ask around before putting the time and effort into doing it. I would be willing to pay a reasonable amount in order to compensate someone for the effort.

Mike Switzer
09-30-2011, 08:49 AM
Have you checked with Lycoming? Many engine manufacturers will provide a general drawing to vehicle developers showing the basic outline, mounting points, & critical control locations. I used to work for a large diesel engine manufacturer & they did this.

Sasho
10-09-2011, 04:07 PM
Hi there,
Unfortunately I do not have a CAD drawing of a Lycoming IO-540, but I would like to get one too. Any information regarding the engine mount type, or better a copy of a Lycoming "installation" drawing will be highly appreciated. I am looking forward to design an airplane with AEIO-540 L1B5D and actually built several 3D parts of it in Rhino, but the model is far from complete.
It may not be relevant in this thread, however I can offer a Rhino model of a Lycoming O-320 E2D that I built and used it to design the firewall forward layout of my previous project. I mean, it is good enough to verify your cowlings, baffles, ducting, engine mount, exhaust and engine controls routing.
Cheers,

tommieprinsloo
10-31-2011, 06:37 PM
Hi Sasho
I would appreciate it if i could get a copy of the o-320 CAD model. Is it possible to save it in STL format or STEP formsat for use in Solidworks?
Thanks
Tommie
My e-mail: tbp@lwmontana.co.za

EzBrit
11-03-2011, 07:08 PM
I created a SolidWorks model of a 0-540 I can send you for $10

Sasho
11-04-2011, 02:59 PM
EzBrit, could you post a few renders of your O-540 model. What references did you use to verify that the model is true?

With best regards,

EzBrit
11-05-2011, 06:21 PM
Sasho;

I constructed this model from information contained in the IO-540-E1A5 Lycoming installation drawing. The model was built to ensure the correct location and clearances within my airframe prototype. The location of the outside surfaces, attachment points and CG are believed to be accurate. The Sump to Cylinder head Intake Tubes have been changed and the alternator has been moved to permit reduction of the cowling size in those regions. I would suggest checking the location of any points that might create clearance problems in your application. The model is in SolidWorks 2008 or 9 and is 47Megs.

Ian.

streyburn
01-02-2012, 12:21 AM
I would like to get a copy of your lycoming 320 model. Can you post one in parasolid, igs, ?

Steven

Hi there,
Unfortunately I do not have a CAD drawing of a Lycoming IO-540, but I would like to get one too. Any information regarding the engine mount type, or better a copy of a Lycoming "installation" drawing will be highly appreciated. I am looking forward to design an airplane with AEIO-540 L1B5D and actually built several 3D parts of it in Rhino, but the model is far from complete.
It may not be relevant in this thread, however I can offer a Rhino model of a Lycoming O-320 E2D that I built and used it to design the firewall forward layout of my previous project. I mean, it is good enough to verify your cowlings, baffles, ducting, engine mount, exhaust and engine controls routing.
Cheers,

BriganteMike
06-04-2012, 01:14 PM
I will buy it off you! I will pay for a CD postage as well. It is for a helicopter I am designing in solidworks entirely for fun, but I need to know its size and the engine mountings so this is just perfect. I have PM'd you for payment details.

ClaudAero
10-24-2015, 03:05 AM
This is great could you please share it with me ? Thank you. Wanna design a cowling for it....

V8Seabee
01-16-2017, 08:40 AM
Greetings EzBrit, we would like to purchase your CAD model of the Lycoming O-540 engine. We use SolidWorks 2010 to design various powerplant configurations for our customers. Thanks.

Bohne
03-02-2017, 03:13 PM
Hello everyone,

I realize that this thread is very old, but I was wondering if anybody has a copy of the O-320 CAD that Sasho showed pictures of back in 2011? I'm currently working on my bachelor thesis designing a new cooling system for our gliding clubs tow plane, and this CAD model would be a great help!

I would really appreciate any tips or a PM.

Thanks in advance,

Anton

Sasho
03-03-2017, 02:48 AM
Anton, you may reach me via http://www.flicons.com/en/contact-us/

Adrian
07-03-2017, 06:59 PM
Hi i´m interested in your model, so, how can we do the deal?
My e-mail: lumiadrian@gmail.com

RCS
07-04-2017, 12:06 PM
While we are on the subject of CAD models, does anybody have or know of a model for the Continental O-470 and IO-470?

CharlieN
09-02-2017, 06:21 AM
Anton, you may reach me via http://www.flicons.com/en/contact-us/

Hi Sasho,
I sent an email to you, I am curious if your drawings are available exported in a DWG or DXF version which I believe Rhino can do.
If so let me know what your terms are?

JFly
08-20-2019, 12:51 PM
Sasho;

I constructed this model from information contained in the IO-540-E1A5 Lycoming installation drawing. The model was built to ensure the correct location and clearances within my airframe prototype. The location of the outside surfaces, attachment points and CG are believed to be accurate. The Sump to Cylinder head Intake Tubes have been changed and the alternator has been moved to permit reduction of the cowling size in those regions. I would suggest checking the location of any points that might create clearance problems in your application. The model is in SolidWorks 2008 or 9 and is 47Megs.

Ian.

Hi Ian,

Is your SW Model of the IO540 engine still available? If so, I would be interested in getting a copy. What would it cost?

Thanks,
Jerry Fly

JFly
08-20-2019, 02:36 PM
I forgot to include my email address. jandkfly@gmail.com

I'm building a kit plane and I need to design the engine mount and cowling as well as the baffling. This will make it much simpler.

Thanks again.

Jerry Fly

Mad Engineer
10-21-2020, 01:40 PM
Cheers, lads and lass! I know this is quite an old thread, but I'd like to ask @Sasho , if his cad model of the Lycoming o-320 got internals too or if it's a mainly external model.
If it is an internal model, i'd have a lot of further questions about the specs and would also ask if it is convertable to solid edge, as I'm quite new to the CAD world
Thank you for your time.
Mad Engineer