PDA

View Full Version : Wing sail replacement

frankenparts
03-06-2014, 10:46 AM
Hi All, I am new to all of this and probably shouldn't have, but I bought a Sabre Trike. It has a wing but the sail needs to be replaced. The owner didn't know anything about the plane except it runs. I could tell the wing was toast but for the price I figured it would be worth it. ANYWAY, I have looked EVERYWHERE online and need to find a place to recover my wing. I believe it is a s16 wing ( the spars are 16' long and The sail is the same as the pictures I have found online). Is there any company out there that does wing recovers or should I just buy a new wing. Like I said I'm new to all this and will be taking lessons and training this spring and hope to be flying by the end of the summer... time permitting of course.

martymayes
03-06-2014, 05:01 PM
You should be able to buy new sails for your wing. I guess you might want to have someone inspect your wing structure to make sure it's good to go. Not sure where you are but you should be able to find a shop in your region.

If you don't need your trike to train in, ask around while you are training and you'll get a feel for what kind of options you have.

Buzz
03-11-2014, 12:29 PM
Is there any company out there that does wing recovers or should I just buy a new wing. Like I said I'm new to all this and will be taking lessons and training this spring and hope to be flying by the end of the summer... time permitting of course.Try The Ultralight Store, (951) 925-7780. Ron Gonci makes replacement sails for a lot of ultralights. He may make them for yours or knows who does. He's been sailmaking since the early 70s and I've always been pleased with his quality.

-Buzz

jedi
03-13-2014, 12:18 AM
Hi All, I am new to all of this and probably shouldn't have, but I bought a Sabre Trike. It has a wing but the sail needs to be replaced. The owner didn't know anything about the plane except it runs. I could tell the wing was toast but for the price I figured it would be worth it. ANYWAY, I have looked EVERYWHERE online and need to find a place to recover my wing. I believe it is a s16 wing ( the spars are 16' long and The sail is the same as the pictures I have found online). Is there any company out there that does wing recovers or should I just buy a new wing. Like I said I'm new to all this and will be taking lessons and training this spring and hope to be flying by the end of the summer... time permitting of course.

Contact North Wing and ask Kameron if he can make replacement sail. If not Richard, the Saber Trike manufacturer, is still around an may be able to help you find sails.

frankenparts
03-13-2014, 10:58 AM
Try The Ultralight Store, (951) 925-7780. Ron Gonci makes replacement sails for a lot of ultralights. He may make them for yours or knows who does. He's been sailmaking since the early 70s and I've always been pleased with his quality.

-Buzz

Unfortunately the only trike sail they make is the Maverick 2... Boo hoo... I'll keep trying...

frankenparts
03-13-2014, 12:00 PM
Contact North Wing and ask Kameron if he can make replacement sail. If not Richard, the Saber Trike manufacturer, is still around an may be able to help you find sails.

Do you have any idea how to contact Richard? I can call North Wing but I don't know how to contact Richard... Thanks

jedi
03-14-2014, 03:56 AM
Do you have any idea how to contact Richard? I can call North Wing but I don't know how to contact Richard... Thanks

I will need to ask around. I saw him at Copperstate last October. Richard Helms. You should be able to find his address in the FAA data base. He is in the Phoenix area and now has a real job. Copperstate management may have a phone number. Kameron makes replacement sails for many hang gliders and trikes or at least has in the past. I am not in AZ but if you do not have any luck check back in a few weeks when I will return. PM for more info.

frankenparts
03-22-2014, 02:24 PM
Found a sail... Thanks for the help!

martymayes
03-23-2014, 09:28 AM
Found a sail... Thanks for the help!

Good news! Be sure to post a pic of your bird when it's ready to fly!

skyvine
03-31-2014, 06:08 PM
Glad to hear you got a sail. They are the weakest link in longevity for trikes. If you keep your wing out of the sun when not flying, it will last a lot longer. Unfortunately, the strength of the cloth in a trike sail is part of the structural integrity of the whole aircraft, and must be watched carefully for excessive UV degradation. Any trike that sees enough hours of airtime will need its sail replaced at some point, and that is usually well before the rest of the aircraft or engine has reached its usable lifespan.

Best of luck and post those pics of it flying!