PDA

View Full Version : EAA Volunteer Services Not Needed???

gbrasch
02-23-2014, 07:10 PM
EAA Staff, please take note. I have been a EAA member for over 34 years and have attended "Oshkosh" every year since 1984 sans two, traveling from Arizona. I have volunteered for about the past 10 years for KidVenture and in the campground at two different locations, most recently for several years at the familiar Camper Locator Shack. I am a rookie compared to the dedicated volunteers I have worked with there. I have watched a transition to the "shack" becoming more of an information post given cell phone use in recent years. I have even suggested changing it's name and keeping stats, but that never happened. I have just been informed by my Chairman that EAA has decided to do away with this group come Airventure 2014. What a waste of resource and loss of service to EAA members who are like a stream looking for information daily at the "shack". Please reconsider your decision. Respectfully, Glenn Brasch, EAA # 151265

crusty old aviator
02-24-2014, 11:41 AM
It sounds like you're going the way of the paper sectional, Glenn. The next time you fly cross country, ask every FBO you stop at for gas, if they have any current sectionals. It's getting as rare as payphones to find 'em. I'm often told to "get with the times and buy a tablet, like an iPad," but that seems a bit out of place in an antique airplane.

Karen Kryzaniak
02-24-2014, 11:58 AM
Hi Glenn, Thank you for your many years of volunteering! As you identified, most members find one another with cell phones now, which has eliminated the need for us to provide a locator service in Camp Scholler. We hope all the volunteers that supported this area will continue to volunteer, either as a group or as individuals, in other areas in need of volunteers. We appreciate and thank everyone that has made this effort a great success over the years. Kindest regards, Karen Kryzaniak, EAA Staff Liaison Camp Scholler

Infidel
02-24-2014, 03:51 PM
;) Welcome to the forum Karen!

Eagle Six
02-24-2014, 04:27 PM
I'm new to the EAA, and have never been to AirVenture. I plan to get there hopefully next year and if I do I will be camping. Does this mean if I want to find others who are also camping I should get their phone number, as opposed to a central location that could provide their location by their name or tail number?!?!?

Best Regards......George

gbrasch
02-24-2014, 05:28 PM
I'm new to the EAA, and have never been to AirVenture. I plan to get there hopefully next year and if I do I will be camping. Does this mean if I want to find others who are also camping I should get their phone number, as opposed to a central location that could provide their location by their name or tail number?!?!?

Best Regards......George

Yes, and Karen, why not keep the place open as a information service to the hundreds of people that use it throughout the week?

Bob Collins
02-25-2014, 10:50 AM
Yes, and Karen, why not keep the place open as a information service to the hundreds of people that use it throughout the week?

I blame EAA members for the loss of this service. They aren't filling out the cards. I stop in to avail myself of the service because there people I don't have in my cellphone; people I haven't see in years and i want to see if they're at the show.

Also there's the little matter of the fact cellphone service and wifi is pretty horrible at Oshkosh.

But i get what's happening. They closed up the volunteer booth down at the flightline last year, presumably for the same reasons.

Is there a list somewhere of what paying gigs are available at Oshkosh during AirVenture? Maybe we can pay our way in the old fashioned wahy.