PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded and dividing "white picket fences" return for 2014

EuropaPete
12-30-2013, 06:01 AM
Sadly, I guess the grass-root voices have been ignored again in favor of a few well-heeled corp exec wallets, even with the "new direction" under Jack's watch. Maybe they could use those funds to upgrade the homebuilt camping area facilities..... for the folks who started it all in the first place.

As posted on the AirVenture website:

"The Aviators Club has been at or near capacity each day over the past three years since it was introduced to EAA members, so we're pleased to bring it back for 2014," said Jack Pelton" "Located near the famed 'Brown Arch'"

Floatsflyer
12-30-2013, 10:24 AM
I don't see the Aviators Club as dreaded or dividing in any manner although I can appreciate your grassroots, power to the people distain for it. It's not exclusionary which would really bother me. It's open to all(the corporate execs, sponsors, etc, and all the regular folk) who want it and can afford it. I see no difference between the Club and the Boxes at stadiums and arenas all over the world. If EAA can garner more revenue, then the membership can benefit, hopefully, by non-increased admission prices and dues.

If I could afford it for the entire week at Osh, I'd buy admittance for the perks and convenience(out of the sun, the heat and not having to schlep my chair around every day).

Dave Stadt
12-30-2013, 12:07 PM
It is for EAA members and guests only. How is that divisive? Sounds rather inclusive to me. The proceeds go to Young Eagles, education and preservation. Sounds like an outstanding way to raise funds for those programs to me. Maybe you could suggest a fund raising program for homebuilt camping if there is a need.

martymayes
12-30-2013, 12:14 PM
It is for EAA members and guests only.

So you can get in free simply by showing your EAA membership card? Of course, I would expect non-member guest are required to buy a ticket.

Dave Stadt
12-30-2013, 01:40 PM
So you can get in free simply by showing your EAA membership card? Of course, I would expect non-member guest are required to buy a ticket.

No one said admission was free. Perks cost money...anywhere. Apparently there are more than enough people willing to pay the price. I believe that is an indication of a successful program. If you don't like it, don't go.

Bill Greenwood
12-30-2013, 02:22 PM
I don't see that having this Aviators Club is really much of a problem. Like so many things, it is a matter of amount , degree, and balance. If it occupies a small segment of the flight line, which it does, and if the revenue can benefit EAA, that's good.
I am not one of the people that thinks Airventure or EAA should be only about the customers at either the top or the bottom, let's try to have all levels, not just the budget homebuilder who complains about water costing $2.
For all the hearty guys who are young and happy to camp and walk in the sun all day, there are others, older people, parents with kids and ladies who may need to sit down out of the sun at times.
It is done at many other venues.
Again, a matter of balance. Is the admission charge reasonable also?

krw920
12-30-2013, 02:35 PM
From the AV14 website, $700 for the week, $125 daily, $150 Wed & Sat. in addition to the AV admission fee.

Pricey for me, a bargain for others.

Jeff Boatright
12-30-2013, 02:45 PM
...Pricey for me, a bargain for others.

Same here. But if it means my dad gets one more year at OSH (because now there is a relatively cool, shaded place to hang for a while), then what was once (very!) pricey is now part of what must be budgeted for. Sort of the point Bill was making.

martymayes
12-30-2013, 03:34 PM
No one said admission was free. Perks cost money...anywhere. Apparently there are more than enough people willing to pay the price. I believe that is an indication of a successful program. If you don't like it, don't go.

It's not about me so what I like or don't like doesn't matter.

While I'm not sure what the 'grass-root voices' were asking for, this is financial class division with a white picket fence. The OP's comments were accurate. Does being an EAA member even get one a discount?

gbrasch
12-30-2013, 04:47 PM
I think the issue that some of the vendors had with it (Honda, HAI) was that they paid for prime real estate, then this blocked their view. I get that.

Bill Greenwood
12-30-2013, 05:23 PM
That is pretty expensive, I might pay $75 for one day, if the food was good, but it is unlikely to be much more than the regular vendors. I certainly am not going to pay $150 for a weekend day, but if they are going to have the jet noise on Sat. I probably will leave by then anyway, though I usually like to do some shopping at the vendor buildings then.

It seems to me that this is a small building in a large place, and like going to a fine restaurant, if you don't want to pay for the bottle of Dom Perignon on the menu, just don't order it, have beer or water instead. It doesn't affect my week if some people do pay extra to have this tent.And someone who spends most of their time inside the building is going to miss a lot of fun things anyway.

EAA is not Cuba where most everyone is equal in that they are all on the bottom.

EuropaPete
12-30-2013, 05:30 PM
I personally don't have an issue with the VIP facilities themselves, but rather where it/they are located. Last year there were two, show left and show right, which made sense to me and a few others I imagine (the reason they removed it from show center was because of the membership complaints as I understood it). Putting it back at show center at the expense of flight line access for the general admission folks, and taking valuable plane display space does not.....IMHO.

A little modesty (indicated by offset pavilion locations) by the folks who sit inside the picket fence seems to go a long way....

Cheers,
Pete

Floatsflyer
12-30-2013, 05:48 PM
...this is financial class division with a white picket fence.

Nonsense. It's not class division or class distinction, it's about offering choice of locations/amenities at different pricepoints just like at sporting events, concerts, on cruise ships, movie theatres, cable/satellite packages etc, etc, etc.

TedK
12-30-2013, 06:22 PM
I'm a nobody, but My buddy and I bought Wednesday tickets so we could watch the night show from the Aviators Club. We did have lunch there and watched Wed afternoon. It was OK, but nothing really special.

Frankly, I think the improvements in food and some of the other watering holes throughout Airventure have rendered it OBE.

martymayes
12-31-2013, 07:51 AM
Nonsense. It's not class division or class distinction, it's about offering choice of locations/amenities at different pricepoints just like at sporting events, concerts, on cruise ships, movie theatres, cable/satellite packages etc, etc, etc.

I'm not a member of the "experimental sporting event association," "experimental cruise ship association," "experimental movie theater association," "experimental cable/satellite viewer association," etc., etc., etc. If those organizations divide their membership based on what they can afford, then I agree, it's no different.

Mayhemxpc
12-31-2013, 09:01 AM
I was just going to pass on commenting about this thread, as what needs to be said has been said. Then I remembered that EAA management actually pays attention to the forum, so I decided to weigh in.

I agree with Bill completely (maybe the first time.) It is for EAA members. It costs, but so does admission to AirVenture. So do the campsites. This is just another cost for another service. Yes, the optics of the thing are sort of bad. A better solution does not quickly come to mind. Last year it was no more obtrusive than any other structure and poses no significant restriction on seeing the airshow and none for seeing the show planes. Tif you are looking for shade, there are some trees you can use, and lots or airplane wings.

Message to EAA management is that it is OK as an additional service to EAA members, as long as the funds go to support EAA programs and discretion is used with regard to location and appearance.

Chris Mayer
N424AF

dclaxon
07-22-2014, 01:55 PM
A better solution does not quickly come to mind.

Actually I think a better solution does come to mind. I noticed when the LARGE tents started proliferating the flight line a few years ago, (the smaller ones weren't so bad) that some of them had observation decks with chairs on top of them. I thought those people are high enough they could easily see over the heads of the pedestrians on the walkway, but it is not so easy for people on the ground to see over the tents. I thought at the time that anything that is high enough to block the view of the activities on the flight line should be kept west of the pavement. Do that and I am perfectly OK with packing as many of them in there as you care to, just leave enough gaps between them for east/west foot traffic.

Dave