PDA

View Full Version : Forum tweaks and suggestions

Anymouse
07-20-2011, 03:09 AM
Hal and company,

Great job getting this up and running. There are a few suggestions though that may make it even better. I figure folks can add on as well...

Allow us to strike through text using the code that's around this sentence.

On the Purple Board, we have some code that will allow users to imbed video from YouTube, Vimeo, etc. It might be fun to allow users to embed video. I can email/PM an example from our boiler room if you want to know how to set it up.

DO NOT allow users to embed HTML code. (It's a giant hole for hackers to take over!!)

More smileys!! Better smileys!! Rob 'em from the other boards like I did!!

Make the default subscription mode "Do not subscribe" when new users sign up.

Make new users click on a link in a confirmation email before allowing them to post (cuts down on spam).

Allow bigger avatars (we allow 150x150 on the Purple Board).

I think there's a thread on this, but upload Tapatalk. It's free.

Allow a bunch of PMs to be saved (a few hundred)

Put a window at the bottom of a thread that will allow users to post with out having to click "reply" somewhere.

Make menus consistent through all screens.

That's all I can think of for now. I'm sure others will have more.

Rick Rademacher
07-20-2011, 07:10 AM
I agree with the above post and would also suggest a master heading of -- (( Young Eagles )) for comments on that important program !

Phil Kriley
07-20-2011, 07:17 AM
Congrats on the new board! I've updated my profile twice, but after pressing the "save profile" button all the fields are reset. What's up with that?

PaulDow
07-20-2011, 07:17 AM
Hal and company,

On the Purple Board, we have some code that will allow users to imbed video from YouTube, Vimeo, etc. It might be fun to allow users to embed video. I can email/PM an example from our boiler room if you want to know how to set it up.
Isn't that already there in the advanced editor?

DO NOT allow users to embed HTML code. (It's a giant hole for hackers to take over!!)
Agree

Agree, but EAA is a big corporation. Don't want to "borrow" them due to the possibility of lawsuits.

Make the default subscription mode "Do not subscribe" when new users sign up.
Was coming here to suggest that myself. Can it be made automatic subscribe for the original poster only?

Make new users click on a link in a confirmation email before allowing them to post (cuts down on spam).
Makes sense.

Allow bigger avatars (we allow 150x150 on the Purple Board).
Are the avatars being shrunk even more than the 100X100 they're being uploaded at? I uploaded a 151X151 image, and it displays at 80X80.

I think there's a thread on this, but upload Tapatalk. It's free.
or how about a mobile style, such as http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=249277

Are PMs used that much, and do they usually need to be saved? Personally, I don't usually have more than 5 on any message board since I keep things in regular email. Or maybe I just don't have that many friends. :(

Put a window at the bottom of a thread that will allow users to post with out having to click "reply" somewhere.
Isn't there a "Reply to Thread" button at the bottom, or has the just been added?

On an additional question, did Network Solutions grab the eaaforums.com address when the .org was registered?

Anymouse
07-20-2011, 07:42 AM
Isn't that already there in the advanced editor?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5TqCdux4cM

I guess it does. We had to put all those in manually with the older version of vBulletin.

BTW... I filmed this while flying past some fjords in Greenland.
Agree, but EAA is a big corporation. Don't want to "borrow" them due to the possibility of lawsuits.

There's plenty of good ones out there that are public domain. But yeah, don't want to get anyone wound up.

Are PMs used that much, and do they usually need to be saved? Personally, I don't usually have more than 5 on any message board since I keep things in regular email. Or maybe I just don't have that many friends. :(
You need to get out more!!

Actually, I'm a pack rat with PMs. I haven't looked at how many they're letting us have, but I can always go for more!!

Isn't there a "Reply to Thread" button at the bottom, or has the just been added?
Nah, that's the default. I just hate having to click on a reply button when a simply screen can be put on the bottom.

Replies above... ^^^

Chad Jensen
07-20-2011, 07:49 AM
Congrats on the new board! I've updated my profile twice, but after pressing the "save profile" button all the fields are reset. What's up with that?
I'm having a similar issue with my signature Phil...some minor bugs I bet with the new software

I like the colors of the forum BTW!

Sirota
07-20-2011, 12:49 PM
Hal,

Looks good but, although I've up loaded my photo to my Profile, it doesn't show up in my posts.

Anymouse
07-20-2011, 01:40 PM
That's an easy one. You have a profile picture and an avatar picture. The avatar picture is what shows up on your posts. If you load it up there, it should be good to go.

Sirota
07-21-2011, 02:13 PM
Thanks!

Hiperbiper
07-27-2011, 08:29 PM
You really need one.
I found it under FAQ but would like a bigger, better button!

Or have I just missed it?

FSMP
07-27-2011, 08:36 PM
Hal,

New FORUM is Fantastic -- ( The old one was so frustratingly S L O W !! )

Great Job ... :)

Geoff

David Gray
08-05-2011, 11:43 AM
Hi Hal,

How about a link to the main website. Maybe even open it up in a new window so you could remain on the Forums while searching for something. I had opened the Forums from my favorites bar so I had not navigated through the EAA main site. The only link that I found that redirected me there was the Privacy Statment.

Thanks,
Dave

Hangar10
08-09-2011, 11:01 PM
Yep, diggin the new forum.

Bob Meder
08-10-2011, 04:42 AM
Hal, the new forums are great. My only complaint is that I have to edit my posts to add CRLF's if I posted from my iPad, to separate paragraphs. But that's better than student pilot.com; apparently it uses the same software and it retains my paragraphs but won't save my edits...

Check 6
12-11-2011, 04:34 PM
The subscription mode does not work, at least for me. It is enabled in my control panel, but I don't get notifications. I have sent to emails to the webmaster and maybe that doesn't work either because no one has replied.

Hal Bryan
12-12-2011, 12:18 PM
There must be an issue with a spam blocker somewhere... I know that the subscription stuff is working, though I have seen that one email address of mine is pretty adamant about blocking the messages. As for mails sent in to us, I can promise you that, if you haven't gotten a response, it's because I haven't gotten the mail. I respond to support requests and / or questions about the forums (and the other stuff in my world) no later than the next business day, and usually within an hour so. (That being said, I was out of the office Thursday and Friday of last week, so I got a *little* behind ... but I'm all caught up now.)

Is there another email address you can try, just to test it out?

Anymouse
12-12-2011, 03:29 PM
Hmmm... I believe this was another growing pain we had on the PB. Apparently Comcast and Roadrunner were blocking emails from our server. A request was sent to them to unblock and all was well.

Perhaps this is the problem in this case?

Check 6
12-12-2011, 07:39 PM
I check my spam blocker daily. I have my own URL so not a problem with Comcast, etc. I am subscribed to this thread and I haven't received anything, in addition to other threads that I have subscriptions.

Regardless, I changed my settings to another email address, but same domain, but this shouldn't make any difference due to the settings in my mail server.

Note that I am a member of three other BB forums and I have never had a subscription problem. :confused:

Check 6
01-23-2012, 09:59 PM
I am still not receiving subscription notifications. Any update on a fix? Thanks.

Hal Bryan
01-25-2012, 01:17 PM
I'm going to send you a PM, which should also trigger an email notification - let me know if you get an email there, that might help us narrow down the problem...

steveinindy
01-25-2012, 02:22 PM
Another suggestion would be allowing longer PMs. The current setting makes it rather difficult to have detailed conversations that way.

Check 6
01-29-2012, 09:28 PM
I am still not receiving subscription notifications. Any update on a fix? Thanks.

I'm going to send you a PM, which should also trigger an email notification - let me know if you get an email there, that might help us narrow down the problem...

It is now working as designed. Thanks Hal.