PDA

View Full Version : This is why I love to Fly - GoPro Hero3+

FunInAviation
11-12-2013, 12:54 PM
We went up on a beautiful evening just to enjoy the scenery and do some practice landings. It puts me into a different and wonderful world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJx7dNlBnS0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJx7dNlBnS0

champ driver
11-12-2013, 01:53 PM
Nicely done!

Bill Greenwood
11-12-2013, 02:54 PM
Those are nice views, but I think it would appeal to pilots more with engine sounds or even silence, rather than the creepy elevator music.

FunInAviation
11-12-2013, 04:55 PM
Yep. I'm going to Best Buy today to pick my new digital voice recorder, which will plug into the intercom. The next video will have a lower music volume with more engine and radio communication in it. Thanks for the good advice, Bill.

pacerpilot
11-12-2013, 05:54 PM
The GoPro is a real nice camera!

I_FLY_LOW
11-13-2013, 08:26 AM
Very nice video!
Makes me want to go flying.
It's a tad chilly, and windy for an ultralight, right now, though.

jjhoneck
11-13-2013, 01:29 PM
Speaking of GoPro, here's a video I shot last week over our island, with the camera mounted on the wing of our RV-8A facing backwards. A somewhat unique perspective!

Enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk-guoHYzJY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

FunInAviation
11-14-2013, 06:39 AM
Nice video! I never thought about a rear view. I'll try that on my next video.

Jim Rosenow
11-14-2013, 07:56 AM
Those are nice views, but I think it would appeal to pilots more with engine sounds or even silence, rather than the creepy elevator music.

+1, Bill.....I've gotten to where if a video starts and I hear music instead of engine noise....b-bye.... Just a personal preference of course. I like the 'flying' experience more than the 'production' experience, I guess. No offense intended those who prefer otherwise.

I have an interface cable for in-flight that connects between my cam and a headphone jack....a headset plugs into that. Records intercom, ATC, and flight sounds (as you hear them thru the headset). The cable was $30-something. I will agree in advance with whoever will say this is not applicable if the cam is out at the end of the wing or tail :-)

jjhoneck
11-14-2013, 11:05 AM
+1, Bill.....I've gotten to where if a video starts and I hear music instead of engine noise....b-bye.... Just a personal preference of course. I like the 'flying' experience more than the 'production' experience, I guess. No offense intended those who prefer otherwise.

I have an interface cable for in-flight that connects between my cam and a headphone jack....a headset plugs into that. Records intercom, ATC, and flight sounds (as you hear them thru the headset). The cable was $30-something. I will agree in advance with whoever will say this is not applicable if the cam is out at the end of the wing or tail :-)

I started out doing videos with engine noise, and, wow, were they hard to watch.

Now, I always use Dwayne O'Brien's songs about flying (from the album "Song Pilot" ) in the background. I do this for two reasons: First, I love his music. His songs truly touch a chord, resonating with many of the reasons I fly.

Second, he has kindly not copyrighted his songs, so YouTube let's us use them without hassle. If you try to use any other "flying" songs -- say, " Danger Zone", from Top Gun, as an example -- YouTube will ban your video for copyright violation.

1600vw
11-14-2013, 12:29 PM

I agree with this.

If I want to hear music I will search for that and listen. I like hearing engines and people talk when watching video's such as these.

Would you please post a link to the interface cable you have. I fly with a hand held so it may not work with my setup but for others whom have a GA setup with one plug this may be the ticket. I am sure you are talking a one plug unit. I could be wrong though.

Jim Rosenow
11-14-2013, 06:27 PM
Would you please post a link to the interface cable you have. I fly with a hand held so it may not work with my setup but for others whom have a GA setup with one plug this may be the ticket. I am sure you are talking a one plug unit. I could be wrong though.

I'll get a link and maybe a pic for you in the morning. I'll start a new thread on the topic...apologies to the Smitty for the thread hijack.

Jim

FunInAviation
11-15-2013, 06:11 AM
No prob. Thanks Jim. I think the more videos we put out there, the more interest we can generate in getting people interested in aviation. I like doing all kinds of video, some with music, some with the actual audio track (engine noise, etc.) and some with a combination of both. I find that the subject matter of the video tends to dictate the sound track. With this video, I wanted to give people an idea of what it would be like if they were the pilot. Looking forward at where you're going, looking left at where you're going to land. Being a fan of the movie, Avatar, I chose the music to take the viewer to another world, the world of aviation.

1600vw
11-15-2013, 06:50 AM
No prob. Thanks Jim. I think the more videos we put out there, the more interest we can generate in getting people interested in aviation. I like doing all kinds of video, some with music, some with the actual audio track (engine noise, etc.) and some with a combination of both. I find that the subject matter of the video tends to dictate the sound track. With this video, I wanted to give people an idea of what it would be like if they were the pilot. Looking forward at where you're going, looking left at where you're going to land. Being a fan of the movie, Avatar, I chose the music to take the viewer to another world, the world of aviation.

Yes I agree with this it really does not matter what you put out, just put out something for others to see. What I do if I don't like the music I turn it down, but I will not stop watching the video, not if its about aviation. But it is nice to hear the engine and radio talk is a plus.

But I do not see the need for the go-pro. Its nice and all, I guess if you go under water, but with today's point and shoot you can get just as good of video and you do get audio. I have made my own mounts and mounted these all over my airplane. But in the cockpit is best. All my pics and video's I post are from a point and shoot.

The one I use today is a smart Camera and links to my wife's smart phone. She can operate the camera from her phone and see everything it see's on her phone. Its kinda cool. She can zoom it in and out and snap pics as she wants.

I am sure others have seen these.

I_FLY_LOW
11-15-2013, 07:51 AM
Yes I agree with this it really does not matter what you put out, just put out something for others to see. What I do if I don't like the music I turn it down, but I will not stop watching the video, not if its about aviation. But it is nice to hear the engine and radio talk is a plus.

But I do not see the need for the go-pro. Its nice and all, I guess if you go under water, but with today's point and shoot you can get just as good of video and you do get audio. I have made my own mounts and mounted these all over my airplane. But in the cockpit is best. All my pics and video's I post are from a point and shoot.

The one I use today is a smart Camera and links to my wife's smart phone. She can operate the camera from her phone and see everything it see's on her phone. Its kinda cool. She can zoom it in and out and snap pics as she wants.

I am sure others have seen these.

What kind of helmet, and mike muff setup do you have, there?
I'm trying to find a nice setup for flying my ultralight.

1600vw
11-15-2013, 08:03 AM
What kind of helmet, and mike muff setup do you have, there?
I'm trying to find a nice setup for flying my ultralight.

http://www.cps-parts.com/catalog/avpages/ultraprostandard.php

I use all Comtronics radio Products. I purchased this when I flew ultralights that is why I have such a big mic muff. Its really not needed in my cockpit but works great. Most do not fly with a helmet, but I like using one. It would not take much to slam my head into the wooden dash and knock me out. Or what if I hit my head on the back panel behind my head. For safety I use a helmet.

I also have the smoked face shield and clear shield for mine.

You can find this equipment used but helmets I like to buy new.

Tony

I_FLY_LOW
11-15-2013, 08:28 AM
Cool. I've been looking at their products, and wondered who's using what out there.
Was your mike muff a custom thing, or included, but not shown in their ad?

BTW, this is the one I've been eying:
http://www.cps-parts.com/catalog/avpages/comtronhelmetshf.php

1600vw
11-15-2013, 11:39 AM
Cool. I've been looking at their products, and wondered who's using what out there.
Was your mike muff a custom thing, or included, but not shown in their ad?

BTW, this is the one I've been eying:
http://www.cps-parts.com/catalog/avpages/comtronhelmetshf.php

The muff on the mic came that way. It is a nice setup and works really good. The helmet is also comfortable to wear.

1600vw
11-15-2013, 11:41 AM
I do like the helmet you posted a link to. Nice looking helmet.