PDA

View Full Version : Aaaahhhhh, This Looks Vaguely Familiar

Floatsflyer
10-29-2013, 09:32 AM
What is it they say about copying?: The best form of flattery. Another LSA Amphibian to add to the mix. From a new domestic company, Vickers Aircraft, it's called the Wave. Powered by a Lycoming IO-360 and with in-cockpit power wingfold. The Prototype has not flown yet, but company president says deliveries to start next summer(when will would-be aircraft developers stop saying nonsense like this...don't these guys ever learn from the mistakes and foolishness of others who preceded them).

http://cdn.avweb.com/media/newspics/325/vickers-lsa-amphib.jpg

martymayes
10-29-2013, 11:14 AM
The Prototype has not flown yet, but company president says deliveries to start next summer(when will would-be aircraft developers stop saying nonsense like this...don't these guys ever learn from the mistakes and foolishness of others who preceded them).
No weight exemption required so the process should move fast!

Ryan Dembroski
10-29-2013, 07:28 PM
What's a "Water Thruster"?
Is it a jet ski type nozzle in the hull to provide propulsion in "water mode"?

Flyfalcons
10-29-2013, 08:23 PM
Most likely a lateral thruster to help water maneuverability at low speed.

Floatsflyer
10-29-2013, 10:04 PM
Falcons has it right. It's a tiny outboard motor, should be electric, one-half horsepower. Shut down the engine, extend the thruster hidden within the fuselage and use/direct it for docking(if possible) or beaching from within the cockpit. A neat little item.

Frank Giger
10-29-2013, 10:18 PM
What's the difference between a bass boat trolling motor and an aviation water thruster?

At least a thousand dollars.

:thumbsup:

Ryan Dembroski
10-30-2013, 08:28 AM
Makes sense to me... is that sort of trolling motor/directional thruster common in seaplane operations?

Flyfalcons
10-30-2013, 10:20 AM
No it isn't. Single engine seaplanes generally rely on forward motion and water rudders to maneuver on the water. Wind, if any, can be used to help maneuver as well, but it can also be a hinderance.

Aaron Novak
10-30-2013, 10:45 AM
No it isn't. Single engine seaplanes generally rely on forward motion and water rudders to maneuver on the water. Wind, if any, can be used to help maneuver as well, but it can also be a hinderance.

Hmm, looks like the GA world is following the automotive and appliance world. More gizmos and less substance.

Flyfalcons
10-30-2013, 12:42 PM
Maybe but there have been many times I would have killed for thrusters while getting in and out of tight docks and marinas. Seaplanes, even more so than taildraggers, require your full attention until you're tied down.

Ryan Dembroski
10-31-2013, 10:29 AM
I'd never heard of them in an aviation application before, I imagine it'd be even more useful if you had a larger seaplane.
I seem to remember seeing one amphibious kitplane that was advertised with photos of a little trolling motor mounted off the cockpit so you could fish from it - can't find it right now though.

rwanttaja
10-31-2013, 11:34 AM
Falcons has it right. It's a tiny outboard motor, should be electric, one-half horsepower. Shut down the engine, extend the thruster hidden within the fuselage and use/direct it for docking(if possible) or beaching from within the cockpit. A neat little item.
What's interesting is that they have enough margin below the LSA weight limit that they feel they can include furlebows and geegaws like this. Either that, or they haven't done a serious weight budget yet...

Ron Wanttaja

Flyfalcons
10-31-2013, 02:13 PM
What's interesting is that they have enough margin below the LSA weight limit that they feel they can include furlebows and geegaws like this. Either that, or they haven't done a serious weight budget yet...

Ron Wanttaja

Forget the doodads, I couldn't help but notice the use of a big Lycoming.

Floatsflyer
10-31-2013, 02:45 PM
Forget the doodads, I couldn't help but notice the use of a big Lycoming. Big horsepower engines are being used on other LSAs. For example, Cubcrafters Carbon Cub SS is a SLSA that utilizes a 180HP engine. The engine is a ECI Titan CC340 which has been certified to ASTM standards. It makes this Cub a high performance light sport.

Floatsflyer
10-31-2013, 03:08 PM
I'd never heard of them in an aviation application before, I imagine it'd be even more useful if you had a larger seaplane.
When/if the Seawind(yes, that same former EAB kit)gets certified-they're getting very close- they are making such a piece of equipment available.