PDA

View Full Version : FAVORITE aviation movie of all time?

Zack Baughman
10-22-2013, 04:06 PM
The forums seem a bit slow of late, so to stir up some conversation - what's your pick for best aviation movie of all time and why? Action flicks, war movies, documentaries...they are all fair game. Now that I've posted the question, I'll have to think on it a bit. "Always" is definitely amongst the top of my list.

Zack

Mike Switzer
10-22-2013, 04:42 PM
The story was only so-so, but as far as the aircraft involved & the photography, Strategic Air Command has to be near the top.

champ driver
10-22-2013, 04:48 PM
The Spirit of St Louis, there's a few parts in there that still give me goose bumps.

Floatsflyer
10-22-2013, 06:56 PM
"Always" is definitely amongst the top of my list.

Zack Sorry Zack, IMO, Always was a chick flick masquerading as an aviation movie.

Kurt Flunkn
10-22-2013, 07:21 PM
How about "The Right Stuff".... and for shear fun "The Rocketeer"

CarlOrton
10-22-2013, 07:24 PM
Zero Hour / Airplane! Memphis Belle

rmock
10-22-2013, 07:55 PM
I recently saw "The Right Stuff". What an amazing movie.

Floatsflyer
10-22-2013, 08:47 PM
1943's "Air Force", directed by Howard Hawks, starring John Garfield, Harry Carey, John Ridgely, Arthur Kennedy, Gig Young and James Brown(not that James Brown). The story of a B-17 crew flying from San Francisco to Pearl Harbor on December 6, 1941. It's a raw-raw propaganda type film but it's a damn good propaganda film. Found a Trailer: http://youtu.be/_Xyol4b9Law

JimRice85
10-22-2013, 08:51 PM
Task Force

Jim Hann
10-22-2013, 09:16 PM
1943's "Air Force", directed by Howard Hawks, starring John Garfield, Harry Carey, John Ridgely, Arthur Kennedy, Gig Young and James Brown(not that James Brown). The story of a B-17 crew flying from San Francisco to Pearl Harbor on December 6, 1941. It's a raw-raw propaganda type film but it's a damn good propaganda film. Found a Trailer: http://youtu.be/_Xyol4b9Law
I've seen at least part of this movie. Good flick, "cutting edge" special effects! (well for 1943) :-)

Zack Baughman
10-23-2013, 07:13 AM
Sorry Zack, IMO, Always was a chick flick masquerading as an aviation movie.

And you know what they say about opinions... ;) Chick flick or no, it's a great movie with a lot of great aviation going on. One that I like that not very many people seem to have seen is "Dark Blue World." It tells the story of Czech pilots flying in the RAF during WWII. Although technically not a movie, I have high hopes for the new Spielberg and Hanks HBO series being produced that is based on author Donald Miller's Masters of the Air: America’s Bomber Boys Who Fought The Air War Against Nazi Germany.

Hal Bryan
10-23-2013, 08:06 AM
Chick flick or no, it's a great movie with a lot of great aviation going on.

And the "chick" is Holly Hunter, which makes that movie almost perfect... :)

One that I like that not very many people seem to have seen is "Dark Blue World." It tells the story of Czech pilots flying in the RAF during WWII.

Amen to that!

Consider this my "second" for "The Rocketeer" and "Strategic Air Command" as previously mentioned as well. "Battle of Britain" is one of my all-time favorites, and, of course, "The Great Waldo Pepper", "Wings", "The Dambusters", "Tora! Tora! Tora!" and "Reach for the Sky" are all right up there.

John Wayne as "Spig" Wead in "Wings of Eagles" is fantastic, and I'll always love the flying scenes in "Air America." For my north-of-the-border friend Floatsflyer, I have to mention "For the Moment" (1993), which is not only a "chick flick", it's thoroughly Canadian! ;) Not an especially spectacular movie but a decent look at life in the BCATP during WWII. The same goes for "Captains of the Clouds" (1942), except the words "chick flick" and "Jimmy Cagney" don't really go together...

1942's "Thunder Birds" is very good, and the B-17 scenes shot for "The War Lover" will absolutely blow your mind. The movie that's known as "the French Top Gun", "Le Chavaliers du Ciel", has some of the most amazing aerial cinematography I've ever seen - Mirage IVs and AlphaJets aren't normally what I'm looking for in an aviation film, but this footage is absolutely stunning. Odds are you've seen clips on YouTube without necessarily knowing where they came from.

Others that come to mind are "The Blue Max", 1935's "Ladies Crave Excitement" (this one caused my wife to raise an eyebrow when it was added to the collection) which includes footage of Johnny Miller looping a Pitcairn autogiro, and "The McConnell Story", even though I (spoiler alert!) get sad at the end. "The Hunters" is a fun Korean War-era film with Robert Mitchum at his gruff best, and "Only Angels Have Wings" is also a longtime favorite.

With respect to television, the newly remastered "Steve Canyon" TV-series is an absolute must for anyone with even a passing interest in the USAF during the cold war, and the BBC's miniseries adaptation of "Piece of Cake" gets my highest recommendation. If you've seen a clip on the web of a Spitfire flying under a bridge, that's from "Piece of Cake." I've also been having fun lately with episodes of "Whirly Birds" and "Ripcords." Finally, if, like me, you have a soft spot for bad 80's television, the short-lived "Blue Thunder" TV series is full of bad acting, terrible writing, and great flying.

As far as documentaries go, Paul Glenshaw's "Barnstorming", starring our own Andrew King, is one of my absolute favorites, along with Russ Munson's "Flying Route 66." (Full disclosure: Paul, Andrew and Russ are friends of mine.)

It's all-but-impossible to find (my copy was an Emmy screener I found on eBay), but if you get the chance to watch "Carnauba: a Son's Memoir", you'll be rewarded with some of the most beautiful flying scenes ever filmed. The same can be said for "Winged Migration", though the subjects there are birds, not airplanes, so it may not count. "The Great Circle Air Safari" deserves a mention - great footage of a trip around Australia in vintage biplanes.

Sigh - I could go on and on. In fact, I just did...

Floatsflyer
10-23-2013, 09:04 AM
Chick flick or no, it's a great movie with a lot of great aviation going on. .

"Always" was a remake of "A Guy Named Joe", with Spencer Tracey, a much, much better film.

Hal Bryan
10-23-2013, 09:06 AM
"Always" was a remake of "A Guy Named Joe", with Spencer Tracey, a much, much better film.

Fair point - the original is excellent.

CarlOrton
10-23-2013, 09:33 AM
Really now. Among propellor heads, I think we'd watch *any* pic with planes in it!!

Floatsflyer
10-23-2013, 09:49 AM
"Battle of Britain" is one of my all-time favorites, and, of course, "The Great Waldo Pepper", "Wings", "The Dambusters", "Tora! Tora! Tora!" and "Reach for the Sky" are all right up there. For my north-of-the-border friend Floatsflyer, I have to mention "For the Moment" (1993), which is not only a "chick flick", it's thoroughly Canadian! ;) Not an especially spectacular movie but a decent look at life in the BCATP during WWII. The same goes for "Captains of the Clouds" (1942), except the words "chick flick" and "Jimmy Cagney" don't really go together...

All excellent choices and don't forget "Hell's Angels", the best of the bunch. When I first heard about "Tora!Tora!Tora!" coming out back in the 70's, I thought it was about someone's Bar Mitzvah. ;) I'm really impressed with yor knowledge of Cancon films. "For the Moment" shot and produced in Manitoba, was the first feature film about the BCATP program. It was real short on flying scenes because of it's low budget and it's only memorable because it starred the as yet unknown Russel Crowe in one of his first films as an Australian student pilot training in Canada.

"Captains of the Clouds" is one of my all time favorites because of that great cast, the story of Canadian bush pilots, superb flying scenes and those fabulous floatplanes--Norseman, Bellanca, Fokker Universal, etc. And of course, the excitement of seeing the real Billy Bishop in the movie shot at Uplands AFB, now Ottawa International.

Here's another Cancon title for you- The Arrow, a very good 1997 television miniseries(also shot in Manitoba) about the incredible true story(to a certain extent) of the 1950's development and demise of the world's most advanced(even by todays standards) fighter interceptor, the Avro Arrow. Starring my old friend Dan Ackroyd(thats another true story for another time) as the president of Avro Canada. I always loved the tagline on the one sheet- the poster("The right stuff...the wrong time") The greatest irony of the Arrow program was that upon cancellation in 1959, so many talented Canadian aeronautical engineers and others were scooped up by NASA where they would work on the Apollo program and the Shuttle.

Full disclosure--I was involved in The Arrow, even have a credit in the end credits.

Zack Baughman
10-23-2013, 10:21 AM
1935's "Ladies Crave Excitement" (this one caused my wife to raise an eyebrow when it was added to the collection) which includes footage of Johnny Miller looping a Pitcairn autogiro

Now how do I look this one up while at work without setting off the IT alarms? I'm afraid to even Google "Ladies Crave Excitement"! :P

Hal Bryan
10-23-2013, 10:54 AM
Here's another Cancon title for you- The Arrow, a very good 1997 television miniseries(also shot in Manitoba) about the incredible true story(to a certain extent) of the 1950's development and demise of the world's most advanced(even by todays standards) fighter interceptor, the Avro Arrow. Starring my old friend Dan Ackroyd(thats another true story for another time) as the president of Avro Canada. I always loved the tagline on the one sheet- the poster("The right stuff...the wrong time") The greatest irony of the Arrow program was that upon cancellation in 1959, so many talented Canadian aeronautical engineers and others were scooped up by NASA where they would work on the Apollo program and the Shuttle.

Full disclosure--I was involved in The Arrow, even have a credit in the end credits.

I saw this on TV when I was in Canada on one of many visits - I really enjoyed it! You just reminded me that, somehow, I don't own it - off to Amazon! I was at the rollout of the full-scale Arrow mockup at Downsview as well - such a shame about the fate of that museum!

Now how do I look this one up while at work without setting off the IT alarms? I'm afraid to even Google "Ladies Crave Excitement"! :P

Fortune favors the bold, my friend...! :)

Bob Dingley
10-23-2013, 11:25 AM
I like: 633 Squadron, Battle of Brittain, Fighter Squadron, A piece of cake, The Blue Max, and one that I saw long ago: "Captains of the Clouds." My favorite. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captains_of_the_Clouds

Shot in Ontario in 1942 in Technicolor by Paul Mantz from a Ford Trimotor.

Plot: James Cagney is a bush pilot (Norseman) turned flight instructor. Ferries a Hudson to the UK. Billy Bishop has a cameo. Highly recomended

Ryan Dembroski
10-23-2013, 11:52 AM
It might be cliché, but I'm kind of amazed that we've gotten all the way to the second page of this thread without anyone saying "Top Gun".

I mean.... TOP GUN. It's got something for everyone - Jets, Motorcycles, Explosions, Babes, Topless Male Pilot Volleyball Matches, Romance, Tragedy, Spilled Coffee, a Musical Number, and More Explosions!

As a child of the 80s it had a HUGE impact on my interest in aviation AND it has all of the best one-liners....

Other favorites: Memphis Belle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memphis_Belle_(film)) and Flight of the Intruder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_of_the_Intruder)

Floatsflyer
10-23-2013, 12:54 PM
I saw this on TV when I was in Canada on one of many visits - I really enjoyed it! You just reminded me that, somehow, I don't own it - off to Amazon! I was at the rollout of the full-scale Arrow mockup at Downsview as well - such a shame about the fate of that museum!

Hal, if you can't find it on Amazon, I have a copy I'd be glad to have you borrow. You can then make your own copy. CAVEAT EMPTOR: It's a VHS final cut production copy(remember, this was 1996, no DVD's yet or players) struck from the original 35mm print.

That debacle at Downsview still goes on with no resolution. The museum is still looking for a home and all the artifacts remain in storage. Very sad situation mainly because its still federal crown land.

Here's an epilogue to the Avro Arrow story that will not go away. It's one of those great urban myths. For 54 years the tale has circulated that one of the Arrows(there were only 6 production models, I believe) escaped the cutters torch at Malton(Toronto Pearson International), was flown to Muskoka Airport(7,000' runway) in Bracebridge, Ontario, taken apart and trucked to Barrie, Ontario(about 50 miles north of Toronto) where it remains to this day in an undisclosed location. Most experts on the subject believe this to be totally untrue, including the original test pilot who I met at one of the first screenings for cast and crew and distributors.

However, the real thing- a full cockpit section only- resides at the National Aviation Museum in Ottawa.

Ken Finney
10-23-2013, 04:41 PM
Am I the only person here who loves "12 O'Clock High"?

Hal Bryan
10-23-2013, 05:18 PM
Am I the only person here who loves "12 O'Clock High"?

Ken - absolutely not! I was sure if included it in my list, but I see that I missed it somehow. Great choice!

Mike Switzer
10-23-2013, 06:10 PM
That was a good one also

Kyle Boatright
10-23-2013, 06:38 PM
The High and the Mighty. Where else do you get the highest point of John Wayne's career: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2njKC5Iix8

JimRice85
10-23-2013, 07:03 PM
Fighter Squadron

mmorrison123
10-23-2013, 07:47 PM
"One Six Right" is my all time favorite. It's a great documentary with beautiful videography, amazing sound track, and a story that every pilot should understand. Great special features too! Watch it on the biggest screen that you can find.

Floatsflyer
10-23-2013, 08:31 PM
"Only Angels Have Wings", 1939, another classic directed by Howard Hawks, with Cary Grant, Jean Arthur and featuring the screen debut of Rita Hayworth. I've seen this film many times, just love it, a bunch of pilots risking there lives in tri-motors running an air mail service in deepest darkest South America. Great script, outstanding acting, funny, high drama and great flying in vintage birds. "Calling Barancca, calling Barranca..."--that line has always stuck in my head.

Floatsflyer
10-23-2013, 08:50 PM
"One Six Right" is my all time favorite. It's a great documentary with beautiful videography, amazing sound track, and a story that every pilot should understand. Agreed, it's outstanding. For those that fly, it'll remind you of why you took to the air. For those that don't, you'll wonder why you haven't been bitten with this wonderful disease. It should be mandatory viewing for the Young Eagles program. Watch the entire film and enjoy. http://youtu.be/m6lopqRJaFM :D

Victor Bravo
10-23-2013, 11:43 PM
"Above and Beyond" with Lloyd Nolan and William Holden. They got access to Edwards AFB during the Golden Age of X planes for goodness sakes! The story is a thinly disguised version of (a famous test pilot)'s exploits if memory serves. Note: I had originally typed the actual name of this famous pilot, who broke the sound barrier, and when it posted to the board the name had been removed automatically. I happen to know the story behind this, but that automatic change is hilariously inappropriate in the context of this post's mention of a 1950's film)

Speaking of William Holden, how could you guys have forgotten to mention "The Bridges at Toko-Ri"??

My hat's off to the person who was thoughtful enough to mention "633 Squadron"...bravo!

Although not an aviation movie specifically, one classic should be mentioned if for only one memorable scene: "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World". The gentleman who flew the Twin Beech through the sign was later my first flight instructor, so I have a personal connection to that movie. (well, two personal connections, but that's another story).

rwanttaja
10-24-2013, 12:35 AM
This is a thread I could dive into quite happily...but the thread subject stymies me: *Best* aviation movie??? No way I could make that kind of decision!

Didn't see "Soldier of Orange" on anyone's list.

Also, check out the Internet Movie Plane Database: www.impdb.org (http://www.impdb.org)

Ron Wanttaja

MEdwards
10-24-2013, 01:12 AM
The High and the Mighty.

Jim Hann
10-24-2013, 02:22 AM
This is a thread I could dive into quite happily...but the thread subject stymies me: *Best* aviation movie??? No way I could make that kind of decision!
Ron, I volunteer to do the research if folks want to send me copies of the movies! :-)

Also, check out the Internet Movie Plane Database: www.impdb.org (http://www.impdb.org)

Ron Wanttaja

I thin I have that bookmarked, if I don't I will now!

Jim

Mayhemxpc
10-24-2013, 02:59 AM
12 O'Clock High is great, but "The War Lover" has the unbelievable (but real) flying scenes.

Among other movies, I used to use 12 O'clock High and Command Decision for leadership development training.

All of the moves listed above are worth watching anytime...even Always. (How else can I get my wife to sit down and watch an airplane movie with me. WIN WIN!)

Ryan Dembroski
10-24-2013, 06:18 AM
Add another +1 on to "One Six Right"
Had forgotten that one yesterday - definitely binge watched that a bunch before I started taking lessons.

Still no one else for Top Gun!?!?!

Zack Baughman
10-24-2013, 07:04 AM

Good point! I edited the thread title from "best" to "FAVORITE" to reflect that.
-Zack

Zack Baughman
10-24-2013, 07:22 AM
Add another +1 on to "One Six Right"
Had forgotten that one yesterday - definitely binge watched that a bunch before I started taking lessons.

Still no one else for Top Gun!?!?!

There's no denying that Top Gun had a significant impact on aviation and particularly Navy recruiting when it came out. I remember looking through old issues of Sport Aviation magazine and seeing all the VIPs at Oshkosh wearing Top Gun hats, Paul and Tom included. There's also no denying that there are some very iconic aviation scenes from that movie. That being said, it just doesn't hold up for me as one of the best compared to say, 12 O'Clock High or The Battle of Britain. Do I still end up watching it whenever I come across it on the tube? Certainly.

Jonathan Harger
10-24-2013, 07:28 AM
I'd echo earlier comments in support of One Six Right, Top Gun, and The Right Stuff.
One of my favorites surprisingly not mentioned yet: The Defender, a documentary by Stephen Low. If you haven't seen it, it is available streaming at http://www.nfb.ca/film/defender and a description of the film is at http://blog.nfb.ca/blog/2009/07/27/how-to-fighter-airplane-defender-bob-diemert/.
The worst aviation movie I've ever seen has to be Iron Eagle.

Zack Baughman
10-24-2013, 07:44 AM
Well, if you're going to mention The Defender, then I've got to up you one with Thunder Over Reno. FYI - the entire Defender documentary is on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvbQMqd0kEY

Jonathan Harger
10-24-2013, 07:57 AM
The car in The Defender starting at 44:45 on the YouTube video, "Chase One," would be the ultimate AirVenture vehicle.

Hal Bryan
10-24-2013, 07:58 AM
Since at least two of us have mentioned "The War Lover", here's a clip showing some of the B-17 low passes that really make it stand out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGGynxYbA48

raytoews
10-24-2013, 11:19 AM
Final Countdown, two Tomcats dog-fighting a pair of Zero,s, awesome and lots of good carrier shots.

As an asside we toured the Midway in San Diego, very cool, they show how carrier operations work. Great tour, plan on spending the whole day.

Ray

rwanttaja
10-24-2013, 11:43 AM
Good point! I edited the thread title from "best" to "FAVORITE" to reflect that.
-Zack
Oh, in THAT case: 633 Squadron, The Blue Max, Twelve O'Clock High. The fact that I own the books each was based on probably has a lot to do with it, as does the fantastic music each features.

633 Squadron is an old favorite; I saw it in a rural theater (Wing, ND) when staying on my grandparent's farm for the summer. Yet it suffers a bit with a more-mature viewpoint; the plot is a bit stereotyped. Good flying scenes, with actual aircraft for the most part (though it uses ME-108s instead of 109s) It matches the book pretty well, except the movie changed the Squadron Leader to a Canadian to explain Robertson's accent. For those interested, the Robertson character survives, in the book. Music is fan-damn-tastic; took me 15 years to find the soundtrack, but I finally did. Heard it playing in a K-Mart once.

The Blue Max has a great plot, and a bunch of great actors (though I keep expecting Willy to do the Time Warp (again)). IMHO, Peppard was ideal as Bruno Stachel. The opening music is about the best-integrated I've ever seen; the whole bit with Peppard sloshing around in the trenches and the music sting as he catches sight of the airplane aloft. Great flying sequences, with replicas for the most part and some Stampes standing-in in other cases. Fairly close to the book, but again, the main character actually survives in the book (it's the staffel commander killed in the monoplane, and Stachel sets him up for it - though he has a change of heart). For those interested, the book does have a sequel: The Blood Order, about Stachel's involvement with the Nazis and the rise of the Luftwaffe.

Twelve O'Clock High...well, what can I say? I own the book, the movie on DVD, every episode of the TV series on the DVR, the "Twelve O'Clock High Companion" book published several years ago, a lobby card of the movie poster, and a replica of the Toby mug (foreever turned away from the wall). Good new footage, good use of historical footage, great story, great actors. Again, great use of music at the beginning when Stoval makes his post-war bicycle run to now-abandoned Archbury (though I love Dominic Frontiere's music for the series even more). The movie matches the book very well, eliminating only a minor love story (unusual, for Hollywood). As far as historical accuracy, before the premiere of the movie, General Curt LeMay complained how bad, technically, aviation movies were. He was told there was only one "error" in Twelve O'Clock high... and he didn't catch it.

I'd say, "Don't get me started" but I guess it's too late for that... :-)

Ron Wanttaja

Hal Bryan
10-24-2013, 02:08 PM
The Blue Max...Great flying sequences, with replicas for the most part and some Stampes standing-in in other cases.

There were some Tiger Moths in the mix, as well - at least one fairly heavily modified to look like a Pfalz D.III, and others just painted in German colors to fill out formations. I was always impressed that always tried to keep the Moths furthest from the camera in formation shots so that the "hero" reproduction aircraft were in the foreground. Great film!

Floatsflyer
10-24-2013, 02:34 PM
All these titles had me unconsiously start to sing, "Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines". Forget all the love interests sprinked about(except for Brigette, I really wanted Brigette). It's those beautiful antique replicas flying throughout, the tight script, the authentic set decorating, the great photography of the period pieces, the remarkable ensemble acting by some of the best British actors of the time, the opening credits animation sequence and the song. Man, how I love that song. Da da da da da da da da da da da da da, they go don de don don de don don de don de don, Up, down, flying around da da da da........

Hal Bryan
10-24-2013, 02:47 PM
All these titles had me unconsiously start to sing, "Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines". Forget all the love interests sprinked about(except for Brigette, I really wanted Brigette). It's those beautiful antique replicas flying throughout, the tight script, the authentic set decorating, the great photography of the period pieces, the remarkable ensemble acting by some of the best British actors of the time, the opening credits animation sequence and the song. Man, how I love that song. Da da da da da da da da da da da da da, they go don de don don de don don de don de don, Up, down, flying around da da da da........

Same here...!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPgS26ZhqZs

P.S. You forgot a "da"? LOL!

Mike Switzer
10-24-2013, 03:51 PM
another good one - and pretty funny

rwanttaja
10-24-2013, 03:57 PM

Damn, you're right...this is what I hate about threads like this, every time I name my "Favorites" someone reminds of one I missed. Outstanding movie, especially in that the "Flying Machines" were actually, well, flying machines.

For those who DON'T have the theme running through their heads right now, may I offer this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9_jwJ68IWI

Ron Wanttaja

jjhoneck
10-24-2013, 09:27 PM
Ron, I volunteer to do the research if folks want to send me copies of the movies! :-)

I thin I have that bookmarked, if I don't I will now!

Jim

Jim, we have over 200 aviation movies in our DVD collection at Amelia's Landing Hotel, and our guests are encouraged to check them out like a library, for free. I believe we've got every movie everyone has mentioned so far.

Here's the plan: Come to the island this winter. Spend the month of January with us, in the Memphis Belle Room. Or the Fly-in Movie Room!

For 31 days, you can watch six aviation movies EVERY DAY, and STILL not quite have seen them all. At the end of the month, report your findings here.

We will then know, absolutely and positively, which is the best aviation movie!

dshipman
10-24-2013, 09:55 PM
There has been no mention of A gathering of Eagles, Rock Hudson conducts a realistic SIOP ORI at a B52 SAC BASE. It was filmed at Beale AFB, CA before the SR-71 called Beale its home. During my AF career, I was part of an IG team inspecting the 9th SRW. Next is The Dam Busters, a classic British WWII film about Lancasters skip-bombing German dams. Add these to 633 Squadron and Strategic Air Command as the greatest.

Victor Bravo
10-25-2013, 04:21 AM
Not that bounder Sir Percy !

MNWORD
10-25-2013, 04:30 AM
Definitely THE HIGH and the MIGHTY, STRATEGIC AIR COMMAND, but a couple of my favorites: The original AIRPORT, and who could forget AIRPLANE!

Baron von Tor
10-25-2013, 09:00 AM
Lots of good choices here, Blue Max and Waldo Pepper are personal favorites. I'd like to recommend a little known (and underrated) film - High Road to China with Tom Selleck and Bess Armstrong. Kind of a romantic adventure thing, but prominently featuring a couple Stampe SV-4's dressed up like WW1 flavored machines. The flying was done by David Perrin and Eric Muller, and there's plenty featuring the dirty side up all the way to the final credits.

Baron von Tor
10-25-2013, 09:02 AM
Island in the Sky gets watched whenever it's on TCM around here too.

rwanttaja
10-25-2013, 10:56 AM
Lots of good choices here, Blue Max and Waldo Pepper are personal favorites. I'd like to recommend a little known (and underrated) film - High Road to China with Tom Selleck and Bess Armstrong. Kind of a romantic adventure thing, but prominently featuring a couple Stampe SV-4's dressed up like WW1 flavored machines. The flying was done by David Perrin and Eric Muller, and there's plenty featuring the dirty side up all the way to the final credits.
The interesting thing about "High Road to China" is that the filmmakers commissioned several Bristol fighters for use in the movie, and planned close-ups of the actors in flight. Then the insurance companies refused to allow the actors to fly in an Experimental aircraft, and they used the Stampes. One Bristol was used in the Charles Bronson film "Death Hunt" (which was actually released before High Road to China).

One must combine three scales to judge an aviation movie:

1. Quality of the overall plot/acting
2. Amount aircraft operations are integrated to the story
3. Accuracy of the aviation details

Many movies we've mentioned, #2 actually rates quite low, compared to the other categories. I mentioned "Soldier of Orange", for instance...the parts with the main character flying Mosquitos are actually quite limited. But the quality of the plot still makes it a good movie. "The Purple Plain" is another example, again with Mossies.

"The Blue Max," for instance, rates high in all three categories, except, perhaps, the use of some non-accurate aircraft would scale #3 back a bit. "Twelve O'Clock High," rates surprisingly low in #2...yes, it's set in a bomber squadron, but the flying sequences are not really what the movie's about.

But...like "Soldier of Orange"... the outstanding plot and actors really make it stand out.

Then we come to "High Road to China." I saw it when it originally came out, and haven't re-watched it since. Lotsa flying, can't remember the accuracy, but I do remember having a low opinion of it as far as plot/acting. Don't remember why...guess I'll have to re-watch it.

This leads it to one other factor on the WAMS (Wanttaja Aviation Movie Scale :-): The importance of each of the three scores to the individual. When I was a kid, #2 was most important to me...the heck with the plot, bring on the action! As I've aged (if not matured), my tastes are now inclined towards quality of the plot and the acting. I can tolerate *some* inaccuracies, if the movie is good. Heck, I've worked in the space business for 35 years, yet I loved "Gravity"....

Ron Wanttaja

Floatsflyer
10-25-2013, 12:22 PM
One must combine three scales to judge an aviation movie:

1. Quality of the overall plot/acting
2. Amount aircraft operations are integrated to the story
3. Accuracy of the aviation details

Well then, using your self-proclaimed WAMS scale, I offer, in no particular order, my subjective list of the 10 best aviation themed feature films that meet those criteria:

Air Force
The Right Stuff
Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines
Hells Angels
Reach For The Sky
Only Angels Have Wings
Battle of Britain
The Great Waldo Pepper
Captains of the Clouds
Memphis Belle

I declare the can of worms to be open!

Bill Greenwood
10-25-2013, 03:47 PM
If you want real flying in real airplanes as opposed to some models or computer simulations, then Battle of Britain is certainly one. There were real Spitfires, Hurricanes,bombers, etc. with the exception that the bad guys were ex Spanish 109 s and He-111s instead of luftwaffe. The airfields were real, prominently Duxford. The in cockpit pilot views out the front of the Spitfire were real, taken by a movie camera in the front seat.
One I really enjoyed because of the stars, Grace Kelly,William Holden etc, was BRIDGES AT TOKO RI, which I think is based on real events even if it was with Skyraiders and not F9F jets. It won an Academy award for special effects, and also used real Navy combat footage.

ttheeck
10-25-2013, 04:41 PM
How can EAAs leave out Cliff Robertson's "The Pilot", the most realistic fictional movie about commercial aviation?

Bob Dingley
10-25-2013, 05:41 PM
I'm with you Ron on the three line scale. and humbly submit "Dive Bomber" filmed in prewar 1941 starring Errol Flynn, Fred McMurry and the USS Enterprise. The plot is about the new science of aviation medicine. Flynn was a Surgeon and McMurry was a dive bomber pilot.

Floatsflyer
10-25-2013, 06:58 PM
If you want real flying in real airplanes as opposed to some models or computer simulations, then Battle of Britain is certainly one. There were real Spitfires, Hurricanes,bombers, etc. with the exception that the bad guys were ex Spanish 109 s and He-111s instead of luftwaffe. The airfields were real, prominently Duxford. The in cockpit pilot views out the front of the Spitfire were real, taken by a movie camera in the front seat.
One I really enjoyed because of the stars, Grace Kelly,William Holden etc, was BRIDGES AT TOKO RI, which I think is based on real events even if it was with Skyraiders and not F9F jets. It won an Academy award for special effects, and also used real Navy combat footage. Battle of Britain is on my list, superbly executed authentic story telling. For me the best part of Toko Ri is the comedic turns of those funny Sikorsky pilots, Mickey Rooney and Earl Holliman. Come to think of it, the Sikorsky itself is pretty funny looking.

Ron Blum
10-25-2013, 07:42 PM
"Skyward" - GE Aviation Theater for TV. Starred Bette Davis & Suzy Gilstrap with Ron Howard as the director (his first), I believe).

Floatsflyer
10-25-2013, 09:09 PM
I'm lying on the couch watching Real Time with Bill Maher and it suddenly occurs to me that I've just remembered 2 great ones that somehow didn't get into the cerebellum until just now: Martin Scorsese's "The Aviator" and "Catch-22"- the best satirical, anti-war movie with B-25's in it ever made.

rwanttaja
10-25-2013, 10:19 PM
Well then, using your self-proclaimed WAMS scale, I offer, in no particular order, my subjective list of the 10 best aviation themed feature films that meet those criteria:

Air Force
The Right Stuff
Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines
Hells Angels
Reach For The Sky
Only Angels Have Wings
Battle of Britain
The Great Waldo Pepper
Captains of the Clouds
Memphis Belle

I declare the can of worms to be open!
Well, disagree with some, agree with others, still others, it's been so long since I've seen 'em, I can't vote either way.

Wouldn't include "Air Force" as a high-scoring film. It basically was a WWII propaganda movie... well done, but the plot pretty dated. Technical accuracy... well, eight words: "Shooting Fifty Caliber Machine Guns from the Hip".

"Hell's Angels" is another example... the plot is pretty silly, and the acting is the overacting style that was left over from silent films.. But it is rescued by the amount of aerial action, and the filming of the dogfight scenes. It's also the source of that famous photo of Rosco Turner getting "photobombed" while having his picture taken next to the "Gotha." (Another pilot giving the finger from under the fuselage. I'd post it, but Hal would probably whack me).

As mentioned earlier, "Captains of the Clouds" deserves a good spot just for including the real Billy Bishop in the cast. However, much of the plot is just the usual romantic conflict.

Ron Wanttaja

rwanttaja
10-25-2013, 10:24 PM
I'm lying on the couch watching Real Time with Bill Maher and it suddenly occurs to me that I've just remembered 2 great ones that somehow didn't get into the cerebellum until just now: Martin Scorsese's "The Aviator" and "Catch-22"- the best satirical, anti-war movie with B-25's in it ever made.
Agree with you on both. I think "The Aviator" is a very underrated flick (Scorsese's film, not the ~1980s Christopher Reeve butchering of Gann's story). Also enjoy "Catch-22".

B-25s are fairly rare in modern war movies. One to consider (though it has no flying) is "Sole Survivor," which uses the "Lady Be Good" saga as inspiration. Stars Richard Basehart and William Shatner. Interesting psychological story.

Ron Wanttaja

Anymouse
10-26-2013, 01:17 AM
The forums seem a bit slow of late, so to stir up some conversation - what's your pick for best aviation movie of all time and why? Action flicks, war movies, documentaries...they are all fair game. Now that I've posted the question, I'll have to think on it a bit. "Always" is definitely amongst the top of my list.

Zack

It'll probably never make it on to DVD, but it does show up on TV from time to time. Blaze of Noon is based the Ernie Gann book. The movie, about 4 brothers that are airmail pilots, actually follows the book pretty close.

steve
10-26-2013, 05:38 AM
I remember that scene in Magnificent Men wherein the old heiress tries to get the dashing young pilot interested in her niece. First she asks him if he is available on Tuesday. To which he replies, "I have an evening of brandy and cigars at the Club." Then she asks about Thursday. "I cannot. I play golf on Thursday." Exasperated, she inquires about Sunday. "Madam", he forcibly states, "Sunday is for flying!"

bboss74
10-26-2013, 03:47 PM
Blackhawk Down, while not entirely an aviation film, is one of the most accurate portrayals there is, down to the very airframes, and in some cases the pilots themselves.

Of course, I am biased a bit towards Army Aviation!

NSDQ!

Tommuller2000
10-26-2013, 05:59 PM
High and the Mighty, Islands in the Sky, Top Gun and Air America. It's about the flying, not the chicks and not the vintage airplanes.

Flyfalcons
10-26-2013, 06:47 PM
Air America and Flight of the Intruder had some good Vietnam-era airplane porn. Great Skyraider scenes in Flight of the Intruder.

Zack Baughman
10-28-2013, 07:15 AM
Martin Scorsese's "The Aviator" and "Catch-22"- the best satirical, anti-war movie with B-25's in it ever made.

Both great films IMHO. The EAA AirVenture Museum has a direct connection to Catch-22: our B-25 was used in the filming! At that time it was in a camouflage paint scheme and called "Berlin Express." Here's a photo I found of it online (with credit to Richard Kamm and August Horvath):

Hal Bryan
10-28-2013, 08:13 AM
Zack's comment reminded me of another favorite film of mine, 1939's Tail Spin, starring Alice Faye, and featuring a cameo by our Museum's Chester Special, aka Chester Jeep.

Lots of great golden age airplane spotting, and a fun movie overall, though it can be hard to find.

3376 (http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/92218/Tail-Spin/)

bgrjr
10-28-2013, 10:13 AM
Missing the movie Cloud Dancer,, about acro pilot ( David Carridine) lots of EAA logos in the background and a cameo by Tom Poberezny

Floatsflyer
10-28-2013, 05:45 PM
Zack's comment reminded me of another favorite film of mine, 1939's Tail Spin, starring Alice Faye, and featuring a cameo by our Museum's Chester Special, aka Chester Jeep.

Lots of great golden age airplane spotting, and a fun movie overall, though it can be hard to find.

3376 (http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/92218/Tail-Spin/) I was not familiar with this title. That's quite the cast of A list actresses of the day and an aviation film centered on aviatrixes in air races is quite unique for 1939 or even today. Pancho Barnes and Jackie Cochrane must have been impressed and proud. This film must be a favourite of the Ninety-Nines. Wonder if it was used in the recruiting process for WASPS?

Mike Berg
10-28-2013, 05:51 PM
I liked "Top Gun" but my favorite has to be "Twelve Oclock High".

rwanttaja
10-28-2013, 08:30 PM
Both great films IMHO. The EAA AirVenture Museum has a direct connection to Catch-22: our B-25 was used in the filming!

Well, geeze Zack, Frank Tallman assembled 18 B-25s for filming "Catch-22". Saying a particular B-25 participated in the movie is like saying a particular celebrity slept with Madonna; interesting, but not too unique. :-)

Ron Wanttaja

rwanttaja
10-28-2013, 08:38 PM
Although not an aviation movie specifically, one classic should be mentioned if for only one memorable scene: "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World". The gentleman who flew the Twin Beech through the sign was later my first flight instructor, so I have a personal connection to that movie. (well, two personal connections, but that's another story).

Duuuude.... when researching another post, I noticed that Frank Tallman flew the Twin Beech. I know your other connection to the film, so I can see how you'd come in contact with him.

So, what was Tallman like, as an instructor?

Ron Wanttaja

fastaviationdata
11-03-2013, 11:26 PM
The Right Stuff is a good aviation movie.

John Craparo
11-05-2013, 09:06 AM
I do not think that anyone mentioned Wings, the first winner of the Academy Award for best picture. Both Richard Arlen and Buddy Rogers were pilots in their private lives. I believe it was also the first appearance of Gary Cooper in a supporting movie role. As an aside, WWI aviator William Wellman was a young director who went on to direct other films like The High and he Mighty (his son was the little boy traveling alone on the flight).

Someone mentioned that they liked seeing all the replicas in Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines. Note that most of the planes were flying originals from the Shuttleworth Collection.

Being an Ercoupe guy, I have to add that the Hope/Crosby film, Road to Rio is a favorite. Who knew that an Ercoupe could hold about a dozen passengers including pilots and a flight attendant! Maybe not the Right Stuff, but good stuff.

John

Hal Bryan
11-05-2013, 10:48 AM
I do not think that anyone mentioned Wings, the first winner of the Academy Award for best picture. Both Richard Arlen and Buddy Rogers were pilots in their private lives. I believe it was also the first appearance of Gary Cooper in a supporting movie role. As an aside, WWI aviator William Wellman was a young director who went on to direct other films like The High and he Mighty (his son was the little boy traveling alone on the flight).

I'm pretty sure I mentioned it in my earlier post, but I also mentioned a few dozen others since I really struggle to pick a favorite!

I had the chance to see Wings on the big (huge, actually: it was 80 feet wide) screen last spring, presented by William Wellman Jr., the director's son you mentioned. It was great to get some insights into the making of the film, and then to see it beautifully restored with a newly-recorded score was just amazing. The flying scenes were remarkable, and one scene in particular - a top-down view of a bombing run - still has me reeling.

I can also recommend Wellman Jr.'s book, The Man and His Wings: William A. Wellman and the Making of the First Best Picture, for anyone interested in the story behind the story.

jbandstr
11-05-2013, 03:24 PM
I like Midway, the Spirit of St. Louis, and the Tuskegee Airmen.

Buzz
11-11-2013, 05:22 PM
The Great Waldo Pepper

A_V8TOR
11-18-2013, 08:56 AM
I have a movie but I can't remember its name.
It's about two guys that were to ferry 2 planes somewhere over the Pacific.
They flew to Hawaii as a stop point.
One plane ditched on take off and the other continued on only to get lost.
He was assisted by an airliner who got him back to land.
Great aviation drama and I think it was a true story.
Anyone seen it and can recall the name?

Hal Bryan
11-18-2013, 09:16 AM
I'm betting it was Mercy Mission: The Rescue of Flight 771, starring Scott Bakula and Robert Loggia:

http://www.allmy.nl/movieimg/12073/Mercy_Mission__The_Rescue_of_Flight_771_(1993).jpg (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107556/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_56)

Mike Kitslaar
09-19-2019, 12:15 PM
I can't believe that no one has mentioned the B-29 film, The Last Flight of Noah's Ark. I believe it was Kermit Weeks Fertile Myrtle used for the flying scenes.

Ronald Franck
09-19-2019, 01:53 PM
What???? No mention of Baa Baa Blacksheep? Sky King? Poncho Barnes? Midway? Tora Tora Tora? Pearl Harbor? Flat Top? Spitfire?
I lost my recording of Tailspin (1939). Anyone got a copy?

Bobrob
09-19-2019, 04:16 PM
Airport, Airport 75 (this one made me believe every 747 pilot looked like Ephram Zimbalist Jr and smoked a pipe) and Terror in the Sky...a made for TV movie with Doug McClure (he plays a passenger who has to land an airliner who's crew got sick because they had fish instead of chicken...only he "flew helicopters in the war, never anything like this!!!" Sound familiar?)

Ronald Franck
09-19-2019, 06:51 PM
One that I like that not very many people seem to have seen is "Dark Blue World." It tells the story of Czech pilots flying in the RAF during WWII.
Zack, if you like "Dark Blue World" then you'll find favor in the movie "Mission of Honor."

Ronald Franck
09-19-2019, 06:58 PM
I thought the movie "The Hindenburg" was worthy of mention.

Kyle Boatright
09-19-2019, 07:01 PM
...and Terror in the Sky...a made for TV movie with Doug McClure (he plays a passenger who has to land an airliner who's crew got sick because they had fish instead of chicken...only he "flew helicopters in the war, never anything like this!!!" Sound familiar?)

Doug Mcclure? How about "Flight of the Birdmen" a movie based around the Colditz Cock, a glider constructed by POW's and intended to be launched off of the roof of the castle. The real one never flew, but in the movie...

Ronald Franck
09-19-2019, 07:08 PM
Kyle, I was just about to ask about that movie but wasn't the title "Escape of the Birdmen"?

And has anyone mentioned "Flyboys"? That's a favorite of mine.

The WORST aviation movie I started to watch was "Air Strike" with Bruce Willis. It was so bad I couldn't get through the first half.

Kyle Boatright
09-19-2019, 07:59 PM
Kyle, I was just about to ask about that movie but wasn't the title "Escape of the Birdmen"?.

Sure was. Still a good POW flick.

Airmutt
09-19-2019, 08:48 PM
Aww, c’mon guys it’s got to be 12 O’Clock High. Any movie that starts with the cranking of an R1820 is gotta win. Not to mention the Paul Mantz belly landing; and he wasn’t supposed to hit the tent. And who wouldn’t want the Robin Hood tankard on their man cave mantel????

Kyle Boatright
09-19-2019, 08:52 PM
Aww, c’mon guys it’s got to be 12 O’Clock High. Any movie that starts with the cranking of an R1820 is gotta win. Not to mention the Paul Mantz belly landing; and he wasn’t supposed to hit the tent. And who wouldn’t want the Robin Hood tankard on their man cave mantel????

Great movie. Love the segue into and out of WWII.

The High and the Mighty is a personal favorite, given that John Wayne whistles "I'm a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech" after a climatic moment.

Ronald Franck
09-19-2019, 09:37 PM
Since we're all 'homebuilders" here then one of our favorite fellow EAA members and action hero, Harrison Ford should rank pretty high with his movie "6 Days and 7 Nights."
I mean, come on, who else could drag a float from a derelict Japanese WWII aircraft out of the jungle, slap it onto a wrecked Beaver and fly it back to civilization?

BusyLittleShop
09-19-2019, 10:55 PM
1965 Flight of the Phoenix... the movie Paul Mantz gave his life for...

https://youtu.be/V0hIoLNecqI

1938 Test Pilot... Clark Gabel Spencer Tracy Myrna Loy

https://youtu.be/6iIQ076uiEE

1943 Air Force... The film's storyline revolves around the actual incident that occurred on December 7 so this movie will give you a feeling what America was up against...

https://youtu.be/_Xyol4b9Law

Bill Greenwood
09-20-2019, 08:54 AM
Talk about stars: Bridges of Tokyo Ri not only has William Holden as the mature lawyer from Denver who is called up from his private life and practice, to fly off a carrier to attack in Korea, but no less than Grace Kelley as the wife left at home, they don't come any more beautiful than that. William Holden also stars in one of my other most favorite movies, of the Robin Hood/King Arthur era as Ivanhoe . this time with Liz Taylor as the heroine. I had a friend who actually flew off the Bon Homne Richard to attack in Korea and got his wing man shot down and made it back to the carrier with major engine damage.

rwanttaja
09-20-2019, 11:47 AM
Talk about stars: Bridges of Tokyo Ri not only has William Holden as the mature lawyer from Denver who is called up from his private life and practice, to fly off a carrier to attack in Korea, but no less than Grace Kelley as the wife left at home, they don't come any more beautiful than that.

Not to mention Fredrick March, Earl Holliman, and, of course, Mickey Rooney in one of his few serious/non-satirical adult roles. Plays a pilot, even.

Holden has another major role as a pilot... he plays a test pilot with PTSD in "Toward the Unknown." They filmed that movie at Edwards in the early '50s, and there are a lot of interesting prototypes shown.

Ron Wanttaja

Kyle Boatright
09-20-2019, 01:24 PM
Dive Bomber is a worthwhile watch too. Beautiful pre-WWII paint schemes.

Mayhemxpc
09-20-2019, 03:32 PM
I am glad this thread came back to life. I mentioned before using certain films for leadership training. The High and Mighty, a favorite among some here, is also THE classic training film for "Crew Resource Management.":D

Airmutt
09-20-2019, 04:48 PM
Obviously there are no Naval Aviators on this thread. No one has mentioned Wings of Eagles. John Wayne did a much better job in this film. The sequence where he goes over the side is pretty darn good. NO CAKE!

Sirota
09-23-2019, 02:21 PM
12 o'clock High is probably best but Thunder Birds is corny but neat scenes of dozens (hundreds?) of Stearman. Gene Tierney isn't too hard to look at either :)

tr7v8
09-23-2019, 03:32 PM
Agree with most of these. An obvious omissions, First of the Few: Story of RJ Mitchell & the Spitfire.

martymayes
09-23-2019, 05:26 PM
Not an aviation movie per se, but I get a good belly laugh every time I see Truman Sparks flying scenes in the movie "Fandago."

Joda
09-24-2019, 07:16 AM
There's been a heck of a lot of good aviation movies, a few great ones (most of which are already mentioned in this thread), and a few duds (also mentioned in this thread). But there are two that I find myself watching again and again:

The Great Waldo Pepper - already mentioned several times in this thread. There's just something about this flick that brings me back to it time and time again.

Deadly Encounter - Stars Larry Hagman, Susan Anspach, and James Gammon. There is some absolutely amazing, over-the-top helicopter flying in this one. Rotorheads need to see it!!

rwanttaja
09-24-2019, 08:53 AM
Deadly Encounter - Stars Larry Hagman, Susan Anspach, and James Gammon. There is some absolutely amazing, over-the-top helicopter flying in this one. Rotorheads need to see it!!
Speaking of eggbeater movies, I also recall "Birds of Prey", with David Janssen (1973). Traffic reporter sees bank robbers escaping by helicopter and gives chase.

Ron Wanttaja

Joda
09-24-2019, 09:33 AM
Speaking of eggbeater movies, I also recall "Birds of Prey", with David Janssen (1973). Traffic reporter sees bank robbers escaping by helicopter and gives chase.

Yep, Birds of Prey isn't bad, but it's not as good as Deadly Encounter.

jbandstr
09-24-2019, 11:30 AM
Mine is Midway.

Capndar
09-24-2019, 11:52 AM
Not to repeat what has been said....Failsafe, Dr Strangelove, Flight of the Intruder

rwanttaja
09-24-2019, 12:18 PM
Kinda funny...this thread is so old, I had to skim back to check if I'm repeating stuff I've already posted.

"Star of Africa" was available on Amazon Prime, not sure if it still is. It's a 1957 German film ("Der Stern von Afrika"), a biopic about one of their top WWII aces, Hans-Joachim Marseille. The aircraft effects are variable, from obvious models to ground shots featuring Spanish ME-109s (same ones eventually used in the Battle of Britain movie).

Another neat movie I found on Amazon Prime is "Resisting Enemy Interrogation." There's only a slight bit of stock flying footage in there, but it's actually a pretty good fictional story, about how German intelligence officers piece together information from shot-down American airmen.

Ron Wanttaja

Baron von Tor
09-25-2019, 04:50 AM
I had to go back also, how time flies...surprised I remembered my login.

Tailspin was mentioned a few times, along with Tarnished Angels it gets shown on TCM now & again. Great vintage racers in both.

lnuss
09-25-2019, 05:34 PM
Here's a list of the movies I found mentioned so far in this thread. Vim (the text editor) says there are 102 lines:

12 O'Clock High
6 Days and 7 Nights
633 Squadron
A Guy Named Joe
A gathering of Eagles
Above and Beyond
Air America
Air Force
Air Strike
Airplane
Airport
Airport 75
Always
Baa Baa Blacksheep
Barnstorming
Battle of Brittain
Birds of Prey
Blackhawk Down
Blaze of Noon
Blue Max
Blue Thunder
Captains of the Clouds
Carnauba: a Son's Memoir
Catch-22
Cloud Dancer
Dark Blue World
Deadly Encounter
Death Hunt
Dive Bomber
Dr Strangelove
Escape of the Birdmen
Failsafe
Fandago
Fighter Squadron
Final Countdown
First of the Few
Flat Top
Flight of the Intruder
Flight of the Phoenix
Flyboys
Flying Route 66
For the Moment
Hell's Angels
High Road to China
Iron Eagle
Island in the Sky
Ladies Crave Excitement
Le Chavaliers du Ciel
Memphis Belle
Mercy Mission: The Rescue of Flight 771
Midway
Mission of Honor
One Six Right
Only Angels Have Wings
Pancho Barnes
Pearl Harbor
Piece of Cake
Reach for the Sky
Resisting Enemy Interrogation
Ripcords
Sky King
Skyward
Soldier of Orange
Spitfire
Star of Africa
Steve Canyon
Strategic Air Command
Tail Spin
Tarnished Angels
Task Force
Test Pilot
The Arrow
The Aviator
The Blue Max
The Bridges at Toko-Ri
The Dam Busters
The Defender
The Great Circle Air Safari
The Great Waldo Pepper
The High and the Mighty
The Hindenburg
The Hunters
The Last Flight of Noah's Ark
The McConnell Story
The Pilot
The Right Stuff
The Rocketeer
The Spirit of St. Louis
The War Lover
Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines
Thunder Birds
Thunder Over Reno
Top Gun
Tora! Tora! Tora!
Toward the Unknown
Tuskegee Airmen
Waldo Pepper
Whirly Birds
Winged Migration
Wings
Wings of Eagles
Zero Hour

steve
09-25-2019, 07:28 PM
American Made with Tom Cruise

BusyLittleShop
09-26-2019, 12:40 AM
Saved... thanks for compiling the list...

Joda
09-26-2019, 09:05 AM
American Made with Tom Cruise

American Made is a total hoot!! VERY ficntionalized version of a true story. Lots of fun, and a bit sad at the same time.

Favorite line:

Lucy: "There's money blowing around the back yard."

Barry: "I'll rake it up in the morning."

Hilarious!!

tr7v8
09-26-2019, 03:41 PM
Just remembered another Murphy's War with Peter O'toole. The scenes of Peter O'toole taxing are real he was terrified!
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067458/

Jake Speed
09-28-2019, 01:57 PM
"The High and the Mighty."

Reason I became a pilot.

Song also.

Jake Speed

Puertoricoflyer
09-29-2019, 07:03 AM
AIRPLANE!!! And don't call me Shirley.

Jake Speed
10-09-2019, 05:23 PM
Flight 174,

True story.

BusyLittleShop
10-09-2019, 07:19 PM
Lafayette Escadrille

It was the final film in the career of director William A. Wellman (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_A._Wellman) and is based on his original story as a 1917 fighter pilot.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/bf/Wellman_and_Nieuport.jpg/220px-Wellman_and_Nieuport.jpg

https://youtu.be/mDi-Y22c1f8

Fast Eddie
10-29-2019, 10:45 PM
The absolute WORST aviation movie EVER:
“Flight Surgeons”, 1930’s staring Errol Flynn.
Wearing ridiculous smocks.
And they are all CONSTANTLY SMOKING CIGARETTES!! LMAO!

Airmutt
10-30-2019, 06:18 AM
Errol Flynn never did a movie titled Flight Surgeons. You’re probably thinking about the movie Dive Bomber. The story line may not be great but there is a lot of color video of pre WWII US naval aircraft. As for the smoking, it seems like everyone smoked in films back then.

lnuss
10-30-2019, 07:14 AM
As for the smoking, it seems like everyone smoked in films back then.
And not just in films. Even in the '50s and '60s smoking was everywhere. RFD-TV has reruns of the Porter Wagoner show, and occasional audience shots show people smoking right in their seats. You could smoke almost anywhere except where it might cause fire danger. That was just part of life back then.

Joda
10-30-2019, 07:35 AM
Errol Flynn never did a movie titled Flight Surgeons. You’re probably thinking about the movie Dive Bomber. The story line may not be great but there is a lot of color video of pre WWII US naval aircraft. As for the smoking, it seems like everyone smoked in films back then.

Dive Bomber is an excellent movie. Not for the story line, but for the great footage of pre-WWII Navy aircraft. Gotta love the TBD Devastators! Don't see those flying around these days!

dclaxon
10-30-2019, 01:29 PM
And not just in films. Even in the '50s and '60s smoking was everywhere. RFD-TV has reruns of the Porter Wagoner show, and occasional audience shots show people smoking right in their seats. You could smoke almost anywhere except where it might cause fire danger. That was just part of life back then.

As I recall, there were even ash trays in the armrests of the movie theater seats back then.

Dave

robert l
10-30-2019, 04:14 PM
As I recall, there were even ash trays in the armrests of the movie theater seats back then.

Dave
And on the arm rest of commercial aircraft as late as the mid 80's. I think they had band smoking but some of the airlines still had the ash tray seats.
Bob

Floatsflyer
10-30-2019, 06:07 PM

Dave

Those seats were only in a designated area of a theatre called "The Loges" and you paid an extra 50 cents to a dollar to sit there in order to smoke. The Loges were in the balcony of a theatre that had one. If a theatre didn't have a balcony then it was no smoking allowed.

Floatsflyer
10-30-2019, 06:17 PM
And on the arm rest of commercial aircraft as late as the mid 80's. I think they had band smoking but some of the airlines still had the ash tray seats.
Bob

NEWS FLASH! When I began flying in the 70's and all through the 80's and early 90's all Cessna aircraft had ashtrays on both sides of the front seats as well as the back seats. I was a smoker then and when I flew solo I felt literally on top of the world, sitting back, flying, scanning for other aircraft and smoking. I thought it was the coolest thing I would ever do.

rwanttaja
10-30-2019, 07:32 PM
Those seats were only in a designated area of a theatre called "The Loges" and you paid an extra 50 cents to a dollar to sit there in order to smoke. The Loges were in the balcony of a theatre that had one. If a theatre didn't have a balcony then it was no smoking allowed.

Dunno, Floats...I seem to recall pretty general smoking in the theaters, when I grew up. Clouds of smoke lit by the projector.

Sure looks like the guy to the far right of the second row is smoking....

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-FnBGjkFHXSQ/Ul3LCt7pVgI/AAAAAAAAIeo/mao_BihLzO4/s1600/audience-001.jpg
Ron Wanttaja

Floatsflyer
10-30-2019, 08:39 PM
That guy looks like he's smoking illegally. I mean, c'mon look at the woman he's with.

What I described is the way it was in Ontario.

MEdwards
10-31-2019, 03:33 PM
What I described is the way it was in Ontario.Did they play God Save the Queen before the movie started?

Floatsflyer
10-31-2019, 04:54 PM
Did they play God Save the Queen before the movie started?

I'm sure it was for the first half of the 20th century. But for sure "O Canada" over film of the new Maple Leaf flag swaying in the air only played in the 60's and maybe 70's. After that playing the national anthem in movie theatres and other entertainment venues mostly fell out of favour by the major exhibitor chains in the big cities. The anthem may have continued to play in small town theatres and for all I know maybe still does.

Anymouse
11-02-2019, 10:22 AM
I'll throw out a couple that aren't on the list...

The Gypsy Moths (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064397/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1) - It's more of a skydiving film though. Amazon Prime has it, but I don't believe it's free.

The Red Baron (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365675/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1) - I got this movie from the EAA when they were giving away stuff to be reviewed. My review was "It's like Fly Boys, but from the German perspective," or words to that effect. It also stars Lena Heady who played Cersei in Game of Thrones. It can be watched for free on IMDB.

Anymouse
11-02-2019, 10:53 AM
Almost forgot...

There are two completely different movies called "The Aviator." The one everyone knows is a biopic on Howard Hughes and starred Leonardo DiCaprio. The second lesser known movie was based on a book written by Earnest K Gann and starred Christopher Reeves, who not only played Superman, but was also an accomplished pilot.

DiCaprio's movie (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338751/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1)

Reeves' movie (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088758/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2)

Mayhemxpc
11-03-2019, 11:41 AM
I liked both Flyboys and the Red Baron. They flow into the category of “faction.” Somewhere between fact and fiction. Flyboys is more “historical fiction”. Red Baron is something else as it is about a real person and includes a lot of truth with some (a lot?) of “liberties” to try to give a general perspective without being specifically accurate. (It is probably no more inaccurate than other biopics like “Patton” and “The Desert Fox.”) A fun movie nonetheless.

rwanttaja
11-03-2019, 02:01 PM
I liked both Flyboys and the Red Baron. They flow into the category of “faction.” Somewhere between fact and fiction. Flyboys is more “historical fiction”. Red Baron is something else as it is about a real person and includes a lot of truth with some (a lot?) of “liberties” to try to give a general perspective without being specifically accurate. (It is probably no more inaccurate than other biopics like “Patton” and “The Desert Fox.”) A fun movie nonetheless.

"Flyboys"....? Well, that one makes me cringe. My wife still laughs about how I was so excited to go to it, then started grumbling. It's not just the airplane stuff....I have a lot of tolerance for Hollywood there...but the hackneyed plot.

Ironically, the TIVO caught this a few years ago, and I girded my loins and watched it again. Thought it wasn't as bad as I remembered...then realized the movie had been extensively cut and tightened up. Including completely eliminating the romantic sub-plot and cutting the "saving the girlfriend" ending.

"The Red Baron" I enjoyed, and have re-watched since the first time. Like Chris says, there are a lot of liberties taken with the truth, but felt the movie did things decently.

Mmmmm...quiet Sunday afternoon, wife is out of town for the weekend. Time to get out "The Blue Max" DVD.....

Ron "There's something of the cobra in you" Wanttaja

P.S., Read the book. It's different from the movie in a number of ways, not least of which that Stachel survives the war....."

Floatsflyer
11-03-2019, 04:56 PM
Mmmmm...quiet Sunday afternoon, wife is out of town for the weekend. Time to get out "The Blue Max" DVD.....

Next to Hells Angels 2nd best dramatic depiction of WW1 aviation warfare. Almost 100% real flying with purpose built replicas and some modifications(like DH Moths dressed up as German and British aircraft) but real flying unlike Flyboys which also made me squirm.

Joda
11-04-2019, 08:12 AM
Almost forgot...

There are two completely different movies called "The Aviator." The one everyone knows is a biopic on Howard Hughes and starred Leonardo DiCaprio. The second lesser known movie was based on a book written by Earnest K Gann and starred Christopher Reeves, who not only played Superman, but was also an accomplished pilot.

DiCaprio's movie (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338751/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1)

Reeves' movie (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088758/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2)

Good that you pointed this out. I'm betting not too many have seen the Christopher Reeves movie. It's not too bad. The DiCaprio flick is OK, but not stellar in my view.

And then Ron W. mentioned "The Blue Max". Now I gotta dig that one out and watch it again!!

Bob Dingley
11-05-2019, 04:16 PM
I need to mention "Black Sunday" released in 1977 and starring Robert Shaw as the hero & Bruce Dern as a terrorist. The short version of the plot is:
Terrorists get a man into the cockpit of a blimp loaded with explosives, and its Superbowl Sunday. Bruce Dern maneuvers it inside the filled Superbowl. A helicopter gets a rope on it, tows it clear where it explodes.
Ive seen better plots, photography and acting. What makes it important for me is the company that I flew 135 for was contracted for the pilot and helo for this movie. Air Logistics, a Louisiana based oil field outfit also had a small operation near L.A. where the movie was shot. The Bell 212 "Twin Huey" (the real star) was one our working aircraft. Later, I was assigned N92AL on routine Gulf of Mexico jobs many times. The credits listed someone I've never heard of as the pilot. I understand that this gent was a member of SAG and all the cockpit shots were done by him. The REAL pilot was an Air Logistics pilot by the name of Jim Cullpeper. No mention of Jim in the credits. N92AL didn't make the credits either. Jim was with the company for years.

Floatsflyer
11-05-2019, 07:16 PM
Tonight, just saw "Parachute Jumper", 1932 on TCM. I didn't know this title, have never seen it before. "A" lister cast with Douglas Fairbanks Jr. and Bette Davis about a couple of former military pilots who have fallen on hard times during the depression. They meet a mobster who pays them big bucks to fly booze from Canada across the border during prohibition.

A few good flying scenes with vintage aircraft including a dog fight with 2 US border patrol aircraft that they literally shoot down with gangster type tommy guns.

rwanttaja
11-05-2019, 08:01 PM
There are some oldies on Amazon Prime; movies from the '30s that feature flying.

Note I'm not saying "oldies but goodies," some of these are pretty bad. Though the flying scenes are mostly real. There's one with John Wayne as pilot in the French Foreign Legion.....

Ron "Tiens, voilà du boudin" Wanttaja

FlyingRon
11-06-2019, 07:28 AM
The absolute WORST aviation movie EVER:
“Flight Surgeons”, 1930’s staring Errol Flynn.
Wearing ridiculous smocks.
And they are all CONSTANTLY SMOKING CIGARETTES!! LMAO!
More doctors smoke Camels than any other cigarette.

Jake Speed
11-06-2019, 06:32 PM
If you can deal with subtitles,

The Crew,

Isn't all that bad a movie. It'll surprise you.

Jake Speed

BusyLittleShop
11-08-2019, 07:53 PM
Steven Spielberg's gag filled war story gets my vote... I think none other than legendary Frank Tallman is the real
P40 pilot played by John Belushi as Wild Bill Kelso...

https://youtu.be/CPnwlNvwBLI

https://youtu.be/jJZ5x-zUx28

Official Trailer...

https://youtu.be/6_KOLqpo7z8

enginesrus
11-23-2019, 06:50 PM
Airpower was my favorite as a youngster. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Power_(TV_series)

2ndsegment
04-11-2020, 01:17 PM
My era had "The Blue Max" and "The Great Waldo Pepper". My son's era had "Top Gun." Now, my grandson's era had "Planes." For overall messiness, there was "Catch 22." "Tora, Tora,Tora" is about something real so it is easily compared with history and found not as compelling. For me that is "Top Gun" I was sent across the room to shake Pete Pettigrew's hand after he came back from Vietnam and "Got his MIG." At the time I felt a bit unsure as I had put on a lot of weight to match Paul Anderson and in my mind I was "The Man Who Lived at the Ritz." Uggh!

2ndsegment
04-11-2020, 01:27 PM
I met William Holden after his "Grosser Mercedes" chased my Chevrolet pickup up the hill to Zabriskie Point one early morning in Death Valley. He was mostly interested in my wife. Sure, I know, lots of people work with him on a movie all day long for days. Such teasing by fame!

2ndsegment
04-11-2020, 01:41 PM
I've asked folks elsewhere if they think "Tillie" the crane used in Bridges at Toko Ri, as a block after the net on the carrier, was based on the Tillie from the National Physics Laboratory, who rode her Norton International motorcycle to all the Spitfire bases, in WW-II to deliver the membrane she developed for the SU carburetor on the Merlin so they could simply nose over and pull negative (redout) g's instead of having to rollover as in an Immelmann.

LUSCOMBE PHANTOM
04-21-2020, 01:21 PM
[QUOTE=martymayes;78210]Not an aviation movie per se, but I get a good belly laugh every time I see Truman Sparks flying scenes in the movie "Fandago."[/QUOTEThe fandango movie while not truly an aviation film, this film is a sleeper and it should be in everybody's collection of just a great fun film. Truman Sparks ( as a character, is the genuine article )

LUSCOMBE PHANTOM
04-21-2020, 02:17 PM
The list of aviation related films, whether good or bad, is very long, so I will keep my list to just 7 films, based upon the premise of, ( if I could only pick 7, if I was stranded on an island with the ability to watch films )

1 .............The war lover, excellent film, McQueen was great in it.

2. .............The flight of the Phoenix, the original with Jimmy Stewart

3. ..............Captain of the clouds with Cagney, I am partial to vintage float planes, and the movie was a good story.

4. .............. Dunkirk, its taken me a while to warm up to it, but this film is a very unique film, I thoroughly enjoy watching it.

5. ...............Fandango, purely for the sheer madness and acting skills of Marvin J. McIntyre as Truman Sparks and the Pecos Parachute School.

6. ...............Always. The owner of the PBY in the film, Robert P. Schlaefli, was a personal friend of mine. He commissioned me to do a run of shirts of his Catalina. I used to go hang out with him over at his hangar in Moses lake Washington. Those that knew him and I as well sure do miss him. He passed away in 2003.

7. .................The Aviator, by Scorsese. Good true story, and the inclusion of the Sikorsky S-38 made me smile. The crew out at Owatona Minnesota ( BAR ) when Buzz Caplan was alive, Gary Underlund and a crew of talented craftsmen built two of these replicas. I would stop by each summer after OSHKOSH and would stop in and see how the progress was coming along on these amazing planes.

Bob Dingley
04-24-2020, 02:23 PM
There has been a Tom Cruise movie being played on various channels on my sat subscription. I recommend "American made" with Cruise starring as Barry Seale. His co star is an Aerostar. Lots of scenes shot in and around the Louisiana offshore oilfields among other places. Some of my fellow pilots in the "oil patch" knew him.

BusyLittleShop
04-24-2020, 06:51 PM
I loved Fandango... specially the scene where the Cessna makes a low pass over the runway and you hear the tinkle of falling hardware in its wake... precious...

Dana
04-25-2020, 05:35 AM
"Waldo Pepper" is my favorite, it doesn't hurt that Dad took me to see it when I was a teenager, after reading all about the production in Flying magazine and waiting what seemed like forever for it to actually come out. "Magnificent Men" is a second, of just for the airplanes, not the inane plot.

I really tried to like "The Right Stuff", but although the book was great the movie was probably the most boring aviation movie I've seen.