PDA

View Full Version : 2013 EAA Stearman Sweepstakes Winner?

cogito
10-17-2013, 08:16 AM
I'm having trouble finding the winner to this year’s EAA Sweepstakes. The drawing was to take place this past Monday and the Sweepstakes page on the EAA site is already showing the Fairchild, who won the Stearman?

Thanks for the help.

Zack Baughman
10-17-2013, 08:53 AM
As I understand it, the winner has a window of time since the drawing was held in which to accept the prize. After he or she officially accepts, then I'm sure an announcement will be forthcoming.

Zack

cogito
10-17-2013, 10:05 AM
As I understand it, the winner has a window of time since the drawing was held in which to accept the prize. After he or she officially accepts, then I'm sure an announcement will be forthcoming.

Zack

Thanks Zack. Not accept a Stearman???

I guess state and fed income tax could be costly. Would one also have to pay state sales or “use” tax? Now it’s getting expensive.

rwanttaja
10-17-2013, 10:20 AM
Thanks Zack. Not accept a Stearman???

I guess state and fed income tax could be costly. Would one also have to pay state sales or “use” tax? Now it’s getting expensive.
I know the person who won the AOPA Archer. She was hit with a huge tax bill. If you're in the 30% bracket, you have to pay federal taxes equal to 30% of the value of the airplane. State income tax will also apply, for those who live in state that have one. For us that don't use/sales tax will ding you.

I know a guy who won a trip to Hawaii. Unfortunately, the contest organizers valued it at full fare (looks better in advertising... "win a trip worth $2000!") and the taxes he had to pay were higher than an economy ticket would have cost.

Ron Wanttaja

Zack Baughman
10-17-2013, 03:31 PM
http://www.eaa.org/news/2013/2013-10-17_we-have-a-winner.asp

cogito
10-17-2013, 06:08 PM
Zack, you beat me to it, thanks. He's a lifetime EAA member from Georgia and it looks like he's willing to brave the taxes.
Congratulations Mr. Lloyd, enjoy flying that beautiful airplane.