PDA

View Full Version : Autopilot

Christiangodin
09-30-2013, 07:25 PM
Any knows if Garmin G3X autopilot can be used in IFR flight?

thank You

martymayes
09-30-2013, 08:35 PM
Any knows if Garmin G3X autopilot can be used in IFR flight?

Installed in?

WLIU
10-01-2013, 07:29 AM
I am not aware of specific approvals required for the use of a specific model autopilot in general IFR flight. There are approvals required for stuff like Cat II & III approaches.

Since the G3X is for experimental and LSA panels, I expect that there should be no specific approval required for use in whatever IFR is flown. Its experimental. Do you expect to shoot a Cat II approach in your LSA?

Best of luck,

Wes
N78PS

FlyingRon
10-01-2013, 08:06 AM
I agree with Wes, I've never seen an IFR restriction on an autopilot. It's rather moot for your experimental anyhow. As long as you don't have a restriction in your operating limitations prohibiting it (and the specimen ones do not), there's typically not. IFR ops are generally permitted solely based on 91.205(d).

Todd copeland
10-08-2013, 05:17 PM
I agree with Wes, I've never seen an IFR restriction on an autopilot. It's rather moot for your experimental anyhow. As long as you don't have a restriction in your operating limitations prohibiting it (and the specimen ones do not), there's typically not. IFR ops are generally permitted solely based on 91.205(d).

Im putting it in my glasair 3 and it will fly a coupled approach. It is designed to handle IFR flight. However, you have to be the one to decide it is safe to fly with it IFR in your experimental aircraft.