PDA

View Full Version : Loose Nutsert

TedK
09-02-2013, 06:20 AM
I have an "almost vintage" Socata Rallye with many metric fasteners. There are several nutsert like fasteners that appear to have loosened with age and rotate in the hole. What is the best way to fix these?

Also, can these be tapped to the next larger English size so that I can standardize the external fasteners on English? (Many already are)

thanks!

WLIU
09-02-2013, 11:04 AM
If you are referring to a nutsert like these - http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/holethicknesschart.php?clickkey=8073

they are installed by compressing them lengthwise which expands them into the hole. You can try to make a tool from some threaded rod, washers, and nuts to compress them lengthwise a little more in hopes of expanding them back into gripping the sheet metal. I have done this to rivnuts with varying amounts of success. Drilling them all out to install SAE threaded ones sounds like a LOT of work but it is not hard, just tedious. Spruce would be happy to sell you the parts.

Oh, they are not designed to accept being tapped to a different thread pitch although you could try one as see how it goes after you get them crushed into place again.

Best of luck,

Wes

Kurt Flunkn
09-02-2013, 07:26 PM
A dab of red loctite sometimes can be an easy fix to stop rotation...