PDA

View Full Version : Aircrafts for Aerial Photogrammetry

Carol
08-27-2013, 08:54 PM
I am doing such a research about aircrafts for aerial photogrammetry. Most companies in China used CESSNA 208B for this area.But I think its operating cost is too high .I am wondering if we can use CESSNA 206 and CESSNA 172 instead.

According to the suvey I have done,a lot of people in USA use CESSNA 206.
But I really don't know why.

Regardless of the price and the cost, is 208 usually operates better than 206 in aerial photogrammetry?

Do you guys have any idea?

FlyingRon
08-28-2013, 04:50 AM
Depends on your camera and what altitudes you want to use. The STCs for 172/182's camera ports are usually limited to smaller format cameras. If you have a larger format camera you're going to have to go to the 206 or 208. The 208 has it nicely if you're doing higher altitude stuff but at 10K or whatever, you'll likely find the 206 much more economical.

martymayes
08-28-2013, 06:15 AM
It might have something to do with fuel availablility. You can find fuel to run a turbine engine anywhere in the world, avgas not so much.

WLIU
08-28-2013, 06:21 AM
Another factor might be fuel availability. 100LL is commonly available in the US. Is it harder to get in China?

Photos are taken for different reasons by different consumers. In the US there are a number of government agencies that fund aerial photography for different purposes. Flood survey, crop survey, visible light, IR, etc. In other parts of the world the governments may be using the data for different purposes which may favor higher altitude operating.

There is a 206 currently based at one of my home airports. The exhaust pipes are extended to aft of the camera. Not sure who is chartering it.

Best of luck,

Wes
N78PS

Best of luck,

Wes

Carol
08-29-2013, 01:07 AM
Depends on your camera and what altitudes you want to use. The STCs for 172/182's camera ports are usually limited to smaller format cameras. If you have a larger format camera you're going to have to go to the 206 or 208. The 208 has it nicely if you're doing higher altitude stuff but at 10K or whatever, you'll likely find the 206 much more economical.

The altitude we want to use may be around 3 kilometer.Mostly we use them for aerial mapping.And our equipment is kind of big.
We are wondering if 206 may be more suitable for us under such circumstance .

WLIU
08-29-2013, 06:29 AM
A C-206 will do fine at the altitude you are talking about. A turbo-206 will do even better (TU-206G). I used to fly both at that altitude. The actual limitation might be the size of your equipment but a 206 has a lot of room.

Best of luck,

Wes
N78PS