PDA

View Full Version : Camp Scholler Three-day Minimum.

Skyler Cannon
08-10-2013, 09:52 AM
A couple of years ago we arrived on Sunday evening and early on opening day had gotten one of those phone calls no one wants to get. We had to pack up and leave even before the gates opened. I was wondering, just what purpose does the 3-day minimum serve?

FlyingRon
08-10-2013, 03:23 PM
Assures revenue. There are some items that are fixed costs in the campground that they need to recover even if you only do one overnight. I've been camping at the EAA for 21 years and there's always been the minimum.

Skyler Cannon
08-11-2013, 08:31 AM
Ok, Assures revenue. Had that one figured out but what are the "some items that are fixed costs in the campground" that requires a single night stay for $75 or a 3 night stay for $75? I would think a 3 night stay would use more resources than a one night stand. A restaurant doesn't charge you for 3 meals when you only eat one, at least where I'm from. Been going since 2000 and always stay 4-5 nights but when you have an emergency it makes you think.

Jim Hann
08-11-2013, 10:15 AM
Not to change the topic but has anybody had this situation with one of the hotels in the area or the dorms? I'm just curious what their cancellation policies are during the show.

Jim

FlyingRon
08-11-2013, 11:19 AM
I can't believe you wouldn't be charged at least a night (I think the HGI is running close to $400, $359 + tax, dealer prep, etc...) and wouldn't be surprised if the whole reservation was non-refundable.

CarlOrton
08-11-2013, 11:31 AM
Not to change the topic but has anybody had this situation with one of the hotels in the area or the dorms? I'm just curious what their cancellation policies are during the show.

Jim

The dorms have a three night minimum reservation/payment. If you cancel after June 15th, they keep one night's charge but refund the rest of your deposits (must be fully paid for whatever number of nights you reserved prior to June 15th).

No idea if you show up, then have to vacate after the first night. Give them a call; 920-424-3226. We stay there every year.

Kyle Boatright
08-13-2013, 08:52 PM
Ok, Assures revenue. Had that one figured out but what are the "some items that are fixed costs in the campground" that requires a single night stay for $75 or a 3 night stay for $75? I would think a 3 night stay would use more resources than a one night stand. A restaurant doesn't charge you for 3 meals when you only eat one, at least where I'm from. Been going since 2000 and always stay 4-5 nights but when you have an emergency it makes you think.

Think about it... Building and maintaining that campground for use essentially one week a year is a fixed cost. You have to build and maintain shower houses, camp stores, fences, and whatever else. You have to rent "X" porta potties and a bunch of other stuff. Before the event even starts, all of the cost side decisions have been made. One more or one less attendee isn't going to make you rent more (or less) porta potties or change the shower cleaning schedule. Virtually everything about it is a fixed expense.

Cary
08-15-2013, 10:34 PM
I feel for anyone who has to vacate because of an emergency at home. But I also think there are those who would take advantage of it, so I have no problem with the 3-night minimum. In my case it's in airplane camping, but the rules are the same there--and except for the showers and the few porta-potties for airplane camping, the costs of maintenance are a lot lower than they are for Camp Scholler, I would think.

Cary

Skyler Cannon
08-21-2013, 12:00 PM
That same year we were intending to stay about 6 nights, the first time since 2000 that we purchased week long admissions so we had to eat that as well.
In any event, we stayed home this year because of similar circumstances.
As much as I hate to say it, these kinds of polices certainty make it easy to decide to stay home.