PDA

View Full Version : Wings X Pro vs. Foreflight

vash
08-06-2013, 11:21 AM
Hello, I am discarding the "near worethless" Garmin Pilot app and I am looking at going with Wings X or Foreflight. Could anyone offer advice from there own experience to help with this decision? Thanks in advance.

gbrasch
08-06-2013, 11:36 AM
I bet you get several different answers, but I compared both and liked Foreflight better.........

miemsed
08-06-2013, 11:44 AM
I used Foreflight and Wingx for about one year and settled on foreflight. Foreflight had a better look and feel for me.

MEdwards
08-06-2013, 12:41 PM
I am a very satisfied WingX user. I've only looked at Foreflight briefly, so I haven't done a real A/B comparison. The WingX user interface works for me, even though it's not as slick as Foreflght's. There are two things I like best:

(1) Innovation driven directly and remarkably quickly by user feedback. The designer is available on the AOPA forum and email, and he takes suggestions and implements them. Seems to me he's the innovation leader, coming out with things like Track Up and terrain alerts before the competition. Little gems like airport traffic patterns drawn on the sectionals, and a wind direction arrow based on METARs, are great. His shop seems frankly more "mom and pop," and therefore more responsive, than most current software development.

(2) WingX offers compatibility with a wide and growing range of ADS-B receivers, while Foreflight locks you into Sporty's and Stratus. Freedom of choice is important to me. I've read vehement arguments that that's dumb, Stratus is the best and it's a waste of time and money to look further, but I don't buy that. As a matter of fact, I did not buy that, I bought of the competition at Oshkosh, and I have no regrets.

A WingX weakness is its training which is basically help screens and UTube videos, which I would rate only fair. Even with that, it is not difficult at all to learn to use the program.

So, overall, I recommend WingX.

Mike E

gbrasch
08-06-2013, 01:25 PM
Also like to add, I noticed a minor bug with Foreflight. I asked the guy in the Oshkosh booth about it. He made a note to self as I stood there, and 2 days later the bug (really wasn't a bug, just some info I thought they should add) was fixed.

I_FLY_LOW
08-06-2013, 01:46 PM
Might I add in addition to, has anyone tried Avare?
http://avgps.wordpress.com/avare-overview/

I'm not an apple fanboy, and enjoy using Android, so just curious if anyone's used that also.

EZRider
08-06-2013, 01:46 PM
I've used both and found I prefer Foreflight

Jeff Boatright
08-06-2013, 02:31 PM
I have only used Foreflight, and I like it, but I would like to hear from others' experiences with Wings X Pro.

Joe LaMantia
08-07-2013, 07:23 AM
I bought a "mini" IPad this past April and I'm using Wings X and very happy with this application. I made my decision having seen Wings X in action through a fellow pilot, and listening to this same discussion on this blog at that time. Given that both products get good reviews by pilots, I'd say you will be happy with either product. If you get a chance to actually handle each product "side by side" then you'd be able to tell which one you prefer. We have an older Garmin "Pilot" in our club TriPacer which is "worthless" compared to these new apps!

Joe
:cool:

mbond
08-07-2013, 09:10 AM
I'm using Foreflight, flew my first cross country yesterday using it exclusively and it worked very well.

All my aircraft documents are in it. Its very easy to use in flight, even with random changes and diversions that I made just to play with the software. It also has a scratch pad where you can jot down frequencies and such real quick.

Very happy with it.

mnewb1
08-07-2013, 10:13 AM
anyone using AOPA's FlyQ EFB?

annken100
08-08-2013, 01:00 AM
I've tried Wing X, Foreflight, FlyQ EFB, and the garmin and king apps. I did not like the Garmin and King apps. I felt they were not as intuitive as the other three apps. I initially purchased a subscription to Foreflight and was happy with it's performance. I dumped Foreflight when it became apparant that they want to limit my choices in ADS-B equipment. Also, I don't understand why Foreflight feels they have to charge you more for certain features like terrain/hazard avoidance and georeferenced taxi diagrams when other apps include those in their basic subscription.

I flew to KOSH using Foreflight and FlyQ EFB side-by-side. I ultimately ended up with FlyQ EFB. I purchased a Dual XG170 ADS-B receiver at Oshkosh and was very impressed with it's performance in FlyQ EFB. I also found the FlyQ folks very receptive to feedback.

I strongly suggest trialing all the apps to see which app fits your flying and style the best.

Ken Pavlou

Ney
08-08-2013, 05:54 PM
I've used ForeFlight and WingX and settled on WingX. Both are fine products and both have a wonderful history of innovative and quick updates. ForeFlight has a nicer user interface. The reason I went with WingX is the moving map page is superior, in my opinion. So while you are actually flying, it presents more information and has more features. Split screen, lots of useful overlays (weather, terrain, traffic, etc), synthetic vision, etc. For me, what it provides while flying is what it is all about. - Ney

801driver
08-09-2013, 11:45 AM
I also looked at both and decided on WingX. I needed to replace an older Lorance 2000 in my Zenith 801 and found that the iFly 720 will fit over the spot. After using it a while, now flying my Cherokee I tend to pull the iFly off of the velcro and use it instead of the WingX. The display is much easier for me to read than the ipad 3 display in the sunlight and does not seem to have the heating problems. The iFly has everything I need, usually they come out with updated whistles and bells before WingX or Foreflight. For me, its a more convenient size to use, including much less expensive to keep everything updated. My suggestion is to try to play with everything you can to make your decision, all seem to be good products.

I_FLY_LOW
08-09-2013, 12:39 PM
I also looked at both and decided on WingX. I needed to replace an older Lorance 2000 in my Zenith 801 and found that the iFly 720 will fit over the spot. After using it a while, now flying my Cherokee I tend to pull the iFly off of the velcro and use it instead of the WingX. The display is much easier for me to read than the ipad 3 display in the sunlight and does not seem to have the heating problems. The iFly has everything I need, usually they come out with updated whistles and bells before WingX or Foreflight. For me, its a more convenient size to use, including much less expensive to keep everything updated. My suggestion is to try to play with everything you can to make your decision, all seem to be good products.
I bought one of the iFly 720's recently, too.
One thing I like about it is, you can tether it to your smart phone, for a live internet connection, and on the fly weather updates.