PDA

View Full Version : Water (tap water)

Howard Handelman
08-03-2013, 02:26 PM
Unlike prior years, I had a super hard time finding the tap water where you could fill a bottle, take a drink and/or wet down your hat.

This year the weather was mild. If it had been hot like AV11 and AV12 this would have been a major problem.

I don't know why this change happened, but IF it was a tradeoff for $2 water, then it was not a decision made with the best interests of the public in mind.

In any case, there should be easily found and numerous places to get a drink of tap water.

What say you, EAA?

Thanks.

Mike Berg
08-03-2013, 04:03 PM
Can't speak for all locations but there was a big tank with free water in the vintage area (next to the Machine Shed Cafe) and several water stations in the area.

Mike

MyDogRudy
08-03-2013, 04:31 PM
There are "water buffalos" all over the grounds as well as drinking fountains outside of all the shower buildings. I didn't notice any fewer spots to fill up water bottles than in the past.

Hal Bryan
08-03-2013, 05:04 PM
There are at least as many as last year, if not more so - that's my impression certainly as I cover the grounds each day.

As for your trade off theory - come on, really?

Howard Handelman
08-03-2013, 05:33 PM
There are at least as many as last year, if not more so - that's my impression certainly as I cover the grounds each day.

As for your trade off theory - come on, really?
Hal, if you say it isn't so then I accept it but that particular tactic is common where commercial enterprises sell beverages, so it was not easy to write it off as a coincidence.

Hal Bryan
08-03-2013, 05:36 PM
Fair enough - didn't mean to come off so short, just trying to chime in as best as I can here and there on my phone, on the go, out in the sun, etc.

I just want you to know that this was a case of us doing the right thing (or at least moving in the right direction) because it was the right thing to do. :)

Bill
08-03-2013, 07:10 PM
As show on the AirVenture 13 visitor map, all of the drinking fountains that I can recall from years past are still there.

dclaxon
08-03-2013, 10:38 PM
I didn't look on the map, but I noticed at least one missing that I used on a regular basis in past years to refill my bottle. There was a water trough in the grassy area with benches between the Homebuilders Hangar and the building with the museum planes, just south of the Flying Cinema. At least I couldn't find it, if it was there I'm going even blinder than I thought. (Which is actually not out of the realm of possibility.)

Dave

BeagleOne
08-04-2013, 08:02 AM
I think I noticed fewer hand-washing stations this year...could be wrong, of course, but I just didn't see as many as I remembered seeing in earlier years.

donwmack
08-04-2013, 02:07 PM
My impression is that some of the white PVC troughs were missing. Like the one near the homebuilts. There was a spigot there however and it was usable to get water. Just not as visible as before.

Bill Berson
08-06-2013, 10:46 PM
At least two of the white PVC troughs were missing near forums. I was shocked, and as mentioned, assumed a scheme to sell bottle water. But later found some troughs elsewhere.

Chad Jensen
08-07-2013, 07:46 AM
From what I was told, a few of them were moved or removed due to uses not intended, and complaints were abundant. Still lots of places to get tap water as already mentioned.

Cary
08-07-2013, 09:57 AM
I have never fallen for "buy water here"--whether at Airventure or otherwise--so I am always on the look-out for places to refill my water bottle. I had no problems all week long finding water, and most of them were in the same places as they've always been.

Cary

BeagleOne
08-07-2013, 10:30 PM
I appreciated the water coolers outside the museum and in the EAA welcome tent. Great idea.

dacar92
08-09-2013, 02:46 PM
I noticed that the tap water trough was missing from in front of the EAA wearhouse. The nearest one was not nearby. Luckily it was not hot so parched people were not as abundant as some previous years.

Will these be replaced for next year?

Chad Jensen
08-09-2013, 02:53 PM
EAA Welcome Center is just next door (across the food court) with a water cooler all week, and it will be back next year I'm sure.

Interstater
08-13-2013, 08:05 PM
The water troughs near the Brown Arch being cut from 2 to 1 was not a big deal this year, but during a hotter week it sure could be. The water trough removed from north of the homebuilts was missed, but at least the spigots were there to fill bottles, hopefully the trough is back next year.

The one I miss the most though is the trough that used to be near the warbirds flightline gate, it disappeared a few years ago when the gate went away and when the Scotts warbird alley thing went in. Can we get this one back? I know there is now a trough a short ways northwest of the warbird buildings, but it is somewhat off the beaten path and does not well serve those who have made the trek to or through the warbirds. It would also be nice to have water available closer to warbird alley, some folks sit for hours waiting for and then listening to greats like Hoover and Anderson and on a hotter day having abundant water close by to soak a hat or fill a water bottle would be a great relief.