PDA

View Full Version : Bag searches at Gates

snoskier1
08-02-2013, 07:41 AM
I found the bag searches at the entrance gates annoying, and pointless.

Is security searching every baggage compartment, in every aircraft ?

I object, quite strongly, to the searches.

Mark Denhart

Madison, WI

I_FLY_LOW
08-02-2013, 07:45 AM
Gotta nab those pesky terrorists...
Welcome to the USSA...

FS-MP
08-02-2013, 08:16 AM
Bag searches are a necessary evil in the world today.

I personally would NOT attend an event like Oshkosh, or fly Commercially, if there WERE NOT conducting bag search security procedures.

Unfortunately, gone are "the good old days"

http://www.ahla.com/uploadedFiles/Bag%20Search%20Guide%20Final%20print.pdf

snoskier1
08-02-2013, 08:25 AM
I don't recall ever having my backpack searched going into Airventure ......

What about all the scary stuff that pilots, or vendors, can sneak in ?

They sell knives in the Fly Market ? OMG, it's a deadly weapon !

We're all just getting a little paranoid, in my opinion.

martymayes
08-02-2013, 08:48 AM
Gotta nab those pesky terrorists...
Welcome to the USSA...

Of course a terrorist would carry his wares through a main gate where his bag would be subject to search. (insert eye roll here.....)

It's all about punishing the honest, law abiding citizens who put up the least amount of resistance to this nonsense.

I_FLY_LOW
08-02-2013, 08:49 AM
A necessary evil?
That's not acceptible, to me...

CarlOrton
08-02-2013, 09:10 AM
Funny thing is its only at the main gate. Carrying a brick of C4 today? Go in a side entrance. Also found it interesting they only searched 2 of 5 compartments in my backpack.

Would be kind of funny if a guy was dragging a bag full of dirty underwear out to his plane.

Kyle Boatright
08-02-2013, 09:34 AM
I wore my backpack through the main gate multiple times, without being stopped. They stopped a bunch of people around me, but apparently, the dark grey straps and black backpack I was wearing were rendered invisible since I was wearing a white shirt. ;-) I think procedures like these are silly. If someone wants to bring in a weapon or bomb, there are a thousand other ways.

BeagleOne
08-02-2013, 10:45 AM
I've never had a bag searched. And I come every year, every day.

TheGreatFlight
08-02-2013, 08:34 PM
I saw a lot of bags being searched, but mine wasn't. My husband asked if they wanted to check our chair bags, but the worker declined. I thought that was a little odd - you could probably put a long/thin weapon of some sort inside those chair sleeves..

pacerpilot
08-02-2013, 09:24 PM
"a necessary evil"? There is no such thing. There is just evil.

kmacht
08-02-2013, 10:34 PM
I think you are all missing the point here. Bag searches aren't about safety. The are about creating the illusion of safety. If someone wanted to being something not so nice into the grounds there are a few hundred other ways they can do it other than by carrying it in a bag at the main gate. Those bag searches are only there to give the general public attending the show the illusion of being safe. I done like the idea of the searches being carried out but since I usually was in one of the side gates early in the morning I never was searched so I can't really complain

Keith

Tom Steber
08-03-2013, 04:27 AM
This morning will be day 6 for me. I've walked through the main gate every morning wearing my chair/backpack. Never been stopped. Of course now that I said that... There's a lot of things that are different now than the way it used to be at the convention. And not all of them I like. But you can't go see an NFL game without a pat down or search. So I'm not surprised by this.

1600vw
08-03-2013, 04:57 AM
I think you are all missing the point here. Bag searches aren't about safety. The are about creating the illusion of safety. If someone wanted to being something not so nice into the grounds there are a few hundred other ways they can do it other than by carrying it in a bag at the main gate. Those bag searches are only there to give the general public attending the show the illusion of being safe. I done like the idea of the searches being carried out but since I usually was in one of the side gates early in the morning I never was searched so I can't really complain

Keith

I just love this post. Because this person has never been searched they can not complain. But wait until it does happen to them, then they will want things changed. Its one of those things. Its ok as long as its you but as soon as its me I will complain.

Terrible remark.

TedK
08-03-2013, 06:48 AM
I have to admit that I am deeply disappointed with EAA sinking to the level of random searches. Bag searches at a few points are pointless given the open nature of the grounds. Even worse, they are not needed. Airventure is one of the safest places on earth and is what Disneyland is aspiring to be. Don't spoil it with security theater and lip service.

JimRice85
08-03-2013, 08:03 AM
I just love this post. Because this person has never been searched they can not complain. But wait until it does happen to them, then they will want things changed. Its one of those things. Its ok as long as its you but as soon as its me I will complain.

Terrible remark.

I agree with kmacht. You are making some huge assumptions there.

1600vw
08-03-2013, 08:25 AM
I agree with kmacht. You are making some huge assumptions there.
No assumptions here.

He Stated..I never was searched so I can't really complain...So get search then complain...I am not argueing searches or no searches. What I am saying is do not say its ok as long as its the other guy, for someday it will be you. One of the problems we have in America, we turn our back when its the other person, but as soon as it happens to us then we complain and want action.

I do not see how I am making assumptions when this was spelled out in black and white by the person whom posted this comment.

kmacht
08-03-2013, 09:35 AM
I saw a lot of bags being searched, but mine wasn't. My husband asked if they wanted to check our chair bags, but the worker declined. I thought that was a little odd - you could probably put a long/thin weapon of some sort inside those chair sleeves..

No assumptions here.

He Stated..I never was searched so I can't really complain...So get search then complain...I am not argueing searches or no searches. What I am saying is do not say its ok as long as its the other guy, for someday it will be you. One of the problems we have in America, we turn our back when its the other person, but as soon as it happens to us then we complain and want action.

I do not see how I am making assumptions when this was spelled out in black and white by the person whom posted this comment.

Since I posted the comment let me fix your assumptions. I wasn't searched and wouldn't care if I had been. Airventure is a gathering put on by a private organization and if they want to institute searches at the main gate that is their right. If you don't like having your bag searched feel free to stay home. I don't think you will be missed

Keith

1600vw
08-03-2013, 11:44 AM
Since I posted the comment let me fix your assumptions. I wasn't searched and wouldn't care if I had been. Airventure is a gathering put on by a private organization and if they want to institute searches at the main gate that is their right. If you don't like having your bag searched feel free to stay home. I don't think you will be missed

Keith

Why not just say..leave the bag at home....Simple easy fix...

JimRice85
08-03-2013, 11:44 AM
No assumptions here.

Then perhaps your reading comprehension skills are lacking.

1600vw
08-03-2013, 11:45 AM
I don't carry bags so this really is not my problem..or wait..is it?

1600vw
08-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Then perhaps your reading comprehension skills are lacking.

or yours...two way street....

JimRice85
08-03-2013, 02:04 PM
or yours...two way street....

Guess it is your attitude. That was my original thought but was trying to give you the benefit of doubt.

I_FLY_LOW
08-03-2013, 02:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmubwTmbXww

Todd copeland
08-03-2013, 07:10 PM
A necessary evil?
That's not acceptible, to me...
I agree. I'll accept the risk to keep my freedoms.

1600vw
08-04-2013, 07:03 AM
I agree. I'll accept the risk to keep my freedoms.

Todd from the posts..Its to late we already lost our freedoms we just have not come to terms with it yet. The American people are like the one poster, as long as its someone else whom cares, but as soon as its me then I will care.

But then they say I have an attitude if I mention this. I got a big kick out of that. Laughed for a good long time over that one.

DFH65
08-04-2013, 07:23 AM
I will never understand people who think this is OK, or say it is necessary in "this day and age", or that it keeps us safe. Safety is an illusion.

Freedom, try it some time you might just find it exciting and rewarding.