PDA

View Full Version : The New Food Selection Thread

BeagleOne
07-31-2013, 04:41 PM
What do people think of the new food selections? I had a really good hamburger at the Hangar Café, a good turkey sandwich and excellent potato chips at Ace's, and enjoyed a funnel cake at the Classic concession. So far am pretty happy with the food choices but (as I've mentioned on other threads), I really, really would like the option of fountain sodas in a cup with ice. The soda in the plastic bottles warms up too fast and sometimes is NOT cold when it's bought, because it hasn't been in the cooler long enough. Also...some more diet, non-caffeinated selections would be nice, like diet Sierra Mist. What are other people's experiences? Would especially like to hear of good options for the rest of the week!

PilotJoe78
07-31-2013, 05:39 PM
Just bring in some Texans with BBQ & Mexican Food trucks. You guys would have no complaints all week!

Well, maybe if they didn't empty the ports potteys daily, them you would have one.

CarlOrton
07-31-2013, 09:25 PM
Pretty favorable. Prices a bit higher, but you can still find bargains. $8 for most things plus a $3 soda and that's an $11 lunch. Zaugs at least had the $7 member meal.

Found at least 2 subways. Now there's a deal. $4 for a 6" sub. In DFW, those run about $3.75, so we're right in line there. Plus, if you get a drink, the chips are thrown in for free to make it a meal deal. $6/7 for a sub, chips, and drink is not bad - plus, it's a sub, which is a nice break from the other stuff.

Too bad that you can't get JUST an A&W rootbeer without having to get a float.

Although the food selections are higher price, I will admit that for the most part, the quality is pretty decent.

I did notice that the condiment stands are gone. If you want sauerkraut with your dog, I think it's a $0.50 option. Same old probs with being unable to find a place to sit during the peak times, but that's not a vendor problem.

Need a Taco Bell / Taco Bueno / Taco Cabana / Taco John's. I didn't try any, but the Mexican offerings listed in International Plaza or whatever they're now calling Twin Oaks turned me off. They may be great, but not what I was looking for.

BeagleOne
08-01-2013, 08:28 AM
I've heard some places have member meals but haven't found any yet. Going to try the Italian place up at Warbirds today, I think.

Bill Greenwood
08-01-2013, 05:00 PM
Carl, I got a plain root beer, not an ice cream float, at the larger outdoor A&W that is in the field on the grass just nw and across the street from the tower. I also had a burger there, nothing special. Using Texas standards for burgers with 10 the best, then the one I had at the tent on the southwest part of the north 40, near the Bonanza parking was a 9. The one at the sea plane base an 8.

John Leidel
08-01-2013, 05:01 PM
I love the new food selections! You can even get fried and regular cheese curd!

mmcgrew
08-01-2013, 05:43 PM
North 40 Cafe has best breakfast and terrific price.

Kiwi ZK-CKE
08-01-2013, 06:02 PM
I find the selection on the show site to be adequate but There isn't anywhere to find a proper evening meal in camp Scholler. Pizza and snack stuff is ok to keep you going during the day, but not a real meal. I guess it's assumed campers self-cater, but overseas visitors such as myself can't practically bring cooking gear. I don't know anyone here, so I don't get invited to Barbecues etc, so I have had to go hungry. Not a good impression....

CarlOrton
08-01-2013, 09:03 PM
Kiwi, Aces Bistro has a different dinner specialty every night of the week. There might be one or two others, but I haven't looked for them in earnest since I typically don't eat dinner on the field.

BeagleOne
08-01-2013, 09:49 PM
Ace's has pretty good food IME. I also had a good sausage and peppers on a bun at the concession next to the Warbirds shop.

Brian247028
08-02-2013, 02:53 AM
Too bad that you can't get JUST an A&W rootbeer without having to get a float.

We had one each day we were there. Had a float one day and just plain rootbeer the two other days. Which A&W did you go to? We always went to the main one by the flight line main road.

baboss
08-02-2013, 12:15 PM
North 40 Cafe has best breakfast and terrific price.We ate at the North 40 café often and found the breakfast sandwich to be awesome! The brats and burgers were pretty good as well. Nothing wrong with the North 40 café.

TheGreatFlight
08-02-2013, 08:30 PM
I am loving the new changes with the food selections. I had the best grilled cheese panini and a fabulous smoothie at the Lou's Brew (think that was the name) stand. I love the variety of foods and drinks and the pricing is great. I love that the water came down to $2 as well. My husband and son have been raving about their gigantic burgers from the vintage area and that's all they want to eat each day.

I appreciate that EAA is trying to change things up. I know with such a massive event you can't please everyone, but put me in the "happy" column. ;)

TedK
08-03-2013, 07:33 AM
I enjoyed a Steak, Sweet Corn and Veggies with some South Africans at SOS Beerventure the other night. Across the main entrance road toward Pioneer Airport from Scholler.

tonitager
08-03-2013, 01:20 PM
What happened to the "World Famous EAA Donuts"??!! Those mini donuts are NOT the same, not even close.

Also, two years ago, there was this lovely little privatly owned coffee shop that set up down by the vintage area. I went there every morning for a mocha and every afternoon for iced tea. Last year they were not there (thanks to the entire venue being serviced by one company), and this year... I was hoping...HOPING they would be back. No such luck. Man...they have coffee that compared to Starbucks or Caribou. Let's get them back!!

Howard Handelman
08-03-2013, 02:29 PM
The food was beyond my wildest expectations.
Kudos to EAA for the change.
As one who doesn't eat anything above a fish, this was very, very welcome.

Kevin O'Halloran
08-03-2013, 06:31 PM
best food in the 19 years I have been coming to Oshkosh
Did not have one bad meal all week
never had to wait over 5 minutes for food
Kevin

mcmurphy
08-03-2013, 10:27 PM
I second the comment about the lack of fountain drinks. l also never got a cold soda from any of the vendors. My brother and I finally got in our car and drove to the Planeview Plaza gas station on Rt. 41 and got huge fountain drinks for less than $2.00. ;)

The best meal deal we found was the members meal at the Ultralight Café. A sandwich, fries, a (warm) drink and a huge cookie for $10.

dclaxon
08-03-2013, 10:52 PM
In the end, I never ate at any of the new vendors this year. I'm too much of a cheapskate, and kept walking back to the camper for lunch every day. But my legs are telling me I won't be doing that for too many more years, so I hope the food continues to improve.

Dave

Hangar10
08-03-2013, 10:59 PM
Food was good, with one exception... where was the delicious soft serve ice cream? May sound dumb, but that stuff was one of the highlights of our visit each year. Dove bars and such are ok, but I can get that stuff in my local freezer. The cones were great, missed not having any this year.

BeagleOne
08-04-2013, 08:01 AM
I'd like to see some of the little booths that just sold soft-serve ice cream, a few candies like boxed M and M's, and FOUNTAIN SODAS WITH ICE back next year.

donwmack
08-04-2013, 02:11 PM
I'm with Mark. Getting an ice cream cone at the end of the day was a 30 year tradition. A&W not the same.

Food was good, with one exception... where was the delicious soft serve ice cream? May sound dumb, but that stuff was one of the highlights of our visit each year. Dove bars and such are ok, but I can get that stuff in my local freezer. The cones were great, missed not having any this year.

mazdaP5
08-04-2013, 03:48 PM
Yep, the Machine Shed bbq pork sandwiches at ultralights were massive, with a massive cookie, soda, and chips for $10 could not be beat. Great new food choices, well done. Agree about the fountain drinks though, although I never had the problems with warm soda. The one time I got one, I asked for a cold one, got an apology and a cold one.

DanH
08-05-2013, 04:28 PM
The "ribeye steak sandwich" at the North 40 Cafe was a bad joke. All vendors elsewhere were quite good. The new scheme is a big improvement!

flyboycpa
08-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Overall, I think the food selection was pretty good. My wife and friend had hard times trying to find "healthy" (gluten-free and/or something not wrapped in a bun) choices other than a salad at Aces.

My only negative experience happened when we went over to the Seaplane Base to have [what has always been] the best lunch at Airventure. We were SO very disappointed with Haase's service. They were very rude, woefully unprepared (i.e., out of most of what we wanted), served warm soda & water, and the supervisor/manager whateverthehellsheis was such an unbelievable wench that I will never give Haase any of my money again (as a vendor or the real Haase restaurant). The story goes that I had a piece of food stuck in my esophagus and couldn't "eject" it up or down. Usually when that happens I can chug some water and it will force the errant piece down; however, as I was being seen by the onsite Medic I sent my buddy over to PURCHASE a bottle of water. As he quickly approached the Haase counter and held out his money and said, "I need a bottle of water quick, my friend has a piece of food stuck in his throat." The wench [who was counting the money in the tip jar] slammed her tip money down and tersely said, "Can't you see I'm busy?!? The First Aid tent has free water." My buddy responded, "This is kind of an emergency, I'm not looking for FREE water, I want to purchase a bottle, right NOW!" She then proceeded to tell my buddy, "You're probably the one here yesterday that had my sister in tears!" [UNBELIEVABLE] He told her that we hadn't been to the SPB until today. She finally handed him a bottle and took the money.

Where was the famous SPB corn? Where was the famous SPB Friday night fish fry? I actually sought out the SPB Chairman, Paul Seehafer, to discuss the issues we had with the rudeness of the employees at Haase. He patiently listened, but we'll never know what happens for next year.

Sam Swift
EAA 626907
VAA 31122

Cary
08-08-2013, 09:12 AM
The "ribeye steak sandwich" at the North 40 Cafe was a bad joke.Disagree. I had it 3 different times, and it was excellent each time--tender, tasty, etc. That plus great onion rings and a beer made a fine dinner, only 50' from my airplane! :)

Cary

Interstater
08-08-2013, 09:40 AM
While the soft serve ice cream of the past was always good, the real ice cream from Kelley's Creamery rocked! It was in the stand across from the brown arch, if you guys missed it you missed something really good.

FlyingRon
08-08-2013, 10:40 AM
While the soft serve ice cream of the past was always good, the real ice cream from Kelley's Creamery rocked! It was in the stand across from the brown arch, if you guys missed it you missed something really good.

Yep I like the hand dipped stuff, but some of our friends really dig the soft serve. The A&W stands had it in a couple of places, but our little Zaug's icecream stand next to the Hangar cafe was removed and not replaced with any new vendor.

N546RV
08-08-2013, 10:47 AM
Disagree. I had it 3 different times, and it was excellent each time--tender, tasty, etc. That plus great onion rings and a beer made a fine dinner, only 50' from my airplane! :)

Cary

I never did try the ribeye sandwich at the N40 Cafe, but I agree, the food there was much better than I expected from an event. I think the operation could use some efficiency improvements, and sometimes things were a bit slow, but it didn't bother me. Personally, i don't go to Oshkosh, or on any other vacation, to be in a hurry. If I find myself in a hurry, I'm probably doing something wrong.

Bmcgowan32
08-08-2013, 05:17 PM
I was super sad to see the EAA donuts were not back this year. I walked all around the grounds one morning hoping I might spot their delicious location in the brave new food world. But sadly, it seems that my routine of watching the flight line wake up while eating a hot cake donut and reading the daily paper is only a memory now. Please consider brining them back. The mini donuts are absolutely not a substitute!

Jim Hann
08-10-2013, 08:37 PM
Overall I was pleased with the choices and prices this year. I didn't buy any $2 water but I did have a $3 soda or three. The prices were still cheaper than what I pay at Busch Stadium while attending a Cardinals game.

Keep it up!

Jim

Bob Meder
08-10-2013, 11:33 PM
I liked the turkey wrap at Thunder Bay.

FlyingRon
08-11-2013, 06:45 AM
I was super sad to see the EAA donuts were not back this year. I walked all around the grounds one morning hoping I might spot their delicious location in the brave new food world. But sadly, it seems that my routine of watching the flight line wake up while eating a hot cake donut and reading the daily paper is only a memory now. Please consider brining them back. The mini donuts are absolutely not a substitute!

One of my friends grouses about the lack of the old "Aces Cafe" donuts. They've actually been gone for a couple of years. The Tall Pines Cafe down near the Ultralight area (it's operated by Vintage volunteers) has pretty decent donuts. The other place is Vicki's Lunch Wagon just off the convention grounds where Waupan road hits Knapp (accross the street from the old "Zaug's" gate) has a little machine turning out minidonuts which aren't too bad (and fun to watch as well).

Jim Hann
08-11-2013, 11:15 AM
I talked with one vendor who had a donut maker working for him but not as a fry man. He was wondering about the donuts and their popularity, too bad he can't see this thread.

Talked to this same gent opening morning and then again around Friday or Saturday, he was VERY happy with lunch, happy with breakfast but dinner was a bust for his location (the old "food court"). He said that he would be happy to come back with a minor renegotiation on the closing time for his booth, this year was 9pm on non night airshow nights.