PDA

View Full Version : Why Not Recycle ?

Bill Greenwood
07-29-2013, 04:47 PM
During the week EAA must accumulate thousands, maybe a hundred thou, of plastic drink bottles with sales of Pepsi, water, etc. Why not recycle them? Is that something that is not done in Wisconsin? It sure is in Colorado and seems wasteful not to do it here. I didn't see any containers for recycling anywhere and when I asked at the food vendor the lady told me that other people had also asked, but that they were told not to recycle. I did find something at one food vendor that amazed me. I grew up and lived in Texas for 25 years, so one thing I know about is Bar B Q, but when I got the "brisket sandwich" there was also something called "white bar-b-q sauce". I have seen and eaten a lot of Bar-B-Q, and sauce in Texas and even Colorado, but never heard of any sauce that was white, certainly never saw any. So I asked the girl at the counter who had no idea so she asked the chef. Turns out the sauce is mayonaise with garlic in it,probably as bad as it sounds.

CarlOrton
07-29-2013, 05:17 PM
As a native Yankee who's spent the last 31 years in Texas, all I can say is eeeeewwwwwwwww....

Almost as bad as brown gravy on yer chicken fried steak.

Joe Delene
07-30-2013, 04:34 AM
I guess some easy stuff, like aluminum & maybe glass, may work. Most of the other stuff doesn't seem viable without some amount of Gov't subsidies, just not worth it. I do know many 'green initiatives' are there to make people feel better, whether it helps any or not. A good amount of our 'recyclables' ends up in the trash anyway.

Hal Bryan
07-30-2013, 07:35 AM
During the week EAA must accumulate thousands, maybe a hundred thou, of plastic drink bottles with sales of Pepsi, water, etc. Why not recycle them? Is that something that is not done in Wisconsin? It sure is in Colorado and seems wasteful not to do it here. I didn't see any containers for recycling anywhere and when I asked at the food vendor the lady told me that other people had also asked, but that they were told not to recycle.

We use what they call "single stream" recycling - all the trash from the Dumpsters, plastic bins, etc., is taken to a facility in Appleton and sorted from there. I was surprised that this was even possible, but apparently people who know way more about garbage than I do have got it down to a science.

As for white barbecue sauce, I can honestly say I've never heard of such of thing...But now I'm kinda curious.

Bill Greenwood
07-30-2013, 08:10 AM
Hal the mayonaise with garlic, so called "white bar-b-q sauce was at Aces Cafe, I think it is something like Sodexco? As for recylcing, well in Colorado they have to pesort the trash, especially bottles and cans, and paper. If they get too much other stuff like food in it that is a no go.
I can't imagine having to sort the plastic bottles out of all that mess. What inducment could possibly get people to do that job, or what threat? I'll bet they get inmates from the local jail and give em the choice to sort the garbage or else have to eat "white bar-b-q sauce".
By the way, the good burger that I had was at north 40 cafe.

BeagleOne
07-30-2013, 09:47 AM
I've never heard of single-stream recycling including trash, though. I'm also wondering if there is anywhere to get soda in a cup, with ice. I much prefer that to soda straight from the bottle, plus, on hot days, the bottled soda warms up faster.

The funnel cake at the A and W booth was a pleasant surprise!

BeagleOne
07-30-2013, 01:27 PM
Okay, this is how much this is bugging me. I am currently at the main welcome center writing this instead of walking the grounds. The "recycling" bins are exactly the same size, shape, and color as the trash bins. The ONLY difference is that there is a sign on the LID ONLY saying "single stream recycling" and listing what can be included. NO signs on the sides of the bins. Trash is NOT included in that listing. And the "recycling" bins are FULL of trash, so I think the 2013 recycling effort is going to be a failure, which is especially sad since those of us who want soda apparently can ONLY get it in plastic bottles, and not in cups. The recycling bins need to be a different color from the trash bins and CLEARLY identified. A sign on the lid only is not enough! EAA usually does SUCH a good job in keeping the grounds clean, but unless I'm missing something obvious, this year's recycling effort is going to be a huge bust. Hundreds of thousands of plastic bottles going into a landfill instead of being recycled.

I_FLY_LOW
07-30-2013, 03:19 PM
You're there as a garbage collection inspector, or an airshow spectator?
Turn around, and look up... The show is in progress! LOL
Just yanking your chain.
Wish I was there to watch too...

Hal Bryan
07-30-2013, 03:54 PM
Here's more background on the recycling program:

http://www.airventure.org/news/2012/120725_single-stream-recycling-implemented.html

Larry Lyons
07-30-2013, 08:39 PM
Here at my hometown in IL. we have been doing the single stream recycle for years, works just fine in my estimation. L

BeagleOne
07-31-2013, 04:35 PM
Oh, don't worry about me! I spent all of ten minutes researching and writing my post, and will be here every day, all week, just as I am every year. Doing lots of looking up, down, and all around, and making lots of new friends. Hal, thanks for the additional info. Now can you do anything about the lack of iced drinks in cups? :) Only half-kidding...

Bill Greenwood
07-31-2013, 05:10 PM
Beagle One, yes there are drinks with ice in paper cups at Airventure,if you look hard enough. With all the new and exotic food choices, believe it or not, I actually had trouble finding just a hamburger in the main part of the field, I did find a good one at the North 40, so I looked up A&W, surely they would have burgers. Not so fast, the one in Hangar B has brats and dogs, but no burgers. So they sent me a little nw of the tower and that one had not only burgers, but also serves their root beer which they say is made on site and it is in a cup. They also have the usual Pepsi stuff in plastic bottles.

I_FLY_LOW
07-31-2013, 05:14 PM
Now that I'm not watching the airshow, (:P) I wonder if going to the plastic bottles makes the single stream recycling easier, vs all the Styrofoam cups. Maybe the plastic bottles don't blow around, or get loose as easily as the foam cups may, on the flightline? Just food for thought...

CarlOrton
07-31-2013, 09:30 PM
<snip> (A&W) also serves their root beer which they say is made on site and it is in a cup. They also have the usual Pepsi stuff in plastic bottles.
Glad to hear that, Thanks, Bill. I didn't see it listed, so I thought that you could only get the rootbeer in a float, which made no sense to me.

BeagleOne
08-01-2013, 08:26 AM
Thanks, Bill, I will check it out and see if they will give me some ice in that cup!

The cups Zaug's used were the wax-coated paper/light cardboard cups. Probably more degradable than plastic bottles or styrofoam, and if they got crumpled I don't think they would blow around as much as plastic bottles since they wouldn't roll well.

I want to try the Italian place next to the Warbird shop. They've brought in framed pictures and plants and it looks quite nice!

Bill Greenwood
08-01-2013, 05:07 PM
I haven't seen any styrofoam cups this year at Airventure, only some paper ones, and a lot of plastic bottles .Nor do I recall styrofoam ones is previous years, but then I probably was too busy to focus on cups back then. As for the Italian place at Warbirds, we had lunch there today. I had a brat that was ok, the other folks had a salad that seemed good and some burrito like thing that was just ok. There are a couple of funny photos on the wall, the one about Sophia Loren and Jayne Mansfield, but even more so the one of the priest who falls asleep while he is hearing confession in church. You know your life is none too exciting when the lurid details put the priest to sleep.

OldGunbunny
08-01-2013, 07:16 PM
White BBQ sauce is found in Alabama. Mayo, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic and pepper. It's a local dish, I'm surprised you found it at Osh. Another local is the yellow (mustard based) sauce found in central South Carolina.

s10sakota
08-03-2013, 08:56 AM
It would have been nice to know that I could throw the plastic in with regular trash. That would have saved me from hauling home three bags full of sticky plastic bottles, cups, forks, etc...!