PDA

View Full Version : Hal, ABOUT THAT BEER

Bill Greenwood
07-19-2013, 09:55 AM
Yes, Hal, I would really like to meet you and have a beer, though I am not much of a drinker.
I like pretty mild beers ,more water than bitter, and at home I usually drink Corona. And no, I don't consume Coors, the beer or the politics. I don't see that many residents of Colorado drinking it, mostly Texans that come for a vacation.

Don't know if they have it in Wisconsin, but there is one beer in England that has caught my eye.

It is SPITFIRE ALE, and the next line on the label says it all, DOWNED ALL OVER KENT, JUST LIKE THE LUFTWAFFE!
That pretty much says it all.

I will be at a local hotel Sat and Sun night and then at the FLD Holiday Inn. If you are not busy that first Sun maybe you can come over to the hotel, or I will have a car also.

I will even do my best not to make any yellow/brown jokes, but it may be hard. I already made a bargain with the Man Above two years ago to try not to make any more Aggie jokes and just keeping that promise is using up most of my good behavior and will power.

Hal Bryan
07-19-2013, 12:45 PM
Sounds good to me! I'm a huge fan of Spitfire Ale, in spite of never actually having tried it. My favorite marketing campaign in recent memory, especially the "Downed all over Kent" ad you quoted. Here's a new one I hadn't seen that I like as well.

http://www.shepherdneame.co.uk/sites/default/files/uploads/Brands/Spitfire/taka_hero.jpg

champ driver
07-19-2013, 01:12 PM
Even though I don't drink much beer anymore, I would love to have a 6 pack on the shelf. Here's a You tube video of their advertising, I think it's kind of funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLDOTr_eQY8 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLDOTr_eQY8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLDOTr_eQY8

Bill Greenwood
07-25-2013, 08:36 AM
Hal, if you have some time to meet, I will be at 920 966 1300 the first weekend, arriving, if all goes well Sat aft and moving Mon sometime.
It would be great to meet the person behind the picture online.

Thanks, Bill G.

Hal Bryan
07-25-2013, 03:39 PM
We'll make that happen. Are you headed to Zack's this year?

Bill Greenwood
07-25-2013, 07:56 PM
Hal, Zack is not having the normal party since he moved in town, but may be doing something on the field later.

I am hoping to arrive in plenty of time Sat, and be free and at the hotel Sat night, that is the number I gave you. I am also free Sun during the day, but will go the the Warbird picnic Sun night about 5pm. I won't have a car the first two days until I move down to Fon du Lac.
Wed afternoon at 2.30 I am doing a forum so am busy then, and also have fighter forums on Thur morning. Other than that, most free for social activites.

We can talk about Tiger Moth flying.

Bill Greenwood
08-19-2013, 03:04 PM
So Hal, we didn't get a chance to meet and share that beer or maybe just a brat this year. Hope to do it next year unless you get to Colorado or other meeting place in the coming year.
I was glad to have a few minutes to see Zach that first Sat night, even if not for long as he was pretty busy.

Anyway, take a look at the other website, and look under the topic about Photos from Duxford, as of now on page 2. There are some things there to make a pilot's mouth water, but take a look also at the background of a couple of the shots.
Now that's the way to sell beer.
I wonder at what temp the beer is served?

Hal Bryan
08-20-2013, 07:14 AM
Bill - so sorry it didn't work out. The only thing I seem to be able to guarantee will happen during Oshkosh is everything except what I had planned... Here's to next year, or some time and place in between!

As far as Duxford goes, I've only been once, and it seems I've been daydreaming about getting back ever since. I was whimpering quietly about the Moth rally at Woburn this past weekend, too. Anyway, I looked through the pics and am now watching the video posted from Duxford, and it's strengthening my resolve to make another trip. The picture of the four Hawker biplanes (a Demon, a Hind, and two Nimrods...?) with the two Gladiators was really amazing. And the formation clip of 3 of the biplanes with the Hurricane - just beautiful.

Mayhemxpc
08-20-2013, 05:48 PM
Duxford! Too bad I can't figure out how to upload some pictures from my visit there last year. It is like a combination of the Udvar-Hazy annex of the NASM, the EAA museum with Pioneer Airport, and a movie set...because it was for "The Battle of Britain." (Not to mention elements of a very damp Pima Air Museum.) What is more, it is an actual WW2 battlefield, having launched fighters -- and later bombers -- throughout the war and was itself bombed by the Luftwaffe. Better than the NASM is that they let you touch the airplanes! (The B-29 on display is still dripping oil from the engines.) There was a full squadron of Spitfires there scattered about throughout the grounds, all but one ready to fly. A flying B-17, a DeHavilland Dragon Rapide giving rides for 25 pounds, and wonderful informative and some interactive displays. Any aviation enthusiast who visits England has to add a day to go to Cambridgeshire and visit IWM Duxford.

Mayhemxpc
08-20-2013, 05:49 PM
I guess I did manage to get one photo uploaded