PDA

View Full Version : Minium age to own and register homebuilt aircraft

Flyingsnowdog
07-11-2013, 12:22 PM
Hi guys, Is it ok for my 15 year old son to buy a kit plane in his name and build with help and supervision of course and be able to get his repairman certificate and register the plane? Thanks Joe

martymayes
07-11-2013, 03:14 PM
Hi guys, Is it ok for my 15 year old son to buy a kit plane in his name and build with help and supervision of course and be able to get his repairman certificate and register the plane? Thanks Joe

I don't see any problem. By the time he is ready to register the plane and get his repairman certificate, he'll probably be somewhat older. Way to go Joe!

Chad Jensen
07-11-2013, 03:46 PM
As Marty said, no problem at all Joe...that's awesome!

rwanttaja
07-11-2013, 09:08 PM
14 CFR Subpart E - Repairmen

"65.104: Repairman certificate - Experimental aircraft builder

"(a) to be eligible for a repairman certificate (experimental aircraft builder) a person must---
(1) Be at least 18 years of age;"

Your son just has to take at least three years to build the plane....

Ron Wanttaja

Chad Jensen
07-12-2013, 07:05 AM
Absolutely Ron...assumption to me was that his son would apply for the RC at the appropriate age. Nothing wrong with building and owning though, and at 15, I would think a three year build would be a minimum. I LOVE to see it happen sooner though! :cool:

Flyingsnowdog
07-13-2013, 07:25 AM
Thanks for the info guys, Thanks Ron for the Ref. He is planning a ch 750 and we were going to shoot for about a year to complete so I as I understand he can own and I could be the repairman cert holder if we are both builders?

CarlOrton
07-13-2013, 07:51 AM
FSD: You are correct; groups of guys/gals build all the time, but only one can hold the RC. Since you're building with him, no prob at all having you obtain the certificate. You will need to have been involved, though, since the FAA wants to make sure that you know enough to actually repair/certify it. Depending on the FSDO, they may want to see some photos of you "hands-on" and may ask some questions about certain parts of the construction just to see if you're being straight with them. When I obtained my AW cert from the DAR, he included a letter of recommendation saying that he felt I knew enough to maintain it. That resulted in almost a rubber stamp approval from the FSDO (since he was retired FSDO).

martymayes
07-14-2013, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the info guys, Thanks Ron for the Ref. He is planning a ch 750 and we were going to shoot for about a year to complete so I as I understand he can own and I could be the repairman cert holder if we are both builders?

I'm pretty sure the FAA will defer issuance of a repairman certificate for age. IOW's your son can finish the airplane before he is 18, apply for a repairman cert. and the FAA will issue when he meets the age requirement. He doesn't have to be 18 when the plane is competed. However, if you obtain the repairman certificate for that n-number, your son can't apply for a repairman cert., ever. I'd wait and see how the build time pans out. I mean if he is 17 when it's completed, he can have the repairmance cert before the first condition inspection is due. At any rate, good airplane to build and great project for you guys to tackle as a team!