PDA

View Full Version : Streaming Media/Cameras - 2013 Official Thread

Paul Hayden
07-01-2013, 08:28 AM
Its going to quickly be that time of year again, so I thought I'd start the official thread.

The Streaming Media team will be monitoring and updating this thread from now until the end of the show. Any questions, comments ect please post up here and we will do our best to address them.

Here is the plan....its pretty much the same as last year. There will be 3 roving cameras on top of the way finding towers. One overlooking the ultralights and the far end of the grounds and 18/36, one on the vintage tower covering show center and the middle area of 18/36, and one overlooking the Warbirds and covering 9/27.

We are planning on the airshow feed from the professional cameraman on the FAA tower again this year. As in years past we are sharing his time with other media outlets, so expect the same random shots and not getting to see 100% of everything in the show. Remember its one guy up there with a list of shots from dozens of people he is expected to capture, we are just along for the ride. We are working to have greater availability of the airshow stream. Last year we know we had capacity issues, steps have been taken to address that, but still have the highest quality stream, on as many platforms/devices as is practical.

Theater in the Woods. The theater lineup, as we have seen it so far is very interesting, and we again will stream all presentations that do not have copyright issues associated with doing so. We have been outfitted with a few sport cams which we have a desire to play with, so everybody might be subjected to additional random stuff before the Theater presentations start. Along those lines, if anybody has footage they wish to share through the week, let us know.

Thanks everybody,

***Updates***

All Cams online and functional. Still testing, so there may be occasional random issues...

Bill Berson
07-01-2013, 08:49 AM
What date does the live video start?

Paul Hayden
07-01-2013, 09:06 AM
that is a magical and mystical answer...It depends on about 6 parts to fall into place but I would think its safe to say they will be live well in advance of the show. I think last year we were live 10 or so days before.

Dave S
07-05-2013, 08:12 PM
Thanks for all of the hard work to make this happen. I won't be attending...again...but I will someday! I really enjoy listening to ATC and watching the arrivals.

Sawdust
07-09-2013, 03:30 PM
Interested in your last statement Paul, about sharing footage. I've asked around and tried for the past couple years to volunteer in a video capacity. I've got a Prosumer level video rig, full HD, and all the accompanying gear to get decent footage. I edit with the Adobe Premier suite. I shoot hours of footage all over the field each year, but really don't do anything with it other than enjoy it myself at home. My son shoots with me, so we get multiple angles and perspectives of the events and airshow acts. We've been at this video thing for years, shooting weddings, airshows, car races, and performing arts events. We're happy to share it if there's some way we can help out.

Paul Hayden
07-10-2013, 10:00 AM
the wayfinding towers are up, so we are one step closer to live. Now I think those cement mixer trucks are having a little too much fun hauling butt down the taxi way. Sawdust, PM'd you

Jefflcarr
07-11-2013, 08:28 AM
the wayfinding towers are up, so we are one step closer to live. Now I think those cement mixer trucks are having a little too much fun hauling butt down the taxi way. Sawdust, PM'd you

I'd love to see footage of that! :)

Jim Hann
07-11-2013, 09:13 AM
Are they Oshkosh cement mixers?

RodBearden
07-11-2013, 06:36 PM
Hi Paul

Regarding the wayfinding tower camera tracking, can you please ensure that we have more ground coverage and less trees and sky? The trees are lovely, but when you've seen them once.... And the sky would be great if the cameras could track the flying, but as they can't, empty blueness (we hope) is pretty boring, and frustrating when we know that there's action on the ground.

By the way, a PioneerCam would be wonderful! How about that as an addition for next year?

Todd Ritzman
07-12-2013, 01:05 PM
Hi Paul

Regarding the wayfinding tower camera tracking, can you please ensure that we have more ground coverage and less trees and sky? The trees are lovely, but when you've seen them once.... And the sky would be great if the cameras could track the flying, but as they can't, empty blueness (we hope) is pretty boring, and frustrating when we know that there's action on the ground.

By the way, a PioneerCam would be wonderful! How about that as an addition for next year?

Ron,

I am assuming you are talking about the Airshow camera and not the Wayfinding Cameras as the cameras mounted on the wayfinding towers can not look up at the sky. Generally we have the wayfinding cameras running on an automated tour that stops at certain areas of activity or shows some of the general area of the airshow grounds. When the camera moves from point to point, the camera software decides how it is going to move the lens and is not something we can control.

For the Airshow Camera. We have been lucky to be able to provide this feed the last few years for those that have not been able to attend. The reason I say we are luck is we are not in charge of the camera or operator that we get this video from. He works for a different area and is given daily assignments of what items he is to capture during the day. So while he is recording the airshow, he also has to do some of his other assignments as well. Far as the camera being pointed at the sky, it can be very difficult to follow or find some planes as they are soaring or tumbling across the sky. There are times as well you will see the camera pointed at tents, trees, etc... this occurs as he is adjusting some of the balances on the camera as the conditions change. And there are times that the camera might just be parked in one position, he the only person up on the control tower operating the camera, standing out in the hot sun for hours at a time. He deserves a break once and awhile to get a drink or cool down a bit. You might not think running a camera is hard work, but when you are the only one doing it for hours at a time and standing in the hot sun, you will get tired. Without us being able to piggy back our video feed off this camera, we would not be providing this feed to you at all.

Far as the Pioneer Camera idea, I like that. We will add that to the list of possible additions in the future. We do hope to be able to provide some recorded footage of that this year from some action cameras that were added this year. What for some misc feeds during the day running on the Theater in the Woods Camera link. Remember this will be random, so check and see from time to time.

Todd Ritzman
Media Streaming Chairman

pjaffray
07-12-2013, 01:08 PM
www.airventure.org/webcams

Jim Hann
07-12-2013, 01:39 PM
www.airventure.org/webcams (http://www.airventure.org/webcams)
Awesome!

Todd Ritzman
07-12-2013, 01:52 PM
www.airventure.org/webcams (http://www.airventure.org/webcams)

Yes, as some of you have found, some of the cameras are online, but not officially yet.

While we are using the same settings as last year, we are having some difficultly with the connections on the DSL lines. You will find that some of them pause or jerk in there movements and sometimes even drop offline entirely. We are aware of this and are looking into trying to resolve the issues. Because of this, we will be taking the cameras offline at times as well.

Both Paul and I hope to be in Oshkosh tomorrow for awhile to test the DSL connections and start some troubleshooting.

Todd Ritzman

Jim Hann
07-12-2013, 01:54 PM
Yes, as some of you have found, some of the cameras are online, but not officially yet.

While we are using the same settings as last year, we are having some difficultly with the connections on the DSL lines. You will find that some of them pause or jerk in there movements and sometimes even drop offline entirely. We are aware of this and are looking into trying to resolve the issues. Because of this, we will be taking the cameras offline at times as well.

Both Paul and I hope to be in Oshkosh tomorrow for awhile to test the DSL connections and start some troubleshooting.

Todd Ritzman
Thanks for volunteering your time and expertise gentlemen.

RodBearden
07-12-2013, 02:16 PM
Hi Todd

Thanks for that. I was talking about the Wayfinding cameras - as they move between some points on some traverses, they aim at the sky rather than the ground - I noticed that last year as well as in the last couple of days. For example the Ultralight one, on its track from left to right along the ultralight runway, it just catches the tops of the trees while below the trees there's interesting stuff going on. I understand that the track is automatic, but perhaps you can program an extra stop on that traverse to lower the camera.

I appreciate what you say about the Airshow feed - I regard that as a great bonus when it does aim at the action!

As to the Pioneer Webcam, I reckon one on the Museum tracking the length of the runway and returning via the hangars would be a great addition for us poor souls who can't get there every year. Even when I have visited AirVenture, the webcams are great to check out what's going on when I'm back in the hotel/university room.

Keep up the great work - and many thanks for it!

Sawdust
07-13-2013, 06:28 AM
Yes, as some of you have found, some of the cameras are online, but not officially yet. :) :) :)

Official or not, seeing the live feed with tents going up, mowed grounds, people setting things up - gets me so pumped for Oshkosh! Wish I lived closer and could work weekends helping prep, but we'll be there ready to help on the 27th! Thanks so much for getting these cameras up!
Steve

mikeno
07-14-2013, 06:45 AM
If you want to view the webcams (Flash video) on your your iPad or iPhone, download a free app called "Photon". Paste or type in the URL address, hit enter and press the lightning bolt symbol in the tool bar and your set.
Mike

Hal Bryan
07-14-2013, 08:19 AM
If you want to view the webcams (Flash video) on your your iPad or iPhone, download a free app called "Photon". Paste or type in the URL address, hit enter and press the lightning bolt symbol in the tool bar and your set.
Mike

Sounds like an interesting tool, but not necessary in this case - the webcam streams play on IOS devices (via HTML 5, I believe) without any additional plugins or apps.

Sawdust
07-14-2013, 02:22 PM
Don't know if you worked on them, or if it's just lighting, but the video quality on the South and Central cams looks much better today. The ground level scan on the South cam is great - will show so much more of what's going on. So appreciate what you guys do!

Todd Ritzman
07-14-2013, 04:31 PM
Don't know if you worked on them, or if it's just lighting, but the video quality on the South and Central cams looks much better today. The ground level scan on the South cam is great - will show so much more of what's going on. So appreciate what you guys do!

Paul and I were at Oshkosh yesterday doing some troubleshooting and have narrowed it down to the DSL lines.

We have AT&T working on the connections. They are not expected to get to work on these lines again till sometime this week, but I expect they will get them working better soon. You many notice a change of quality from time to time right now as the DSL lines have been varying in it's capacity from time to time, this should stabilize when AT&T gets these connections resolved.

You will also notice that the Warbird Camera is offline now, this due to work on the DSL lines, but should be back up this week as well.

Far as the grounds in general. The EAA staff and all the volunteers have been hard at work getting the grounds ready. It is really amazing how much can get done in such a short time and can be interesting to watch. That is one reason Paul and I try to get these cameras online as soon as possible so others can watch the City of AirVenture be put together.

I will be taking the cameras offline for a little while this even while I work on the Vintage camera in hopes of getting some type of a tour running on this camera as well.

Todd Ritzman

Bill Berson
07-14-2013, 08:16 PM
I just checked the ultralight camera and found, like Rod said, it seems to follow the sky.
But one time it scrolled lower and I saw a new road with big changes near the Barn.
What is that road for?

Thanks for the cameras and your hard work.

mikeno
07-15-2013, 05:17 AM
Right Hal - I jumped the gun when I got an error message on the first webcam I selected. Since it's something I run into frequently with my iPad I assumed that was the problem here. The webcams work great without anything special required.

Paul Hayden
07-15-2013, 07:34 AM
yep, The page tries to load mpeg, if it no likey, it rolls to http streaming which is supported by most newer android and iOS devices.

We are also going to try to keep the first post updated so nobody has to sift through the whole thread to figure out what is going on.

Wrongway Feldman
07-15-2013, 12:07 PM
This is probably the least of your webcam troubles.
I noticed when I opened the in browser pop-up JW player
the aspect ratio is different in the south webcam than in the
central webcam.
Meaning the the video image is wrapped in a black
frame in the south webcam and the central webcam does not have
have a black bar on top.

Also Firefox 22.0 allows you to adjust the size of the browser pop-up JW player.
Internet Explorer 10 does not allow browser pop-up JW player size change.
South webcam looks like it is operating great.

Firefox screen shot below
Internet Explore screen shot below
Natural Flyer on camera sphere

Todd Ritzman
07-15-2013, 08:01 PM
Another update on the camera status.

All the wayfinding tower cameras are back online. We are still working on the DSL lines with ATT, but that has been going really well. I have to say the technician AT&T has out there is great to work with and has been going out of his way to get these lines working properly. We expect the last changes he made to roll out with a system update during the night and hopefully that will take care of the remaining problems with those lines.

In the mean time, I have made several changes to the camera and encoder configurations to get the streams working as smoothly as possible. The Vintage camera is new this year due to an untimely death of our previous camera when it's parachute did not open in time. It has taken a little extra time to find the configurations that seem to work well, but we are getting there. Something you will notice in the Vintage camera tour it is running, it is completely random, so there are times it takes an extended tour looking near the tree tops as it pans between stops. But as I said, the tour is completely random and is decided by the camera. As aircraft start arriving, the tours on all the cameras will be adjusted to try to highlight some of the aircraft, but still tour the whole grounds as well.

Hope all are enjoying the feeds.

Todd Ritzman

MEdwards
07-16-2013, 06:57 PM
Hi Todd,
When I try to access one of the cameras, such as the warbirds, from my work computer I get a bar across the window with the words:
Server not found: rtmpt://205.213.124.41:80/warbird/

Now this is a government system, and they've been blocking access to all kinds of stuff in the last year, so perhaps it's hopeless. But do you have any ideas? Thanks.

Mike E

Todd Ritzman
07-16-2013, 07:10 PM
Hi Todd,
When I try to access one of the cameras, such as the warbirds, from my work computer I get a bar across the window with the words:
Server not found: rtmpt://205.213.124.41:80/warbird/

Now this is a government system, and they've been blocking access to all kinds of stuff in the last year, so perhaps it's hopeless. But do you have any ideas? Thanks.

Mike E

Mike,

Is this the only camera you are having that issue with?

All three streams are should be configured the same on the stream off the server. While we have tried to make it so it can be accessed by a large variety of systems and from even behind some firewalls, we just can't provide service to all systems and through all security systems. The security system at my work also blocks it from being played, but will play just fine on the work laptop when not on the work network.

Todd

MEdwards
07-16-2013, 07:35 PM
Is this the only camera you are having that issue with?No, all cameras get the same kind of message. Looks like it isn't going to work this year. Thanks.
Mike E

Todd Ritzman
07-16-2013, 08:03 PM
I just checked the ultralight camera and found, like Rod said, it seems to follow the sky.
But one time it scrolled lower and I saw a new road with big changes near the Barn.
What is that road for?

Thanks for the cameras and your hard work.

That is a new perimeter access road the airport is installing for their use. I am sure some of it will be used for the convention as well.

Here is a link to more information. http://www.eaa.org/news/2012/2012-11-15_grounds-benefit-from-fence-road-project.asp

Todd

spongebobiwan
07-17-2013, 12:10 PM
I guess this just can't really be said enough, so thanks so much Todd to you and your crew for all the hard work put in to get the feeds up and running, and a bit earlier this year I think. I am thoroughly enjoying watching the little city come together again this year. Soooo.....thanks!

Todd Ritzman
07-17-2013, 04:28 PM
I guess this just can't really be said enough, so thanks so much Todd to you and your crew for all the hard work put in to get the feeds up and running, and a bit earlier this year I think. I am thoroughly enjoying watching the little city come together again this year. Soooo.....thanks!

Thank you, we are glad people do enjoy them and appreciate the feeds as well.

Both Paul and I do spend a fair amount of time getting things running and trying to keep them running, which can be a challenge at times. Looks like we might have some extra volunteers this year during the week and hopefully that will provide some extra recorded video to watch as well.

We just found out that the Vintage camera is offline for some reason. We are not sure what happened at this point other than we lost all communication with all the equipment and modem on that tower. We will be working on this as soon as possible, the bad part is we both live a little distance away, but we will work on getting it back online as soon as possible.

Todd

Todd Ritzman
07-19-2013, 10:19 PM
I drove to Oshkosh today to fix the issue with the Vintage camera and it is back online and as of right now, all three cameras are streaming. I had the other two off line for a little while this afternoon while doing some other testing on the lines as well. AT&T will be making some more changes to some of the connections. The changes they are making should not take the cameras offline or if they do, it won't be for long. A lot has changed up there since last Saturday when I was last up there. It is really amazing how much can get done in such a short period of time.

RodBearden
07-20-2013, 05:14 AM
Many thanks for your work, Todd - all looking good, and I see that two planes are already parked at Vintage Camping :-)

psvinny
07-20-2013, 09:09 AM
Thank you Todd. Those of us not in Oshkosh yet appreciate it.

Todd Ritzman
07-20-2013, 10:02 AM
AT&T rolled in the changes over night to the connections and all is looking good.

Now lets hope for a great show!

Bill Berson
07-22-2013, 06:06 PM
The cams are working well.
I viewed all three for an hour. Not a single moving airplane seen until just before I quit watching, a Bonanza taxied by.
I guess the busy day must be sat or sun.
But I will be on the road then.

BBRETTHORST
07-23-2013, 07:05 AM
Is the link on the Airventure main page yet,or am I just missing it;or is it somewhere else?

RodBearden
07-23-2013, 08:02 AM
I can't find the link on the AirVenture homepage either, but this is it: http://www.airventure.org/webcams/

Enjoy!

Wrongway Feldman
07-23-2013, 09:13 AM
Is the link on the Airventure main page yet,or am I just missing it;or is it somewhere else?

I can't find the link on the AirVenture homepage either, but this is it: http://www.airventure.org/webcams (http://www.airventure.org/webcams/)Enjoy!
When the convention starts, EAA will fire up a separate convention page, it is called AirVenture Live, from that page you will see Links to the webcams.
Once the convention starts they may also link to the webcams from the the regular AirVenture.org home page.

The AirVenture Live page is kind of a one stop shop for the hour by hour day to day latest news on the convention.
There will be a link to the AirVenture Live page from the regular AirVenture.org page once the convention starts. So keep checking

This link http://www.airventure.org/live/ shows last years page, they have not update it yet, but the web address should be the same.

Here is link that explains more about the AirVenture Live page http://www.airventure.org/news/2012/120719_avlive.html

This is what they have done in the past years, but you never know what they have planned for AV 2013 until the convention starts.

Hope this helps,

Bill
07-23-2013, 11:17 AM
As of yesterday and today, I've noticed randomly occuring pauses and/or jerks in all the cameras. Is AT&T going to be doing more work on the lines?

Jefflcarr
07-23-2013, 01:58 PM
First of all, big thanks to all of you who make this possible. I really enjoy being able to see things come together and then keep an eye on the show until I can get up there. I was watching the middle tower camera this afternoon (saw what looked like an F-86 and a couple MiGs on the plaza already!) and noticed something a little humorous. Every so often the camera would break from it's regular, slow travel and almost violently snap back to a southerly heading which happened to be centered on a row of vintage biplanes parked 4 abreast. It was almost as if the camera was trying to catch the biplanes in the middle of something mischievous. :) Just the random thought that popped into my head....

RodBearden
07-23-2013, 03:30 PM
Jeff - I think all the planes youi mention are from the Museum. I agree on the F-86, and I think the others in the Phillips Plaza are a MiG-15 and MiG-21.

As for the biplanes, I think the first one is the Lincoln PT-K, the next two may be Wacos with an unknown between them, and the last one is a PT-17.

Perhaps next year we'll get HD cameras ;-)

Paul Hayden
07-23-2013, 07:45 PM
AT&T has upgraded our lines. The video is as high quality as its going to get this year. The max we can push out is about a 450k stream. And even that is fairly impressive since this place is an airport with very little permanent infrastructure. We literally have modems and encoders in Tupperware boxes. The only way we would ever be able to upgrade to HD would be to upgrade all our cameras and get an Internet connection with 3 times the upload speed we currently have, at each location.

Hope that helps,
Paul Hayden
Streaming Media

Todd Ritzman
07-24-2013, 10:51 AM
First of all, big thanks to all of you who make this possible. I really enjoy being able to see things come together and then keep an eye on the show until I can get up there. I was watching the middle tower camera this afternoon (saw what looked like an F-86 and a couple MiGs on the plaza already!) and noticed something a little humorous. Every so often the camera would break from it's regular, slow travel and almost violently snap back to a southerly heading which happened to be centered on a row of vintage biplanes parked 4 abreast. It was almost as if the camera was trying to catch the biplanes in the middle of something mischievous. :) Just the random thought that popped into my head....

I don't know if those biplanes have been up to anything or not, but there are several that are camera shy and are hiding out behind the trees. Those are the ones that are probably up to the mischievous behavior. Hopefully that behavior will bring more planes......

As more planes keep arriving, we will start to modify the tours that the cameras are on and have them watch the runways more at well.

Todd Ritzman
Media Streaming

Dave S
07-24-2013, 11:34 AM
Great job guys! Is there any way you could post an overall map showing where the three cameras are located? I have never been to Oshkosh so I don't have much of a frame of reference.

RodBearden
07-24-2013, 12:15 PM
Dave - if you look at the standard map here http://www.airventure.org/planning/av13_visitormap.jpg you will see the three towers that house the cameras - the tower bases are on map row L: the yellow, red and blue towers have their names on them. There's no camera on the yellow (Homebuilders) tower.

Hope that helps.

Todd Ritzman
07-24-2013, 12:30 PM
A few more stops have been added to the Vintage camera tour.

Todd Ritzman
07-24-2013, 12:52 PM
The Warbird Camera tour has been modified to watch the runway a little more. Currently they are landing Rwy 9, so it will watch the approach and the beginning of Rwy 9, then tour a little bit and return to Rwy 9.

Greg Busby
07-24-2013, 06:37 PM
This is wonderful I have been watching the cams all evening

RodBearden
07-25-2013, 07:20 PM

I thought this image from the Warbirds Camera during an evening shower was worth sharing.

Special diamond raindrops for AirVenture!

RodBearden
07-27-2013, 02:36 PM
Many thanks for aiming the Warbird camera on runway 36 for the arrivals, but I think the Ultralight camera could be doing something more useful than showing little more than the yellow dot. Or perhaps it's stuck.

FS-MP
07-28-2013, 08:34 AM
Webcams are looking great this year, and no problems connecting.

Great job -- congratulation to Paul and his team. :thumbsup:

Todd Ritzman
07-28-2013, 08:52 AM
Just a FYI, The campground picture that turbopilot posted is not part of the EAA Media Streaming Webcams.

Todd Ritzman
07-28-2013, 08:57 AM
There is some random footage of video that was recorded yesterday of around the grounds. I will be putting another video together this morning on a camera that was mounted on a gator that is part of the Homebuilt parking crew. The weather yesterday was not that great here, so it wasn't a super active day of planes arriving.

This footage is being played during the day on the Theater in the Woods link.

Dave S
07-28-2013, 10:43 AM
Between the cams and the Live ATC, I am starting to itch all over. I think I am developing a twitch too. I keep calling my wife over to help me ooh and ahh because my tongue is getting cramps from oohing and ahhing to much. I cannot wait until I get my CX4 in the air - then boys and girls it's on like donkey kong and off to Oshkosh I'll go!

Todd Ritzman
07-28-2013, 02:20 PM
New video playing now on the Theater in the Woods link. This was recorded yesterday while riding around with the Custom Homebuilt Parking.

Todd Ritzman
07-28-2013, 06:34 PM
Tune in for tonights Theater in the Woods Program. Live now.

Here is a link to the Theater in the Woods Schedule

http://www.eaaapps.org/forumsearchresults.aspx?location=39

Wrongway Feldman
07-29-2013, 05:59 AM
Its Official
EAA Streaming Media/Cameras has made it main stream.
WBAY Action 2 News Green Bay. WI
Has announced and broadcasted the Live EAA AirVenture 2013 Streaming Webcam feed on Air.
This is a historical moment!
http://www.wbay.com/story/22926344/2013/07/24/web-cams-show-airventure-set-up
Below is a Television screen shot.

BBRETTHORST
07-29-2013, 08:15 AM
First,let me say,LOVE the cams.Next a question;are the cams self controlled,or are they controlled?Seams to me,that the Vintage cam focuses in on some things,then moves back to the south at warp speed.Just wondering,still almost as being there.

iflyatiger
07-29-2013, 11:50 AM
Hello Everyone.. Are the cameras down ? 1:50 eastern time..

Thanks again for providing this great service!

Update: I got on one of the cameras but still can't get on the others. Thanks

Paul Hayden
07-29-2013, 01:20 PM
All cameras and streams are functioning. Our server is getting hammered with requests, currently we have about 1200 outgoing streams, but I was able to pull up all 3 cameras. Airshow stream will be live in a few min on a different service, so we shouldn't have any connection issues no matter how many viewers.

Paul Hayden
07-29-2013, 01:23 PM
oh, the 3 panning cameras....they have setpoints and wander between them. The vintage one has a random setpoint mode, it has a tendency to do crazy transitions back to that far setpoint. we will look into it

PaulDow
07-29-2013, 03:12 PM
Hi,
Just wondering...Why does the airshow image have the corner marks and center + ?

Paul Hayden
07-29-2013, 03:16 PM
Hi,
Just wondering...Why does the airshow image have the corner marks and center + ?

yeah, we have no idea. Its something the camera is doing, we tried to get rid of it, but ran out of time before figuring it out. Hopefully it will disappear tomorrow.

rondawes
07-29-2013, 03:55 PM
Why is the airshow camera still on the Honda jet when there is an active act going on?

Hal Bryan
07-29-2013, 04:15 PM
From the webcams landing page:

Some of these cameras run on pre-programmed direction and show live feeds from the grounds, and some cameras (like the Air Show camera) may display live video of the daily air show as viewed through the lens of EAA's video production team. This is not a television-quality broadcast of the event, just a chance to share their view. There will be times when the videographer is moving the camera, reviewing existing footage, etc., where you may not see the show itself. This is to be expected. Also, for the Theater in the Woods feed, this camera displays live video from evening programming. Due to contractual and other obligations, there are certain events that can not be broadcast.

Smoke On
07-29-2013, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the great air show live camera. Fun to watch!

EAAJeff
07-30-2013, 07:58 AM
Ron,

I am assuming you are talking about the Airshow camera and not the Wayfinding Cameras as the cameras mounted on the wayfinding towers can not look up at the sky. Generally we have the wayfinding cameras running on an automated tour that stops at certain areas of activity or shows some of the general area of the airshow grounds. When the camera moves from point to point, the camera software decides how it is going to move the lens and is not something we can control.

For the Airshow Camera. We have been lucky to be able to provide this feed the last few years for those that have not been able to attend. The reason I say we are luck is we are not in charge of the camera or operator that we get this video from. He works for a different area and is given daily assignments of what items he is to capture during the day. So while he is recording the airshow, he also has to do some of his other assignments as well. Far as the camera being pointed at the sky, it can be very difficult to follow or find some planes as they are soaring or tumbling across the sky. There are times as well you will see the camera pointed at tents, trees, etc... this occurs as he is adjusting some of the balances on the camera as the conditions change. And there are times that the camera might just be parked in one position, he the only person up on the control tower operating the camera, standing out in the hot sun for hours at a time. He deserves a break once and awhile to get a drink or cool down a bit. You might not think running a camera is hard work, but when you are the only one doing it for hours at a time and standing in the hot sun, you will get tired. Without us being able to piggy back our video feed off this camera, we would not be providing this feed to you at all.

Far as the Pioneer Camera idea, I like that. We will add that to the list of possible additions in the future. We do hope to be able to provide some recorded footage of that this year from some action cameras that were added this year. What for some misc feeds during the day running on the Theater in the Woods Camera link. Remember this will be random, so check and see from time to time.

Todd Ritzman
Media Streaming Chairman

Want to endorse the Pioneer Camera, and also suggest firing it up again in the winter for the ski-plane fly-in. Would be great to also see a camera at the Seaplane Base during Air Venture. Suggest there also be an adjacent info/link with the bus schedule & location to get to and from there from the field.

PaulDow
07-30-2013, 08:21 AM
Since this seems to be a thread for difficult requests, how about a "Tram Cam"? Attach one to a tram running around the grounds :-)
I'm just keeping the first E in EAA relevant!

Actually the cameras are probably one of the best advertisements to get people to come out to see what they're missing.

Paul Hayden
07-30-2013, 08:33 AM
Check in on the Theater in the Woods stream throughout the day. :) we have footage from our random wanderings and other stuff playing on there.

Paul Hayden
07-30-2013, 12:22 PM
getting ready for the Air Show, now with fewer crosshairs. Hopefully we have a good view of the Jetman from the tower. The stream will go live close to 2:30pm and be available on demand about 10 min after the show ends on the same link. in the meantime we have random golf cart wandering on the Theater in the Woods stream

nomiddlemas
07-30-2013, 01:01 PM
Can you add a cam in a random aircraft that will fly around often? Like on the dashboard of a piper cub that will be flying around. I think that would be cool in an acrobatic plane.

nomiddlemas
07-30-2013, 01:02 PM
I like the golf carts. Although it is really laggy on my iphone. But ill just use my computer

nomiddlemas
07-30-2013, 01:31 PM
Nothing is showing up on the webcam and it just started. HELP

Dave S
07-30-2013, 01:35 PM
Same here.

Paul Hayden
07-30-2013, 02:04 PM
We would love to do stuff like that. In fact if there is anybody on the grounds that would like to provide a dashboard view, we have the cameras :) Let me know.

I_FLY_LOW
07-30-2013, 02:05 PM
Thank you guys, for providing us that aren't able to be there, the opportunity to watch what's going on.
This, plus the ATC chatter from ATClive streaming audio, is a nice fill in.
Hopefully I'll get to go again, next year.
Based on the limitations previously mentioned, I'm satisfied with what you guys are able to provide.

Paul Hayden
07-30-2013, 02:05 PM
The Air Show stream is up and running. It usually starts around 2:30 central time, plus or minus a few min.

Paul Hayden
07-30-2013, 02:07 PM
and is it just me? or is it hard to watch the little Sonix Jet without making Jetson's car noises?

I_FLY_LOW
07-30-2013, 02:26 PM
LOL
That is one cool looking plane, though.

FSMP
07-30-2013, 03:36 PM
Paul

Apprecaite all the work you and your team do, to give us a feel for Oshkosh, with the webcams.

I can't help but notice the Jumbotron, and the video feed it is getting during the Airshow. Looks great.
Multi Camera Feed ? Looks very professional.

I seems today, your Airshow Camerman has given up, and is just shooting the Jumbotron !!

What are the chances of actually getting that Jumbotron video feed, as the Airshow Stream. ?

Geoff

Hal Bryan
07-30-2013, 04:02 PM
I can't help but notice the Jumbotron, and the video feed it is getting during the Airshow. Looks great.
Multi Camera Feed ? Looks very professional.

I seems today, your Airshow Camerman has given up, and is just shooting the Jumbotron !!

What are the chances of actually getting that Jumbotron video feed, as the Airshow Stream. ?

Geoff

Hi Geoff -

The videographer in the tower has to periodically step away from the camera to review footage, change equipment, go to the restroom, etc. When he does this, he can either pull the camera back as wide as it can go, or point it at the Jumbotron along the flightline, and he's been alternating.

As for rebroadcasting the Jumbotron feed, no - there are a number of reasons why that isn't being streamed. First and foremost, it's meant primarily as a supplement for airshow viewers here onsite - all but required for Jetman. Secondarily, our purpose with these webcams is specifically not to try to do a professional, full-blown TV production around the airshow, but to give people a simple, DIY-style look at what's going on here at Oshkosh. If people really, really want a good look at the airshow, among many other things, come on out and see us! :)

Speaking of which - how's virtual Oshkosh going?

Cheers -

Hal

RodBearden
07-30-2013, 07:11 PM
I've really enjoyed today's coverage, but the Vintage and Ultralight cameras have hardly shown anything of the action on runway 18/36. Any chance of boosting that. at the expense of the relatively static parked airplanes?

PaulDow
07-30-2013, 09:01 PM
The on site large video screen content is produced by liveairshowtv.com. There's a couple of daily highlight clips on their site. It doesn't look like most of the programming will be available. The Rocky Mountain Air Show 8/16-18 and the National (Reno) Air Races 9/10-15 will be available live on the internet. Their site doesn't say if there's a cost though.

Jim Rosenow
07-31-2013, 05:50 AM
"Space Night" at TITW was awesome last night....thanks again Todd and Paul!

Jim

Todd Ritzman
07-31-2013, 06:21 AM
"Space Night" at TITW was awesome last night....thanks again Todd and Paul!

Jim

Thanks Jim.

We were able to watch some of it. We are currently processing the file and it will be replayed during the day.

Currently we have Sundays Theater in the Woods program playing along with some short video clips another attendee brought around for us to play.

Todd

Todd Ritzman
07-31-2013, 06:23 AM
Tonight's Theater in the Woods program is "Bringing the Shuttle West" and starts at 6:30 pm CDT.

FS-MP
07-31-2013, 06:54 AM
Hi Geoff -

The videographer in the tower has to periodically step away from the camera to review footage, change equipment, go to the restroom, etc. When he does this, he can either pull the camera back as wide as it can go, or point it at the Jumbotron along the flightline, and he's been alternating.

As for rebroadcasting the Jumbotron feed, no - there are a number of reasons why that isn't being streamed. First and foremost, it's meant primarily as a supplement for airshow viewers here onsite - all but required for Jetman. Secondarily, our purpose with these webcams is specifically not to try to do a professional, full-blown TV production around the airshow, but to give people a simple, DIY-style look at what's going on here at Oshkosh. If people really, really want a good look at the airshow, among many other things, come on out and see us! :)

Speaking of which - how's virtual Oshkosh going?

Cheers -

Hal

Hi Hal

Ref: Jumbotron -- I just thought it was worth asking .. Yes, from what I have seen, it looks like its a very professional production.

FSMP's Virtual Oshkosh is going well, with over 450 arrivals since last Saturday. This year we are limiting the event to just Prop, Turboprop, and small Regional Jets, so there is a lot more "hand flying and pattern work", and a lot less FMC and Autoland on 36 in 737s & 747s !!. Despite some initial resistance from the 737 "Captains", they are finally seeing the light, and starting to re-discover the thrills & enjoyment of getting back into a small GA plane, and being "at one" with their plane.

Hopefully, one year I'll make it to the real world Oshkosh, but when I do, I will defiantly have to fly in. !!

After over 100 simulated arrivals , mostly on the Rippon -Fiske arrival, it will be wonderful to actually do it for real .. although sometimes in the Sim, when surrounded by other aircraft, following the railroad track, maintaining separation, and listening to the Fisk controller, in continuous "speak mode", it seems amazing real.

It looks like the weather have been kind to Oshkosh, so far this week. All those heavy storm clouds form the west seem to be passing to the North or South of Oshkosh so far... so hopefully no washed out campsites this year.

http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/lite/N0R/GRB_loop.gif

Geoff

Todd Ritzman
07-31-2013, 11:39 AM
Sorry about the Ultralight camera being offline earlier, someone decided to unplug the system to plug in their phone and camera.

RodBearden
07-31-2013, 01:05 PM
Todd - I love your fisheye view over the entrance on the Air Show stream! Was that taken from one of the Bell 47s?

And I'm still hoping that the Vintage and Ultralight cameras will occasionally remember that there's an interesting runway behind them :-)

Rod

I_FLY_LOW
07-31-2013, 02:05 PM
That BD-5 looks pretty sweet.
Nice to see they're making them again.
Edit: FLS Microjet...

I_FLY_LOW
07-31-2013, 02:49 PM
Hey! Where'd the live feed go????
I'm an addict! I need my fix! QUICK!!!
LOL
~kicks rocks~

I_FLY_LOW
07-31-2013, 02:51 PM
If I go full screen on the warbirds feed, and squint, I can see the jumbotron! LOl

Todd Ritzman
07-31-2013, 03:14 PM
Hey! Where'd the live feed go????
I'm an addict! I need my fix! QUICK!!!
LOL
~kicks rocks~

Sorry guys.

There is a storm moving into the area and we had to get the camera operator off the tower and all his equipment put away before the storm hits. Depending on how quickly the weather passes, there is a small chance that we will still stream latter.

Sorry about this, but mother nature is just out of our control.

Todd

Todd Ritzman
07-31-2013, 03:26 PM
Latest Oshkosh Alert: Incoming storm approx. 30 minutes away. Rain, lightening, small hail, 30-40 mph winds possible.

PaulDow
07-31-2013, 04:06 PM
You should have put a woman on the tower instead of a man. Men are 6 times more likely to be killed by lightning, so that must mean a woman would be 6 X safer up there. :rollseyes:

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/american-men-almost-6x-more-likely-women-be-killed-lightning

I_FLY_LOW
07-31-2013, 05:09 PM
Sorry guys.

There is a storm moving into the area and we had to get the camera operator off the tower and all his equipment put away before the storm hits. Depending on how quickly the weather passes, there is a small chance that we will still stream latter.

Sorry about this, but mother nature is just out of our control.

Todd
No problem! I was teasing. I was still listening to the EAA radio feed, after the video shut down. Sounded kind of ugly, starting out. Hope you guys were able to dodge a bullet, and the winds didn't get out of hand. If the Night show goes on, will there be a possibility of a video feed, then? (Not sure the low light capability of the cam in question...)

I_FLY_LOW
07-31-2013, 05:10 PM
You should have put a woman on the tower instead of a man. Men are 6 times more likely to be killed by lightning, so that must mean a woman would be 6 X safer up there. :rollseyes:

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/american-men-almost-6x-more-likely-women-be-killed-lightning

Then who would be there to make us our bacon sammiches?!?!?:rollseyes:

Paul Hayden
07-31-2013, 07:06 PM
Ok guys....the Night Air Show is up and live.

I_FLY_LOW
07-31-2013, 07:37 PM
Thank you!!!!!

nomiddlemas
07-31-2013, 07:59 PM
Man its kind of hard to see anything out of the live cam.

I_FLY_LOW
07-31-2013, 08:19 PM
Hey! Who's playing with the dials again??~slaps side of monitor~ ~adjusts rabbit ears~

Paul Hayden
07-31-2013, 08:39 PM
Hey! Who's playing with the dials again??~slaps side of monitor~ ~adjusts rabbit ears~

Yeah. Our camera guy is reporting some equipment issues. Attempting to resolve.

rcmodelr
07-31-2013, 08:48 PM
Equipment issues... If the camera's still able to record the night airshow, it would be greatly appreciated if once the equipment issues are resolved, the entire night airshow would be played on one of the webcam streams so we could see what we've so far only been able to listen to.

I_FLY_LOW
08-01-2013, 09:10 AM
You lucky doawgs... Y'all are in for some beautiful weather there.
Looking forward to this afternoon's festivities.

Wrongway Feldman
08-01-2013, 09:34 AM
I just wanted to give an advance notice.
Last year, I requested the possibility of parking
the Ultralight camera for the Saturday's 6:00 AM balloon launch.
But I was little late in request.
Maybe you could give it another try this year.
The ballons were lanched last year around 5:45 AM, so the camera would have to be
parked at around 4:30 AM to watch them inflate the balloons.
I think they launch the balloons on the Ultralight runway.
A wide angle shot pointing at the at the Ultralight runway would probably do the job.
Maybe you could get a camera on one of the balloon baskets and play it back later.
The weather Saturday looks promising for a launch.

If possible archive it on the Livestream page.
http://new.livestream.com/accounts/4758466/AirVentureAirshow

Thanks,

Paul Hayden
08-01-2013, 11:06 AM
I don't think there is much if any usable video from last nights air show, there is a little over an hour on the Livestream archives. Major equipment issues that we are trying to have straightened out by today's show. Hopefully Saturday will prove to be less troublesome for both us and the fireworks crew.

We will try to remember to set the UL cam for the balloons before bed tonight, but we have no way or archiving the footage off the remote cams.

we have more random footage playing on the Theater in the Woods stream...and I have even heard rumors we will have an Ultralight's view of Oshkosh.

I_FLY_LOW
08-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Man! The footage is great, today! Keep up the great work!!!

Wrongway Feldman
08-01-2013, 07:50 PM
We will try to remember to set the UL cam for the balloons before bed tonight, but we have no way or archiving the footage off the remote cams. we have more random footage playing on the Theater in the Woods stream...and I have even heard rumors we will have an Ultralight's view of Oshkosh.
Paul,
I do not know if all the days are blending together but tomorrow is Friday and the balloons launch between 5:00 to 6:00 AM Saturday August 3, 2013
So, you don't have to re-task the UL cams until tomorrow tonight.

FYI
Vintage cam is off line as of 8:30 PM Thursday August 1, 2013

Thanks,

Paul Hayden
08-01-2013, 09:12 PM
Paul,
I do not know if all the days are blending together but tomorrow is Friday and the balloons launch between 5:00 to 6:00 AM Saturday August 3, 2013
So, you don't have to re-task the UL cams until tomorrow tonight.

FYI
Vintage cam is off line as of 8:30 PM Thursday August 1, 2013

Thanks,

oh...yeah...umm...I knew that....no...not really thanks for correcting my days.

We have vintage camera back up. Stupid GFCI tripped again....thanks for the heads up.

Hope everybody is enjoying Jetman on the Theater stream. This guy is fascinating...If you missed it tonight, we will try to replay it tomorrow along with some aerial footage shot by one of our volunteers.

Bob Law
08-02-2013, 09:25 PM
This is the second year I have had to miss Airventure due to health reasons. I really enjoy the webcams thank you very much. However, what I would like to see next year is a Runway Cam on runway 36. Some of us like to watch airplanes land, I would log onto the tower frequency in one window and open another for the webcam. That would be cool, what are the possibilities?

Wrongway Feldman
08-03-2013, 07:00 AM
Paul,
Looks like the balloon launch was a no-go.
Wind Speed 3 mph was good, but was blowing east, which would have taken them over the lake, not good.
Below balloon inflate screen shots.
Thank You for parking the camera.

Todd Ritzman
08-03-2013, 08:00 AM
This is the second year I have had to miss Airventure due to health reasons. I really enjoy the webcams thank you very much. However, what I would like to see next year is a Runway Cam on runway 36. Some of us like to watch airplanes land, I would log onto the tower frequency in one window and open another for the webcam. That would be cool, what are the possibilities?

Bob,

Sorry you have not been able to make it to the show and hope you will be able to in the future.

We try to balance the camera's on activity around the grounds and based on some of the requests. Usually on the beginning days of the show when most of the arrivals occur we do focus more time on the runways and the same applies as there is a lot of departures.

If you are asking about getting a camera closer to the runway just for that purpose, that is not possible due to many factors.

We have added more runways stops back in on the camera tours. Hope this helps.

Todd

Wrongway Feldman
08-03-2013, 09:06 AM
FYI

Vintage webcam has been parked, in one spot for quite awhile.
Unless that is what you want it to be doing.
It does not view show center/Philip 66 plaza.

Thanks

I_FLY_LOW
08-03-2013, 02:45 PM
Cool! Camera man got the wall of fire, today!!

Paul Hayden
08-03-2013, 03:00 PM
Lol. yea. CameramanTim was mad yesterday he had the shot setup on the area they usually blow up only to have them light off a section farther down. Today he tracked down the pyro guys got the skinny.

I_FLY_LOW
08-03-2013, 03:30 PM
I have a wall of flame photo sequence I took, from several years ago.
I happened to be standing next to one of the pyro guys that set it up prior in the previous day.
He showed me exactly where to aim, too.
WIN!!
If you're interested in seeing:
http://s29.photobucket.com/user/chevyman962000/library/Oshkosh%208-1-09
Password: oshkosh09

I_FLY_LOW
08-03-2013, 03:35 PM
C'mon.. #4 engine...

I_FLY_LOW
08-03-2013, 03:43 PM
that has to be one heck of a ride!
I'd love to give that a try!

I_FLY_LOW
08-03-2013, 03:45 PM
BTW, I sent you a PM the other day, Paul.

I_FLY_LOW
08-03-2013, 04:17 PM
Did the live stream break?
I'm now getting a "There was an error playing this video" message.

Bill
08-03-2013, 04:40 PM
I watched a good part of the airshow today, including the Jetman's performance, with only occasional short outages.

I_FLY_LOW
08-03-2013, 04:50 PM
It's been pretty steady, until now.. still getting it. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't something on my side. all the other webcams are up, and live.

I_FLY_LOW
08-03-2013, 05:33 PM
WTH?? Now when I click on the airshow cam link, the new window pops up, and where the video would be displayed, it now says I have to upgrade my browser...
WTF? I was watching the airshow, and it was working fine, then stopped streaming, altogether. Now I have to upgrade my browser?? WTF??

Todd Ritzman
08-03-2013, 05:55 PM
We are checking into what might have gone wrong. The best we can tell is it is a problem with Live Stream as we were still providing the feed, however we were having the same problems connecting to the stream as well. We still plan on having the night airshow stream live tonight.

I_FLY_LOW
08-03-2013, 06:00 PM
Good to hear. Thank you for the feedback.
It took multiple tries, and refreshes, and it finally updated to show the link to the page with the previously recorded shows.
It has 2 videos listed for 8/3.
The top one works, but the second one, which looks to pick up where the feed died, still is inop, on my side, as well.

I_FLY_LOW
08-03-2013, 07:22 PM
Finally! Thank you for getting the bugs worked out!

I_FLY_LOW
08-03-2013, 07:47 PM
Man that Aeroshell team is incredible at night!
I so want to get to see that next year.

I_FLY_LOW
08-03-2013, 08:31 PM
That Beech 18 is gorgeous!!!!

rcmodelr
08-04-2013, 10:25 AM
Will any of today (Sunday's) air show be streaming? Or was yesterday the last day the air show was planned to stream?

Todd Ritzman
08-04-2013, 11:23 AM
Will any of today (Sunday's) air show be streaming? Or was yesterday the last day the air show was planned to stream?

We were just notified that the video department will have a camera recording approximately half of todays airshow, so we will at least be able to stream part of the show.

Todd

Todd Ritzman
08-04-2013, 11:31 AM
The ultralight camera has been parked on runway 18 to watch departures.

rcmodelr
08-04-2013, 03:36 PM
Too bad they didn't schedule the stream for the air show cam for the full event time today... Event's still going on, but Air Show stream event was scheduled to end already at 4:30 EDT, or only 1 hour into today's air show. And the Air Show stream cut off just a couple minutes after 3:30.

Oh well... The Ultralights cam caught the Jetman's landing and his helicopter landing.

Todd Ritzman
08-05-2013, 08:54 AM
All cameras are on a general tour of the grounds again for those interested in seeing the remaining aircraft and teardown activities around the grounds.

Vin Rampey
08-05-2013, 09:12 AM
All cameras are on a general tour of the grounds again for those interested in seeing the remaining aircraft and teardown activities around the grounds.

Have very much enjoyed watching the video this morning - thanks for leaving them up and THANKS to all the volunteers who keep the cameras running!.....made me wonder if anyone has ever compiled a time-lapse video of the central grounds from build-up to teardown? Would be a cool image.

RodBearden
08-05-2013, 10:07 AM
Many thanks to all you webcam guys - looking forward to next year and the new PioneerCam ;-)

I_FLY_LOW
08-05-2013, 02:00 PM
Seems like I've seen a time lapse video from arrival to departure, in the past, unless it was a before and after shot of a particular area.
I'll have to do some digging.

Dave S
08-05-2013, 03:22 PM
Thanks you to all who made this happen! A special thank you to the folks who aimed the camera during the airshows - I really appreciate the chance to see what was going on. Again, thanks!

Todd Ritzman
08-05-2013, 03:46 PM
Many thanks to all you webcam guys - looking forward to next year and the new PioneerCam ;-)

Just wanted to let you know that we did check into Pioneer Airport and watched the activities there for quite awhile. Other than the Bell 47 flying, there really was not much to watch far as flying type activity there. Most of it was just people walking around.

We will keep this in mind as we continue to look at possibilities for future years.

Todd

Todd Ritzman
08-05-2013, 03:51 PM
Thank you to all of you that have enjoyed watching the webcams, Paul and I along with a couple new volunteers (that were gathering recorded footage) like to hear that what we are providing is appreciated.

Looking forward to Oshkosh 2014

Todd

RodBearden
08-05-2013, 06:33 PM
Just wanted to let you know that we did check into Pioneer Airport and watched the activities there for quite awhile. Other than the Bell 47 flying, there really was not much to watch far as flying type activity there. Most of it was just people walking around.

Todd

OK then, perhaps a couple of dedicated runwaycams would be good instead - I know I'm always asking for more, but that's because I like what you do so much! Again, many thanks!

Rod

D-ENIA
08-07-2013, 02:35 AM
Hi,

I would like to chime in to saying a big "Thank you!" for the webcams and the streaming video of the airshow and the Theater in the Woods. This makes not being able to attend this year much less painful. I enjoyed watching the air show stream every day. I also agree that it would be great to have runway cams during the main arrival and departure rush hours, with microphone to capture the ambient sound. That would make it feel like sitting on the flightline, from my own couch at home. I am hoping to attend OSH next year again in a "non-virtual" way.

Edit: Are you going to archive the airshow cam recordings on livestream somewhere for future viewing? Would be great to watch them again on a rainy November afternoon...

all the best from Germany

Thomas

lkorona
08-08-2013, 12:16 PM
Looks like the Vintage tower has been lowered, the cam is showing grass and has strange angles of the images!

So I guess that's a wrap for 2013, great job guys see you next year!

bartfly
08-08-2013, 12:49 PM
I saw as it happened the lowering of the way finding towers. Cameras are still on. Sad to see them coming down till next year.

Sirota
08-09-2013, 03:32 PM
I too want to say thank you to everyone that worked so hard to let me peak in and see what I missed this year. Having the cameras made havingt o stay home this year just a little less depressing.

Looks like the Vintage tower has been lowered, the cam is showing grass and has strange angles of the images!

So I guess that's a wrap for 2013, great job guys see you next year!

Todd Ritzman
08-10-2013, 08:45 AM
For those of you that still want to peek in at the last images of Oshkosh, the Vintage camera has been pointed back towards the control tower and Phillips 66 Square. This is about the only view we can give with the camera laying down and the picture oriented correctly.

Jim Hann
08-10-2013, 08:13 PM
Thanks to all involved and the "until next year" view of the tower! Good to see that the Vintage cam survived its loss of altitude this year!

Jim

Sawdust
08-10-2013, 10:25 PM
Thank you to all of you that have enjoyed watching the webcams, Paul and I along with a couple new volunteers (that were gathering recorded footage) like to hear that what we are providing is appreciated.

My son and I were two of those volunteers shooting daily footage. We got a serious appreciation for what it takes Todd and Paul to make it all work. All we did was film what we were seeing as we experienced Oshkosh (and my son stayed up a little later each night editing), but Todd and Paul - they put in some serious hours and serious effort every day! They deserve major kudos! We learned a lot this year, and we're really looking forward to OSH14!

Steve

Todd Ritzman
08-11-2013, 10:24 AM
Thanks to all involved and the "until next year" view of the tower! Good to see that the Vintage cam survived its loss of altitude this year!

Jim

Yes, it appears that all the cameras survived their decent back to the ground this year. I am sure the company hired to raise and lower the towers paid special attention to that this year.

:)

rcmodelr
08-11-2013, 05:45 PM
Since all 3 webcams are still streaming, would have been nice to have at least one of them pointed toward the runways so we can see the airplane traffic and see how much less active that runway is when AirVenture is not in progress. Nothing worth looking at in the grass.

Todd Ritzman
08-12-2013, 08:36 AM
Since all 3 webcams are still streaming, would have been nice to have at least one of them pointed toward the runways so we can see the airplane traffic and see how much less active that runway is when AirVenture is not in progress. Nothing worth looking at in the grass.

None of the cameras have a view of any of the runways when they are laying down. The closest view of the runway can be seen on the ultralight camera, and that you can only see some of the approach to rwy 36.

You can hear how little traffic is at Oshkosh right now my tuning in www.liveatc.net.

Todd Ritzman
08-16-2013, 04:29 PM
Paul and I went up to Oshkosh today and removed all the webcams. The good news is none of them received any damage this year. Now they all need to get cleaned up and packed away till next year.

It is amazing how quickly things can change up there. Many things have already been packed up and put away around the grounds, the planes are all gone :( , and there are just a few lonely campers in the campgrounds. The main show area still has a lot of the large tents still in the area, but many workers are getting them down very quick. I think the 4 hours we where there, we saw most of the framing for one of the large tents get mostly disassembled.

Todd

Todd Ritzman
08-16-2013, 04:33 PM
I also just wanted to let you know that the recordings of the Airshow Streams will be available to watch till September 16th if you want to get a few last views of this years airshows. The following link will take you to where they can be viewed.

https://new.livestream.com/accounts/4758466/AirVentureAirshow

Sirota
08-22-2013, 07:07 PM
Todd,

Just a note to say THANK YOU AND JOB WELL DONE. For those of us that couldn't make it this year, your cameras helped us feel that we didn't miss everything.

Dave Sirota

jjhoneck
09-30-2013, 08:36 PM
Just wanted to add my thanks to this thread -- and offer a suggestion for 2014.

For many, flying into OSH is the culmination of a life-long dream. It's a real "bucket list" item that should gladly be commemorated.

As such, a webcam that captured arrivals on Rwys 9/27 and Rwys 18/36 could be a real money maker for EAA. Connected to a simple commercial-grade DVR, it would automatically record arrivals in 30 minute bites. (I know, because we have such a system at our business.)

Thus, an OSH pilot would only have to know within 30 minutes of when he arrived at Airventure, in order to find the recording of his/her grand arrival!

This video bite could either be downloadable, or purchasable in DVD format. Of the half dozen or so pilots I've discussed this idea with, all said they would happily pay $20 to download their arrival. You could probably charge $40 for the DVD.

If just 25% of the 10,000 landing aircraft bought the video bite for $20, EAA would clear an easy $50K!

Just a thought for 2014.
--
Jay Honeck
Port Aransas, TX
Van's RV-8A N14EG
(2013 was our 31st consecutive year at OSH!)

raytoews
10-25-2013, 12:23 PM
How about putting the jumbo tron online during the airshow. I only seem to make it to OSH every ten years but watch all I can.
The more online the better, I would love to be one of those people who goes every year but that is not possible.

Ray

FlyingRon
10-25-2013, 12:44 PM
On the other hand, Margy would pay money to suppress the evidence of some of her Oshkosh arrivals.

psvinny
12-31-2013, 12:29 PM
Not that I am excited about Airventure 2014, but are the camera towers up yet. I would not want to miss any early arrivals. The way I see it 7 months is not too early to be there.

Todd Ritzman
01-08-2014, 01:52 PM
Not that I am excited about Airventure 2014, but are the camera towers up yet. I would not want to miss any early arrivals. The way I see it 7 months is not too early to be there.

I like the way you think. Unfortunately the towers will still be laying down for some time yet, but the planning has been in he works for awhile now. We are looking forward to Oshkosh 2014. T minus 200 days

dmbleess
07-12-2014, 02:37 PM
Are you going to run on this test thread again this year or will you start another one?

Todd Ritzman
07-14-2014, 05:40 AM
Are you going to run on this test thread again this year or will you start another one?

Yes, we will start a new thread for the webcams again this year. It has been very beneficial to us to see you input when issues to come up.

All the way finding tower cameras have been installed and the towers were raised last Friday. Initial testing of the connections are in progress and hopefully they can go live latter this week.

We are looking forward to another great year.

Todd