PDA

View Full Version : Mixed messages

Rv8tor
06-19-2013, 05:26 PM
Ok, I read here that EAA has agreed to pay for ATC services but I received a call to action email from Jack just today urging us to contact the House of Representatives. This is NOT a "questioning the Leadership" thread but I would to know the whole story. Does anyone know?

pat

Frank Giger
06-19-2013, 05:30 PM
My understanding is that it is a matter of "We'll pay, you b*stards, because you've got us by the short hair - but don't think it's over or that you'll be keeping the cash; we've got your bosses on speed dial and a bunch of folks who do, too."

Hal Bryan
06-20-2013, 08:15 AM
See this thread, in particular, Dick Knapinski's response:

http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?3956-Mobilize-the-House-against-FAA

In April, Congress give special permission to FAA to move money within its budget for air traffic services because of the air traffic tower and controllers issue. FAA officials contacted at the time and asked specifically about AirVenture operations assured EAA it would be “business as usual.”

On May 13, in a personal conversation with EAA Chairman Jack Pelton and EAA VP Advocacy and Safety Sean Elliott in Washington, D.C., FAA Administrator Michael Huerta and COO David Grizzle laid out this ultimatum:

EAA will sign a contract and pay the fees
Failure to do so means FAA will not give EAA the air traffic staff and waivers (including the NOTAM) needed to bring in all the airplanes for the event
EAA is not allowed to run the event as an uncontrolled field or with retired/volunteer controllers
If EAA doesn’t sign the contract in a rapid fashion, FAA won’t send the controllers

The initial contract called for a payment of $479,000 (eventually reduced to $447,000). Mr. Grizzle and FAA representatives contacted EAA on a nearly daily basis at the end of May demanding that contract be signed or no controllers would be scheduled for Oshkosh, citing a 60-day advance notice. U.S. Rep. Tom Petri, who represents Oshkosh in the House, asked FAA a list of very specific questions regarding FAA’s assessment and was basically told by Mr. Grizzle that FAA’s position would not change. Afterward, Senators began circulating a letter to FAA demanding answers to this new policy and calling the sudden charges “unacceptable.” The Senate originally required a response by June 7, but delays in completing the letter in the Senate moved the response date to no later than June 13. FAA demanded a signed contract prior to that date or would not schedule controllers.

As far as we know, as of June 19 the Senators have yet to receive an official response.

Using contract tower controllers was also studied, but FAA’s current contract tower agreement with Wittman Regional Airport includes language that states that the contract tower crew will not operate the tower during AirVenture week.