PDA

View Full Version : Veteran sees footage of his 1944 Spitfire crash for the first time

Zack Baughman
05-29-2013, 08:23 AM
This has been making the rounds of late and I thought it would be good to share here. It is from a short film shown at the Sundance Film Festival. It's well worth the 14 minutes it takes to watch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie3SrjLlcUY

Floatsflyer
05-29-2013, 10:44 AM
The look on his face and the astonishment in his voice when he realizes the footage is him is both poignant and emotionally priceless. In those few moments you can actually see his mind flashing back in time as his eyes focus on the images before him. It's an incredible moment of clarity. And he is so articulate in his service, flying and crash details. Just a beautiful rememberance so well told.

Bill Greenwood
05-29-2013, 05:13 PM
Zack,
Thanks for posting that, I had not seen it before. I don't yet have audio. I think that is likely a Mk XI. With wing fuel tanks instead of guns it would have had good long range, and a service ceiling near 45,000 feet, 422 mph top speed. Sure was. good belly landing.

CDS
05-30-2013, 10:26 AM
Beautiful. Wow. Thanks for posting this, it's certainly emotional and I've already shared with my colleagues.

champ driver
05-31-2013, 02:54 PM
That's a great story and video, thanks for posting Zack.