PDA

View Full Version : Downloading Experimenter PDF to iPad

Bill Berson
05-07-2013, 10:17 PM
Can someone explain how to download Experimenter to my iPad for reading offline?

After several hours study, I found that first I needed to load the iBook app ( free from App Store). I loaded iBook, but then I found this only works with PDF files.

For example, to test, I found and opened a PDF file from the FAA and was able to download that to iBook by touching at top of screen where a window appears "open in iBooks".

This doesn't work with Experimenter ( because apparently I need a PDF button to click)

Mike Switzer
05-07-2013, 10:34 PM
Looking at the page in your HTML browser, there is a dropdown icon at the top of the screen that is visible if you do a mouseover. Click on the "download entire pdf" icon

Bill Berson
05-07-2013, 11:03 PM
I don't know if the iPad has a HTML browser page? No mouse either.

CarlOrton
05-08-2013, 07:45 AM
I just tried this for the first time, because I wanted to read Experimenter on the airplane. (I see IE 10 still won't recognize carriage returns in my posts...). From my desktop, I saved the entire file as PDF. I then emailed it to myself. On the iPad, I opened the mail, clicked on the attachment, and it brought up Safari (the HTML browser, Bill...). From there, if you click the bookmarks icon at the top bar, a selection will open where you can tap on ireader, which will save the pdf in Safari. Seems to work, but I haven't left yet, so true result is still UNK.

Chad Jensen
05-08-2013, 08:52 AM
What Carl explained is exactly the way to do it. I do it for each issue on my iPad and it's usable and readable (though no links work offline obviously) without data or wifi.

Bill Berson
05-08-2013, 09:13 AM
Thanks Carl,
But I don't think I will be going to that much trouble.
The desktop gets turned on only for printing about once per month now.
I do everything from the iPad now.

At least I figured how to download and save PDF files direct from the iPad.

Mike M
05-08-2013, 04:07 PM
Thanks Carl,
But I don't think I will be going to that much trouble.
The desktop gets turned on only for printing about once per month now.
I do everything from the iPad now.

i read the announcement email from EAA on my samsung galaxy tab II, tapped on the link in the email, and the .pdf downloaded to the tablet. plus, instead of buying a moving map app, the android platform runs Avare, a no-charge moving map app which i learned about on EAA forums:

http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?2827-Free-new-Android-VFR-GPS-app-with-Sectionals-amp-AF-D&highlight=avare

all that, and the new android tablet cost less than a used ipad. competition is good for the consumer. we have entered the to each, his own, zone.

CarlOrton
05-08-2013, 04:22 PM
Ok, so how do you save a PDF on the iPad?

Bill Berson
05-08-2013, 05:26 PM
Ok, so how do you save a PDF on the iPad?

First download iBook from Apple App Store ( free)

Now you can download the PDF into iBook. Then find the PDF and view it on screen, touch top of screen and you should see a "open in iBook" . Click that. I did that with a FAA Advisory Circular. Saved it to iBook.

But Chad said Experimenter can't be saved on iPad directly. You must use a desktop to convert it and send to iPad.

I can read the Experimenter just fine on iPad with one click. Just can't save it for offline reading. Not a big problem, I will view online at home.

Anymouse
05-09-2013, 06:24 AM
Another app that you can try which I like MUCH better than iBook is Goodreader. It costs something like $4.99 I think. Unlike iBook, it will allow you to create a directory structure if you desire so you can file things in a more logical order. Also, it reads way more than just PDF formats.

Jim Hann
05-09-2013, 10:58 PM
+1 for Good Reader. That is what we will be using for our company manuals when we transition to the iPad at work. It is a very good program!

martymayes
05-10-2013, 07:26 AM
I use GoodReader as well.

Anymouse
05-11-2013, 06:59 AM
+1 for Good Reader. That is what we will be using for our company manuals when we transition to the iPad at work. It is a very good program!

Funny you should mention that. Goodreader is the sole reason why I got an iPad. At the time, I was flying three different types of aircraft. Goodeader allowed me to file all of my various manuals in their respective folders so I could pull them up with ease. Of course, I now use it for more that that, but Goodreader was the first app that made the iPad viable to me.