PDA

View Full Version : Eaa Oshkosh

Aaron Novak
04-25-2013, 10:59 PM
Generic title I know, however in this Instance it happens to be the title of a book I stumbled upon in my local small town library. It was written by Nigel Moll ( Then Executive Editor of Flying ) in 1984. The book is mostly pictures from Oshkosh '83 and '84, however it also contains text on what the EAA is, who they represent, and what their goals are."The EAA's role is as important as ever today: Factory-built airplanes are still beyond the means of most private individuals; airspace is becoming more tightly controlled every year; fuel is pricey. But People sill love to fly" It then goes into how the EAA has been organizing promoting homebuilding, both in Washington, and in small shops all over the country. Goes further in saying how enthusiasts of warbirds, antiques and ultralights are a natural fit. The pictures brought back (yes I will admit it) slightly misty-eyed memories of 'ol. When the brown arch was the entrance, girls walked around selling cokes off a tray, your admission tag could be made into a button for $3, the fly market was......BIG ( and not filled with carnival crafts ), cartop landings, Duane Cole's t-craft routine, etc etc etc. Its about a 115 page book, maybe 200 pictures....all but one being homebuilts, antiques, warbirds. Not saying anything one way or another about where the EAA has gone, but it was nice to get re-assurance that my memory of what it was, was not flawed.

-Aaron

Hal Bryan
04-26-2013, 07:27 AM
I picked that up a couple of years ago - great book! It predates my first visit (1989) by a few years, but it was close enough that there were plenty of memories for me, as well. (Though I remember people selling concessions, not just girls... ;) )

Kyle Boatright
04-26-2013, 06:52 PM
Funny enough, there was one on Ebay a few minutes ago. ;-)

rwanttaja
04-26-2013, 08:59 PM
I picked that up a couple of years ago - great book! It predates my first visit (1989) by a few years, but it was close enough that there were plenty of memories for me, as well. (Though I remember people selling concessions, not just girls... ;) )
How much were the girls going for? :-)

Ron Wanttaja

Jim Hann
04-26-2013, 09:00 PM
I've got a copy of that, probably bought it in the late eighties. My first visit was 1987 (Voyager!)

FlyingRon
04-26-2013, 09:03 PM
http://newlin-deschler.com/Pictures/dvorak/john-belushi-how.much.for.the.little.girl.jpg
How much for the little girl?

Hal Bryan
04-27-2013, 06:11 AM
How much were the girls going for? :-)

Ron Wanttaja

This is a tough room... ;)