PDA

View Full Version : Medical Valid Lengths

seeekandstroy
04-19-2013, 07:18 AM
Ok, so I have a First Class medical that I got August 2012. When should I expect this to expire. I was told 6 months when I got it, making that Jan 2013. However, I read that for Student pilots (which is me), the expiration is 60 months (5 years) after the issue date, making that Aug 2017. Can someone please clarify this for me? And for my sake, please explain your answer. I don't want to fly on expired medicals...

Auburntsts
04-19-2013, 07:34 AM
If you're under 40 and a student pilot, then your Class 1 will expire on the 60th month after the month of the date of examination shown on the medical certificate. The 6-month expiration only applies to ATPs over 40. Here's the link to the part 61 table that explains it all: http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?type=simple;c=ecfr;cc=ecfr;sid=85f2f758c7572cf 6fd784c355d1c55a1;idno=14;region=DIV1;q1=61.23;rgn =div8;view=text;node=14%3A2.0.1.1.2.1.1.17

seeekandstroy
04-19-2013, 08:40 AM
Thank you. That's what I thought.

gbrasch
04-19-2013, 04:57 PM
Just a side note, my company, along with others, require a 1st Class medical only once a year. So we are 1st Class for the first 6 months, then it reverts to a 2nd Class for another six months before we have to get checked again. Go figure.......

Auburntsts
04-19-2013, 05:43 PM
Just a side note, my company, along with others, require a 1st Class medical only once a year. So we are 1st Class for the first 6 months, then it reverts to a 2nd Class for another six months before we have to get checked again. Go figure.......

Glenn,
I was under the impression that the 2008 change did away with the reversion of higher certificates to lower ones, but I won't swear to it.

gbrasch
04-19-2013, 08:00 PM
If that is true, my company which employs over 700 pilots is in the dark! Worth checking into!

Jim Hann
04-20-2013, 08:29 PM
Glenn,
I was under the impression that the 2008 change did away with the reversion of higher certificates to lower ones, but I won't swear to it.

I had not heard that either, my company requires you to obtain a first class but the domestic FOs only had to renew it once a year. I say "had" because the ATP requirement has apparently been interpreted to require the first class medical for all pilots, but I know know if they mean valid as a 1st or just a 1st when it was issued. We shall see when somebody does the press to test on this.

Bob Dingley
04-21-2013, 10:13 AM
If that is true, my company which employs over 700 pilots is in the dark! Worth checking into!

My take on the confusion is that FAA just made it more liberal. A 1st class once was a flat six months, period, end of discussion. Now, if you are younger than 40, you get a year. The table at 61.23(d) explains it all. I understand you only need student privileges, not ATP?

FAA only require a comm/class 2 for our 135 op and in some cases ATPs only take Class 2s. However, some of our clients,( but not FAA) required a Class 1 once a year. That then required the over 40 guys to take an EKG. The unreimbursed med cert expense induced many ATPs to go class2.

There was a period of my carrier's history when a shortage of experienced pilot applicants resulted in some low time new hire co-pilots. The FSDO suggested that "Training Captains"be appointed. Another guy and I got letters from the Chief pilot designating us. We flew the line with pilots that were other wise qualified, just less than 1500 hrs. See FAR 61.3(d)(3)(ii) for ATP privileges. Pretty much the same as CFI/CFII. You revert to comm/class 2 after six months unless you renew.

Bob