PDA

View Full Version : Membership number rant

danielfindling
04-11-2013, 06:52 PM
Every once in a while my interactions with EAA require my membership number. A number that I have absolutely no idea what it is. I am aware that having a low EAA number evokes a sense of pride among many, but I feel it is time for EAA to enter the 21st century and get rid of membership numbers and utilize members names or a nickname.

For the nostalgic, put a member since date on a membership card. I used to be a member of CompuServe and had a number there too. If you ask yourself what CompuServe I am making my point. With so many numbers - birth dates, credit cards, cell phones. soc. sec. etc., I have run out of grey matter to remember my EAA number.

Alternatively, when I inquire about EAA insurance, or try to obtain a young eagle or an Eagle flight packet, don't ask me for my EAA number. I just can't remember it.

Whew!

Daniel

Kyle Boatright
04-11-2013, 07:35 PM
A great suggestion would be for EAA to include it (and label it) on each magazine and each electronic communication. That way, a member could (almost) always quickly find his/her number.

Floatsflyer
04-11-2013, 07:37 PM
Not so much a rant Daniel, sounds more like an annoyance when you don't have your wallet with you.:D But for all those that share your suggestion, the song :"You Know My Name, Look Up the Number", by The Beatles seems like an appropriate anthem for you.

http://youtu.be/j-TWLSliZ-U

krw920
04-11-2013, 08:12 PM
Funny thing is, they give you this nice card with your number on so you don't have to remember it! Besides, how many John Smiths do you think might be members? I am sure they were assigning numbers way before anybody know what nicknames were besides calling someone the thin guy "Slim", so why change now?

Bill
04-11-2013, 09:48 PM
For the nostalgic, put a member since date on a membership card.

Daniel

Why would anyone want to emulate AOPA???:rollseyes:

Jim Hann
04-11-2013, 11:00 PM
Dan, whats the problem?

Jim
(SSN, not shown)
There are more, but this is off the top of my head after a long day... :rollseyes:

Joe LaMantia
04-12-2013, 06:57 AM
OK,

I just pulled out my membership card it sits in a "slot" in my wallet right next to my AOPA card. Both cards have my name, member number and "member since" date along with the membership renewal date. I get "Sport Aviation" and "AOPA Pilot" and both print my membership number on the second line of the address. EAA prints it on the back cover and AOPA is still using the "old fashioned" stick-on label affixed to the front cover. I've been a member of both organization for over 20 years and I still haven't bothered to memorize these numbers. The need to actually use these numbers rarely comes up and I don't leave the house without my wallet so it's no big deal.

Joe
EAA 356233!
:P

Joe Delene
04-12-2013, 07:49 AM
I only have so much room in my wallet, none for my EAA card unless I plan to need it. I just look in my card pile should I need the number. I think it should be on the magazine address label, if it's not there already.

Joe LaMantia
04-12-2013, 08:09 AM
Joe,

As I said, it is on the magazine back cover first number on the 2nd line below your name followed by a slash ( / ) and yet another number.

Joe
:cool:

Auburntsts
04-12-2013, 08:30 AM
Hah-- you think remembering a 6 digit membership number is annoying? Besides the usual membership numbers and a pins, I've also got three 16-digit passwords and one 18-digit one, 2 of which I only access occansionally and all change every 90 days.

FlyingRon
04-12-2013, 08:34 AM
403437. Not a problem, however every time I've run into the EAA if you say you don't remember, they'll just look it up given your name (and possibly some disabiguating information like where you live). I don't see it as a problem.

It's just a matter of how much you use it. Back when I was travelling out of the country regularly, I could fill my passport number in on a form without looking at it. Darned if I remember what my CURRENT one is.

Bill Greenwood
04-12-2013, 09:09 AM
When I receive my new membership card for EAA, AOPA, etc. I put it with my id cards, but I put the expired one in the drawer by the telephone, so every once in awhlle, like when some places offer discounts for members, I need the number. Mine begins 007.
Now, I have real telephones, since I use the both the fax and internet from the phone company, and I might be a tad old fashioned or so my Son says, and I prefer a phone that actually works and you can hear on. If you don't, then maybe you have a drawer where the tv control is kept.

I went through TSA in Austin and the Brunhilda stares at me and says, "What's your name?" I thought she must be joking, since she was holding my boarding pass and my photo id with my name on both of them. But I realize that TSA doesn't exactly recruit at Harvard, and maybe she really can't read. So I gave her my name and asked if she actually has people that don't know their name, and she says there are lots of them. I didn't want to make her anymore confused or hostile so I didn't ask her name.
By the way, the incident leaves an opening for humor at the expense of a certain institution, but I am trying to keep the pledge to the Man that if Texas won that last game 2 years ago, I would try not to make fun of the other guys. Some days there is a lot of temptation to overlook it,but I gave my word, and in the end that is the core of who we are.

I went to the bank yesterday and told the young man at the counter that I wanted to check on an incoming deposit. I gave him my account number and he looked at me in sort of a stupor, like a vending machine that you haven't put the right coins in. So I asked to see my balance and he still seemed confused. He asked me for my debit card, and I told him I don't have or want one and gave the account number. He looked down at his keyboard as if he was hoping for it to do some miracle without any action on his part. By now I had my photo id out, which is not in the debit card that they pedal, and he took it and finally looked up my info. He claims that neither he, nor most people even know their account number. I wonder what these folks do if they ever lose the magic debit card.

prasmussen
04-12-2013, 12:30 PM
How about picking a number to representyou? That way, if 5555555 were not available, a combination even apilot could remember maybe.

Or an implant. Back of the hand and we could speed through the line at AirVenture and be billedautomatically. Chip could store all kinds of information we can'tremember. Frequencies, coordinates, anniversary.........

danielfindling
04-12-2013, 12:49 PM
How about picking a number to representyou? That way, if 5555555 were not available, a combination even apilot could remember maybe.

Or an implant. Back of the hand and we could speed through the line at AirVenture and be billedautomatically. Chip could store all kinds of information we can'tremember. Frequencies, coordinates, anniversary.........

Or more simply your name and a 4 digit pin (that gives room for a 1000 John Doe's); alternatively a phone number? I think I remember mine.

martymayes
04-13-2013, 07:14 AM
Just enter "EAA" in your smart phone directory with your EAA number. You'll always have it with you cause I don't know anyone that goes anywhere without their phone.

wacoc8
04-13-2013, 08:59 AM
Just enter "EAA" in your smart phone directory with your EAA number. You'll always have it with you cause I don't know anyone that goes anywhere without their phone.

Now I know why you no longer live in Louisiana. The use of common sense is severely frowned upon!

Dave Tyndall
EAA 116326
VAA 7288

(I had to look the numbers up to put them in my phone!)

Bill Greenwood
04-13-2013, 09:06 AM
I wonder if for some folks their phone is smarter than they are?

Mayhemxpc
04-13-2013, 11:46 AM
Do you know tour airman certificate number off-hand?

As Marty recommended, I have all of that stuff in my smartphone -- which my wife regards as a major security violation. The exception is my pilot certificate, which I do remember and doesn't need to be in my smartphone. I have no inclination to remember much less important things, like my driver's license number. My EAA number is somewhere in the middle of that spectrum. As I get ready to go to AirVenture I remember it through repeated use. Otherwise, smartphone and my flying wallet.

martymayes
04-13-2013, 12:54 PM
Now I know why you no longer live in Louisiana. The use of common sense is severely frowned upon!

Dave, I did graduate from Baker High School, lol.

Frank Giger
04-13-2013, 11:11 PM
My wife is one of those mutant people who can spout out just about any number associated with her, including bank account numbers. I, on the other hand, have to check the tag on the ones I'm wearing when picking out new shoes. ;)

Since I never really had credit cards, don't carry photos or business cards the EAA card isn't that big an addition to my wallet. Plus I only rarely need my membership number, as I don't buy a lot of EAA stuff and only renew my chapter membership once a year.

Oh, and I only carry my cell phone when I'm certain I'll need it. Otherwise it's put away where it can't bother anyone.