PDA

View Full Version : No more Chad?

Bob Collins
03-17-2013, 10:42 AM
Chad Jensen has done a great job getting homebuilders front-and-center again at EAA. And a big deal was made of it a year or so ago when he was elevated to a senior management position. He's been very active at getting homebuilder concerns aired and also providing good tips, getting the Experimenter back going again etc.

So it's a real shock to find out that EAA fired Chad on Friday.

I wish him the best; he's a good man.

Unwiredone
03-17-2013, 10:45 AM
Any intel as to why this occurred?

rwanttaja
03-17-2013, 10:57 AM
Was it an individual action, or part of another round of layoffs?

Ron Wanttaja

Hal Bryan
03-17-2013, 11:02 AM
Guys, I can't, and, more importantly, won't say much, but any action along these lines would be strictly a personnel decision, and has absolutely no reflection on Chad's performance in his multiple areas of responsibility. In addition, this in absolutely no way indicates any change in direction on the part of EAA with respect to what I hope all of you are seeing as our renewed "balance" in terms of focus on homebuilding, the relaunch of Experimenter, our reinforced commitment to SportAir workshops, etc.

On a personal note, Chad is a great friend, and a highly competent and respected colleague, and none of us wish him anything but the best regardless of his future direction.

gbrasch
03-17-2013, 11:32 AM
This is a big loss to EAA!

Sonex1517
03-17-2013, 11:33 AM
Sorry, more evidence of complete chaos in Oshkosh. As a member, here is one persons statement to senior management at EAA - get your freaking heads together and figure out who you are, what you are doing, and what you want to be when you grow up.

I deleted the rest of a very long rant. This week has been a reminder to me of how lost my favorite aviation organization has become.

Bill Greenwood
03-17-2013, 11:41 AM
Hal, please give Chad my best and tell him to phone me if he needs anything. Eaa has the phone or it is in informaition.

I rarely have occasion to phone EAA directly, but I needed to just last week. The person that they referred me to was Chad. He was exceptionaly helpful, polite, and friendly. He took care of what I needed and even sent me an email in order to make it easier for me.That was Thursday the 14th.

AFTER THAT CONVERSATION I HAD A GOOD FEELING TOWARD EAA; IT REALLY DID FEEL THAT I WAS PART OF THE GROUP AND NOT JUST US MEMBERS VS THOSE IN THE ADMINISTRATION. Just 2 hours ago I was sitting at the joiners table at breakfast and met a couple who summer in Wisconsin and I was telling them about EAA and that they should visit.
CHAD SEEMED EXACTLY THE TYPE OF PERSON WE NEEDED.

And Hal, if you can't tell us why, can you at least tell us who was the one who fired him?

SO NOW HE IS GONE, AND WE DON'T KNOW WHY, ONLY THAT HE WAS FIRED.

I AM REALLY UNHAPPY ABOUT THIS, AND ONCE MORE HAVE DOUBTS ABOUT WHAT SEEMS TO BE THE NEW EAA.

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but right now it feels like P R wise that EAA is about one notch above Carnival Cruise Lines.

Hal Bryan
03-17-2013, 11:47 AM
Hal, please give Chad my best and tell him to phone me if he needs anything. Eaa has the phone or it is in informaition.

I will do that, Bill - thank you.

Mike Switzer
03-17-2013, 11:59 AM
I AM REALLY UNHAPPY ABOUT THIS

You aren't the only one. :(

Kyle Boatright
03-17-2013, 12:01 PM
This doesn't make a lot of sense.

Chad is one of the people at HQ who seems to get it.

On the other hand, the magazine editor is turning Sport Aviation into a boring parody called "Safety Aviation". He clearly doesn't get it. But I assume his position is safe...

Mike Switzer
03-17-2013, 12:02 PM
You know, it is really hard for an organization to attract and hire good people when prospective employees see that there is a history of people being released.

RV8505
03-17-2013, 12:12 PM
Taken from the Van's Airforce Web Site. In Chad's own words. It's true folks. I'm hoping this can be reversed, but I was released on Friday. Didn't want to leave in the least and my hope is that I gt it back...soon.
920-426-6806

hydroguy2
03-17-2013, 12:17 PM
I don't know what transpired for this to happen, but hopefully it is a misunderstanding between parties and can be resolved for both Chad and the EAA. Mistakes can happen on both sides of the fence, good teams work through them.

I was ready to leave the EAA, but the hiring of Chad Jensen told me, that this was an organization who cares about me as an experimental aircraft owner/builder. The turn around has been noteworthy, surely due in part, to Mr. Jensen. If people like Chad are easily discarded, I will lose faith in the future direction of the EAA.

I support repairing this issue and getting Chad Jensen back on the team. We need him!

JimmyH
03-17-2013, 12:38 PM
I see this as a major blow to EAA . I see this is going to do little to help the organization that has had its image tarnished more and more. I have only talked with Chad a couple of times but beside being a great voice for the organization he brings a lot of experience from being a builder himself. I question a place that fires an employee that covers what the organization was founded on . I would say less and less experimental.

They always say actions speak louder than words. I see what homebuilders represent to them. Hopefully they realise the significance of their error. We will see

Jimmy

martymayes
03-17-2013, 12:40 PM
Working at EAA sounds like a hazardous occupation.

Turbomallard
03-17-2013, 12:53 PM
I've had the pleasure of knowing Chad for over 15 years now. With regard to this situation, there are aspects of it that are part of his personal and private life and are not for public consumption unless he deems otherwise. I'm sure he would appreciate it if people do not jump to conclusions about either EAA or himself.

Anymouse
03-17-2013, 01:49 PM
First Joe, now Chad.

Don't know what else to say.

Dick Knapinski
03-17-2013, 01:54 PM
I've had the pleasure of knowing Chad for over 15 years now. With regard to this situation, there are aspects of it that are part of his personal and private life and are not for public consumption unless he deems otherwise. I'm sure he would appreciate it if people do not jump to conclusions about either EAA or himself.

Both Turbomallard and Hal Bryan are correct in what they've said. Chad is a friend and colleague to me as well. Any other speculative conclusions without knowledge of the situation are both incorrect and a disservice to Chad.

rwanttaja
03-17-2013, 02:29 PM
You know, it is really hard for an organization to attract and hire good people when prospective employees see that there is a history of people being released.
If that were the case, the US aerospace industry would have died in the '70s.

Chad has contacts outside of EAA, if he wants to tell us the reason, he'll do so. But if he *doesn't* want to, we're doing him a disservice speculating about it. If he's trying to get his job back, he probably doesn't want to burn his bridges. In that case, focusing too much attention on him would be counterproductive.

Ron Wanttaja

rwanttaja
03-17-2013, 02:50 PM
Both Turbomallard and Hal Bryan are correct in what they've said. Chad is a friend and colleague to me as well. Any other speculative conclusions without knowledge of the situation are both incorrect and a disservice to Chad.
Then the question to ask is, then: Who at EAA will take over the work Chad was doing before his departure? Will this be a dedicated position (like Chad occupied), is someone else assuming "Homebuilders Community Manager" as a secondary task to their current duties, or has EAA decided that a dedicated homebuilt community manager is no longer needed?

Ron Wanttaja

Mike Switzer
03-17-2013, 02:53 PM
Ron, I'm thinking more of how the recent history of personnel changes looks to someone who might have been considering applying for one of the open positions they have been advertising.

Speaking from my personal experience, there are a couple manufacturing businesses near me that are always running ads for engineers. I did some checking & found out the average time someone stays there is less than 18 months. I decided I wasn't interested.

1600vw
03-17-2013, 03:03 PM
Mike that is why they are always looking. Its places like this that must look outside their area for employee's, for everyone whom lives close by know how they treat people. They will be the ones to say..No good workers around. When its really, no one wants to work for them, that matter that is.

rwanttaja
03-17-2013, 04:24 PM
Ron, I'm thinking more of how the recent history of personnel changes looks to someone who might have been considering applying for one of the open positions they have been advertising.

True, but while I think that makes potential applicants cautious, I don't know if that'll make them shy away. If they ask about it during the application, it's easy for the interviewer to brush off ("Oh, we've got a new CEO, new broom, and all that..."). I don't believe EAA has a long-term history of hire-and-fire; most of of the personnel actions started with the economic turndown of several years back...which, again, makes it easier to explain away.

Speaking from my personal experience, there are a couple manufacturing businesses near me that are always running ads for engineers. I did some checking & found out the average time someone stays there is less than 18 months. I decided I wasn't interested.

Yes, but me and you ain't one of them gol-darn kids (Get off my lawn!). Youngsters today aren't really interested in long-term employment; some of them view quitting a job when they get tired of it or when they feel like a long break as just a normal practice. No family, sharing an apartment with a kindred soul, maybe a beat-up old car. Not a major issue to up and quit, as long as there are other jobs.

I'm a member of the Engineer's union at Boeing Seattle. We just nearly had a strike over pension plans...the company offer was identical to our last contract, except it eliminated pension plans for new-hires in favor of a 401K plan. There was a lot of agonizing over this... we didn't like the new hires NOT having the same opportunity for a comfortable retirement after a long career as we did. But, almost universally, the younger engineers didn't see it as that big of a thing. They didn't plan on staying with a single employer all that long (I hit 30 years with Boeing this week...sigh), and didn't see any benefits from a strike over a system they didn't want.

Ron Wanttaja

Flyfalcons
03-17-2013, 05:09 PM
Guys, I can't, and, more importantly, won't say much, but any action along these lines would be strictly a personnel decision, and has absolutely no reflection on Chad's performance in his multiple areas of responsibility. In addition, this in absolutely no way indicates any change in direction on the part of EAA with respect to what I hope all of you are seeing as our renewed "balance" in terms of focus on homebuilding, the relaunch of Experimenter, our reinforced commitment to SportAir workshops, etc.

On a personal note, Chad is a great friend, and a highly competent and respected colleague, and none of us wish him anything but the best regardless of his future direction.

Odd, I thought this was an organization by the membership and for the membership. I'm struggling to find a reason to renew anymore.

pacerpilot
03-17-2013, 05:22 PM
Odd, I thought this was an organization by the membership and for the membership. I'm struggling to find a reason to renew anymore.

After reading the magazine lately I'm finding it difficult tp renew as well. It seems the "EAA" is fast becoming "GAA". Lots of stories on factory built planes and kits but very light on true building info. The tips articles are great but there's not enough in my opinion. Maybe if Chad starts writing articles on biz jets and glass cockpits he can get his job back?

dewi8095
03-17-2013, 05:38 PM
Any other speculative conclusions without knowledge of the situation are both incorrect and a disservice to Chad.

Well, I don't understand this position. This appears to be a dismissal, not a voluntary departure. If we don't get creditable information about the dismissal of a staffer that the membership respected highly, what are we to conclude? Seems to me that if Chad's welfare were forefront, it would have been noted that he left for a better position or something similar. We need some information or speculation will be rampant. Sounds like a "trust us, we did the right thing scenario."

Don

Bob Collins
03-17-2013, 05:58 PM
I'm not engaging in speculation. The personnel matters are the EAA matters. However, I'd be very careful, EAA, in any suggestion that the members don't have some skin in the game here and the cone of silence just isn't going to work here. Chad was brought in to further establish the homebuilder community, he did that and from what everyone says, he did it well. It is, however, another amplification of an ongoing question: What...the...hell... is going....on...over... there? I mean, seriously, we finally got rid of Hightower, Jack Pelton seems like an affable chap, Chad's doing a good job... he just bought a house in Oshkosh and --wham.

When Chad was hired, EAA pointed out -- correctly -- that this was a statement to the entire homebuilding community. So, perhaps you can understand why his dismissal is a statement, too. When Hightower gassed so many people a couple of years ago, Chad was the good soldier for the organization, pointing out that the homebuilder representative had been elevated to senior management and "had a place at the adult table."

So when that place setting is removed, it carries a significant message. You get that, right? Just tell me you get that and I'll feel better.

Sonex1517
03-17-2013, 08:06 PM
Well said Bob, well said.

Robbie Culver

JimmyH
03-17-2013, 08:52 PM
Bob Collins hit the nail on the head .That was my thoughts exactly , just couldn't word it better than that. They had better not sweep this under the rug.

Floatsflyer
03-17-2013, 09:19 PM
Taken from the Van's Airforce Web Site. In Chad's own words. It's true folks. I'm hoping this can be reversed, but I was released on Friday. Didn't want to leave in the least and my hope is that I gt it back...soon.
920-426-6806

I believe we should give Chad's own words the creedance due rather than speculative stuff going on here. His words suggest that he believes he was wrongfully dismissed and that this event is far from being a fait a complis. In reading between the lines as well there is more here than work related.

EZRider
03-17-2013, 10:14 PM
This is very disappointing news. He was a real EAA asset and was a positive face and force for the organization.

RV8505
03-17-2013, 11:59 PM
I believe we should give Chad's own words the creedance due rather than speculative stuff going on here. His words suggest that he believes he was wrongfully dismissed and that this event is far from being a fait a complis. In reading between the lines as well there is more here than work related.

I agree, They should have talked to Chad and got the OK before they even started these threads. The man is trying to get his EAA job back and I am sure this is not helping. It's not to cool to plaster your friend's employment status on the internet. It is going to be on the internet a long time and a savy Human resources person will find it when & if he has to seek other job opportunities. We know the EAA will say nothing so unless Chad communicates his story all we have is speculation.

Bob Collins
03-18-2013, 07:41 AM
I believe we should give Chad's own words the creedance due rather than speculative stuff going on here. His words sugest that he believes he was wrongfully dismissed and that this event is far from being a fait a complis. In reading between the lines as well there is more here than work related.For the record, I didn't start this thread until Chad had already posted about his dismissal on the Van's Air Force board.

There are two separate issues here. One is Chad's particular circumstances. That's a private employer-issue. I have little interest in the particulars.

The second issue is the state of the EAA direction to bring the homebuilder/amateur community higher into the organizational consciousness. I care about that.

esjacoby77
03-18-2013, 08:21 AM
The second issue is the state of the EAA direction to bring the homebuilder/amateur community higher into the organizational consciousness. I care about that.

I tend not to post on threads of this nature, but I think Bob has it right. The EAA leadership often seems to forget what the "E" stands for. Chad seemed like he was working hard to turn that around. Not knowing the details about Chad's departure, I do hope EAA's management will reconsider. If EAA's emphasis starts, once again, shifting further away from experimental/amateur/homebuilt, I see no need to maintain a membership.

Floatsflyer
03-18-2013, 08:34 AM
This gets curiouser and curiouser. This is a statement from EAA as reported on Avweb:

EAA spokesman Dick Knapinski said Jensen's dismissal was a "personnel situation" that he could not discuss but he added that EAA is talking with him about another role within the organization. "We're hoping to keep him involved somehow," Knapinski said.

Can't make out what this implies, wouldn't even attempt to. But in the world of employer/employee dismissals, this kind of statement usually only occurs in the professional sports area.

Bill Greenwood
03-18-2013, 08:47 AM
I am not a homebuilder, though I was a partner in one in the past. I think homebuilding should be part of EAA, not the main part or the whole part, but perhaps 20%.

I an interested by and like many types of general aviation, as long as it is sport aviation, and by that I mean aviation for fun. I have almost no interest in reading about IFR flying in a G5 or having my ears blasted by new military jets at EAA, whose main feature is how much they cost taxpayers, and how irrelevant they are for most pilots. Some expansion or change of focus for EAA over the years is normal and welcome.

So my endorsment of Chad doesn't have anything to do with favoring one segment of EAA over another, just that he seems to be a nice guy and the kind of employee EAA needs and should want at headquarters.
And along with the airplanes, it is the people that you meet and know through EAA that make it special.

rwanttaja
03-18-2013, 08:49 AM
This gets curiouser and curiouser. This is a statement from EAA as reported on Avweb:

EAA spokesman Dick Knapinski said Jensen's dismissal was a "personnel situation" that he could not discuss but he added that EAA is talking with him about another role within the organization. "We're hoping to keep him involved somehow," Knapinski said.

Can't make out what this implies, wouldn't even attempt to. But in the world of employer/employee dismissals, this kind of statement usually only occurs in the professional sports area.

With the comment about trying to keep him in the organization, two things come to mind: Either EAA management felt he was ineffective (a ludicrous thought) or he managed to tick off someone that the EAA wishes to mollify... a board member, a co-worker, or advertiser.

Ron Wanttaja

Floatsflyer
03-18-2013, 09:38 AM
With the comment about trying to keep him in the organization, two things come to mind:.... or he managed to tick off someone in aviation that the EAA wishes to mollify.

Ron Wanttaja

If "politics" played a role here I hope EAA investigated thoroughly and gave Chad the opportunity to explain his side of any alleged contraversy. However, I'd be skeptical because when it comes down to a big bucks supporter, sponsor, advertiser, exhibitor, or participant versus loyalty and support to an employee, the latter will always end up holding the short end of the stick no matter the outcome of such an investigation. It becomes a whitewash with the parties involved that hold the power and influence just wanting the situation to go away quickly.

Victor Bravo
03-18-2013, 01:34 PM
I think homebuilding should be part of EAA, not the main part or the whole part, but perhaps 20%.

I an interested by and like many types of general aviation, as long as it is sport aviation, and by that I mean aviation for fun. I have almost no interest in reading about IFR flying in a G5

how irrelevant they are for most pilots.

Some expansion or change of focus for EAA over the years is normal and welcome.

I beg to differ with Mr. Greenwood. Homebuilding is the foundation, and heart, and lifeblood of EAA. Homebuilding should be 20% of AOPA, and 80% of EAA. The issue of "relevance to most pilots" is now even more in favor of homebuilding and classic/antique aircraft than any other segment of aviation. 30-40 years ago, the choice of buying a new Cessna/Piper/Beech, versus building an airplane of your own, had pros and cons on both sides. Today, homebuilding or a restored antique is the ONLY choice for a large majority of the potential aircraft owners. New Cessnas, even a basic 172, are essentially irrelevant to the vast majority.

The direction, both business-wise and mission-wise, that EAA has been going is just not working for a large number of longtime, loyal, dedicated members. This is "the writing on the wall" I've seen myself at Oshkosh and all the way back home in Los Angeles. While Chad's employment is technically not anyone's business on an HR level, it does serve as a perfect opportunity for the membership to initiate a discussion on EAA's changing priorities... a discussion that EAA HQ really ought to be listening to.

EAA might very well be correct in its desire to reach out to the other segments of GA, as a path to becoming the home-base organization for all of aviation. Go for it, that is actually a worthwhile goal, so long as it does not minimize, marginalize or dilute its focus on the core membership that built the organization. That's what the "Rank and file" is upset about... being downgraded to "just another" part of EAA, with no seniority or priority. Making EAA the home of Beech Baron and TBM owners as well as Volksplane owners is fine and dandy. However, bringing in Mac McClellan, to make Sport Aviation as irrelevant as Flying had become, is not the answer. NO offense to Mac.

My idea on that (magazine) subject is that maybe EAA needs to print another magazine called General Aviation, or Professional Aviation, or Turbine Aviation... which Mac should rightly be in charge of. But having major feature articles on the TBM and SR-22 and this year's King Air invade and encroach on the core topics that made Sport aviation relevant to the average EAA member caused me to cringe. Let Sport Aviation remain the leading magazine for non-professional sport pilots and their airplanes,a nd then make a separate magazine for the pilots and owners of high-dollar and corporate aircraft that EAA is trying to "reach out" and broaden its appeal to.

So in my opinion, the "Expansion and Change" Bill mentions may well be worthwhile, or necessary for survival, but EAA has addressed this in a way that has alienated many of the most loyal and lifelong members who built this organization. My strongest point is that the expansion and change could have, should have, been handled in a manner that did not disenfranchise such a large number of members.

A prime example of this problem would be if Ron's guess is correct... that Chad managed to pi** offan advertiser or some other bigwig. Although I have not met or worked with him, apparently the value that Chad has brought, and how much his efforts meant to a lot of members, should possibly count for more than keeping any one advertiser "mollified".

Bill Greenwood
03-18-2013, 01:55 PM
Victor, you have apparently misread and misunderstood part of what I wrote, and by only quoting part of one of my sentences it has the effect of misquoting me.
So let's try again.

I did not write that homebuilding was irrelevant to most people, that phrase went with the sentence about modern military jets.

And if you don't think 20 % is enough part of EAA for homebuilding that is your opinon. But I sure don't think it should be 80% or even the majority, any more than I think U L or Acro should be 80%.
And the way to find more about this is for EAA to do a real survey of all members, maybe even all vistors to Airventure to see what they prefer. It doesn't have to be lenghty, but it does need to cover all of us, not some narrowly selected minority.

And you missed the real essence of what I was trying to covey, which was that my support of Chad was becasue I thought he was a good representative for EAA, not because he was pushing for my pet segment of EAA over some other or all other segments.

As for as Turbine Aviation, well as an AOPA member I can and do opt out of that segment of their magazine, and I agree that if they or EAA made an entirely separte magazine for this ,then Mac would be a good choice for editor.

Personally a writer I like is Mark Phelps, who I have flown with, and who was a pretty cool pilot one day when we had an emergency.

Victor Bravo
03-18-2013, 02:34 PM
Sorry to offend or mis-quote... not my intent. Please accept my apology as appropriate.

But I do absolutely stand by the idea that if you have a Country Club, it should be 80% about golf. All the other stuff, the charity ball, the wine tastings, the business luncheons, they all have a place but not at the expense of pushing the golfers out of the way.

I believe EAA should reach out to the pilots and owners of high-dollar and larger aircraft. There should be, and is, a warbirds division, and an acro division, and an antique division, and an ultralight division. But those are branches, and I agree there should be a new branch of EAA for Aerostar/Citation/King Air owners. But changing the entire root and trunk of the tree, to the point where half of the leaves are unhappy, is not a good growth/survival strategy.

Continuing that discussion, admittedly, would be too much thread creep, so perhaps we should address "what's wrong with EAA" in another thread.

Chad, if you are listening, best of luck, and THANK YOU for what everyone seems to agree has been a very professional and high quality effort on your part. I hope you can un-do what happened, and/or remain involved.

rwanttaja
03-18-2013, 07:31 PM
With the comment about trying to keep him in the organization, two things come to mind: Either EAA management felt he was ineffective (a ludicrous thought) or he managed to tick off someone that the EAA wishes to mollify... a board member, a co-worker, or advertiser.
Well, I guess there's a mid-ground. I got an email from someone (who I don't know) giving an explanation. It has the ring of truth, it fits all the evidence...

...and it is a private matter, like Dick said.

I'll say this about it: The dismissal had nothing to do with how Chad did his job, it does not (in my opinion) reflect badly on Chad himself, but, if the story I was told is true, I do not fault EAA for the action. They had a policy, and they basically had to enforce it.

Ron Wanttaja

Turbomallard
03-18-2013, 07:47 PM
Well, I guess there's a mid-ground. I got an email from someone (who I don't know) giving an explanation. It has the ring of truth, it fits all the evidence...

I'll say this about it: The dismissal had nothing to do with how Chad did his job, it does not (in my opinion) reflect badly on Chad himself, but, if the story I was told is true, I do not fault EAA for the action. They had a policy, and they basically had to enforce it.

Ron Wanttaja

Excellent way of putting it. This has nothing at all to do with EAA's stance re hombuilts or anything else that has occurred since last year. It's a difficult situation for both EAA and Chad. If everyone here cares about Chad the best thing to do is to support him personally and let the private matter resolve itself.

Jim

P.S. In case anyone is wondering, no, I've never contacted Ron or met him.

Mike Switzer
03-18-2013, 08:25 PM
If an employee was good enough to be hired, and he was doing his job properly, there are very few legal reasons to terminate in this day & age (policy or not).

Floatsflyer
03-18-2013, 08:45 PM

Ron Wanttaja

Ah c'mon man, you can't poke all of us with, "I know something you don't know" and expect us just to accept. You must PM each of us and tell us the big dark secret.;)

Floatsflyer
03-18-2013, 08:59 PM
If an employee was good enough to be hired, and he was doing his job properly, there are very few legal reasons to terminate in this day & age (policy or not).

I can only think of one based on an archaic corporate policy that is likely out of step in todays corporate world. It is a very rare occassion indeed to terminate an employee for cause because of the legal ramifications and the employer is not willing to become involved in court proceedings. That's why a company will just let someone go without cause and provide a favourable exit package.

I don't think it's much of a stretch for you to imagine what this archaic policy could be. It's meant to prevent a situation that is so common in every single office on the planet.

rwanttaja
03-18-2013, 10:20 PM
Companies establish rules, and if you violate them, you can be terminated....as long as the rules don't violate legal protections. The company I work for has an extensive code of conduct, and we have to sign off on it on an annual basis. For instance, guns on company property are forbidden (except for company security officers and police). if an employee brings a gun to work (this is NOT related to Chad), the company will fire her, whether she holds a concealed weapons permit or not.

Ron Wanttaja

martymayes
03-19-2013, 06:58 AM
I agree Ron, I have worked where they have zero tolerance policies. However, if someone was terminated for violating a company policy, never has the company offered to retain them in another capacity. That's just silly and defeats the purpose of terminating them in the first place.

Bob Collins
03-19-2013, 11:31 AM
I don't mean to imply that Chad was the homebuilder representative and only the homebuilder representative. I think his gig may have started out that way but then his role expanded to "communities," and I thought that was an interesting term, because it implied to me -- and I think his performance confirmed this -- that there was a desire to integrate the needs and desires of PEOPLE -- as a community -- into the EAA structure which some felt had strayed from its relationship with members of varying interests.

I don't want to get into that whole discussion because it's been hashed to death previously. But I think my point is that Chad -- Chad's position -- was good for EAA, it was good for us as individuals and members. His position -- if not the sound of his voice -- represented us and, I think well.

If Chad stays with EAA, I think that's great. I consider him a friend. But I haven't heard anything yet about the position and while there are the usual communiques about how much the EAA values homebuilders and blah blah blah, I moved way past those statement to evaluating actions instead a long time ago. So really if Chad isn't going to have this job, the next thing I want to hear is that someone REALLY REALLY good (and not just the next person in line) is going to have it, that the job will still have a seat at the "adult table." Those questions should be -- and certainly CAN be -- answered right now, without violating anyone's privacy. So hopefully the next post in this thread is a one-word message: "yes."

By the way, Chad was one of my guests when I did the EAA Radio talk show at last year's AirVenture (a host choice the EAA bosses weren't happy with). You can find out more about what his job was and his goals here (http://rvnewsletter.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-eaa-radio-archives.html).

Frank Giger
03-19-2013, 12:24 PM
We'll really miss him in his role at EAA.

[Lightening the mood]

In retrospect, while the money was really good it was ultimately a bad idea to take that night job as a male stripper.

[/Lightening the mood]

Chad Jensen
03-19-2013, 03:22 PM
Hi everybody: I wanted to let you know that I will be remaining at EAA in the role of Homebuilt Technical Specialist through our Member Services team. This will allow me to continue my work with builders inside this great organization. I have to thank EAA management for working hard to find a solution.

I appreciate the support that many of you have given me. I admit that this situation emerged because of mistakes I made in my previous position at EAA. For that, I apologize and accept full responsibility. You can be assured that I will work doubly hard to regain everyone’s trust and confidence.

See you all soon!

:cool:

Floatsflyer
03-19-2013, 03:44 PM
Hey Chad, thanks for providing your own post on your status--you're a "mench"(that's yiddish for a good person/gentleman). Let me be the first here to say welcome back(it seem's like only yesterday) and congratulations on your new role. Cue "Welcome Back Kotter" theme song here.

There are a whole lotta people in this organization that are real glad you're still with EAA but you sure as hell created more mystery than a Columbo rerun!

I and many thousands of others have no idea what mistakes you made so no need to apologize. But if you're lookin' for a "that's OK Chad, I forgive you, no problem", just PM me and tell me what all the fuss was about, an enquiring mind would love to know! Hey, I'm as curious as the next guy and all this speculation has just tired me out.

Seriously, all the best to you(and keep your head down and your nose clean).

Is there anything you can tell us about your replacement and/or will your former title/duties remain within the org and at the head table? Or is this for someone else to expound on?

Ciao

Mike Switzer
03-19-2013, 03:46 PM
Glad to see you were able to work out a solution.

gbrasch
03-19-2013, 04:01 PM
Chad, thanks for taking the time to tell us you will be back. Glenn

rwanttaja
03-19-2013, 09:32 PM
Hi everybody: I wanted to let you know that I will be remaining at EAA in the role of Homebuilt Technical Specialist through our Member Services team. This will allow me to continue my work with builders inside this great organization. I have to thank EAA management for working hard to find a solution.

Good news, indeed. Congratulations!

Now, if they just hire a replacement Homebuilt Community Manager that's half as good as Chad was, we'll have 1.5 Chads working for us! Today a corner of the second floor, tomorrow the whole organization!

Ron Wanttaja

Hiperbiper
03-19-2013, 10:30 PM

[Lightening the mood]

In retrospect, while the money was really good it was ultimately a bad idea to take that night job as a male stripper.

[/Lightening the mood]

Nah; Chad wasn't REALLY doing the Male Stripper thing...he just used that story after getting caught in his skivveys trying to fit in the Onex!

Chris

Anymouse
03-20-2013, 12:35 AM

[Lightening the mood]

[/Lightening the mood]

The way I heard it is that he was hitting on Jack Pelton's daughter at Oshkosh. Or was it the high speed pass over Penny Benjamin??

Good to hear you're sticking around Chad!!

Hangar10
03-20-2013, 09:33 AM
Glad to hear that you are sticking around Chad!

Bob Collins
03-21-2013, 11:11 AM
OK, so the "yes" or "no" answer requested earlier w.r.t. whether Chad's old position would be filled went unanswered. But today it's been posted. (http://www.eaa.org/careers/homebuilt.asp) Anybody want it?

Floatsflyer
03-21-2013, 11:25 AM
But today it's been posted. (http://www.eaa.org/careers/homebuilt.asp) Anybody want it?

No thanks! I'm curious though. At the top of position description is Status: Full time; Exempt. What does Exempt mean?

Zack Baughman
03-21-2013, 11:28 AM
You must be in a professional or managerial role.
You must be paid a minimum salary.
You don't get paid overtime. Conversely, you are given more freedom to manage your time--you don't have to "clock out" to go see the doctor, for instance. Keeping a timecard is often not necessary, except to report vacations, sick time, etc.
In some states (California, for instance), you cannot be placed on furlough (i.e. you must be paid your regular salary over shutdowns, whereas hourly employees can be required to use vacation or not be paid for the shutdown period).
The term "exempt" is derived from the rules declaring that the employer is exempted from overtime reporting for these employees. The overtime reporting requirement is enforced for all but those declared exempt by virtue of salary range, type of work, position, etc.

Floatsflyer
03-21-2013, 11:42 AM
Thanks Zack.

Mike Switzer
03-21-2013, 03:26 PM
You must be in a professional or managerial role.

A lot of large companies stretch this to the limits to avoid paying overtime

Jim Maher
03-27-2013, 12:19 PM
It may take a while to fill Chad's vacant position.
Does anyone know if EAA has appointed someone to act as a temporary Homebuilt Community Manager until the role is filled?
After all there is still a "Community" out here that will rely on having a contact to answer questions especially with Airventure fast approaching.
I would personally appreciate having someone at EAA with authority to make decisions about Homebuilt volunteer activities, since I volunteer during Airventure and would like to start making plans for this year's show.