PDA

View Full Version : AirVenture Changes

CarlOrton
02-27-2013, 12:45 PM
Wow.

just got the volunteer newsletter. Sounds like GREAT changes for 2013.

Water $2 throughout the show
Zaugs replaced w new vendor
New indoor toilets on hangar B
Chapter building moved to more central loc
Plus other changes we've known about with the sound system and chalets

Good job, EAA!

PaulDow
02-27-2013, 01:52 PM
Plus Flightline tents split into two smaller locations, and working to eliminate the portable speakers. It looks like virtually all the site related complaints written about here are being addressed. It's good to see the chapters getting a more prominent location. They were quite far from the main activity.

http://www.eaa.org/volunteerinfo/news/2013-02_a-quick-guide-to-airventure-2013-changes.asp

FlyingRon
02-27-2013, 02:49 PM
Great. The "tent just south of the comm center" isn't a spot occupied by some existing building. It is the darned Luggage CHALET they stuck in the middle of the Antique taxiway last year. Those griping about the North 40 parking can take smuggness in the Chalets have now permanently dis[placed a good hunk of prime Vintage real estate.

Roger Janssens
02-27-2013, 06:34 PM
Ron, are you sure that the 'new' flightline 'tent just south of the comm center' will take away space that has recently been available? I seem to remember some kind of structure being in that location for many years now. Even in 2003 I remember there being some kind of enclosed/fenced facility for VIP's (?) in that neighbourhood. I remember thinking at that time too that they weren't necessarily getting better photos than I was, so I didn't mind not being a VIP :-)

I'm rather surprised at the enthusiasm (in the comments to the newsletter) with which Zaug's replacement is greeted. Having breakfast or lunch at the Hangar Café or any of their other outlets had become a tradition for me, and there was enough variety if you didn't always go to the same place. I never ran into any problems with their staff either; on the contrary. But I'll admit I never had cause to buy any water from them or from any other outlet on-site: I always buy 8 1-gallon water bottles before setting up camp and put a new one in my backpack every morning.

FlyingRon
02-27-2013, 08:59 PM
Nope, we had airplanes parked there until LAST YEAR when they plopped the "trimotor inspired" luggage chalet in that space. Prior to that everything from the COMM CENTER south on the east side of the road was what we refer to as "Don's Choice" which is a group of past grand champions, special exhibits, or just real pretty/interesting things that show up that deserve to be on display close to show center.

CarlOrton
02-27-2013, 09:42 PM
Not backpedalling, but my original enthusiasm was intended to be more along the lines of "Thanks for listening to the member's feedback."

Water was never an issue for me. Like Roger, we always bought a case of water for the week, froze them (dorm refrigerator), and they stayed cool all day (well, most of the day). The water issue, however, was the subject of a very long and drawn out thread on this forum last year. EAA listened.

Zaug's was not that much of an issue; in years past, I lived on a brat or hot dog, chips, and drink (the Member's Special!) every day; it got old. The past few years, we bought a loaf of bread and mixed it up with PB&J's or pre-packeted tuna salad / chicken salad, or put some lunch meat in with an ice pack. But a lot of other members griped about the food selections. Again, EAA listened. We may hate the results of the new concessionaires, but at least they listened and made an attempt to change.

Unfortunately, one of the things I'll miss most are those almost foot-tall ice cream cones down by Homebuilder's HQ.

Tom Steber
02-28-2013, 09:28 AM
First things I thought of was "Oh no! What about the Donuts!" I wasn't even thinking about the ice cream cones! Those are two traditions I'd rather not do without.

CarlOrton
02-28-2013, 09:49 AM
Funny you mention that, Tom; y'know, I've *never* had an EAA donut. When I hit the grounds in the AM, I'm usually "on a mission" and every time I'd pass the donut stand, the line would be out the wazzoo and I just blew it off.

Now I guess it's too late. *sigh*

rawheels
02-28-2013, 01:43 PM
Here is where the VIP tent was in 2011, and supposedly where it will return this year. http://goo.gl/maps/OtqjX (If you don't see a tent, turn off the 45 deg angle view in the top right corner).

Is that where the luggage display was last year? I remember seeing it, but don't remember how far north/south it was.

------------------------

Agree with CarlOrton, the changes may turn out to be huge flops, but it is nice to see that the EAA is listening to some of the most vocal complaints from recent years.

Lindberg
03-23-2013, 10:21 AM
"EAA and Zaug's have ended their longtime concession relationship. New local and national concessionaires are being signed that will provide wider menu options. In additional good news, water prices will be reduced and standardized throughout the grounds at $2 a bottle."

I think this is good. I hope McDonald's is back. I don't usually eat that kind of food, but at AirVenture the price was right and the lines moved quicker. During AirVenture I put my normal good dietary habits in the baggage compartment, except at night I do look for a healthy meal at a nearby local restaurant.

I still think there should be more water fountains available. I don't mind paying for beer, but I hate paying even $2.00 for a bottle of water. (I don't care about the ice cream cone prices. I love them) At least one can still refill their bottle when they do find a fountain. At that price it would be about $16.00 per gallon and that would be close to 2.5 gallons of 100 LL . A family of 4 could easily spend more than $20.00 per day on water, especially if it's hot.

CarlOrton
03-23-2013, 11:56 AM
THEY USED TO HAVE McDONALDS?!? I've only been attending since '05, so have only known Zaug's.

RV8505
03-23-2013, 12:45 PM
Getting rid of Mcdonalds is positive move! Mcdonalds is nasty!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T67DvoH2H3E (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T67DvoH2H3E)

Floatsflyer
03-23-2013, 08:57 PM
I'll admit to giving in to a guilty pleasure and having a Big Mac once a year(maybe) but please NO Macdonalds anywhere on site. That stuff is NOT within the category of food!

Lindberg
03-24-2013, 08:49 AM
Getting rid of Mcdonalds is positive move! Mcdonalds is nasty!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T67DvoH2H3E (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T67DvoH2H3E)

Nobody was force fed a McDonald hamburger at AirVenture that I know of and it was not the only choice. Seems like I also recall a lot of EAA'ers eating off-airport at some of the local McDonalds. Whatever. Bon Appetit .......

Lindberg
03-24-2013, 08:49 AM
THEY USED TO HAVE McDONALDS?!? I've only been attending since '05, so have only known Zaug's.

Yep.

Mayhemxpc
03-24-2013, 10:20 AM
All things being equal (and they never are) I would probably choose not to eat at McD's at AirVenture and go for something with a more home made or local flair (think the Sacred Heart Parish stand outside of the main gate.)

But, if it were a case of paying as much for a single hot dog through Zaug's as you can for an entire meal at McD, well my bank account (and my wife, the household accountant) will probably opt for the latter.

RV8505
03-24-2013, 10:42 AM
Nobody was force fed a McDonald hamburger at AirVenture that I know of and it was not the only choice. Seems like I also recall a lot of EAA'ers eating off-airport at some of the local McDonalds. Whatever. Bon Appetit .......

I wouldn't kiss a pig either but people do. I found this below funny.

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Business/pages-3/McDonalds-considers-adding-Soylent-Green-to-menu-Scrape-TV-The-World-on-your-side.html

Chuck Arnold
03-24-2013, 06:03 PM
I for one will not miss Zaug's. I always thought I'd have a stroke after a few days eating all that fried food. I remember complaining to one fellow California pilot about Zaug's, and he said "they would fry a salad if they could."

Kyle Boatright
03-24-2013, 06:39 PM
I for one will not miss Zaug's. I always thought I'd have a stroke after a few days eating all that fried food. I remember complaining to one fellow California pilot about Zaug's, and he said "they would fry a salad if they could."

Zaugs (and any other service) is likely constrained by speed of service needs. Serving 75,000 people lunch in a two hour window generally means they are batch cooking food, keeping it warm, and selling the same basic 2-3 meals to everyone who walks up. Unless you're willing to pay twice the price and/or wait forever, fresh food and food customization (ala Subway) are probably not gonna happen at an event like Airventure.

I buy a jar of peanut butter and a loaf of bread and eat lunch all week for ~$10 without eating fried food or standing in line. That way, I don't feel as much guilt when I have Brats and beer for dinner at SOS Brothers every night.

Zack Baughman
03-24-2013, 06:57 PM
fresh food and food customization (ala Subway) are probably not gonna happen at an event like Airventure.

I think you will be in for a very pleasant surprise.

58boner
03-24-2013, 07:31 PM
So you're just going to drop that little nugget without further comment?
Hey, Nobody goes there for the food anyway.

Kyle Boatright
03-24-2013, 07:55 PM

You left out the caveat. But I hope you're right.

;-)

RV8505
03-24-2013, 08:24 PM

Put a bug in someone's ear that they stay open during the night airshow!

Victor Bravo
03-25-2013, 10:43 AM
Zaugs replaced w new vendor

Good job, EAA!

Halle-friggin-Lujah!

I once sent some strongly worded feedback to EAA HQ. One of the points made was ..."how you managed to find an awful, cheap, poor quality Bratwurst... in Wisconsin for God's sake, and managed to charge $75.00 for it, was a huge turn-off for me." Nobody likes to be ripped off, especially by their own "family" at EAA.

The fact that one enormous food vendor had the entire contract, leaving visitors with little variety and zero choice of which company to spend their money with, spoke volumes to me. There should be dozens, if not hundreds, of food vendors competing with each other, to guarantee the best quality and price.

Lindberg
03-25-2013, 02:51 PM

Subway would be great. Whenever I'm traveling on terra firma and need a quick lunch, I find a Subway because it is a fairly healthy choice when it come to fast foods. If we do indeed have a Subway at AirVenture this year, expect long lines. I'll eat fast glop and move on. There's always La Sure's and the Roxy for fine fare and healthy choices.

Bill Greenwood
03-25-2013, 03:52 PM
I will say one thing about Zaugs, in my 30 years of visiting Oshkosh I have always, without a single exception, had friendly and polite service from the young workers at their cafes.
That says some good things about the folks of the Oshkosh area.
I don't know if the workers are mostly glad to have summer job, or to enjoy the convention or hopefully a combination of both,but they do it well.

It would be nice if the food was better, particularly more variety and a few upscale choices. But a number of people spent a lot of time on this forum last year complaining about how outrageous the price of a $3 bottle of water was. So whatever the concessionaire does, it is going to have price constraints, and it is not easy cooking and serving for masses of thousands of people.

One thing I'd really like is if someone broke the Pepsi stranglehold on EAA. It seems as if there must be a state law against having a Coke or better yet a Dr.Pepper, and Sprite.

FlyingRon
03-25-2013, 05:17 PM
Believe me, I've seen Subway franchises operating at events like Airventure and be guaranteed they aren't going to be making it up like they do in the restaurants. You'll find stacks of preassembled box lunches with subs in them.

psvinny
03-27-2013, 11:30 AM
I have to throw my vote in for Cousin's Subs. They are a great growing Wisconsin based company. They serve very good food. They are also the kind of company that returns a lot to the communities they are in.

Cary
03-29-2013, 02:17 PM
I second the comment about the friendliness of the kids manning the Zaug's areas, though. Whatever negativity you might have thought about the food, the prices, or the variety, the friendly kids behind the counters or at the cash registers almost (maybe not quite) made up for it, with their invariably upbeat, "welcome to Oshkosh" way, even at 6:30 a.m.!

Cary

Lindberg
03-31-2013, 09:26 AM
I would think that whoever the vendors are, they will still hire Oskhosh area kids at AirVenture. It would be very expensive to transport and house non-locals. I am a big believer in supporting the local business's in Oshkosh. Oshkosh residents have to put up with a lot of inconvenience during AirVenture and it should be worth it to them. There are some businesses that would fold if it were not for the extra income they make during AirVenture.

Whoever the new vendors are, I hope this is not another effort to squeeze a little more money out of those who have already spent a lot just to be there. Nothing beats competition. If it is again only one, I doubt anything will be gained.

Kevin O'Halloran
03-31-2013, 01:57 PM
I don't understand all this talk about the cost of water at airventure?????
I've been coming to Oshkosh for the last 18 years--and I've figured out where most of the free water is located ( never more than 5 minutes away no mater where you are located)--take a empty bottle and fill it at one of these locations.
Don't be a helpless democrat and expect everything to be done for you--PLAN AHEAD--or don't bitch about about the cost of someone hand feeding you !!
I'm planning on going up to Oshkosh in May to take part on the first work weekend--will try and make a list of all the free places to get water and post it
Kevin

izznsky
03-31-2013, 07:41 PM
This is not a change, but I get my cold water at the vintage barn for $1. What a bargain.

Kyle Boatright
03-31-2013, 08:02 PM
This is not a change, but I get my cold water at the vintage barn for $1. What a bargain.

The U/L HQ has Gatorade, Water, Pepsi, Coffee, etc. at bargain basement prices. Doughnuts too. ;-)

provoshane
03-31-2013, 09:41 PM
Excuse me? Did you just try to politicize this post, Kevin? I would think that EAA and Airventure would be one place where we could keep our comments to our love of flying and aviation without taking political potshots at those with whom we disagree.

Bill
03-31-2013, 10:22 PM
Don't be a helpless democrat and expect everything to be done for you

I've been coming to Oshkosh for over 30 years and have always been able to find the free water. I never realized that you had to have a politically-charged dowsing rod to find water until your post. I will alter my technology for my next trip to AirVenture.

Victor Bravo
03-31-2013, 11:00 PM
Price gouging/concession monopoly... thus making the Oshkosh experience a little bit less enjoyable, and walking away feeling like you were the guest of honor at an armed robbery, is not a political issue.

But to address someone's parry with an appropriate riposte ("parry and re-post" in today's internet age), I'm pretty sure the people who made the decision to allow over-charging for food/water, and who put the concession monopoly in place, were not liberal helpless Democrats from Berkeley driving a flower-child-painted, "Question Authority"-stickered '67 VW bus.

Cary
04-01-2013, 07:42 AM
At the risk of sounding like I just don't care about apathy, isn't this all much ado about nothing--or at least, about not much?

First, about vendor food prices--sure, it'll run you about $2 more than you'd pay for the same food at your local deli, but is that a big deal? Hasn't anyone here ever been to a pro football, basketball, hockey, or baseball game? All of a sudden, Airventure vendor food sounds like such a deal!

And if you are among the suckers who think water only comes in ice cold tiny little bottles at $2 or $3 a pop, then you really deserve to have your wallets raided by the vendors of such nonsense. While it may be quite a savings to buy such stuff at your friendly local grocery store, what's wrong with an even greater savings with plain old tap water? "But it's not chilled", you say. Aw, c'mon, carry it around for 10 minutes on the average OSH 95 degree afternoon, and guess what, your $3 bottle of gen-yoo-wine artesian well water from Exotic Wherever will be bath-warm anyway.

In the many years I've come to Airventure, I have found so little to complain about that all these rants seem so silly. If in fact lunch cost $2 more than it would have at some cafe back home, that's enough to buy 2 1/2 gallons of LL if you stay the whole week. Buy breakfast, and now you've spent enough more to buy 5 gallons of LL, total. If your budget is so tight that that will make the difference in whether you come or stay home, probably you should stay home, dontcha know? :)

Cary

Bill Greenwood
04-01-2013, 08:40 AM
Cary, re complaining about water prices, etc.
Don't you know that re EAA and Oshkosh, there are two seasons.

It is kind of like they used to say about seasons in Texas, before all the Yankees moved in, and people who think kicking a soccer ball is a sport.
There are two seasons in Texas, football season and spring football season.

So, for EAA there are two seasons, there is late July/early August when we go to and enjoy Oshkosh, and the rest of the year when we complain about how it is not perfect there.

Floatsflyer
04-01-2013, 09:29 AM
Excuse me? Did you just try to politicize this post, Kevin? I would think that EAA and Airventure would be one place where we could keep our comments to our love of flying and aviation without taking political potshots at those with whom we disagree.

Ahhhhh....from the mouths of babes. Your sentiment is to be applauded but you've only been here for a very short time. Stick around, the reality may astound you.

Floatsflyer
04-01-2013, 09:34 AM
I'm pretty sure the people who made the decision to allow over-charging for food/water, and who put the concession monopoly in place, were not liberal helpless Democrats from Berkeley driving a flower-child-painted, "Question Authority"-stickered '67 VW bus.

Right on Brother!! Peace:D

Kevin O'Halloran
04-01-2013, 11:50 AM
Excuse me? Did you just try to politicize this post, Kevin?

I apologize for my political comment, I use to just dislike democrats--now I hate them all.
But if you think the goverment does not have a bullseye on General Aviation--its only a number of years untill the guys flying 172s and homebuilts will be lumped together with those "fat cats" flying their personal jets
Kevin

Victor Bravo
04-01-2013, 12:52 PM
I'm afraid that both overly conservative governments, and overly liberal governments, have a history of suppressing personal freedoms like flying (and lots else). An Ayatollah, or Generallissimo Whoever, would not be any more willing to let me drive my 172 around freely than a bright red "People's Republic" or "Democratic Republic".

The part of the world where private flying is growing fastest is in Communist China. The part of the world where private flying is losing ground the fastest is (I'm ashamed to say) America.

You can't pin this tail on the Donkey, or the Elephant.

But if you want to save aviation by blaming a certain "type" of person, go and euthanize all the real estate developers, followed in close second place by the lawyers.

Hal Bryan
04-01-2013, 01:15 PM
So... how about that $2.00 water?

In other words, now that the political comments have balanced each other out, let's get back on topic.

Just to be clear, talking about Government and GA concerns are fine - necessary, in fact - but that has nothing to do with site changes and new food vendors and all that.

RV8505
04-01-2013, 02:08 PM
I'm afraid that both overly conservative governments, and overly liberal governments, have a history of suppressing personal freedoms like flying (and lots else). An Ayatollah, or Generallissimo Whoever, would not be any more willing to let me drive my 172 around freely than a bright red "People's Republic" or "Democratic Republic".

The part of the world where private flying is growing fastest is in Communist China. The part of the world where private flying is losing ground the fastest is (I'm ashamed to say) America.

You can't pin this tail on the Donkey, or the Elephant.

But if you want to save aviation by blaming a certain "type" of person, go and euthanize all the real estate developers, followed in close second place by the lawyers.

Forget all stupid political stuff! Let's help ourselves and get some more pilots out there! Didn't you say something a while back about gliders for young eagles? I have the same idea but i know very little about gliders. Maybe we can get a glider camp going? I'm down here in San Dog ( KCRQ) . Send me a PM

Floatsflyer
04-01-2013, 04:18 PM
I apologize for my political comment, I use to just dislike democrats--now I hate them all.

Kevin

That's OK Kevin, we're not too enamoured with you as well. But I am looking forward to seeing your study on where to get free water. I make sure to fill up at cold water fountains at most exhibitor tents. The Cessna Pilots Association(we belong) tent is great for free ice tea, lemonade as well as water.

falcon21
04-01-2013, 06:06 PM
I know the portable water tanks are painted army green but they can't be that hard to find!

Bill Berson
04-01-2013, 08:40 PM
There is plenty of tepid water available at the fountains. I have suggested that this free tepid water would be more palatable and could help with the oppressive heat if ice was available to fill a small bottle or thermos to sip all day.
Chilled bottled water quickly warms, so bottled water is hardly ideal for someone living full time for a week in the heat. Is this a vacation or an ordeal?
I doubt ice will be available (in small amounts)so my plan is to carry a thermos of ice ( probably from Walmart) to mix with the free fountain water, and hope the ice lasts all day.

I found a chart here:http://www.cism-milsport.org/eng/004_SPORT_AND_SCIENCE/articles-and-pdfs/004-hydration.pdf
that shows 6 to 12 liters of water per day is needed, depending on temperature.

FlyingRon
04-02-2013, 06:49 AM
Actually some of the water buffalos in the past few years have been painted white.

My favorite was still the HondaJet booth that had the big tank full of ice cold water bottles.

We truck in water however. The well water on the field makes crap coffee.

Lindberg
04-02-2013, 09:08 AM
There is plenty of tepid water available at the fountains......................................... .......

I found a chart here:http://www.cism-milsport.org/eng/004_SPORT_AND_SCIENCE/articles-and-pdfs/004-hydration.pdf
that shows 6 to 12 liters of water per day is needed, depending on temperature.

Yes, there is plenty of water at the fountains. My only request is that there be a few more so that you don't have to walk so far to get it. There should be several in the area of Aeroshell Square and near the big hangars A,B,C and D. Carrying water around with all the other things that are purchased is inconvenient and I hate to backtrack to get water. When it's hot you should drink plenty of water. It becomes a health issue rather than a treat. Two or three more water fountains will not break the EAA budget. Maybe even a few water buffaloes in that area if the installation of water fountains is beyond the AirVenture budget.

As far as being able to afford to purchase water. My bet is that most of us could by water all day long and not even notice it in our budget, but that is not the point. The attitude that "they can afford it because they have the money and can afford to pay their "fair share" has a smell to it that is blown straight from Washington DC.

Who was the "rocket scientist" who came up with the idea of prohibiting vendors from giving away free water?

Victor Bravo
04-02-2013, 11:21 AM
Who was the "rocket scientist" who came up with the idea of prohibiting vendors from giving away free water?

Let's say you're a food vendor who has been selling a bottle of water costing you 15-20 cents, for $3.50. 200 bottles a day means you made over $600 in profit. Another vendor, who is selling $25,000 airplane kits, wants to give away cold water as a nice gesture to potential customers. Being a rocket scientist, it takes you only a second to realize that your $600 in profit for that day just became zero. So you run screaming bloody murder across the flight line to the EAA Convention office, and demand that they prohibit anyone other than you from providing water.

Per another poster's comments, yes I can afford to buy $3.50 water. I can even afford a bad quality hot dog or bratwurst for $67.50 once or twice if I had to. The point is that it makes me angry, resentful, unhappy, and prevents me from spending money where I want to spend it at Oshkosh. It makes me feel disrespected by EAA, and gives me a bad experience as a member/visitor/customer. That affects the value of EAA's "brand" and "brand loyalty".

What if you don't buy a set of plans at the Fly Market, or an aviation product (from the aviation vendors like myself) on Saturday, because you realized you spent too much on the concessions earlier in the week? How does that make an aircraft product manufacturer feel, who came all the way from California, Texas, or Maine, knowing that they didn't make their show costs partly because of that effect?

Just because a baseball game food vendor robs and rapes me doesn't mean I want EAA to do it. EAA has asked for (and been granted) my personal loyalty, my financial and emotional support, and EAA is integral to the part of my life I really love. So I make no excuses for holding EAA to a higher standard, or for feeling more betrayed if EAA does me wrong than I would by a baseball stadium. I walk around cursing and damning baseball stadiums because of their robber-baron mentality. I would not lift a finger to help the people running the baseball stadium. For a baseball stadium, I would not go stand in a picket line to defend them, or march on Washington alongside them like I would with EAA. I truly hope EAA does not want to be thought of the same way as I feel about stadiums, traffic coutrs, the IRS, bill collectors, etc.

Speaking of rocket scientists, who was the !(#*% brain surgeon who made it so the Pepsi vendors don't give you a lid for the cup?

Mayhemxpc
04-02-2013, 09:54 PM
"Is this a vacation or an ordeal?"

Its AirVenture, closely related to the word "adventure," which was defined by G.K. Chesterton (and the Boy Scout Field Book) as discomfort properly perceived.

scuba72
04-03-2013, 05:21 PM

I guess some vendors don't know about that rule, or violate it blatantly. I've never had a problem finding a cool drink when I needed one.

Lindberg
04-04-2013, 05:26 AM
I guess some vendors don't know about that rule, or violate it blatantly. I've never had a problem finding a cool drink when I needed one.

It's no problem if you know the secret handshake.

Lindberg
04-04-2013, 05:31 AM
"Is this a vacation or an ordeal?"

Its AirVenture, closely related to the word "adventure," which was defined by G.K. Chesterton (and the Boy Scout Field Book) as discomfort properly perceived.

Especially when you need a port-a-potty.

FlyingRon
04-04-2013, 06:04 AM
You could always volunteer. Operation Thirst (and the Vintage thirst patrol for vintage volunteers) keeps us pretty well hydrated and snacked (though it isn't the same since they stopped smooshing a jolly rancher candy into the middle of the bread on the mystery meat sandwiches).

Zack Baughman
04-04-2013, 07:25 AM
You could always volunteer.

Absolutely! For more info on volunteer opportunities during AirVenture, just click the link!

http://www.airventure.org/volunteers/

CarlOrton
04-04-2013, 08:34 AM
I was the original poster. While I applauded the $2 water, it wasn't that I can't drink anything else, but the fact that EAA LISTENED to all the gripes over the past few years about folks being raped over the higher-priced stuff. ThankYou again, EAA, just for appearing to be with us.

I volunteer. As Ron and Zach mentioned, they take REAL good care of the volunteers, at least whenever I volunteer they do. I have no problem using the buffaloes or the existing fountains, but sometimes I WANT/NEED NOW a COLD bottle of water. As Lindberg stated, if you *know* where to go (wink wink), there were still ways to find that cold one, all for the price of a small donation. I usually donated MORE, just cause I appreciated the vendor's rebelliousness (and they *were* collecting for a stated cause). Even better is that as you develop relationships, it's usually no problem to go into a vendor tent and say, "Hey, Bob....Gimmee a bottle of water, willya?"

I also stay in the dorms and freeze two bottles each night. Some days, you just go thru more water (like early in the show last year when it was 100....)

GeorgeP
04-04-2013, 09:55 PM
.....I also stay in the dorms and freeze two bottles each night. Some days, you just go thru more water (like early in the show last year when it was 100....)That's what I'm plannin' to do, too. Easy and doesn't cost a cent. BTW, just bought my weekly Airventure ticket and can't wait to board the Flying Kangaroo to the US of A!

Kevin O'Halloran
04-05-2013, 06:39 AM
George
Australians drink water????
I thought you guys went from mothers milk straight to beer !!
You are no longer my hero <g>
Kevin

GeorgeP
04-05-2013, 07:00 AM
.....I thought you guys went from mothers milk straight to beer !!
.....:D
Yes, I do sound quite un-Australian, don't I? Keep it quiet otherwise the Australian government will deport me to Christmas Island.

Lindberg
04-05-2013, 09:03 AM
You could always volunteer.

Volunteer? My God, man. Get that thought out of my head. Of course, whipping around in one of those little scooters looks kinda fun. Maybe someday working myself up to one of those VW Bugs with the roof cut off, but I'm sure they would have me cleaning out the latrines or picking us cigarette butts.

CarlOrton
04-05-2013, 10:57 AM
You pretty much get to pick where and what you want to do. Lots of fun jobs available.

Mayhemxpc
04-05-2013, 12:53 PM
This has been a great thread, talking about all kinds of on point topics. The wife (she who manages the finances...otherwise I would have actual knowledge about how much flying costs me) is reconciled to me going back to AirVenture this year. This thread has made me want to come for the whole week! (And with Government furloughs, I may not even have to worry about spending vacation days to be there!)

Now for my question. Disney/Pixar "Planes" is being released the week after AirVenture. Any chance they will provide a sneak peak at OSH? I could not possibly think of a better venue with a more supportive audience.

jaustinmd
04-05-2013, 08:14 PM
All the posts about food vendors made me hungry! I didn't make it last year, but seems in years prior to that, the availability of food outside the gates (and within walking distance of Camp Scholler) was pretty slim. Are there any plans to have some vendors for the Camp Scholler folks who are too lazy to get in their campers and cook?

Antique Tower
04-06-2013, 05:46 AM
Just volunteer.

It only feels perverted the first couple of times.

Except for the dude with the Fox Tourette's. If you hate democrats you ain't gonna have no fun at all, volunteering.....

martymayes
04-06-2013, 08:26 AM
All the posts about food vendors made me hungry! I didn't make it last year, but seems in years prior to that, the availability of food outside the gates (and within walking distance of Camp Scholler) was pretty slim. Are there any plans to have some vendors for the Camp Scholler folks who are too lazy to get in their campers and cook?

That's where you wander over to your neighbors camp, the one with the big grill. Or do what I did, crash some RV'ers builder group dinner that was held in Scholler down the row from my camp site. Eat their food, listen to the presentation, eat some more food, help 'em clean up, then back to my camp site.

jaustinmd
04-06-2013, 09:07 AM
That's where you wander over to your neighbors camp, the one with the big grill. Or do what I did, crash some RV'ers builder group dinner that was held in Scholler down the row from my camp site. Eat their food, listen to the presentation, eat some more food, help 'em clean up, then back to my camp site.
One year, we pulled in next to a huge bus - very friendly neighbor - always had a beer in his hand. He said he had been there three days. Asked him how he liked AirVenture so far, and he said "I don't know - haven't made it over there yet! Wanna beer?" LOL! So, plenty of beer, but no free eats!

There used to be the "Greek Guy" near Camp Scholler that had breakfast available in the a.m.'s and gyro's, etc., all day. Also there was a pretty big tent nearby with steak sandwiches, etc. Seems the last few times I was there none of these vendors were there anymore - sure was convenient to camping!

John
N750A

slin
04-17-2013, 09:05 AM
First things I thought of was "Oh no! What about the Donuts!" I wasn't even thinking about the ice cream cones! Those are two traditions I'd rather not do without.

In all seriousness, does anyone know whether a new vendor will continue some of these traditions? My older daughter's birthday falls during Airventure. Every year she just wants the Classic Cafe donuts for her birthday "cake" - see the picture below for a snapshot from OSH 2011, when she turned 7, along with her sister who is already eyeing the donuts:

(I know, a picture was not really necessary for this post but who doesn't like sharing pics of their kids? :))

Anyway, I told her last night that we may not be able to have the donuts for her 9th birthday this year and she - literally - burst into tears. I tried to placate her with an offer of a custom cake from La Sure's, or donuts from elsewhere (IIRC the Tall Pines cafe also serves donuts?) but she was really looking forward to our tradition.

If anyone knows whether the donuts will still be there, I would appreciate a head's up!

StuBob
06-08-2013, 03:09 PM
RE: Food. Why are there contracted vendors at all? At SNF, it looks like a state fair. "Bob's Chile" next to "Zeke's Corn Dogs." EAA should just charge for the booth and let people come in and sell food. The market will work it out. And, FWIW, I kind of like Zaug's for the same reason I like it when they have clogging teens and barbershop quartets at Theater in the Woods: It isn't good, but it's Oshkosh.

RE: Water. This is a safety issue. There should be more readily available tap water, or else bottled water should be free. There's a theme park in Santa Claus, Indiana that includes unlimited name-brand soft drinks and sunscreen with admission. EAA could so something similar by increasing admissions or parking by a negligible amount. And, since I couldn't tell you within $20 what daily admission was last year, it's safe to say that $10 a day would be negligible.

Hal Bryan
06-08-2013, 04:39 PM
RE: Food. Why are there contracted vendors at all? At SNF, it looks like a state fair. "Bob's Chile" next to "Zeke's Corn Dogs." EAA should just charge for the booth and let people come in and sell food.

This is in effect just what we've done. There will be somewhere around 20 different food vendors around the grounds. Also, you should note that Sun 'n Fun's food vendors sign contracts, just like any other vendor.

RE: Water. This is a safety issue. There should be more readily available tap water, or else bottled water should be free.

We've provided multiple drinking fountain units at multiple locations around the grounds for years. What we haven't done is a good job of helping people find them - I'm hoping we can do a better job of that this year. In addition, lots of spots around the grounds do give out free bottles of water, but the overwhelming feedback we've gotten says that people don't mind paying for a bottle of water with their lunch, they just thought 3 bucks was too much. We agreed, and this year it'll be 2 bucks.

And, since I couldn't tell you within $20 what daily admission was last year, it's safe to say that $10 a day would be negligible.

Daily admission this year (after June 15) is $28 for adult EAA members. Adding 10 bucks to that, a 36% increase, would be a little more than negligible... ;)

MEdwards
06-09-2013, 01:47 PM
This is in effect just what we've done. There will be somewhere around 20 different food vendors around the grounds.That sounds like a good approach to try. Given that, I hope EAA has also relieved the restrictions placed on the Tall Pines Cafe where they were only allowed to serve breakfast during the week, I've seen several msgs from Vintage people here in the past saying they wanted, and were able, to serve lunch and/or dinner but were prohibited from doing so because of the contract with Zaug.

Hangar10
06-17-2013, 07:16 AM
So, can we get clarification on the ice cream? Will we really be without the best soft serve ice cream in the world? My son and I really look forward to our pre-airshow cone.

CarlOrton
06-17-2013, 09:31 AM
So, can we get clarification on the ice cream? Will we really be without the best soft serve ice cream in the world? My son and I really look forward to our pre-airshow cone.
I like your priorities, Mark! Same here.

Zack Baughman
06-17-2013, 09:47 AM
Now for my question. Disney/Pixar "Planes" is being released the week after AirVenture. Any chance they will provide a sneak peak at OSH? I could not possibly think of a better venue with a more supportive audience.

I didn't see where anyone else had replied to this question. The short answer is, YES!

http://www.airventure.org/news/2013/130429_disneys-planes-set-to-take-off.html

Zack