PDA

View Full Version : Ground transportation - folding bicycle - electric scooters

danielfindling
02-08-2013, 03:29 PM
Anyone using one of the small electric/gas scooters for ground transportation? Sometimes I feel the need to explore and a courtesy car is not available. I was thinking of something with a range of around 5 miles that could fit in a small plane (e.g. my C-140A). I am aware of the folding bicycle route but I get enough exercise in the gym. . . flying is for fun, not work.

Daniel

SBaircraft
02-14-2013, 10:22 PM
Hi Daniel,

This is how I get around:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=z01s9u6OQfY

Unfortunately, the US does not have a uniform code for electric bicycles and scooters. They are illegal in many/most places and each town has different laws. Therefore, I would recommend sticking with a good old folding bicycle for your Cessna 140. They make some really nice ones, especially if you have room for full-size wheels.

rleffler
02-15-2013, 08:09 AM
Take a look at:

http://www.motorcyclepilot.com/

Obviously, you'll need to have one of the airframe's they support. They usually have their RV-10 on display at Airventure.

cluttonfred
02-15-2013, 08:23 AM
While stand-up scooter rules vary widely across the USA, moped rules are pretty consistent. As far as I know, the lightest moped you can get is the Solex, which is truly a motorized bicycle and weighs about 70 lbs. You might also want to check out some of the newer electric motorized bicycles.

SBaircraft
02-15-2013, 03:47 PM
Bob, I just visited your builder log. It looks like you are just about ready to fly! Will we see your airplane at Airventure this year?

Unfortunately, “moped” is not defined or recognized at the federal level. The moped classification is regulated at the state and local levels. Mopeds are therefore regulated a little differently across the country and some places don’t even have a moped category at all.

The regulations are a long read but I’ll try to summarize them. At the federal level, the NHTS defines all such vehicles with less than 5hp as “motor driven cycles.” Motor driven cycles can belong to the following categories:

“Motor Vehicles” - Motor driven cycles with more than 1hp or that are capable of a maximum speed above 20mph. These have a VIN number and NHTSA safety equipment. You can register them at your local DMV and receive a license plate. This is street legal at the federal level and it is the only way to get reliable access to public roads everywhere.

“Off Road Vehicles” – More than 1hp or 20mph but do not have VIN numbers or meet NHTSA requirements. Their use on public roads is regulated by each state and individual cities and local jurisdictions may have additional regulations. In general, these are fine to use on personal property and designated off road vehicle areas. A few places allow them on roads.

“Low Speed Vehicles” include motor driven cycles with less than 1hp and a maximum speed of less than 20mph. These are exempt from federal DOT and NHTSA regulations. Again, access to public roads is determined by each state, city and local jurisdiction.

As the electric bicycle market matures, I imagine that we’ll eventually see the creation of a new vehicle category at the federal level. Until then, I would stick with a folding bicycle or find something with a license plate… don’t mess with Mr. In Between.

FlyingRon
02-15-2013, 08:57 PM
I have a pair of the Diblasi 50cc folding scooters. We used them a couple of times (once in St. Simons and once at Oshkosh) but decided they were more trouble than they were worth.

rickatic
02-15-2013, 09:53 PM
I have a pair of the Diblasi 50cc folding scooters. We used them a couple of times (once in St. Simons and once at Oshkosh) but decided they were more trouble than they were worth.

...DiBlasi...and I thought I was the only one at with a DiBlasi...I actually have two but only one is reliable enough to take camping or to Oshkosh.... thanks for the reminder...misery loves company...I take one DiBlasi and a Honda CT 70 along with me when we haul the fifth wheel to Oshkosh..works so far

Regards

ssonixx
02-15-2013, 10:50 PM
How about a Segway or a Robstep? I am not affiliated with either company.

Looks like they both go 20mph, 12 miles distance on a charge.

Segway is 100lbs, $7k.
Robin is 40lbs, $3k.

http://m.youtube.com/user/RobStepUSA

iflyprops
02-16-2013, 06:00 AM
I wouldn't put anything gas powered in my airplane simply from a hazmat standpoint... Plus I don't want my interior smelling like gas/oil. Stick with a bike.

Anymouse
02-16-2013, 06:28 AM
Here's something you might want to look at. I've been tempted to get one, but I'd like to see it in person first.

http://www.scooterman.co.uk/bikes_index.html

SBaircraft
02-17-2013, 11:32 AM
I wouldn't put anything gas powered in my airplane simply from a hazmat standpoint...

A few years ago, a Cessna 182 burned up when a Weed Wacker tipped over and spilled fuel. Luckily, it happened during taxi so the pilot was able to jump out! People often forget that batteries can be just as dangerous. A small puncture and exposure to air is enough to cause many batteries to burn aggressively. People need to take reasonable precaution when hauling scooters and such. In addition to fire safety, they also need to be properly secured during a 10g emergency landing condition.

I have several layers of redundant fuel protection when I carry my motorcycle: 1) The motorcycle has been extensively modified to prevent fuel spills. 2) If fuel were to escape past multiple check valves, it would be captured by a backup catch can. 3) The entire upper surface of the motorcycle loading system forms a sealed spill pan which is covered with enough fuel absorbent material to contain 110% of the motorcycle liquids. At this point, I'm far more concerned about the fuel tank in my lap when flying older airplanes. :)

CFR 175 contains hazmat rules. Most of the regulations apply to goods in commerce and not to personal flights. However, even when they aren't legally applicable, the rules still contain excellent safety advice for anyone thinking about carrying a gas or electric vehicle.

jethikinggypsy
02-17-2013, 11:44 AM
Great post. This is the biggest problem I have had with my plane-hitchhiking project...getting to and from the airports and around town. Is there any type of folding bicycle that is very light weight? I have a backpackers bag and that's it...so I'm trying to find something really compact. I don't know if this exists..

SBaircraft
02-17-2013, 01:01 PM
Ron and Rick, were you able to register your DiBlasi scooters? The factory never gave me a clear answer.

My neighbor has a CT-70. It rides rather nicely and it is great around the airport but I'm told that it isn't fun to load/unload from an airplane. Someone sent me the following pictures. They remove the front seats to enter/exit through the main door. The wing is protected with plywood and carpet. The engine is covered with plastic. The front wheel and fender are removed and later assembled on a milk crate. The wife is bribed with an expensive spa day and talked into putting on work gloves and crawling through the baggage door.

2804 2805 2806

With enough effort, a motorcycle can be loaded into almost any kind of airplane but such a feat of strength is rarely performed. I've spent the last few years trying to make this task convenient enough for every-day use. Now a child can remove a motorcycle and prepare it for riding in two minutes... a full-size motorcycle with highway performance for two adults. It is my goal to provide adventurous pilots with more places to go and unlimited things to do; to make concerts, conventions and beaches just accessible as fly-in restaurants; to make door-to-door travel seamless and to eliminate reservations, paperwork and third-party hassles. From my own experience, I can tell you that the integration of air + ground transportation can fundamentally change the way you use your airplane. If you would like to learn more about my vision and work, there is an excellent article in this month's Piper Owner Magazine: http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/b805b2fd#/b805b2fd/38

Louis
02-17-2013, 05:28 PM
Great post. This is the biggest problem I have had with my plane-hitchhiking project...getting to and from the airports and around town. Is there any type of folding bicycle that is very light weight? I have a backpackers bag and that's it...so I'm trying to find something really compact. I don't know if this exists..
It looks like both Amazon and REI have folding bikes available. I'm not sure about the size and weight on those. It seems like I saw a conversion kit somewhere to convert a conventional bike to a folding bike.

If you make it up here to Fairbanks, there's some bikes parked at the fly-in campground at the airport which are available to borrow....Louis

danielfindling
02-17-2013, 08:45 PM
Here is an electric scooter that might fit the bill, albeit short range (under 15 miles)

http://www.amazon.com/Currie-Technologies-Electric-Scooter-Black/dp/B004KK3FJO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1361155294&sr=8-3&keywords=Ezip+Electric+scooter

And a folding electric bike. (When the batteries empty)

http://www.amazon.com/Cyclamatic-Bicycle-Electric-Foldaway-Lithium-Ion/dp/B006FYSO62/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1361155398&sr=1-2&keywords=folding+electric+bibikes gone

anyone have any experience with either?

rickatic
02-17-2013, 11:05 PM
Ron and Rick, were you able to register your DiBlasi scooters? The factory never gave me a clear answer.

My neighbor has a CT-70. It rides rather nicely and it is great around the airport but I'm told that it isn't fun to load/unload from an airplane. Someone sent me the following pictures. They remove the front seats to enter/exit through the main door. The wing is protected with plywood and carpet. The engine is covered with plastic. The front wheel and fender are removed and later assembled on a milk crate. The wife is bribed with an expensive spa day and talked into putting on work gloves and crawling through the baggage door.

2804 2805 2806

With enough effort, a motorcycle can be loaded into almost any kind of airplane but such a feat of strength is rarely performed. I've spent the last few years trying to make this task convenient enough for every-day use. Now a child can remove a motorcycle and prepare it for riding in two minutes... a full-size motorcycle with highway performance for two adults. It is my goal to provide adventurous pilots with more places to go and unlimited things to do; to make concerts, conventions and beaches just accessible as fly-in restaurants; to make door-to-door travel seamless and to eliminate reservations, paperwork and third-party hassles. From my own experience, I can tell you that the integration of air + ground transportation can fundamentally change the way you use your airplane. If you would like to learn more about my vision and work, there is an excellent article in this month's Piper Owner Magazine: http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/b805b2fd#/b805b2fd/38

Both my DiBlasi's are registered as mopeds in Michigan. I just took the bill of sale in for each bike, they ran the derial numbers to make sure they were not stolen at some time in their life and sold me the registrations...

Regards

Anymouse
02-18-2013, 12:21 AM

They can be a bit pricey, but they have a good rep from what I hear.

http://www.montaguebikes.com/