PDA

View Full Version : Group Camping in Camp Scholler

alamotiger
01-29-2013, 10:10 PM
Where exactly will the group camping be? 36th st or further west?

rleffler
01-30-2013, 06:04 AM
Group camping is wherever you group can find a spot when the group arrives. EAA will reserve a spot for groups, but it is rather expensive since you have to pay from day one when Scholler opens.

The group i've been camping with has a couple of folks that stake sites the week before the show starts. We only have to pay for additional week.

FlyingRon
01-30-2013, 11:01 AM
Our EAA chapter just has one group that goes up there early and buys spaces for everybody who has claimed they were coming. I don't know when they get up there, but they're usually around the eastern most shower hut. I camped with them one year when my airplane was down.

jaustinmd
02-02-2013, 09:18 PM
Exactly what is the group camping policy? One year I arrived mid-wk and promptly got my 5th wheel stuck in the mud . They pulled me out with the tractors and deposited me in a space next to a group in a group camping area. The leader of the group said I didn't belong there (although there were several vacant spaces around the edges of various groups). Seems a waste not to fill-in spaces in the middle of the week!

FlyingRon
02-03-2013, 08:19 AM
Unless the space is paid for, it's fair game.

jaustinmd
02-04-2013, 06:44 AM
Unless the space is paid for, it's fair game.

Thanks ... that's what I thought! The space wasn't theirs or marked-off, etc., so I guess some people are just "territorial!" LOL! They were rather "frosty" at first, but relaxed a bit when they saw my son and I were quiet, responsible campers. I think we won them over - by the end of the week, we even pulled-out of our space during the last day and repositioned to a large vacant area for an early departure the next a.m. so as not to disturb the group with the noise of our departure (diesel pickup)- they seemed very friendly by then!
"Kill them with kindness!" HA!

Kevin O'Halloran
02-05-2013, 09:28 AM
I'm the ground organizer for B2OSH ( bonanzas to Oshkosh formation).

5 years ago, just before the group flew in, A mooney pulled up and parked right in the middle of where the formation group was probably going to be parked--went up to him and explained that he was soon to be surounded with a bunch of bonanzas---but he was welcome to stay if he wanted--since he had already put up his tent--he elected to stay. WELL--he put up with a lot of kidding during the week--but we included him in a lot of our activities. The next year--that mooney pilot had sold his plane, bought a bonanza, got the required formation training and has been flying in the formation to Oshkosh ever since

Your right Jaustinmd--kill them with kindness !!!!
Kevin