PDA

View Full Version : New TSA Regs

Bill Greenwood
01-18-2013, 09:43 PM
TSA has for several years used "backscatter" machines at airports which give subjects a dose of radiation each time through, as well as produce a nude image of the subject. Of course, if you trust TSA or the govt. they say the images are private, and the dose is not harmful. Notice the you will never see the TSA workers themselves going through the claimed to be safe radiation doses. Watch sometime and you will see the workers bypass the machines.
You can also be pretty sure the all the attractive women were sent through the machines, even down to young girls.

Anyway, they have just announced that they are getting rid of these machines , but are in no hurry so will keep them until June.

steveinindy
01-18-2013, 10:05 PM
Notice the you will never see the TSA workers themselves going through the claimed to be safe radiation doses. Watch sometime and you will see the workers bypass the machines.
There's a more logical explanation for that. It makes no sense for them to repeatedly go through it several times per day. It's akin to saying that cops should have to breathalyze themselves every time they get into their car.

Just my own experience as someone who flies about every other week for work, but I have seen the TSA agents go through the scanner machines several times at several different airports. In one case, I watched four of them who were apparently being trained to operate it (or were calibrating it....not sure as I didn't bother to ask) go through it several times each while I was in line.

You can also be pretty sure the all the attractive women were sent through the machines, even down to young girls.

Once again, not in my experience but then again it is anecdotal just like your assertions.

The one thing in this thread that I do agree with is that the radiation risk (even theoretical as it is) is not worth the illusion of security that the TSA affords.

Then again I have never had a bad experience with the TSA and have had several very positive ones over the years including a couple of agents staying late to keep me company while I waited for a very early morning flight home to my grandfather's funeral; I was the only person sitting waiting (outside of the secured area) and they didn't think it right to make me sit alone under the circumstances.

The only problems with TSA are not with the rank and file folks but the idiots in the TSA higher echelons in DC. I try to have a pleasant attitude and usually ask "How's my prostate looking?" after going through the scanners. It always gets a laugh and often the agents have commented that they appreciate folks who don't take their frustrations with the process (beyond their control) out on the "worker bees".

JimRice85
01-18-2013, 11:18 PM
I fly commercially quite frequently. The biggest issue is the rank and file. I always try to be nice and ask how they are. They all act like they are pissed off and hate their job. Surly would be a compliment for most of the ones in Memphis.

steveinindy
01-18-2013, 11:46 PM
I fly commercially quite frequently. The biggest issue is the rank and file. I always try to be nice and ask how they are. Surly would be a compliment for most of the ones in Memphis.

I guess I should try to avoid Memphis then. The ones we have here in Indy are among the nicest government employees I have come across.

They all act like they are pissed off and hate their job.

I can't say I blame folks working with the public in a service role for being a little cranky and hating their job. One of my friends who is a cop asked me why I didn't become a police officer (since I worked as an EMS provider and was a volunteer firefighter; becoming a cop would have been sort of the "holy trinity" of public safety) and my answer was: "Because most of my reports would end with one of the following phrases:
....and that's when I shot him.
....and that's when I tazed him.
....and that's when I used the pepper spray on him.
....and that's when I used my baton on him.
....and that's when I sic'ed the dog on him."

martymayes
01-19-2013, 07:44 AM
I fly commercially quite frequently. The biggest issue is the rank and file. I always try to be nice and ask how they are. Surly would be a compliment for most of the ones in Memphis.

I guess I should try to avoid Memphis then. The ones we have here in Indy are among the nicest government employees I have come across.

LOL, Really? TSA is the same everywhere, except in the places they don't speak english. The IND passenger terminal is ~10x nicer than MEM but other than that and ~400 miles there is no difference.

Joe LaMantia
01-19-2013, 08:31 AM
I'm glad they are going to get rid of the "scanners". I've never heard exactly what kind of "radiation" they emit, but I'm guessing "soft X-Ray". People exposed to that on a day to day basis are at risk and should take precautions. If you've been to the Dentist you know that when X-rays are taken the operator is either outside the room, behind a shielded panel, or at least draped in a lead lined apron. Continuous exposure to X-Rays is dangerous and brings a whole new meaning to the "frequent flyer" program. I agree with Steve regarding the TSA field workers, I did have a bad experience in Albuquerque last year, but that was the result of an "incident" that occurred the day before my flight and triggered a knee jerk reaction by the people in charge. I was not singled-out just put through the whole "search and destroy" thing with everybody flying that morning.
I have vowed to avoid the airlines and drive or fly myself, privately, it may be more expensive but flying the airlines is not a pleasant way to travel.

Joe

Bill Greenwood
01-19-2013, 12:04 PM
"nicest government employees"!
That sounds to me about the same as saying friendly rattlesnake or tame pit bull.