PDA

View Full Version : First time to Oshkosh in 2013.

GeorgeP
01-12-2013, 12:14 AM
G'day all and greetings from Australia. A friend and I (both pilots) will be attending the EAA Airventure for the first time this summer. Our common interest is antique and warbird aircraft. We are also both amateur photographers and will be bringing along our photo. gear. My kit includes a Canon 40D (1.6 crop sensor), Canon 100-400mm L and 17-40mm L and a mixture of CF cards ranging from 4GB to 8GB for a total capacity of 60GB - I shoot RAW. I also have a 320GB laptop to which I plan to backup on a daily basis.

I would appreciate any info. re. from where to get the best photo. opportunities for the airshow and whether I should consider adding another lens to my kit. Any other tips for first-timers would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any responses and I look forward to meeting forum members at Airventure.

Cheers,

George

CarlOrton
01-12-2013, 06:44 AM
George, you're going to have the time of your life!

Sorry; can't comment on the camera gear. Having too-long a lens (at least for me) can be difficult keeping the target in the viewfinder during high-speed, low passes by performers. I only have a Lumix that goes to 420mm, and I have to zoom out a bit to keep things centered.

As far as other prep goes, the AirVenture.org website has a "planning" pulldown in the homepage that contains just about all the information you'll need to get started.

Camping / dorms / private residence? Will you have a rental car? There are plenty of stores within walking distance of the field to stock up on provisions. If you're in the dorms, get the weekly pass and just ride the bus. The great thing about AirVenture is that it's been going on for so long that at this point it's a well-oiled machine. Things / logistics just plain work.

Many international visitors pack a suitcase inside of a larger suitcase in order to have space in which to bring home all of the things you will inevitably obtain during the week. As far as "basics", you can purchase just about anything you might need once here, whether camping equipment, clothes, food, etc. You'll need sunscreen. Hats & dark glasses are required. If you're on the field at night, whether camping or for the night airshow on Saturday, you'll need insect repellent, but you can buy that here.

This may be your first time, but I'm betting that you'll be with others from Australia that have been here before, or you'll find them here once you arrive. Pick their brains for what works for them.

Welcome! You'll soon be immersed with 500,000 of your closest friends.

GeorgeP
01-13-2013, 02:15 AM
Thanks for your response, Carl.

We're staying at the U of W dorms and plan to purchase a weekly pass. Wouldn't dare try to drive on the 'wrong' side of the road - way too taxing for a brain accustomed to driving on the LHS. ;) We have pretty-much everything we'll need except camp chairs which will buy on arrival. Hats, sunscreen, repellent etc. are standard requirements for attending an airshow during our summer, too, when it can often reach 40 C during mid summer.

Meeting and mixing with like-minded people will also be a highlight.

Nice-looking plane that you have built.

Cheers,

George

Scott.Woodford
01-13-2013, 03:23 AM
G'day George. I am heading over with 2 mates from Melbourne. For 2 of us, this will be our second trip (the first was 2011), and we managed to convince the third that he was missing something extraordinary and needed to come along this year!

Firstly, remember the 6 P's! Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance! The EAA website has a heap of hints and tips for first time visitors to AirVenture. You should start here!

For camping/survival supplies, the is a large Walmart supermarket within a few minutes drive of the airfield. I strongly suggest you get yourselves a cheap folding camp chair and an umbrella from this store. The sun can be a little warm at times, and you will really value the ability to sit on a chair rather than all the way down on the grass when you are spending upwards of 12 hours a day on the display line. Just remember to stay behind the safety line burnt in to the grass, and never leave your chairs unattended (this is an etiquette/safety thing...nobody wants loose chairs blowing into the path of taxiing aircraft!)

As for the best place to take photos, let me offer this pearl of wisdom (and I mean no disrespect to our American friends here!) :D Keep an eye on the crowd. Where-ever there is a huge crowd, walk the other way and find a spot by yourself. The display line is enormous, and there is plenty of room for you to be on the line, away from the crowds. For some unknown reason (and this was relayed to me before I got to Oshkosh...and then reconfirmed by my own experiences there) whenever a few people gather in one spot to look at something, a crowd quickly gathers - I think alot of people must think there is something to see, and it becomes self-fuelling.

It seems that the prevailing winds (and the layout of the airport) result in most aircraft approaching/taking off from right to left on the main runways (directly ahead of you as you walk through from the main entrance). The only exception to this seemed to be the military hardware which, rather than taxi long distances for takeoff, would launch downwind. As for where you are going to get the best photos, that ultimately depends on what you want. If you want nice shots of aircraft with everything hanging out, and vortices rolling off the wing tips, then when you get to the display line, turn right and keep walking! You won't be able to get down to the runway threshold but you've got a long anough lense to sit back a bit and grab some good shots. I shot last year with a 300 mm lense and was a bit short for most of the stuff (although way too close for the B29!). This year I am taking a 500mm lense on a Nikon D7000.

Don't neglect the parking areas either. There are an enormous number of warbirds parked in the warbird area. I have never seen so many P51's all in one place! The ability to get up close to all of these aircraft mean you can get some really interesting angles too!

The EAA Museum is also a must-see!

Finally, make sure you venture down to The Bar, in the township, for a Bayou Burger (get the Pepperjack cheese) as it is AWESOME!

Enjoy your first pilgrimage, mate. It is mind blowing! :thumbsup:

CarlOrton
01-13-2013, 10:55 AM
Hi again, George;

First, thanks for the compliment on the plane!

Since you're in the dorms, you should find out which dorm. As in, most rooms are not air-conditioned. Taylor Hall *is*, but at a higher price - you'd know this if you already have reservations. There is also a new hall opening for the first time in 2013 (can't recall the name), but it has a suite-type arrangement, but at a MUCH higher price than Taylor. Anyway, the point of this is that either WalMart or Target (target's right across the road from the field) have what we Yanks call "box fans" that will sit in a windo. You will need one if not in an airconditioned hall. They run about US$15; most visitors just leave them in the room upon departure. Another standard practice is to prop your dorm room door open by putting a shoe betwixt the door and jamb to allow some cross ventilation. Some folks might think that not too safe, but I think Oshkosh is just about the most crime-free place in the entire world during AirVenture week.

We stay in the dorms every year. While the campus food is good, it's of the "all you can eat" style. That might work for you; if you're trying to watch what goes in, it can be expensive if you just want a sandwich, for example. There are many great restaurants within a block or so of the dorms. If you can scrounge up some transportation (you'll have a bus pass) or taxi, there are many many other great options. Just about anyone will offer a ride if they have the space.

Lastly, make sure you try some Spotted Cow. It's a Belgian Pale Ale that is only available in the state of Wisconsin. May not be everyone's cup o' tea, but they sure seem to go thru a lot of it that week!

Roger Janssens
01-13-2013, 06:13 PM
Do I see a reference to Belgian Pale Ale in this thread? Then it's high time for me to chime in! :-)

George: please refer to Google Maps. If you don't zoom in too much on OSH you will actually see AirVenture 2011 at work (satellite view). As has already been mentioned, during the airshow most a/c will come in on 36, but quite a few of them (e.g. most heavies during the warbird part) will take off from 18, although many of them again stay pretty low until they've reached the end of 36. Airshow centre is just south of Celebration Way (=roughly where the 4 Aeroshell T6's and Matt Younkin's Beech 18 are parked).
The area around airshow centre tends to get somewhat crowded during the airshow, but if you walk just a little south you should be OK. Anything south of Waupun Rd tends to have large enough gaps that you can usually just squeeze in even while moving north or south. And then it's a matter of what you like best. I like to photograph a/c on or just before touchdown, so I always walk as far south as W Ripple Av or further down.
400 mm (*1.6) will be enough, I have 400 mm full-frame and I don't feel limited, except when the smaller warbirds are doing their merry-go-round flying - they're too far away for me.
The smaller warbirds, incl. the trainers, usu. take-off and land on 09/27. The warbirds area is cleared every day around 2 pm, but you can photograph them taking-off from the 'North 40' area just west of the warbirds area (43.990637,-88.56275 on Google Maps). If they're taking off from 09 (happens only once or twice during the week) you can also get them taxying by from there.
The day's airshow schedule (incl. timings) is posted on a ground floor window of the communications building (43.978153,-88.559147 on Google Maps) about an hour before the start of the show, but it is often a rough guide only. And the warbirds slot doesn't list any specific a/c or the order in which they will fly.
Outside of the airshow, it's pot luck as to when any specific a/c will move, except that you will always be in the wrong place. If you decide to set up camp next to 09/27, rest assured that the a/c you really want will come in on 36 and the other way round. More a/c tend to come in on 36 than on 27 if only because of the fact that 36 is 36L and 36R, but I've always had the impression that warbirds try to come in on 27 if they can. Antiques will more often use 36 or 18 (which is great in late afternoon/evening light).
You will probably already have found this on the AirVenture map on the AirVenture website, but the warbirds are parked west of the intersection of runways 04/22 and 13/31 (which aren't used during the week except to park more a/c), and they are parked east to west and west to east, so best light for static shots during the middle of the day. Antiques are parked just south of the wood south of Vern Av, and they are parked facing north, so best light before 8 am (I always try to be in that area by 6.30 am at least once every AirVenture :-)).

Don't hesitate to ask more questions - Oshkosh attracts a surprisingly small number of photographers, so I'm always happy to help fellow hobbyists out!

Roger (from Belgium, if the initial reference wasn't clear enough)

Bill Greenwood
01-14-2013, 12:28 PM
I am not sure how much additional cost there is for the air conditioned rooms in the dorms, but whatever the charge it is worth it. It can and often does get very hot in Osh in summer, over 30C (over 95*F) and I have even one year seen 40*C on a thermometer there. It can even get cool, down in the 50*s F at night, but that is not the norm.

Enjoy it, and by the way when is the best time of year to visit down under?

rleffler
01-14-2013, 01:38 PM
I am not sure how much additional cost there is for the air conditioned rooms in the dorms, but whatever the charge it is worth it. It can and often does get very hot in Osh in summer, over 30C (over 95*F) and I have even one year seen 40*C on a thermometer there. It can even get cool, down in the 50*s F at night, but that is not the norm.

They are about $40/night more and are already booked for 2013. They do have a waitlist, but I can't state how long it is. They also have a/c suites with an in-suite bathroom this year, but they are pretty expensive.

The room I had last year had a window a/c, but didn't have a cord that would reach any of the outlets. A quick trip to Walmart solved that problem. It made the trip much nicer being able to get a good night's sleep.

Bret Steffen
01-14-2013, 01:39 PM
Another great spot to get a unique photo is in the North 40 camping area, the perimeter road goes around the end of 9/27 and you can get some great photos of planes departing.

GeorgeP
01-14-2013, 07:46 PM
Thanks to all who have responded. I have taken copious notes, consulted maps and feel that we have enough info. to hit the ground running.

Our airconditioned room is located in Taylor Hall so we should theoretically get some sleep during any hot weather. The tips about from where to watch the airshow action are greatly appreciated because it will ensure that we don't sit in a useless location and then have to relocate after the show starts. Thanks, too, for the food and drink recommendations - I love my food and it is a significant measure of an enjoyable holiday. Oh, I do like those Belgian ales, particularly the Trappist brews. Sounds as though every dimension of our trip will be great!

Thanks, again, for all your assistance.

Cheers,

George

Scott.Woodford
01-15-2013, 03:29 AM

Hi Bill. The best time to visit Australia really depends on where you want to go. At this time of year (our summer) the southern parts of the country are getting temps in the high 20's to mid 30's (and often high 30's)...that's celsius, of course! Occasionally we may get low 40's, but they're not sustained over many days.

On the other hand, if you went to the top end, you would see regular temps in the high 30's to low 40's. A couple of weeks ago, we also saw a temperature of 50+ recorded for the first time since the 1960's! The down side to visiting the northern areas at this time of year is that it is also the "wet season", with lots of tropical storms and cyclones.

Our winters are reasonably wet, but temps are usually around the mid-teens during the day.

For the best general weather experience, I would suggest late March into April and early May, or at the other end of the year, try October, November and early December.

GeorgeP
01-15-2013, 04:19 AM
.....by the way when is the best time of year to visit down under?Thanks for your response, Bill, and my apologies for missing your question re. the best time to visit Australia.

Scott has pretty-much covered it. If you plan to visit the southern states then Spring is the best time of the year (Sept onwards). Conversely, anywhere north of the Tropic of Capricorn is best visited during the 'Dry' season to avoid the oppressive heat / humidity. The half dozen, or so, trips that I have done to that region have been during the period between early June and late September.

Feel free to PM me for any further information.

Cheers,

George

The Cameraman
01-20-2013, 02:29 PM
Hi George,

I made my first tri to Air Venture in 2012 and loved every minute of it, apart from;

1, having to come home &
2, being battered when the storm came through!

I also used my much abused 40D, as my primary body, to which I fitted my 100-400 L series lens. I then used my even more abused 20D as a secondary body, to which I used a 24 - 70 Sigma 2.8. I also had a 10 - 22 Canon lens, which I used when visiting the Green Bay Packers stadium. I found that I used each body for 50% of the time, so they balanced out well. My recommendations are not to change the lens on site, because of dust/pollen ingress onto the sensor and to go out and buy a second body (after all they're only cheap now). I didn't bother doing back ups each day and simply used more CF cards. With 60GB you should have plenty of space and if not just buy more. Just make sure you don't loose 'em! Don't forget to go down to the best spot of the lot, the Seaplane Base! Don't spend all of your time photographing the aircraft. Remove your face from the camera and enjoy the event. And finally, I shouldn't need to say this to an Aussie, but ensure you use a neck shade, that you can re-soak on a regular basis, as a burnt neck's not good for you.

The event is a life changing one, don't just think of it as a bloody big airshow, it's much more that that!

Enjoy

Regards

Reggie

GeorgeP
01-20-2013, 07:41 PM
G'day Reggie,

thanks for the extra tips and info. Yes, I'm planning to spend at least half a day (probably one) at the seaplane base and the reason for attending for the whole week is to look at aircraft with the naked eye, not just through the viewfinder. Thanks for the warning about changing lenses out in the field. My MO is to retreat indoors to change lenses and to wipe off surface dust on the camera before separating it from the lens.

Are you attending this year?

The Cameraman
01-21-2013, 02:28 AM
Hi George,

sorry to say I can't attend this year and it'll be a couple more years before I have the funds to return but, trust me on this one, I will return!

The most important thing about the event isn't the location, nor is it the vast selection of exotic aircraft, it's all about the people. It's like being part of a massive family. OK you won't see eye to eye with every single person there but you'll be accepted by all and sundry and, if you're anything like me, you'll be welcomed by like minded folk, with a fabulous array of of excuses to partake an a tinny or two!

Regards

Reggie

GeorgeP
02-13-2013, 03:07 AM
One more question, if I may. My flight from Chicago drops me at Appleton and I was wondering whether anyone could suggest the best form of transfer that I could use to get to the Uni of Wisconsin. My first (obvious? :)) option would be to get a taxi for the 30, or so, kilometre journey. All other suggestions gratefully accepted.

rleffler
02-13-2013, 07:28 AM
One more question, if I may. My flight from Chicago drops me at Appleton and I was wondering whether anyone could suggest the best form of transfer that I could use to get to the Uni of Wisconsin. My first (obvious? :)) option would be to get a taxi for the 30, or so, kilometre journey. All other suggestions gratefully accepted.

It depends on the date of your arrival.

During the show there is a bus that runs between Appleton and Oshkosh. I suspect the schedule may be on the Airventure site. Once you arrive at OSH, then you can take the bus to the University.

I'm also willing to bet if you held a sign up in baggage claim near the rental counters stating that you need a ride to OSH, it probably wouldn't take long to get ride. Somebody renting a car should have an empty seat. You might want to add, I'm from Australia and need a ride to OSH.

Good Luck!

bob

Antique Tower
02-13-2013, 03:20 PM
WELCOME!

Two tips:

1. For static pictures it's best to get out there ultra-early, before the crowds. Dawn is around 6 am or so.

2. The best food at the airshow is the breakfast buffet at the dorms - Blackhawk Commons I believe it's called. We camp on the field, but always make it over at least once for the breakfast there.

AlexC
02-27-2013, 09:15 AM
Hi George,

This may be common knowledge, (probably is!) but a large number of photo's (over 7,000 at the moment) taken at AirVenture can be found on airliners.net, which should give you some idea of what to expect. As far as photo gear is concerned, I use a 1.5 crop Nikon with a 80-200 2.8 Nikkor for the vast majority of my photos there plus a 1.4 extender some of the time. I also have a 300/2.8 that I have to leave at home as if I tried to take it my carry-on would exceed the weight allowed, and it's a lot to carry around all day! But what I do take is perfectly adequate most of the time. Where I am at a distinct disadvantage is when it comes to trying to take the smaller aircraft in the flying display, so I don't really try. The flying display is usually largely taken up with aerobatic aircraft which the American's seem very keen on, which is understandable I suppose. The advice already given by others regarding the lay-out of the field etc. is very good.

Now regarding accommodation. I stay at the uni in one of the rooms without aircon. To be honest, I've never really felt the need for it. You can open the windows (which have insect screens) which provides adequate ventilation in my experience, and being English, and living in a generally cloudy, cool climate I just love some guaranteed sunshine for a change, although I have to slip, slap, and slop as you Aussie's say or I'd be burnt to a crisp!

Alex

GeorgeP
02-27-2013, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the further responses. Sounds like the uni will be good for breakfast and my 100-400 might be the best option for airshow photogtraphy.

Thanks, too, to those who responded to my airport transfer query. I arrive at about 7pm on Saturday 27th and need to get to the uni where I'll be sharing with a mate from Australia. Would anyone have an approximate price for the ~30km journey from Appleton to the uni and the availability of taxis at the airport? I'm guessing around the $50 mark for the fare. Thanks for the continuing assistance.

CarlOrton
02-27-2013, 09:58 PM
Hi, George;

Just a thought or two. While the uni (as you call it) has a good breakfast deal at an all-you-can-eat price, sometimes you don't need that much food. Another option at the dorms is The Terrace, which is a small area on the first floor of Gruenhagen; this is more ala carte of a continental breakfast scope.

Fruit, bagles, toast, pastries, cereal, coffee and juices are about all they have. But, if you just want a bagel w/cream cheese, a banana, and a cup o' Starbucks, you'll get out for around US$3.

I've never made the drive from Appleton, but if you're adventurous, you'll probably bump into someone in the terminal who's heading to Oshkosh and would give you a ride. It'd be a good bet that just about 98% of the folks on any given flight that day will be heading to the show.

There's normally a shuttle bus that runs from the grounds to Appleton, but I don't recall the day they start it. The planning section of the Airventure.org website lists Nationwide Travelers at 920-734-5620 who provides a shuttle service from the airport. They may be able to give you better information.

AlexC
02-28-2013, 04:35 AM
I also use the The Terrace at the Gruenhagen (where I usually stay) for breakfast sometimes. Another option that is very reasonable is a church run outfit located near the bus station just outside the main gate to the airfield. At lunch time it's particularly popular with long lines waiting!

MEdwards
02-28-2013, 09:34 PM
Hay, George. I like Melbourne, been there several times, a very cosmopolitan city. We have a friend with a Bonanza at Lilydale, and I've flown in there myself several years ago.

Several people have mentioned, but maybe not stated explicitly, there's one bus terminal just outside the main gate of the show with buses to/from, among other places, Appleton and the University dorms. You could catch those two buses for much less than $50, I'm sure, but of course you'd probably have to wait for each bus, probably 20 minutes each on average. A taxi would be quicker and easier, but I have no idea if $50 is right for that. Folks are correct that the chance of getting a ride is pretty good, especially for a couple colourful Aussies!

GeorgeP
03-14-2013, 02:20 AM
Thanks guys, some good suggestions there.

@MEdwards, I live quite close to Lilydale and it came a close second to Moorabbin Airport when I was considering where to train for my PPL all those years ago.

DavidE
05-30-2013, 07:25 AM
Interested in the views from the photographers. How much of the visiting aircraft parks are outside of the ticketed areas? I am planning to arrive late afternoon, stay two days, and depart early morning. Will I be able to access visitor parking on first and last days for a brief run round before/after the gates open and close? Thanks for any advice. David

CarlOrton
05-30-2013, 08:07 AM
Hi, David; Unsure of your question. If an airplane flies into Wittman Field, you can get right up to it (unless it's cordoned-off, that is...). There are no airplanes parked outside of the ticketed areas (well, unless you count those at outlying airports, but those are not the showplanes anyway...).

PaulDow
05-30-2013, 08:28 AM
I believe the convention grounds are open 24 hours/day during the event, so to see show planes you'll need to purchase admission even for your short days. Of course, things get pretty quiet between 11PM and dawn.
I believe you can get to the North transient aircraft parking & camping area without going through an admission gate, but those are usually not the unique planes. There's lots of them though.

One other thing is that the museum opens at 8 AM during the convention, and admission is included with your regular EAA membership. Depending on when you're leaving on your last day, that could be a good way to spend a few hours inexpensively.

Wide area wi-fi was tried a few years ago, and it didn't work well. They now have several hot spots and charging stations around the site in order to provide smaller, but more reliable, coverage. There are computers you can use for short periods at the EAA member center too.

DavidE
05-30-2013, 09:38 AM
Thank you guys. Think I'm just struggling with the size of this event. More used in Europe to visitor aircraft and show aircraft being two separate areas. I'm staying in Camp Scholler for the three nights and from what you say it looks like I'll be able to roam about and have plenty to photograph at all hours! I plan to keep away from the more mundane visiting aircraft due to the volumes. Have either of you experienced the quality of the Wi-Fi signal in the general campgrounds? I assume it'll be pretty patchy.

AlexC
05-31-2013, 03:19 AM
The warbird area is usually shut off during the daily airshows. I personally don't mind the 'more mundane' aircraft, I'll photograph anything that fly's at Oshkosh!

rleffler
05-31-2013, 10:24 AM
Wifi in Camp Scholler is spotty at best. They do publish where the antennas are installed, so just select a site nearby and you'll be fine.

Gil
05-31-2013, 05:06 PM
I have been disappointed with the WIFI signal in the North 40, but understand there have been improvements in the last two years, when I did not camp there. But if they publish where the antennas are, you should be fine.

Skyguy
06-03-2013, 07:50 PM
From 1 aviator who has attended EAA since it moved to Oshkoh.

- If staying at dorm......there is a pub at front of parking lot called Kellys.
- Full of Brits & Ausie aviators during EAA.

- Only drink Spotted Cow beer while in Wisconsin.
- Only eat Brats by Johnsonville...they are the best.

- I sayed in dorm 1 time. Never again.
- Hot.
- No parking.
- Much shared bathroom....not good.

- Anticipate some kind of weather event....hot...cold....thunderstorm.

AlexC
06-04-2013, 02:08 AM
The Dorm's are OK if you don't mind roughing it a bit, but then I'm a Brit, so I'm used to it!

GeorgeP
06-04-2013, 04:40 AM
From 1 aviator who has attended EAA since it moved to Oshkoh.

- If staying at dorm......there is a pub at front of parking lot called Kellys.
- Full of Brits & Ausie aviators during EAA. Plenty of Aussies in Oz - I hope to meet a few Yanks. :D

- Only drink Spotted Cow beer while in Wisconsin.
- Only eat Brats by Johnsonville...they are the best. I always eat and drink the local produce.

- I sayed in dorm 1 time. Never again.
- Hot. We're in an A/C room.
- No parking. No car.
- Much shared bathroom....not good. No prob. - there'll be luxury when we stay at the Willard in DC.

- Anticipate some kind of weather event....hot...cold....thunderstorm. Again, no prob because I live in Melbourne where the weather changes every 5 minutes. One day 45C, next day 20C.

On a serious note, my mate and I have waiting for this for 30 years. We wanted to stay somewhere that offered modest accommodation and had lots of like-minded people. I think we'll be fine.

Cheers,

George

Joe Delene
06-04-2013, 01:49 PM
One shouldn't be spending much time at the dorm anyway, just to sleep. If the price is right I'd put up with a few discomforts.

CarlOrton
06-04-2013, 03:42 PM
On a serious note, my mate and I have waiting for this for 30 years. We wanted to stay somewhere that offered modest accommodation and had lots of like-minded people. I thnk we'll be fine.George, you'll have a blast. We've always stayed in the dorms (we usually try for Taylor, one of the a/c buildings) and it's good. It's more like an international village and we've had the pleasure of meeting lots of great folks (and friends). My goal is to someday camp under the wing, but my wife, who has as much fun as I, prefers the dorms (well, she'd PREFER the Hilton, but just try getting a reservation THERE...). If you see a guy in a Sonex hat in Taylor, it's probably me.

OldGunbunny
06-04-2013, 06:06 PM
George (and other international visitors), Please check in at the International Visitor tent (usually found near the base of the control tower). There's also a free dinner for international visitors (have to get the ticket thru the International tent).

GeorgeP
06-04-2013, 08:36 PM
....(we usually try for Taylor, one of the a/c buildings) and it's good. ...... If you see a guy in a Sonex hat in Taylor, it's probably me. We're also in Taylor so if you see an Aussie lookin' for a guy wearing a Sonex hat, it'll be me. :)

Floatsflyer
06-04-2013, 09:16 PM
George (and other international visitors), Please check in at the International Visitor tent (usually found near the base of the control tower). There's also a free dinner for international visitors (have to get the ticket thru the International tent).

Really!? I've been coming for years(from Toronto) and never knew about the free dinner. Thanks for the heads-up.

OldGunbunny
06-05-2013, 04:55 AM
Contrary to SkyGuy's advice, I'd recommend trying all the local beers. Wisconsin is known for beer, cheese and bratwurst - try them all. For those wanting a better lunch than standing in line for an hour at a booth (but about the same price), catch the shuttle bus around the North 40. Get off at the Friar Tuck stop (at the Motel 8 sign). Friar Tuck's is across the parking lot from the motel. Good food and drink, a comfortable place to sit, you can have a beer with lunch (can't do that inside Airventure).

AlexC
06-05-2013, 09:30 AM
Any recommendations for veggies!

CarlOrton
06-05-2013, 10:25 AM
Alex: they've completely revamped the food vendors. At this point, we the general membership have not been told who the new vendors will be. They did promise to have a much larger diversity of available food, so I'm afraid you'll just have to wait it out to see if anyone provides that for which you're looking. While not a veggie myself, I'd like to think that they'd have a greater offering for those who are. Even I get tired of brats & burgers after a few days.

AlexC
06-06-2013, 03:27 AM
Thanks for that!

OldGunbunny
06-07-2013, 07:26 AM
Floatsflyer, there's a new item this year - a Canadian area has been announced - sited next to the International tent. I understand they're having an ice cream social on Wed PM.

GeorgeP
06-09-2013, 02:20 AM
I'm thinking of purchasing two tickets for the Aviators' Club for the Saturday. I have enquired via e-mail to the EAA but have yet to receive a response (I presume they're pretty busy ATM). Would anyone care to confirm whether breakfast, lunch and dinner (for Saturday entry) are included in the ticket price. It appears that they are, but I'd like to double-check before I outlay my money. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Cheers,

George

GeorgeP
06-12-2013, 01:34 AM
Still no reply to my enquiry to the EAA, so I'm bumping this message and hoping for a response from one of you helpful folk. :D

MEdwards
06-12-2013, 11:27 AM
George, the announcement said "By popular demand, breakfast, plus lunch each day throughout the week." So dinner definitely is not included. It does not explicitly say that breakfast and lunch are included in the ticket price, as opposed to available for purchase, but it calls it an "amenity" and I'm quite sure I remember from previous years that lunch was included.

Skyguy
06-14-2013, 09:39 PM
Still no reply to my enquiry to the EAA, so I'm bumping this message and hoping for a response from one of you helpful folk. :D

Save your money.

Their is less expensive food around.

And the viewing of the night airshow can be seen from quiet a distance.

There are now 2 night airshows.....Wed & Sat.

GeorgeP
06-15-2013, 02:42 AM
Thanks to MEdwards and Skyguy for their responses. I have now received a reply from the EAA to confirm that only breakfast and lunch are provided. I will proceed with the purchase of Saturday tickets because my mate and I have been flying together for over thirty years and have spent quite a few dollars getting to Oshkosh from Australia. It will be a nice way to end the show.