PDA

View Full Version : A&P Mechanic looking to obtain my Private Pilot License

A/c mech
01-06-2013, 03:18 PM
Hello this is my first post here and had a couple of questions. I am a new A&P mechanic that is looking to get a private pilot license. How would you suggest I go about getting training with the lowest cost possible? I mean I can afford a couple hours here, a couple hours there but I was wondering if there is a way to "trade" maintenance work for flight training? Is that even possible? How about loans or scholarships like Fannie Mae? I saw a link to "Young Flyers" and was wondering if its just for kids or students? Are those scholarships for people looking to make a career as a pilot? I just want mine for recreation (for now anyways). So basically what I'm trying to say, is there a fairly inexpensive way to go about getting my pilot license and utilizing my A&P certificate in doing so?
Thanks Alan

martymayes
01-06-2013, 05:34 PM
I am a new A&P mechanic that is looking to get a private pilot license. How would you suggest I go about getting training with the lowest cost possible? I mean I can afford a couple hours here, a couple hours there but I was wondering if there is a way to "trade" maintenance work for flight training? Is that even possible?

I've known some mechanics that traded A&P work for flight training. Don't recall any of them finishing because the usual A&P for flying exchange rate is never in the mechanics favor. Once I gave lessons to a mechanic who was trading A&P work for flight training.

I think the lowest cost option would be to invest in a club or multiple partnership where you could negotiate favorable terms. Then if one of the club or partners is a CFI, you should have everything in your favor. Perhaps going that route you could get a loan to buy the plane. Don't think you'll find many favorable "pilot training loan" alternatives.

jedi
01-08-2013, 11:10 AM
The trade of A&P hours for CFI hours is a good one. The problem is the airplane. If you can find a freelance CFI and maintain his aircraft you will have a good relationship as with you fllying his plane he will know that it is well maintained. Lacking that, use your A&P to find a cheep fixer-up-er and put it into service. You will likely find it useful for traveling to the location of aircraft needing your attention so it will be a good investment and once it is working good you will find this may be a good income potential to buy and sell aircraft occationally. There are several models of aircraft that are out of favor with the general market, Beech Sundowner for example that are good aircraft and can be purchased at a reasonable price. An old tail dragger would also be a good canidate. Do not overlook the experimental AB resale market.

A/c mech
01-09-2013, 10:35 AM
Well I found a flying club here in LA (Hawthorne) that I may go thru. It's called "A&E Flying Club" that is fairly inexpensive. It sounds like a GREAT oppournity for me as I can get some GA maintenance experience while training for my pilots license! The rates are right up my alley. They have four 172's and rates are around $84-$140/hr. A&P's get discounts and instructors usually charge about $20-$40/hr.Yyou pay your monthly dues and every third Saturday , they have a mandatory maintenance day. I think it's going to be a good fit for me!
I talked with another club and instructor and he suggested that if I want to save money, start studying ground school ASAP and get a simulator/yoke and fly the crap out of it! I think that's what I'm going to do!
Thanks everyone for the advice! Nice forum!

lindaybuenrostro
02-20-2014, 08:19 AM
Go for it. I myself just crazy about aviation. Lets fly:D

lindaybuenrostro
02-24-2014, 07:19 AM
Hello this is my first post here and had a couple of questions. I am a new A&P mechanic that is looking to get a private pilot license. How would you suggest I go about getting training with the lowest cost possible? I mean I can afford a couple hours here, a couple hours there but I was wondering if there is a way to "trade" maintenance work for flight training? Is that even possible? How about loans or scholarships like Fannie Mae? I saw a link to "Young Flyers" and was wondering if its just for kids or students? Are those scholarships for people looking to make a career as a pilot? I just want mine for recreation (for now anyways). So basically what I'm trying to say, is there a fairly inexpensive way to go about getting my pilot license and utilizing my A&P certificate in doing so?
Thanks Alan
Try contacting a flight trainer and see if they accept your offer. I mean it's not a bad deal, free maintenance for free flight training that's sounds fair to me.

jedi
03-01-2014, 05:42 PM
Google "See how it flies" and read it. Do not purchase all the stuff the typical FBO wants to sell students. All you need is on the internet and free.

psween
03-05-2014, 07:24 AM
I kind of did what you propose back in 03. I was a newly minted A&P and found a job at a local FBO. I worked full time, then flew for an hour or two after work most days of the week. As others have said, it's certainly not an hour for hour deal! I don't believe I took home more than a few dollars for the whole summer, but I was living back at home and knew it was temporary, so it was doable. The best part was I was working on the same plane I was learning in, so dispatch was up to me, and I could bust my butt to make sure I had something to fly by the end of the day. For me it worked, but there are probably other ways that would as well. I took my first official (logged) lesson on May 29, and passed my checkride on August 28, with 41.0 hours in the book. I do recommend the fast paced, fly nearly every day approach to flight training. Less time to forget stuff, and you get to try lots of different weather, wind, etc.

Patrick Sween