PDA

View Full Version : Sport Aviation Magazine in the Mail.

Bill
11-27-2012, 09:19 PM
Since I got three aviation magazines in the mail yesterday, I was going to help Hal out with the date received after I finished reading the wonderful issue of Sport Aviation I just received, but was still too busy reading. The cover has a fabulous closeup picture of a BD-5J in flight; the next page is a full-page closeup of the SubSonex JSX-1 in flight and there are great following articles with more delightful photos of both aircraft. After that, I read the article on John Denver's fatal accident in a Long-EZ and continued on to the article on Tube and Fabric 101, maintaining your Piper Cub or other rag and tube airplane. The best issue of Sport Aviation I've read in months.

Then I looked at the cover. I was reading the December 2012 issue of AOPA Pilot.

Mike Switzer
11-27-2012, 09:25 PM
Then I looked at the cover. I was reading the December 2012 issue of AOPA Pilot.

Well, going by past history around here I will get it in about 3 weeks. Any periodicals around here (central IL) are 3 weeks after everyone is talking about it on the interweb. The last 3 months my bills have been about a week later than usual, and the mail used to come around noon, now we are lucky to have it by 4pm. I think the PO is cutting back big time.

CarlOrton
11-27-2012, 09:29 PM
Bill, I know what you mean! I just read the same mag today and was thinking the exact same things!

steveinindy
11-28-2012, 12:24 AM
After that, I read the article on John Denver's fatal accident in a Long-EZ

Is it bad that I always wondered if it would have been inappropriate to play "Leavin' on a Jet Plane" at his memorial service?

martymayes
11-28-2012, 05:43 AM
The best issue of Sport Aviation I've read in months.

I knew it couldn't be SA, too many experimentals!!

Hal Bryan
11-28-2012, 08:04 AM
Thanks to those of you who read the original post and have taken the time to provide some useful feedback!

For those who want to congratulate our friends at AOPA on their magazine, here's a perfect place to do that:

http://forums.aopa.org/ (http://forums.aopa.org/)

CarlOrton
11-28-2012, 08:40 AM
Hi, Hal;

If by original post, you mean the one you wrote about timely delivery of SA, I'm waiting until I have some data - as in, when I receive the December copy.

My November issue was quite late - after the 10th of the month. (Yes, I will forward my comments to eaaforums@eaa.org), but I can't recall the exact date, so I didn't want to reply with speculation. My other aviation mags (AOPA & KitPlanes) both arrived Monday the 27th, so I don't seem to have a delivery problem with those....

Mike Switzer
11-28-2012, 08:52 AM
If by original post, you mean the one you wrote about timely delivery of SA, I'm waiting until I have some data - as in, when I receive the December copy.

My November issue was quite late - after the 10th of the month. (Yes, I will forward my comments to eaaforums@eaa.org), but I can't recall the exact date, so I didn't want to reply with speculation.

Same here - I just started reading the November issue the other day, but I don't remember exactly when it arrived, so I will report when I get the December issue. I can say for a fact that I received the December issue of Kitplanes before the November issue of Sport Aviation because they go in the pile in the order they arrive, and I already read Kitplanes.

WLIU
12-05-2012, 09:24 AM
In New Hampshire, the December Sport Aviation arrived yesterday.

Merry Christmas.

Wes
N78PS

Hangar10
12-05-2012, 06:15 PM
Got mine today... does seem a bit late.

Not only does it appear to be late, but several pages are creased or wrinkled. Not from mishandling by the USPS, but it is clearly damage done by the printing/binding equipment. While pages are creased or wrinkled, they are also cut to the proper dimension, indicating that they were messed up prior to hitting the shear. Maybe a dozen pages throughout the mag.

rosiejerryrosie
12-06-2012, 03:03 PM
December's Sport Aviation arrived today, 6 December 2012. No visable damage.

Mike Switzer
12-06-2012, 03:12 PM
Mine came today also. I know it didn't arrive this early last month but I just don't remember when it came.

Hal Bryan
12-06-2012, 04:20 PM
Got mine today... does seem a bit late.

Not only does it appear to be late, but several pages are creased or wrinkled. Not from mishandling by the USPS, but it is clearly damage done by the printing/binding equipment. While pages are creased or wrinkled, they are also cut to the proper dimension, indicating that they were messed up prior to hitting the shear. Maybe a dozen pages throughout the mag.

I was sorry to hear about this, Mark - I've passed this along with the other feedback, and we'll be talking to our print vendor about it. We'll get a replacement issue out to you as well.

Thanks ongoing to Mike, Jerry, et al for the feedback - it's been very helpful so far!

Bill Greenwood
12-06-2012, 04:39 PM
Mine was in my post office box when I checked on the 4th, so it may have come in as early as the 30th when I last checked, and no sign of any misprints or damage.

Hangar10
12-07-2012, 01:45 AM
Thanks Hal, I would appreciate the fresh copy. I'd like to add that this is the first I've seen of this with our magazine. I have however seen this with other publications before. I'm sure it is just the result of a high speed automated printing process that causes this type of thing to occur on occasion... sounds like I am the exception as others have a clean copy. Hopefully we'll get the bugs worked out, our magazine is one of the few that I look forward to each month.

malexander
12-07-2012, 04:45 AM
Got my December issue yesterday (December 6). No damage.

Mayhemxpc
12-07-2012, 04:59 AM
Still waiting on mine.

Joe LaMantia
12-07-2012, 08:22 AM
I left for Wis on the 4th and returned on the 6th, it was here when I got home, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet.

Joe
:cool:

Todd copeland
12-07-2012, 04:28 PM
Got Decembers issue today. 12/07/2012

Hiperbiper
12-07-2012, 07:45 PM
I got mine 12/4 and no wrinkles,kinks or creases.
Loved the cover shot. Loved the P-40 line-up on page 3 more!.
Read thru the whole mag in one sitting and found no fault with ANY article (though I pity to poor bas**rd who gets paid to polish that beautiful Lockheed, job security not withstanding!).

In my opinion the best issue in a year...a bottle of beer, a bag of Cheetos and a good airplane mag...priceless!

Chris

Joe LaMantia
12-08-2012, 09:33 AM
Hiperbiper,

How do you keep all the orange cheeto dust off the mag pages? Have you tried the new spicy red ones? They are really GOOD!

Joe
:eek:

steveinindy
12-08-2012, 10:10 AM
though I pity to poor bas**rd who gets paid to polish that beautiful Lockheed, job security not withstanding!

If they paid me and let me ride in it, I would not be complaining. LOL

Mayhemxpc
12-08-2012, 03:16 PM
Update. Mine came in the mail today. Undamaged. As far as the sweepstakes goes, I would get more use out of the second prize. Now if they offered a P-51...

Hiperbiper
12-08-2012, 09:42 PM
Hiperbiper,

How do you keep all the orange cheeto dust off the mag pages? Have you tried the new spicy red ones? They are really GOOD!

Joe
:eek:
Joe. I tried the red cheetos but went back to the original! For a spicy snack I'm a Nacho Dorito ho'.

As for Cheeto dust I make every effort to not get said orange powder on the mag, my shirt, pants, shoes or socks.
No success in 40 years but I continue to make the effort!

Worst Cheeto dust story:
Three cats in the house; Zues, Hera and Venus. All love an occasional Cheeto. Zeus and Hera are all black and Venus is Black and White. Venus got into a wrestling match with her Cheeto and ended up looking like a Calico for a week!!! Wife swore I did it on purpose.
I didn't but if I'd have thought about it I might have...

Back to the subject; with the exception of the Embraer history (which I enjoyed) I didn't catch a single wiff of kerosene in the whole issue. Likewise the lack of $80K panels and Leather butt-warming seats was noticed and apprecated.

Chri

Thomas Richards
12-10-2012, 07:55 AM
Still waiting for December issue. Didn't even receive November issue :confused:

EDIT(12/12/12): Thanks for getting back to me about this, Andrew Ovans.

steveinindy
12-10-2012, 10:20 AM
....and Leather butt-warming seats was noticed and apprecated

What's wrong with heated seats? Those would be quite nice in winter, early spring or late fall given how poorly insulated (or completely non-insulated) most homebuilts are. I hadn't thought about that for my design so thanks for bringing it up!

Ozzie
12-10-2012, 08:45 PM
I've noticed that my mags have been arriving a lot earlier recently. Seems they are now printed in locally in Australia. Speeds things up a bit. Good thinking EAA.

Frank Giger
12-10-2012, 08:46 PM
December issue arrived today, along with yet another life insurance pitch from another aviation membership group.

I feel quite safe - they keep trying to sucker me into a bet where I say I'll die and they wager I won't.

"You're not going to die horribly in a wreck," they say.
"Oh, yes, I am!" I suddenly find myself replying.
"Ha!" they scoff, "We'll take your 24 bucks against half a million dollars of ours each month as bet. But we won't lose. You won't die horribly in a wreck this month, nor next month. In fact, we're betting you'll live longer than the ten years of coverage, and we'll pocket the cash."
"Er..." I mumble...
"C'mon, take the bet. We're giving you better than 20,000 to one odds that you don't die."

Hiperbiper
12-12-2012, 11:11 PM
What's wrong with heated seats? Those would be quite nice in winter, early spring or late fall given how poorly insulated (or completely non-insulated) most homebuilts are. I hadn't thought about that for my design so thanks for bringing it up!

Steve;
Check out SPAL seat warmers. Same parts used in Lambos and Lotus. Use a relay off the bus with direct battery power to the seats. I think the part # is SP-250 (I used to sell 'em). For what you can do for $300.00 in you airplane they will charge $5000.00 a Beech, EMB, etc.
http://shop.brandondist.com/category.sc?categoryId=5

Chris in Shreveport