PDA

View Full Version : Managing a Chapter Owned Hangar and Shop

pjaffray
11-16-2012, 12:43 PM
I would be interested in hearing from other chapters that have their own shop facilities within their hangar. We are facing some challenges with the management of our shop and the tools. I am curious what other chapters have in place for hangar and/or shop rules. Do you have "Tool Police"? Do you loan out smaller tools for members to take home? How do you track them? If you have rules, how are they enforced?

Any help or advice anyone can provide would be helpful.

Paul Jaffray
Secretary
Chapter 582

Mike Switzer
11-16-2012, 01:37 PM
I don't have any chapter experience, but I did manage a couple of factory maintenance departments. We found if we let people borrow tools we didn't have any problem with tools walking off & not coming back, but every tool that left the tool crib was signed out so we know who had it. We did this both if the tool was leaving the plant or if it was being used for a on site maintenance job. The only people that had keys to the tool crib were me (maintenance engineer), the production shift supervisors, the plant manager & plant superintendent. Whoever unlocked the tool crib was responsible for making sure the tools were signed out & back in when they came back.

Of course, since only employees had access we could have docked their pay if something didn't come back, but that didn't happen. One time a guy had some tools stolen from his truck but we filed a police report and they turned up at the local pawn shop a couple days later.

dusterpilot
11-16-2012, 07:39 PM
We require a tool deposit in the form of a check and the amount of the deposit is equal to the cost of the tool. If it's a $50 tool, the member leaves a $50 check behind. When the tool comes back, we hand them their check back. Free rental. If the tool doesn't come back, we cash their check and buy a new one. We rarely have to cash anyone's check.

alcharlie65
12-11-2012, 01:20 PM
WHAT??? You have and airport authority that allows you to do such things as WORK on AIRPLANES!!! I'm moving tomorrow, Where are you located?

Dave

dusterpilot
12-11-2012, 03:55 PM
WHAT??? You have and airport authority that allows you to do such things as WORK on AIRPLANES!!! I'm moving tomorrow, Where are you located?
Dave
If your airport authority does not allow aircraft owners to work on their own planes, you need to ask them if they receive federal funds for their capital improvements. When they say "yes," ask them if they have read and understand Federal Grant Assurance #22(f), that they must have signed before receiving grant funds which states:

"It will not exercise or grant any right or privilege which operates to prevent any person, firm, or corporation operating aircraft on the airport from performing any services on its own aircraft with its own employees [including, but not limited to maintenance, repair, and fueling] that it may choose to perform."

You may still have to meet some safety and insurance requirements or other restrictions, but that guarantees you the right to work on your own plane.

And I'm at St. Louis Downtown Airport (CPS), almost in the shadow of the Gateway Arch. Come on up. You'll find a friendly airport community.

rleffler
12-11-2012, 05:20 PM

Dave

The only thing that is specifically frowned upon at KDLZ is painting, which is understandable. I'm going on two years of having my RV-10 project at the airport. They are very supportive of Homebuilders.

Bob

alcharlie65
12-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Seriously, we can perform Part 43 owner maintenance but annuals or anything requiring an A&P must be done outside the tee hangar. It's very frustrating. I needed to put my Comanche on jacks to grease the wheel bearings but when I put in an anchor to tie the tail to, they took it out. They said I'd have to use one of the tie downs on the ramp to do that.

DM

rleffler
12-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Seriously, we can perform Part 43 owner maintenance but annuals or anything requiring an A&P must be done outside the tee hangar. It's very frustrating. I needed to put my Comanche on jacks to grease the wheel bearings but when I put in an anchor to tie the tail to, they took it out. They said I'd have to use one of the tie downs on the ramp to do that.

DM

There is more than one way to skin a cat........

I fastened a piece of 3/4" plywood to a harbor freight four wheel Dollie. Installed an eye bolt in the middle, then stacked concrete blocks. Add a ratcheting strap and you're all set to go. It works well with my RV-10.

Here are some photos....

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=rleffler&project=260&category=2217&log=146253&row=19

Bob

dusterpilot
12-12-2012, 10:15 PM
...but annuals or anything requiring an A&P must be done outside the tee hangar.

Unless there is a legitimate safety reason to prevent it (and I can't think of any), annuals or any other maintenance that doesn't create a safety hazard like painting, open fuel tanks, etc., are protected by the grant assurance. You or your employees can do any of that maintenance on your own plane. In order to pass the "employee" test, you must be withholding payroll taxes on the individual. You can't just hire a freelancer for a fee.

alcharlie65
12-13-2012, 06:46 AM
Bob,

I like your roll around. My service manual calls for 350 pounds of weight on the tail. Any idea how many blocks that would be?

Dave

rleffler
12-13-2012, 02:06 PM
Bob,

I like your roll around. My service manual calls for 350 pounds of weight on the tail. Any idea how many blocks that would be?

Dave

Unfortunately, there are too many variables. Go to your local big box aviation store and see what they carry. It took me awhile to find solid compact blocks that were heavier. Standard cinder blocks were too bulky and light.

I actually don't know how much mine weigh. Those eight blocks can keep my io-540 and the nose wheel up in the air all day long. If you can find similar blocks, I don't think you'll have problems, even if you need to stack a few more.

Another option I've see is to get one of those large galvanized wash tubs, bolt it to the dolly, then fill it with some quick-crete. For about $50 you can make something the ACS sells for much more.