PDA

View Full Version : mosquito visit to turbo's pad

turbo
11-15-2012, 06:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppxe1yLwG20&list=UUAD3JMNhU880gWPO4rQK5FA& index=1&feature=plcp

Zack Baughman
11-15-2012, 06:56 PM
​VERY cool!

Check 6
11-15-2012, 07:30 PM
Nice! How about another video of him starting it up on the water? :)

Bob Dingley
11-16-2012, 08:00 PM
Nice! How about another video of him starting it up on the water? :)

Let me guess, you've tried it.

Bob

Check 6
11-16-2012, 09:04 PM
Let me guess, you've tried it.

Bob

No, I haven't had the opportunity as the helos I used to fly have "pop-out" floats, not fixed floats. I have heard the stories of what happens.

Joe LaMantia
11-17-2012, 09:40 AM
Let me guess!...it has something to do with gyroscopic precession. I bet it's fun to watch from the shore, but not so much from on-board, might make for a fun video.

Joe
:cool:

Check 6
11-17-2012, 10:00 AM
Let me guess!...it has something to do with gyroscopic precession. I bet it's fun to watch from the shore, but not so much from on-board, might make for a fun video.

Joe
:cool:

It is a torque issue. As the main rotor blades start spinning the helo starts turning in the opposite direction until there is tail rotor effectiveness.

Bob Dingley
11-17-2012, 11:37 AM
If torque doesn't get you or loss of tail rotor effectiveness at low rpm doesn't get you, translating tendency as rpm builds will.

Picture this: the blade in front is moving to the left (force #1) and the reaction moves the nose right. Blade at the rear (force #2) does the same and moves the tail left. This is a good time to spin up the anti torque rotor on the tail. It produces force #3 and pushes to the right.

Two forces moving the A/C to the right and only one pushing to the left, and all more or less equal means "translating tendency." Its why a helo hovers a little left side low. Friction on the ground prevents any start problems. Lets now move out to the middle of the lake far from obstacles and crank her up. Clear the area. Stand back. She will do about a couple of rotations and when the tail rotor becomes effective, it ends up moving rapidly to the right. Do this with a low time pilot in a confined pond with 10 kts of wind and you can call Avemco. BTW, there is no such thing as a "Helicopter,sea" rating nor a requirement for any log book endorsement. Be afraid.

Bob

Joe LaMantia
11-18-2012, 08:40 AM
Guys,

I totally forgot about the tail end!!! This would be a real handful for a newbie, or a guy who can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

Joe
:rollseyes:

turbo
11-19-2012, 05:37 AM
bob, nice reply to the operation on water issue. come on over to http://www.rotaryforum.com/ with your rotory flight knowledge. lots of action there.

Bob Dingley
11-19-2012, 09:38 PM
Thank you Ed. Will do. They told me that when all forces are equal, you should be flying perfectly.... but they lied! Helicopters are strange critters. You stuff the nose down to take off and add power to land.