PDA

View Full Version : Best GA airport to visit - and why?

mmcgrew
11-02-2012, 04:33 PM
Lets do a happy thread. How about posting your favorite GA, FBO, Hangar visit. Tell us who, what, why and when and people. It will be fun to read about your experience, then making a visit to that airport.

Thanks

Michael

WingsAloft
11-02-2012, 06:34 PM
I like my local FBO at KDAN, located in Danville, in South-central Virginia. The only FBO there has a very creative name: "General Aviation", which is a full service FBO, and even offers flight training by a no-kidding, very experienced CFII. You can see him here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=bUtKcCtJ6uo . This was the very first FBO I ever visited, and I'll never forget seeing my first flight lounge there. (Incidentally, is that something every pilot remembers back when they were a potential flight student, their very first tour of the flight lounge?) Hope you visit there sometime; they've got model planes hanging from the ceiling and friendly folks!

flyingriki
11-09-2012, 08:27 AM
Pretty hard to beat Chino. You can walk around for days peeking in hangars and see just about everything you can imagine.

rosiejerryrosie
11-10-2012, 11:14 AM
For those in the neighborhood, you have to go a long way to beat Penn Valley at Selinsgorve, PA. Friendly, service oriented staff....free coffee and cookies in the Terminal lounge where you can eat and watch runway activity through the large picture window. Pilot's lounge furnished with large screen TV, shower, and leather loungers. Computer Flight planning available, as is major maintenance and flight school.

Flyfalcons
11-10-2012, 12:26 PM
Million Airs have the best lookin' counter girls on average. :)

2VW
11-11-2012, 09:24 PM
Check out KPLU. Pilot/mechanic toy store for hardware and supplies. Great staff, pilot lounge, and loaner car.

Here is a photo of me and my wife with the Spencer Aircraft front counter staff in front of our J3 Cub. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=279535038813640&set=a.279530905480720.48247.134029563364189&type=3&theater

Another great place to go is Sunriver, Or. Great friendly staff, comfortable pilot lounge, with many visitors that come to the airport to watch planes land and takeoff. You can also hop on a free bike and ride in town.

Bill Greenwood
11-12-2012, 10:32 AM
For 2VW, I am sure that your favorite, KPLU is a nice place, but believe it or not, everyone may not know the code for every airport and not have a KLUE what or where KPLU is.

For guessing games my favorite is probably 3V5.

May I also make a safety suggestion, it is not a good practice to have anyone stand in the arc of a prop, even if for a photo, especially not a pretty girl.
Props can kill, even on a Cub, and should be regarded as always dangerous, best to just stay out of their arc, and not let non pilots and especially kids ever get blase around them.

P S real Cubs have wood props!

Flyfalcons
11-12-2012, 11:21 AM
airnav.com is a beautiful thing.

2VW
11-12-2012, 03:42 PM
I thought this was a happy thread. But good points on location and safety: KPLU is located in Puyallup WA also known as Thun Field. Sunriver is located in Oregon. Easiest to put KPLU in your Garmin, Foreflight, IPad as it may not recognize Thun Field as it probably wouldnt recognize Valley Airport later named Fort Collins followed by Downtown Fort Collins otherwise known as K3V5. Now that I was so detailed don't expect me to fill out your flight plan :)

PS Your right the prop is not wood, but The blond next to the prop is a Pilot.

I am new to this forum, but lets Remember Pilots are a dying bread, we should not try to insult the one we have. It is a 1939 Cub with a metal prop, but it flies and we have fun with it.

Bill Greenwood
11-12-2012, 03:57 PM
2VW,
No insult was meant in my post, some of it serious and some in jest, but all in good faith was intended. We need some new folks to this forum and if you start off by posting photos of two good looking things, the Cub and the ladies, then that is really starting on the right foot.

So you are up in rainy country, so maybe that explains the metal prop, as I have been told they may be better when it is wet.

I do like the looks and feel of wood props and that is how they left the factory originally. Mine is a dated Valinetines Day, 1946 and she is a sweetheart. Wood props might be or at least feel a little safer when starting with no electric system like mine is.

As for as me putting something in my "Garmin Foreflight IpAD" etc. , well I barely know what those are, much less how to work them. I maybe, just might be able to put batteries in one. My girlfriend loves techno crap, Apple in particular, and after several years of hearing how great Apple is, I finally bought stock in it and promptly lost about $2500 of value.
I can operate about only slightly more electro techno gadgets than my Cub came with. Fortunetaly it goes slow enough that you aren't likely to get too far lost. But as long as they make sectional charts, I can probably find my way.
A local, (Boulder) CFI friend just ferried a J3 back from Minn, in 2 days for the new owner.

And that was pretty good and knowing that 3V5 was Ft. Collins Downtown, which was a great airport about 50 miles north of Denver, until some slimy developer bought it and closed the runway. He may be going bankrupt so there is some slim hope that it might reopen.
I don't think it ever was or is known as K3V5, though, I think the K only goes with letters like KFNL, which calls itself Ft. Collins Loveland, although it is not in Ft. Collins, sort of like Eagle, EGE likes to call itself Eagle Vail, even though it is not at Vail.
The Aspen airport calls itself Aspen, and it is at Aspen or just on the outskirts, not 20 miles away.
So what was one of my current favorite airports, used to be 1V5?

steveinindy
11-12-2012, 06:02 PM
And that was pretty good and knowing that 3V5 was Ft. Collins Downtown, which was a great airport about 50 miles north of Denver, until some slimy developer bought it and closed the runway. He may be going bankrupt so there is some slim hope that it might reopen.

To be fair, the end of it had a lot to do with the rather unfortunate crash that claimed the life of the owner who I will agree with you ran a great little field. His family (friends of my uncle Ed) tried to sell it as an airport but no one was interested in it from a practical business perspective (there were a lot of folks who wanted to keep it open but the squabbling and lack of coordination crushed the chance of that). While it's not ideal that the runway was closed, it's not just some "slimy" developer who screwed us over. The pilot community out there failed themselves and us. It's just easier to blame it on outsiders rather than to recognize our own shortcomings and the all too frequent lack of willingness to put aside petty differences to ensure a positive outcome. That is probably the most frustrating part of being a community that self-selects for overconfident, Type-A control freaks....

2VW
11-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Let's get back to Happy Thoughts :)

steveinindy
11-12-2012, 07:34 PM
Let's get back to Happy Thoughts :)

Right.

My short list is 3CM (Bay City, MI), KFRH (French Lick, Indiana) and KLOU (Louisville).

RV8505
11-12-2012, 09:44 PM
I love New England Airports! Katama on Martha's vieyard is one of the best.
http://www.biplanemv.com/katama.shtml (http://www.biplanemv.com/katama.shtml)

2VW
11-12-2012, 10:25 PM
I purchased my plane in Kansas and then flew back west. I would love to take two months off hit all these airports. Ahh someday.

steveinindy
11-13-2012, 09:32 AM
I purchased my plane in Kansas and then flew back west. I would love to take two months off hit all these airports. Ahh someday.

You come through Indiana, you're always welcome to meet up with us. I am happy to play tour guide.

Bill Greenwood
11-13-2012, 11:53 AM
Steve, when I refer to the buyer of Ft. Collins airport, ( not Loveland) as a slimy developer, I think I am being pretty accurate, based on my being a customer and visitor to that airport since 1983 when I started going there for service.

When one of the owners was killed, sadly in the accident, there were other lessor owners, I think, though I am not sure about this.
In any case even well after his loss, the airport was operating fully and seemed to be doing well.
There were two flight schools there, two general repair shops, an engine building shop, the FBO fuel service, and two major restoration shops the specialized in vintage and especially warbird planes.
I have seen some of the finest warbirds anywhere in the USA there, Jap Zero, a number of Mustangs, 2 original Me 109 with Diamler engines, DC-3, 3 Spitfires, Collings B-24 and B-17. By the way Collings did rides out of there even on the 4000 foot runway, and I got to fly it about 20 minutes including a pass over the lake west of there to many cheers and waves from the boaters below. The excellent restoration of the Oshkosh post WW II winner Fairey Firefly owned by Capt. Eddie was done there, and as was the Hurricane owned by Lone Star Flight Museum in Galveston that was Osh winning quality. The rare exp Allison engine P-51 that is in the EAA museum was done there and several T-28 and P-51s were prepared there and then flown across the Atlantic.

It was a happy and friendly little airport, not harming anyone and brought customers like me to the nearby restaurants and motel a short walk away or in town.

Then along comes the lawyer from Denver who buys it and first runs out the low income folks living in the new subdivision just on the north side. Then he closes the runway and almost everyone has to leave, The shop I use is still there, and one or two others.

He has never redeveloped it, and I have heard that he does not have the money. But he dug a strip out of one end of the runway just to be a jackass and now a truck driving school uses it.

There are many other places that he could have bought and messed up while ignoring the wishes of the people who had used it for many years, he did not have to ruin this gem of a small airport.
But money talks and the greed for it screams.

I know local people there that would love to own and operate the airport but don't have the funds for that.

aerobull
11-13-2012, 02:05 PM
the best for me "castellon" in Spain.

Sun, beach and "paella".
http://www.aeroclubcastellon.com/

http://morvedreliberal.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/paella_valenciana_hecha-a-lena-sagunto-valencia-morvedre-estivella-torres-torres.jpg

2VW
11-13-2012, 05:43 PM
Steveinindy I hope to take you up on that one of these days. My son races flat track so he heads east a lot.

Aerobull that looks pretty tasty!

RickFE
11-13-2012, 06:05 PM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM...paella!

steveinindy
11-13-2012, 06:52 PM
Steve, when I refer to the buyer of Ft. Collins airport, ( not Loveland) as a slimy developer, I think I am being pretty accurate, based on my being a customer and visitor to that airport since 1983 when I started going there for service.

When one of the owners was killed, sadly in the accident, there were other lessor owners, I think, though I am not sure about this.

Ah. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle since I was just reporting what my uncle told me and he used to fly through there all the time visiting his family in the area (he lived down in Marana, AZ).

steveinindy
11-13-2012, 06:53 PM
the best for me "castellon" in Spain.

Sun, beach and "paella".
http://www.aeroclubcastellon.com/

http://morvedreliberal.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/paella_valenciana_hecha-a-lena-sagunto-valencia-morvedre-estivella-torres-torres.jpg

We have a winner. Wow...time to show that to my fiancee and see if we can go there on our honeymoon!

Frank Giger
11-13-2012, 07:25 PM
What? You haven't locked her in yet, Steve?

steveinindy
11-13-2012, 07:29 PM
What? You haven't locked her in yet, Steve?

We have pretty much everything set except the honeymoon. We are trying to toss around a few options. Suggestions are welcomed. LOL

Also, if anyone is up for a "missing man" formation pass over the ceremony, I would like to talk to you. LOL

Bob Dingley
11-13-2012, 07:47 PM
I've got a couple of favorites. When I was stationed in Texas, I often volunteered for a run down to San Antonio once a week in a trainer. I always took a Flight Surgeon along because they need their 4 hours of stick time every month too. There was a pretty much deserted airfield halfway called Brownwood, (KBWD). The WW2 vintage hangar was jam packed with P-51s, Canadian Sabers and P-38s. The P-51s still had their central American markings (and central American mud caked on) One white P-38 had "Scatterbrained kid" on the nose. There were pictures from the set of Battle of Britain in the lobby. One of Lefty Gardiner dressed like Adolph Galand. The door was always open and it was always deserted. KBWD was always a hit with the Flight Surgeons.

Later, I enjoyed stopping at the terminal building at New Orleans Lakefront (KNEW). It was impressive Art Decco with murals done by WPA. There was a decent restraunt off the terminal and I got away with parking in the US Customs hot spot. I usualy stopped at MillionAir across runway 09/27. Those gals had a great attitude despite getting the FBO wiped out by a hurricane.

I was always going into New.Orleans. International (KMSY) It replaced KNEW with the airlines after WW2 when Richard Moisant donated his stock yards in Kenner so that the town could build a new airport. The ID stands for "Moisant Stock Yards." Its now named after Lois Armstrong. I once refered to it in a hurried moment as Don King International, but approach cleared me in without comment. Years ago the 2 FBOs on the west ramp were General Aviation and Transit Aviation. General Avn had snooze rooms. Both had crawfish in season. My passengers liked me taking them into Transit because the mgr recruited his customer service reps right off Bourbon St. They all fit a profile. Blonde, 6 ft tall, amazingly attractive and dumb as a box of rocks. However they were all world class dancers. Or so they said.They didn't seem to dress down all that much when they worked at the airport. I guess they headed for the "quarter" when their airport shift was over. Eventualy they moved both FBOs to the new North ramp. Transit was sold to Signature and General became Atlantic. They both still have cookies and the Saints still fly out of there.

Its fairly routine now compared to going in there during Katrina. The controllers are first class.

Bob Dingley
11-13-2012, 08:32 PM
You always forget a few. A few years ago I was on an overly complex charter that required me to shut down at Wink, Texas for a few hours. Neat field. Once a B-29 training field, There was only a one man, one dog FBO. He built ultralights and could dish you up chili and a burger. He had 100LL and JetA. Roy Orbinson is the towns favorite son and there is a big blow out every June. I always liked Rockland, Maine for the scenery. My Champ took me there a lot.

Bob Dingley
11-13-2012, 08:52 PM
Forgot Old Rhinebeck Aerdorome.

martymayes
11-13-2012, 10:15 PM
Houma, Louisiana (HUM). Home of Charlie Hammonds Air Service. If you like FBO's with a lot of history and character, this is it. Some of the coolest aviation photos ever shot hanging on the walls. I guess people today would believe they are all photoshopped, like the pic from Apollo 8 of the earth as they came around the backside of the moon, signed by Borman, Lovell and Anders. Charlie Hammonds taught Corky Fornoff how to fly, and at one time ran an airline from his humble FBO. Son Ricky was USN Top Gun and in the movie of the same name flying the F-5 "Mig" call sign Ricky 'Organ' Hammonds.

While the airport is nothing special now, KLFT and the "old" Paul Fournet FBO would take a close second. Revis Sirmon and Paul owned the P-38 named "Scatterbrain Kid" N38LL, named after Revis' WWII P-38. The airplane crashed during landing at the LFT airport in 1974, killing the pilot, George Harper. The wreckage was dismantled and stored for several yrs then in the early '80's it was taken to San Marcos, TX and reincarnated into "Scatterbrain Kid II." In 1994 the plane crashed at the 1994 Breckenridge, TX airshow. It's now belongs to Paul Allen's Flying Heritage Collection in WA and hopefully is being restored. Bob, one day you may get to see it again.

aerobull
11-14-2012, 05:38 AM
We have a winner. Wow...time to show that to my fiancee and see if we can go there on our honeymoon!

Hello steveinindy

If you come from honeymoon to Spain and Portugal ... I recommend you and interesting places to impress your wife.http://eaaforums.org/images/icons/wink.gif
http://eaaforums.org/images/icons/icon14.pngbeaches, mountains, food, historic cities ....

saludos

Bob Dingley
11-14-2012, 10:53 AM
Marty, you just brought back the memories. I worked out of KHUM for years. Knew Charlie but not his son. I do remember the day Ricky made several low passes in an F-14 (in AB) and then departed verticaly. All done safely and to the highest standards. I recall Hammonds Air Lines. He used a Chieftan. One of his pilots came to work for my outfit after he shut it down. Charlie was the go to guy for a float check out at his SP base on the ICW.

I met Corky a few times. He would put on spur of the moment airshows in the BD5J on sundays before the tower was built. Fournet's at KLFT was a frequent stop for me and I liked the many pictures of P-38s on the wall. The big NASA shot is an eye catcher.

Another favorite was Flying Tiger field in Paris, TX. We were cruising through the area 5 or 6 months ago and deviated and let down to take a look. Looks deserted compared to years ago. The P-51, F4F, B-17, FG-1 and all the Catch 22 B-25s that were parked on the west ridge are gone. The Martin 404 is still parked blocking the RW. I guess the Rev is no longer with us. Lots of good memories there.

mmcgrew
11-17-2012, 07:13 PM
Great thread. I hope to visit some of these places. I also like the idea of using codes in place of names. fun to look up. My vote
0M2 (hint TN). 3500' runway. Not a thing there. No service. No fuel. no people. However, One of the best and unique natural areas in the U.S. Fantastic Bald Eagle population. Great water area. You might want to read about how this lake was formed. Walk to Boyette's Resort. Restaurant has The best southern fried catfish along with frog legs and quail.

steveinindy
11-17-2012, 07:19 PM
Hello steveinindy

If you come from honeymoon to Spain and Portugal ... I recommend you and interesting places to impress your wife.http://eaaforums.org/images/icons/wink.gif
http://eaaforums.org/images/icons/icon14.pngbeaches, mountains, food, historic cities ....

saludos

Thank you for the suggestion! I will keep it in mind.

NXK
11-18-2012, 06:41 AM
Ceday Key, FL is a good one. A woman in a taxi van monitors 122.90 and will ask if you need a ride into town!

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KCDK

Landing at Catalina Island is a guaranteed adventure if it's your first time. Incredible scenery and a nice restaurant, too.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KAVX

2VW
11-18-2012, 11:20 AM
NXK. Catalina is on my list. Unfortuantley my plane was down during this summer or I would have made the trip already. Any input once I arrive let me know.

2VW
11-18-2012, 11:51 AM
Here is one of many Utube videos of someone flying into Catalina airport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30Mv5TJAiK8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

NXK
11-18-2012, 02:06 PM
Just be prepared to hit your brakes at the top of the hill and then realize that you are only at midfield (just like everyone else:)

Also, the guy in the "tower" will want $25. I think it goes to airport preservation so it's a good cause. Unfortunatley my GoPro camera battery died on the way in so I did not get a video. My buddy in his VariEze did though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmF7K3FYnSA&feature=plcp

NXK. Catalina is on my list. Unfortuantley my plane was down during this summer or I would have made the trip already. Any input once I arrive let me know.

2VW
11-18-2012, 10:01 PM
Where would you recommend staying, eating etc at Catalina?

NXK
11-21-2012, 03:09 AM
I did not take the bus into Avalon but I will next time. So, I cannot recommend any particular places. My mistake was thinking that I just wanted to stay for an hour or so.

Here's another...I don't care for fishing but the scenery is great!

Gastons Airport, Lakeview, AR...

http://www.airnav.com/airport/3M0

Where would you recommend staying, eating etc at Catalina?

mmcgrew
11-21-2012, 07:49 AM
I did not take the bus into Avalon but I will next time. So, I cannot recommend any particular places. My mistake was thinking that I just wanted to stay for an hour or so.

Here's another...I don't care for fishing but the scenery is great!

Gastons Airport, Lakeview, AR...

http://www.airnav.com/airport/3M0

Many years ago I caught a 5# Rainbow Trout from one of the streams that feeds Bull Shoals. Very scenic area.

2VW
11-21-2012, 11:59 PM
Let's plan a trip to Avalon!

NXK
11-22-2012, 05:05 PM
I'd love to but AVX is 1727 NM from my home airport...;)

Let's plan a trip to Avalon!

steveinindy
11-22-2012, 09:16 PM
I'd love to but AVX is 1727 NM from my home airport...;)

I'm not going to let that stop me. I just need to finish my build and I'm going to use it as part of my "expanded flight testing" along with Leadville, CO. LOL