PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Mr. Pelton

danielfindling
10-24-2012, 04:00 PM
Wishing you success in you new role as EAA chairman.

Daniel Findling

martymayes
10-24-2012, 04:15 PM
As I read it, Jack Pelton is only filling in until the vacancy is permanently filled. Not really a recipe for success.

Hal Bryan
10-24-2012, 06:00 PM
Jack was elected by the board as Chairman, which is a 3 year term, with an option for a 3 year extension. He is not the CEO.

MEdwards
10-24-2012, 06:12 PM
He is not the CEO.But Mr. Pelton is acting President and CEO in the interim, is he not? That's what the EAA.org web page says. Some message subject on another board called him "interim chairman" and that's wrong.

Does anybody know how long Mr. Pelton has been on the Board of Directors before it just created the postion of Chairman and elected him to it?
EDIT: Nevermind, I see he was elected last February.

Hal Bryan
10-24-2012, 06:58 PM
To the best of my knowledge, there has always been a position on the board titled Chairman. I don't know where you got the idea that it was just created, but that's simply not true.

Jim Clark
10-24-2012, 10:02 PM
Wishing you success in you new role as EAA chairman.

Daniel Findling
Thank you Daniel for trying to say something positive. We need more positive wishes and support for everyone steering EAA no matter what their titles.

steveinindy
10-24-2012, 10:35 PM
Thank you Daniel for trying to say something positive. We need more positive wishes and support for everyone steering EAA no matter what their titles.

Exactly. I hope he is successful and he has my respect for having the cajones to take on that position. I would not want it because of the bickering and grousing between the membership as divided along arbitrary lines of interest.

rwanttaja
10-25-2012, 08:42 AM
The discussions regarding Jack Pelton are all too similar to the political attacks we see during this election season. "He lied about having an engineering degree!" "Ummm... well, he HAS an engineering degree, but it's from a non-accredited college!" "He was investigated by 60 Minutes!" "Oh, well, maybe not...."

It's all a matter of...pardon the pun.... degree. If he had attempted to get a job *as an engineer*, I'd be concerned. But that's not my understanding. He apparently stated "I have a degree in engineering from Diplomamill University" while angling for the CEO job. If he'd been applying for an engineering job, he probably would have been laughed at, but if all he said was that he had an engineering degree, he was 100% truthful. Having a "real" engineering degree was apparently *not* a requirement for the CEO job, otherwise Cessna would have booted him.

A good comparison is someone who has a white lab coat with "Dr. Jones" embroidered on the front. If he uses it to pick up women in bars, that's one thing. But if he dispenses medical advice and hands out medicine samples, that's something totally different. I *am* an engineer, and am more amused by Pelton's actions than offended. I've considered getting a diploma mill divinity degree, just for giggles.

I think Pelton is a good choice for the interim leader. Yes, he's the former CEO of a "jet company," but he is a pilot and has owned classic aircraft. Best of luck to him....

Ron Wanttaja

Hank
10-25-2012, 09:09 AM
And here I thought Cessna was still making 172s, 182s, 20-somethings, etc., all equipped with spinny things on the front and no compressors, hot sections, etc. In other words, Cessna makes jet AND Propellor planes. All the planes I've ever sat in the front seat of have had propellers, many of them had "Cessna" painted on the side, so what is the conflict?

Welcome aboard, Mr. New Leader. Good luck herding the large group of cats called "members."

Frank Giger
10-25-2012, 09:59 AM
Be sure to draw the complete set of protective gear from supply. The torso armor and helmet are vital, but be sure to take due care and dilligence when fitting for the cup; I suspect it will be the most valuable of things to wear in your new position.

MEdwards
10-25-2012, 11:15 AM
To the best of my knowledge, there has always been a position on the board titled Chairman. I don't know where you got the idea that it was just created, but that's simply not true.Hal, perhaps I misinterpreted the EAA's press release, but if so it was an honest mistake. The EAA said:

"October 24, 2012 - The EAA board of directors created a new chairman of the board position and on Sunday elected Jack Pelton to fill that role. Jack is the first formally elected non-executive chairman in the history of EAA."

I was surprised to read that, as I interpreted it, but it doesn't matter. It's completely incidental to the issue at hand. And I was attacking no one. From what I have heard it sounds like Mr. Pelton is a good fit as director, chairman of the board of directors, and interim CEO. I wish him well.

Hal Bryan
10-25-2012, 11:56 AM
Hal, perhaps I misinterpreted the EAA's press release, but if so it was an honest mistake. The EAA said:

"October 24, 2012 - The EAA board of directors created a new chairman of the board position and on Sunday elected Jack Pelton to fill that role. Jack is the first formally elected non-executive chairman in the history of EAA."

Oh... the answer to my question about where you got "that idea" couldn't be answered any more clearly, could it? :eek:

Mea culpa, MEdwards - I hadn't seen that release when I replied to your post last night, so I'm really sorry for the mixed messages! (If we had an emoticon of the little yellow pilot guy falling on a sword, I'd insert that here...)

While I confess to still being a little bit confused by the wording in the release, here's what I know: When Tom P. retired, Louie Andrew was appointed by the board to the position of Chairman, and served in that capacity until his retirement a couple of months ago.

When he retired, the position of Chairman still existed, but it wasn't occupied. This past weekend, Jack was elected to the position - and here's where we start splitting hairs: the position was modified from a governance perspective to encompass a three-year-term, and a two-term limit. That may have meant, technically, creating a new Chairman position, but that goes beyond my layperson's understanding of Robert's Rules and all that.

My comment was based on the fact that Paul, Tom, and Louie all held the title of Chairman of the Board, so I "knew" that this wasn't a newly created position.

While I should have looked around more before posting last night, personally, I think the release we put out is unnecessarily confusing and could have been worded better, and I won't be surprised to see an update at some point.

Regardless, my apologies again for correcting you unnecessarily and prematurely, and to everyone else for the added confusion.

It's just been that kind of week...

MEdwards
10-25-2012, 12:42 PM
Yup, I suspect it's been quite a week. No swords, please. As I said, it's really incidental, but I thought it was somewhat interesting. I speculated (that word) to myself only that perhaps Paul and Tom were so obviously the head of the organization, both executive and board, that no formal chairman position was necessary. But now with a change in leadership, and then another change, more explicit leadership was called for. That makes perfect sense to me. But really, I know nothing.

Thanks for keeping us informed.

Mike

Ron Blum
10-25-2012, 07:47 PM
EAA is sport aviation, and it started with Paul's "Can Do" attitude. It's an organization that is about aviation education and getting to fly more economically and with more freedoms. If people look at the history of EAA, Paul used his military resources well to meet with people across the nation ... an F-86 is not a homebuilt. Tom was then our leader for many, many years, too. The two men are very different people but both did a great job for the progress of EAA, and both were the right people at the right time.

If WE now spend all of our time wishing for the good old days, we will surely be turned the wrong direction to see where the next generation can take us!

MEdwards
10-30-2012, 02:02 PM
There's a link here (http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=35195321-2efb-4804-afd4-5d6277327d43) to an interview with Jack Pelton a few days after he was named Chairman of the Board of EAA and its interim CEO.

Now before anybody screams, these are extended exerpts from an interview he did with Jim Campbell of Aero News Network. That's an instant turn-off for many people, and can lead to mile-long threads about Mr. Campbell. But the fact is, he got the interview, and if you'd like to hear what Mr. Pelton thinks in his own words, for now this is the place.

On the whole, I was very pleased with what I heard.

danielfindling
10-30-2012, 04:02 PM
There's a link here (http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=35195321-2efb-4804-afd4-5d6277327d43) to an interview with Jack Pelton a few days after he was named Chairman of the Board of EAA and its interim

I hope every member who has complained about EAA listens to this interview. Mr. Pelton came across credible, with focus, clarity and direction to fix what is broke. He gave attention to most of the concerns raised on this message board and I liked what I heard.

The ad hoc / ad hominem comments about Mr Pelton do nothing to help EAA. To loosely paraphrase John Lennon "all I am saying is give (Pelton) a chance"

Daniel Findling

rwanttaja
10-30-2012, 07:49 PM
There's a link here to an interview with Jack Pelton a few days after he was named Chairman of the Board of EAA and its interim CEO...On the whole, I was very pleased with what I heard.
And if you found a re-run of an interview Rod Hightower gave right after HE took over, you'd probably say the same thing.

But I'm feeling pretty good about Pelton, especially after finding out he'd helped his father building a homebuilt, and that his father had been a member of EAA Chapter 1. He's got the right background.

However, keep in mind... he *is* just interim.

Ron Wanttaja

Harry Fenton
10-31-2012, 10:11 AM
I was just at EAA HQ, and there is a clear feeling of relief that Hightower has moved on. As far as Pelton goes, he has a much more tangible and obvious connection to sport aviation than Hightower had from the day he became president. If nothing else, Pelton has been handed a blueprint for what not to do.

martymayes
10-31-2012, 10:27 AM
However, keep in mind... he *is* just interim.

Leading to the big question: "Who would be 'right' to lead EAA?"

MEdwards
10-31-2012, 11:25 AM
However, keep in mind... he *is* just interim.A commenter on another board observed that Mr. Pelton was "cagey" about whether he'd try for the permanent CEO position. I've observed it's often problematic when an organization promotes an interim leader to permanent.

Leading to the big question: "Who would be 'right' to lead EAA?"Who, indeed, but I don't think a couple hundred thousand spent on an executive search company is going to find him/her. I hope the board does not go that route.

Also, I hope they take their time. With an apparently competent interim leader, what's the hurry? I'd like to see Mr. Pelton in charge through next year's Oshkosh. By then everybody should be able to decide whether they think he's the right person for the job--and the board will have had time to consider lots of candidates.

Joe LaMantia
10-31-2012, 03:27 PM
Hey Hal!,

Given the recent turmoil in Oshkosh and all the abuse laid out on various threads, is there an actual job description and necessary experience requirements for the job of leading EAA? We've got a whole lot of guys out there that would like somebody who has re-built a Cub and flies it off his grass farm strip. That is pretty kool, but may not be a good choice for leading 160K people with big ego's...a pre-requisite for a pilot license.

Joe
:cool:

Hal Bryan
10-31-2012, 03:54 PM
Joe - As far as I know, nothing has been posted anywhere at this point. I suspect that it's something that that the Board (or a subcommittee thereof) will be developing in the coming weeks. In the meantime... have you ever re-built a Cub? ;)

Dave Stadt
10-31-2012, 10:05 PM
Hey Hal!,

Given the recent turmoil in Oshkosh and all the abuse laid out on various threads, is there an actual job description and necessary experience requirements for the job of leading EAA? We've got a whole lot of guys out there that would like somebody who has re-built a Cub and flies it off his grass farm strip. That is pretty kool, but may not be a good choice for leading 160K people with big ego's...a pre-requisite for a pilot license.

Joe
:cool:

Rod Hightower restored a Stearman and flew it off turf runways. Can't say that turned very well.

Joe LaMantia
11-01-2012, 07:18 AM
Hal,

No, other than model airplanes as kid I've only done a little basic maintenance on club airplanes. I did take the introductory SportAir course in Oshkosh with Ron Alexander back in the 90's. While I'd love to own and fly a homebuilt I know myself well enough to keep my focus on flying not building. I only used that Cub line to show the contrast within our membership regarding needs vs expectations. In the end, the board will have to decide and of course there will be some segments of the membership that will gripe. We as pilots have been lucky enough to see the world in a broader perspective than most of the population, we need to step back and understand that we're seeing historical change sweeping across the globe and its' impacts are not well understood. It's natural to resent change and going "tribal" is not a new reaction for mankind.

EAA is just one tree in a small woods, the whole forest is changing around us, and it will take some time for things to become clear.

Joe
:confused:

WeaverJ3Cub
11-02-2012, 08:16 PM
Also, I hope they take their time. With an apparently competent interim leader, what's the hurry? I'd like to see Mr. Pelton in charge through next year's Oshkosh. By then everybody should be able to decide whether they think he's the right person for the job--and the board will have had time to consider lots of candidates.

Good thinking, MEdwards. I like that.