PDA

View Full Version : Driver's license medical for Rec certificate

RBaptist
09-11-2012, 08:57 PM
Hello everyone,
any new news on the proposal to allow a Driver's license to be used as a medical for the rec license? It was big news several months back, but it seems that information has dried up (at least from what I've seen). :confused:

Just curious if things are progressing.

dewi8095
09-12-2012, 05:58 AM
The comment period was extended at AOPA/EAA request. Comments now close 9/15/12, I believe. No other news that I have seen.

Don

Tom Charpentier
09-12-2012, 12:23 PM
The extended comment period ends on Friday. If you would like to comment and have not already, please follow this link: http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=FAA-2012-0350-0001. Once the comment period ends we estimate that it will take the FAA 4-6 months to make a ruling. Just as a note, the exemption would apply to any pilot flying recreationally under the provisions of the proposal, not just pilots holding recreational certificates.

RBaptist
09-12-2012, 08:24 PM
Good news! Thanks for the replies. I actually just saw the EAA post on the website. There was a TON of info being sent out/pushed several months back and then it just got really quiet.

I've commented already - in full support of this. As a current Sport Pilot - I think this proposal fills a gap that still exists in getting people into aviation as LSAs are still relatively hard to find as rentals. This opens the door to C150/C172 aircraft and the like which are still readily available.

Really hope this is approved!

jam0552@msn.com
01-03-2013, 07:11 PM
Now that Huerta has been confirmed as FAA Administrator and we have new leadership in the EAA, can anyone give us a timeline on the drivers license medical exemption proposal? They have had 4 months to consider it. I haven't heard anything from EAA or AOPA lately on the proposal. We need to keep attention focused on this issue.
-Joel Marketello

FlyingRon
01-04-2013, 07:37 AM
The administrator was never the issue. Other people were pulling the strings and frankly the reason the EAA/AOPA even started this is they realized the political climate had changed slightly for the better.

dewi8095
01-04-2013, 08:59 AM
Now that Huerta has been confirmed as FAA Administrator and we have new leadership in the EAA, can anyone give us a timeline on the drivers license medical exemption proposal? They have had 4 months to consider it. I haven't heard anything from EAA or AOPA lately on the proposal. We need to keep attention focused on this issue.
-Joel Marketello

The aviation-related media has not reported anything on this issue recently that I have seen. See, however, the below thread on the POA forum and note post #5.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54662&highlight=exemption+3rd+class

Still lots of negativity about granting the exemption in the above thread, but it seems to me that if the FAA were to reject it out right we won't have to wait much longer. On the other hand, a long consideration period may result in some FAA concessions.

Don