PDA

View Full Version : metal floating nut plate

txkmeb
09-10-2012, 03:15 PM
I would like to install a number of metal floating nut plates. However, I am not man enough to screw in or out the screws into the nut plates. I tried to round out the hole the screw threads into with a pair of channel locks. It helps some but not much. Whats the trick?

nrpetersen
09-10-2012, 03:18 PM
Put a very tiny amount of anti-seize on the thread inside diameter. Be careful you don't get ANY on the screw head as it will make your driver cam out. It will also help minimize thread corrosion

martymayes
09-10-2012, 03:23 PM
Whats the trick?

The locking feature is by design. If you're happy with damaging your nutplates, run a plug tap through them. You'll be able to run the screws in/out with your fingers. And most will probably fall out during service. Kinda defeats the purpose.

Have you tried a power screwdriver?

WLIU
09-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Is there any chance that you are trying to put a 10-32 screw into an 8-32 nut plate? Easy to try, hard to do....

A properly sized screw should go into a nut plate without great effort.

Best of luck,

Wes
N78PS

nrpetersen
09-10-2012, 08:37 PM
Another quick way to wear in a number of nutplates is to use a power drill w a hex key to drive the appropriate set screw through all the nut plates. Sorta wears things in.

txkmeb
09-11-2012, 07:05 AM
Thanks nrpetersen and wliu ...... this is the kind of help I was looking for.

RV8505
09-11-2012, 09:45 AM
I would like to install a number of metal floating nut plates. However, I am not man enough to screw in or out the screws into the nut plates. I tried to round out the hole the screw threads into with a pair of channel locks. It helps some but not much. Whats the trick?

OH, I just had this problem! I couldn't get my screws into my 6-632 nut plates. I don't know why but they seem much tighter than 8/32 nutplates. An experienced airline and homebuilder guy with many builds under his wing told me to run a 6/32 tap into the nut plates. That info was wrong! They were pretty darn loose after tapping and looked like they could back out with vibration. Anyway, Somebody told me about Boelube. YA YA YA. I thought it was total B.S. It tried one screw dry and I couldn't get it in without stripping it. I another with some Boelube on it and it slipped right in. You learn something new every day. Get some and give it a try I think you will be happy with it.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/boelube.php