PDA

View Full Version : Experimenter - The first issue of the new digital magazine is live now!

Hal Bryan
09-05-2012, 03:38 PM
Click to view and subscribe, if you're not already a subscriber:

http://images.eaa.org/experimenter/1209_cover_flat.jpg (http://www.eaa.org/experimenter/)

RV8505
09-05-2012, 03:53 PM
Very nice Chad and Mary!!!

Bill
09-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Wonderful! This is what we've been missing.

One question. Where are the ads? This would be a great place for Aircraft Spruce, Wicks, kit manufacturers, etc. to advertise to those who are really interested in their wares.

Chad Jensen
09-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Very nice Chad and Mary!!!Thank you!! It was a long road to get here...now we start over on October!
Wonderful! This is what we've been missing.One question. Where are the ads? This would be a great place for Aircraft Spruce, Wicks, kit manufacturers, etc. to advertise to those who are really interested in their wares.We'll get there...a launch with house ads is how we'll run for a few issues, but we will pursue the opportunities for everyone. Thanks Bill!

Eric Page
09-05-2012, 04:59 PM
Devoured! Nice work.

One suggestion. You can safely delete the "Flightline" section. It seems that almost every aviation magazine covers the same dozen or so news stories. If I were editing Experimenter, I wouldn't bother covering them yet again. I had already seen every item on those two pages.

MickYoumans
09-05-2012, 06:12 PM
This is awesome to see EAA getting out a magazine that gets back to it's roots. There has been a lot of complaints about where the Sport Aviation magazine had been heading. This is great since it will be directly targeting the experimental home built crowd. I have been an EAA member for many years, but since I fly a 'spam can' I was not very vocal about the direction the magazine was headed. I still loved following the experimentals and I prefered the magazines I got back in the 80's. A friend of mine built a T18 back in the 80's that I helped buck a few rivets on, so it was neat seeing an article on a T18. Two thumbs up!

Mike Switzer
09-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Looks good.

RV8505
09-05-2012, 11:07 PM
Thank you!! It was a long road to get here...now we start over on October! We'll get there...a launch with house ads is how we'll run for a few issues, but we will pursue the opportunities for everyone. Thanks Bill!

I really like to see all of the pictures like in the B-17 article.. You would never get that many in Sport Aviation even in the old magazine! It really shows the detail!
http://www.eaa.org/apps/galleries/gallery.aspx?ID=487

Jim Hann
09-06-2012, 12:25 AM
Beautiful! Keep up the great work!

cluttonfred
09-06-2012, 02:25 AM
A great start, the is exactly the kind of content that seems to get shortchanged in most issues of Sport Aviation. I look forward to downloading it to my iPad to read cover to cover.

kmacht
09-06-2012, 05:59 AM
Love the content. Any chance it might be available in print instead of just digital in the future? I'll take what I can get but personally I dislike reading things on the computer. I would much rather pull out a copy while eating breakfast or when I need some down time in the shop. It also makes it harder to pass along to kids or neighbors that might be getting interested in avation. It would be great if you could have the option of getting either experimental or sport aviation with your eaa membership like it used to be with sport aviation and light sport (or whatever it used to be called). Either that or maybe offer it in print for an extra yearly fee.

Keith

Todd copeland
09-06-2012, 06:59 AM
Love it. Am I missing something? I can't seem to download it to save on my iPad.

Mike Switzer
09-06-2012, 07:28 AM
Love it. Am I missing something? I can't seem to download it to save on my iPad.

I had to hunt for it - there are some funny little icons across the top, one of them to the right side if you hold your mouse over it 2 more funny little icons appear below it, one of the 2 if you hold your mouse over it text will pop up that says save article (or something like that)

This is one complaint, change the icons to something that is recognizable, like a image of a floppy disk like most programs use for "save"

rv8bldr
09-06-2012, 07:34 AM
Excellent. I'll be looking forward to this every month!

tonycondon
09-06-2012, 03:54 PM
enjoyed the magazine.

you should do an article on Dick Butler's Concordia. It doesn't get much more experimental than that...

http://soaringcafe.com/2011/01/concordia-supersegler/

rwanttaja
09-06-2012, 04:52 PM
Devoured! Nice work.

One suggestion. You can safely delete the "Flightline" section. It seems that almost every aviation magazine covers the same dozen or so news stories. If I were editing Experimenter, I wouldn't bother covering them yet again. I had already seen every item on those two pages.
I suspect it's a "freebie" section...all the writing and formating are done for other publications, and it's easy to bring in. A suggestion might be to move it to the end, rather than the beginning.

But good job, Chad and Mary...really enjoyed it!

Ron Wanttaja

Joda
09-06-2012, 06:44 PM
I haven't had a chance to read much of it yet, but did "page" through it. Looks very nice indeed. And I was very happy to see that it didn't use up very much of my meager satellite internet download limit either! That's definitely a bonus! I'm going to try to get a chance to read it thoroughly this weekend. Looking forward to it!!

N404CX
09-06-2012, 10:18 PM
Let's not forget to thank Pat Panzera for all his work on the previous version of The Experimenter.

Way to go Pat!

cluttonfred
09-07-2012, 12:05 AM
To follow up on my initial comments, I am very impressed with this first issue of Experimenter though sad that such content is not already at the heart of the paper SPORT AVIATION. I was going to point out the issue with saving a PDF file when viewing from a mobile device (iPad), but I see that Mike Switzer has already pointed out a solution so I'll try that.

One question...will there be a section for letters from readers in upcoming issues? If so, I'll get to work on mine as I loved the article on classic homebuilts celebrating 50 years in the sky but you forgot one near and dear to my heart which. like the Thorpe T-18, celebrates it's 50th anniversary in 2013....Eric Clutton's FRED!

cluttonfred.info (http://cluttonfred.info/)
www.facebook.com/cluttonfred (http://www.facebook.com/cluttonfred)

cluttonfred
09-07-2012, 12:54 PM
Like Todd, I still can't seem to download it to my iPad. I think Mike's success is while using a computer, not a mobile device, which shows a different interface. If there is no way to do so from the mobile interface, it would be handy to include a direct link to the PDF in the issue announcement email.

RV8505
09-07-2012, 02:08 PM
Just Brainstorming!

I see you have allot of blank pages in the back.. What if you took advertisements from anybody aviation related and put them in the back for free. It wouldn't cost much as it is digital. Of course something special for all the people in sport aviation that pay to advertise but something for the cottage builder that needs a little help along to get a business going. A Clearing house of vendors kind of like rivet bangers http://www.rivetbangers.com/BuilderResources.shtml with a touch of trade a plane.. One stop shopping and maybe part of the deal is that have them do a article with pictures for the magazine which would lessen your load. You have to contribute something to be part of it. Not necessarily cash but maybe demonstrations on your road shows or Oshkosh. Something like the world aviation directory for homebuilt aircraft parts etc.. I know it is a lot of dynamics to think about but it is exciting.

Mike Switzer
09-07-2012, 03:37 PM
I'm on a PC. Apple is EVIL!!! Only college professors & pot smokin hippies use Apple.

(and according to my sister, who is a college professor, many of her colleagues belong to both groups) :D