PDA

View Full Version : Lycoming O-145 opinions?

MadisonPilot
08-25-2012, 07:25 AM
Hello,I'm considering a purchase that was recently restored a few years ago and has a Lycoming O-145 that was also overhauled at the same time.Opinions seem to vary about the O-145 these days, but mostly from people who haven't ever owned or worked on one. From those who have, any negative or positive comments, opinions or suggestions?Thanks,Ryan in Madison, WI

Aaron Novak
08-25-2012, 04:13 PM
Hello,I'm considering a purchase that was recently restored a few years ago and has a Lycoming O-145 that was also overhauled at the same time.Opinions seem to vary about the O-145 these days, but mostly from people who haven't ever owned or worked on one. From those who have, any negative or positive comments, opinions or suggestions?Thanks,Ryan in Madison, WI

Hi Ryan,
I personally do not own one, however a co-worker of mine does in a J3. He did his own restoration/overhaul of the engine which included manufacturing some components, so is pretty well versed in the engine on a technical and pilots level. If you shoot me a PM with your contact information I will give it to this fellow.
-Aaron

KDoersom
08-25-2012, 06:08 PM
Nothing wrong with the 0-145 if you don't expect more out if it than it is. They put out about 55 HP on a good day. Also a very smooth running little engine. The cylinders are part of the case half so you can just pull a jug and send it for overhaul. Half to send half the engine.

rosiejerryrosie
08-26-2012, 07:25 AM
The biggest problem with the O-145 is that parts are very hard to find, and cost a small fortune if you can find them. I just gave up and replaced mine with a Continental. If you do buy it, I recommend a routine of frequently torqueing the head bolts as there are a lot of instances of blown head gaskets.

martymayes
08-26-2012, 08:38 AM
The cylinders are part of the case half so you can just pull a jug and send it for overhaul. Half to send half the engine.

The cylinder is part of the case but the cylinder head isn't. Most cylinder work is confined to upper cylinder parts so the 145 may be easier to work on because of the way they are built. What Jerry said is true, original parts are not available but for experimental applications, one can come up with suitable alternatives. Just send all your derelect 145's my way.

Aaron Novak
08-26-2012, 05:44 PM
The cylinder is part of the case but the cylinder head isn't. Most cylinder work is confined to upper cylinder parts so the 145 may be easier to work on because of the way they are built. What Jerry said is true, original parts are not available but for experimental applications, one can come up with suitable alternatives. Just send all your derelect 145's my way.

I should have noted that my co-workers engine is not being run as an experimental, and all the manufactured parts were approved. There is really nothing that "rare" about the engine, as long as you understand that it is an antique. If your experience with engine ownership is limited to engines you can readily buy parts for, then this would be a change.

MadisonPilot
08-26-2012, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the reply's.

Is there a TBO for the O-145?

Is there any shops around that still work and overhaul them?

Ryan in Madison

Aaron Novak
08-26-2012, 11:15 PM
Hi Ryan,
No shops I am aware of in the WI area anyway that are familiar with them. Like I mentioned above, it's an antique engine not currently supported very well. A nice reliable engine, but one that in itself can become a hobby should it need an overhaul. Just be warned that there are many people out there that like to substitute auto parts and such in them, maybe not "above board" in some cases.

steveinindy
08-27-2012, 12:00 AM
The biggest problem with the O-145 is that parts are very hard to find, and cost a small fortune if you can find them. I just gave up and replaced mine with a Continental. If you do buy it, I recommend a routine of frequently torqueing the head bolts as there are a lot of instances of blown head gaskets.
That was similar to the recommendations from a friend who owns one when I was asking about it as a possible powerplant for an LSA design I shelved in favor of my current one. His comment was "The 145 will run all day if you treat it right. Neglect it or abuse it and it'll make you pay just like a scorned woman."

ChuckW
09-03-2012, 06:47 PM
I have a few O-145 parts that need a good home. Send me a note if you are interested. cwid71358@aol.com

prasmussen
09-07-2012, 02:49 PM
The advice about 55 horsepower is absolutely true. My PA-15 which is powered by the Lycoming just can't keep up with the essentially identical PA-17 powered by an A-65.

Couple of concerns:

The front oil seal is almost impossible to find.

It uses three gaskets between the steel cylinder and the aluminum head to deal with unequal expansion rates of the metals and the copper/asbestos inner gasket has been very hard to find.

The original exhaust sleeves to which exhaust headers attach are prone to rust-out and are hard to replace.

I think I paid over $200 per exhaust valve when they needed to be replaced.

You'll need to modify a wrench so that if will fit the nuts under the cylinders. It is completely necessary to “snug” those head nuts regularly.

The good news:

The carb hangs from the oil pan and stays toasty for winter flying.

It is cheap to feed.

It is wonderfully smooth and mine has been completely reliable since 1987.

If I recall it has more main bearings than the Continental too.

And, there is almost always one sitting in the back of someones hangar. I've seen them sell on eBay for almost nothing.

When you are done with it, a museum will be happy to take it off your hands.

Best of luck.

kscessnadriver
09-08-2012, 09:52 PM
Good to see there are some people out there who still know things about these engines. I'm in the process of picking up an O-145 powered aircraft. Very excited to get a more original aircraft, as it seems that many were converted off of O-145 power.

JoeDPiere
09-18-2012, 05:07 PM
The man who owns the license to the o-145 lives in Montrose Pa. He just built me a new engine for my Luscombe 8B. He has a number of parts, and acts as a clearing house for the engine. He is the go to guy for this engine. Google J P Hackenburg aviation in Montrose Pa.. Be aware this engine uses mineral oil not modern oils, The previous owner of my plane did not know this and damaged the engine!

Joe