PDA

View Full Version : new aircraft tie down in town

turbo
08-05-2012, 08:21 AM
just received my http://www.stormforcetiedowns.com/ from my trip to osh and other points west. this is lookn like a great solution to the tie down issue. will give a report when i ground it and give it a good pull with the auto. thanks to tom for doing some research on a well needed tool.

Eric Page
08-05-2012, 09:02 PM
Did you watch the promo video they were showing at their booth? It showed a vehicle pull test that held for an impressive period, but ultimately destroyed the product.

FlyingRon
08-06-2012, 04:23 AM
Why do you think that destroying in lieu of releasing isn't a bad thing. Actually, I have some rather bent claws that held in 70 knot winds in Wyoming as well.
It still looks rather heavy despite the claims. A friend had a real neat set of tiedowns that were essentially a carbon fiber hockey puck and carbon fiber anchor nails. Came from Australia but the company seems not to exist any more.

Skyhook
08-06-2012, 01:03 PM
I picked up a set back @ OSH in 2009. They have performed very well as far as I am concerned.... and the price is right where it was in '09. Imagine.

Eric Page
08-09-2012, 05:21 PM
Why do you think that destroying in lieu of releasing isn't a bad thing?
I don't. The OP said he would "give a report when I ground it and give it a good pull with the auto." My point was that this test would likely destroy his shiny new anchors.

Christopher Ingram
08-09-2012, 08:07 PM
Those look really quite simple compared to the usual "screw in dog leash" type, I think i might make me a set. 2"x2"x1/4" angle iron, some 5/16" U-bolts and some large nails.

Thanks

FlyingRon
08-10-2012, 04:38 AM
Yeah, that's what I thought Chris. While the claw has some cast pieces, this one looks like something I could make in my garage. I suspect they're banking on the "Yeah you could make this, but will you?" strategy.

Christopher Ingram
08-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Yeah, that's what I thought Chris. While the claw has some cast pieces, this one looks like something I could make in my garage. I suspect they're banking on the "Yeah you could make this, but will you?" strategy.

I think even using some aluminum angle would work just fine and wouldn't weigh much. it would only take about a half an hour to make these.

Still a great idea for a simple yet very effective tie down. I give them a thumbs up for the simplistic ingenuity!