PDA

View Full Version : Call outs for great work at AirVenture this year

Bob Meder
07-31-2012, 12:13 PM
I just wanted to start a thread that will allow us to compliment and recognize the folks that did a great job at the show this year. These are the little things (and maybe not so little) that just seem to go well and we don't always notice.

First, ATC. Always an outstanding job, with lots of concern for our safety and patience with all of us.

Vehicle traffic control - much improved this year, with the volunteers directing traffic appearing to be much better trained. Particularly near the critical intersection near the bus park between the main entrance and the road to Pioneer Airport/Nature Center.

Kobussen buses - Always friendly, helpful drivers.

La Sure's catering - I was at several events where they provided the catering, and the food, as always, was good, on-time, and the service well-choreographed. At an event this large, both in area and volume, with all of the competing needs, that is an achievement.

OK, folks, I've only scratched the surface - your turn...

Eric Witherspoon
07-31-2012, 12:34 PM
Shower house cleaning - I have no idea what goes into this; don't want to know, but the house I used was always ready.
Port-a-potties - Either people are treating these better, or they are getting a LOT of service, or probably some of both. But these were also always ready wherever I went.
The campground bus service - sign said started at 7am, but I got on a bus at pretty much quarter-to every day for some early-morning wanderings.
Traffic - sure, the routings were a little round-about, but I never waited in a big non-moving line. Since I'm a "commuter camper" (tent in a suitcase, fly in commercial & rent a car), I got out to dinner & back every day rather easily.
It's the "background stuff" like this that makes all the great presentations, demo's, and seeing & talking with the vendors just that much more enjoyable...

mazdaP5
07-31-2012, 01:00 PM
I saw them re-filling the water tanks at the showers, so I'm happy that we never ran out of water. The water in the FREE
drinking fountains was always cold, so I really appreciated that.
Our street in Scholer (12th) was repaired with gravel after the muds came, so I was VERY pleased with that, I drive a Focus that doesn't so a foot of mud.
We also really enjoyed the K-9 demo at the Federal Pavilion, more than I thought we would.
I had a blast at the show, there are always a few gripes, but they are far outweighed by the positives.

MEdwards
07-31-2012, 01:16 PM
I told the guy who maintained the mens shower trailer in the South 40 that they'd never been kept so clean, and I meant it. Many thanks to him. The ladies' side seemed well attended too.

Hal Bryan
07-31-2012, 01:21 PM
Great idea for a thread, Bob!

I'll add a couple myself.

First: Every volunteer, ever. This was convention number 15 for me, the 4th on staff, and each year I get more blown away by the depth of commitment from the tireless volunteers who make it all happen.

Second, a special shout-out for Paul & Todd, and Dave & Pat who handled our streaming webcams and the LiveATC support respectively. These guys did an amazing job, and made the "virtual AirVenture" experience a reality for grateful viewers and listeners all around the world.

MEdwards
07-31-2012, 01:43 PM
Kudos also to the folks who put on EAA Radio. What I heard was informative and well produced. I also appreciated all the thought and work they did ahead of the event to make sure it was accessible to everyone who wanted to listen.

Dave Stadt
07-31-2012, 01:49 PM
Big thanks to the volunteers who didn't miss a lick even during the horrible heat and humidity. Many come only to volunteer and could have bailed but did not. Funny how they give and give but don't complain, yet those that don't give are the complainers.

Special thanks to the corporate sponsors that step up to the plate with $$$$, people resources and material donations. We could not do our job without them.

Agree with LaSure's. The best meals we had in 10 days in OSH were La Sure's catered events.

Operation Thirst needs recognition for keeping the volunteers fed and hydrated. Didn't see the numbers this year but they usually make 12,000+ 'mystery meat' sandwiches during AV.

wyoranch
07-31-2012, 01:51 PM
+1 for everyone involved in the "virtual" AV experience.
EAA Radio In particular Digital Dave and Fast Eddie for getting my day started off right.
The volunteers because they volunteered...
The attendees for supporting the greatest organization in the world!!!!
Rick

Janet Davidson
07-31-2012, 02:24 PM
Credit where credit is due, Hal. You were outstanding in keeping up with all the "take a photo of this or that aircraft" requests, funny captions, & keeping the lines of communication open for members here on the forum. Take a banjolele-type bow ;)

FlyingRon
07-31-2012, 02:25 PM
The guy cleaning the men's showers behind the hangar cafe was a hoot this year. He talked a mile a minute about just about anything but he sure kept the place clean. He was always moving!

WtrSkr
07-31-2012, 02:39 PM
Randee with Scholler security. We had a couple of minor issues and he was great and offered solutions with a smile and friendly attitude. I have sent his supervisor an email with more details. Hopefully he will get some credit.Hot water at the showers on Stitts. A bit too warm at times but much better than the alternative!

Chad Jensen
07-31-2012, 03:47 PM
My water wagon guys...the volunteers that fill the tanks for the "swamp coolers" in the forums and vendor areas. They had some hurdles to tackle last week with missing tank inventory, use of a tractor to pull the water, among others, and they stepped up and got it done anyway! Way to go guys!

RV8505
07-31-2012, 04:13 PM
How about South Maintenance volunteers and Kidventure. They both did a great job! I would also like to thank West Ramp! Great Guys

scuba72
07-31-2012, 05:37 PM
Finally, some positive feedback on the forums. I didn't have the opportunity to attend this year, but my virtual attendance was much better than I expected. At first I was a little disappointed, but when I learned so few VOLUNTEERS where providing that experience for me, I adjusted and became immersed in it. Watching the sunrise and sunsets on the web cams, the Airshows (which I hardly ever watch when I'm there) and the Theater in the woods made me feel like I was almost really there.

There are probably 1000s of great people who need a good slap on the back for a job well done and when I come next year, I'll be willing to shake every one of your hands. Thanks.

Dave in Missouri

Vin Rampey
07-31-2012, 05:53 PM
1. The tram drivers and schedulers. We never waited more than 4-5 minutes for a tram and the drivers were friendly, engaging, and helpful. Very nice service!

2. The guys who managed the webcams! I had to come home and work a couple days right in the middle of the trip but it was AWESOME to be able to log in and see everyone else having fun!

3. Ditto for the people who clean and manage the shower houses in the N40....what an awesome service.

4. Kudos to the food service people. We were so pleased to have so many choices, and many of them healthful as well. We saw plenty of salads, one place with an oriental stir fry, and a couple with reasonably healthful wraps etc. We thought the prices were very reasonable too but we live in the middle of a large city so everything in Wisconsin seems inexpensive to us!

5. AWESOME to have a restaurant and some camping supplies in the North 40. What a nice nice surprise!

6. The staff at the museum who are always informative and engaging, but especially so this year managing larger than usual crowds who fled there to escape the heat.

7. Hal and others who manage this forum! What a privilege to be able to share ideas and information with other attendees.

8. Loved the airshow! Nice variety of aircraft and performers!

9. Ditto the Kobbussen bus people....they always do a great job of getting us around the N40.

10. The folks at Bassler aviation! REALLY appreciate the discount and the frequent "drive-bys" of their fuel truck to see if we needed anything.

Kyle Boatright
07-31-2012, 07:08 PM
The parking folks and the people at check-in were outstanding as usual. As were the tower guys and gals.

I also greatly appreciate the job the people who hold the forums and workshops do. Very talented and knowledgable people sharing their time.

sherm
07-31-2012, 08:36 PM
MY wife and I had such a Great time, we were in camp scholar or ever how you spell it, lol.
I do hold a pilots Lic she does not. I want to tell you I am hooked and will try my best to be there next year.
I learned a lot, it is hard to explain, what I feel but it is good.
so from a FIRST TIMER it was AWESOME.

Jim Heffelfinger
07-31-2012, 09:50 PM
SOOOOOOOO glad to read something positive on this forum about AV. RE: Grumpy old men - A chapter, that shall remain nameless, has a similar few who are always unhappy yet when asked to serve on the board, show up for a work day, share their talents or provide real direction: they are deathly silent and/or absent.
So, I want to say. Great job AV12
Charge your aviation passion battery and get your chapter moving - any direction - just moving.

Bob Meder
07-31-2012, 10:15 PM
And (how we can forget!) the wonderful people of Oshkosh. It is true that we bring a lot of revenue to the area, but, let's face it, we invade that town. Everyone, from the people that trust us with their house, to the vendors, restaurant owners, gas station employees, waiters/waitresses, and on and on have been great hosts. Not just this year, but every year that I've been there.

TheGreatFlight
08-01-2012, 12:22 AM
Kudos to the organizers (and performers, of course) of the afternoon airshows. I love that they changed things up this year. The addition of Tora!Tora!Tora!, the Skyhawks, etc. was awesome.

Same for the night airshow - it gets better each year!

Also kudos to the fella selling the Chill frozen treats for not judging me as I ate my weight in the Strawberry flavor all day Saturday. ;)

steve
08-01-2012, 06:29 PM
This was my first year in HBC after 8 years as a N40 camper. Kudos and big thanks to the following folk:
1. Cindy and her husband for being the coffee hosts EVERY morning at 0600-ish in HBC. BTW, they also volunteer at SnF and Sebring.
2. Jeff P and staff for maintaining an orderly flow of airplane traffic in and out of HBC.
3. The nightly music sessions in the nearby JPI pavillion provided by the Flying Musicians Assn and some talented EAA members.
4. The shower house cleaning team.

BeagleOne
08-02-2012, 12:21 AM
The fireworks Saturday night were fantastic. I missed the sailplane and Beech 18 in the night airshow, though.

Nice to see FiFi and Glacier Girl there.

Kevin O'Halloran
08-02-2012, 02:14 PM
The parking crew did a great job on parking the formation groups this year.
The CAP cadets were well briefed on the need to get the planes moved off the runways quickly.
This was the first year we were able to put up the big group tent before the formation arrived--that really helped out !!!
John Carrier and Jim Casper stayed on top of things and had a quick answer to any of our questions.
Everyone was friendly and had a smile on their face.
Attitudes are contagious be they good or bad--B2OSH left happy this year :)
Kevin

Antique Tower
08-03-2012, 06:49 AM
Thanks to the Vintage volunteers of Point Fondy. They saw a cub taxiing in from the grass strip just as the gust front of that storm was approaching. They quickly parked the guy in a multiengine spot and physically held down the aircraft, in the gusty torrential rain, until the pilot could bang in his tiedowns. So many volunteers ran out there that after awhile there wasn't enough room on the struts for them all to hold on.....http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l165/Hvck/IMG_5923.jpgthere