PDA

View Full Version : Oshkosh then and now

Todd copeland
07-28-2012, 07:27 PM
I went to Oshkosh for the first time in 2002. It was a magical week in an airplane wonderland. Warbirds flying by the dozens, crowded show plane lines, endless venders....it was amazing. I've gone back almost every year since. My dad and I have built a glastar since then and we are building a glasair 3 now. We have enjoyed the passion of experimental aviation for years going back to when I was a kid and Burt Rutan was designing plans built aircraft that made a child's head turn. Unfortunately things are changing. I have been going to Oshkosh for a little less time each year, and this year I aimed for Friday because I thought it had the best chance of having plenty of home builts on the lines and a good amount of warbirds in the air. I was sorely disappointed. How much of the disappointment is due to the economy I do not know, but the formerly crowded experimental show plane lines were fewer this year than any I have seen in years past. The airshow was sorely lacking. Warbirds barely flew and the airshow was just lousy. It seems that coordination isn't even there to put a good show together. As for the vendors? There were fewer than I have ever seen. I don't know if their costs are just too high now or they are not comming because it isn't paying to go. I am going to take a few years off from the show and hope things get better because this year I feel like I should have stayed home and worked on my glasair.

PaulDow
07-29-2012, 08:08 AM
The Convention seems to have morphed into two segments. In an effort to make it a full week program, the big events seem to be weighted toward the beginning and end of the week. The traditional EAA member comes to see the new products and they come in early, so they may leave around Thursday. The people who are into the show aspects probably come in late in the week. Vendors may be spread out further from the core area, since larger corporations are in the central triangle. I guess it's tough keeping people, and their planes, for the full week.

TheGreatFlight
07-29-2012, 08:29 AM
The airshow was sorely lacking. Warbirds barely flew and the airshow was just lousy. It seems that coordination isn't even there to put a good show together.

This part really surprises me. We've been to AirVenture every year for at least the last 8-10 years straight and my husband said that Friday's airshow just blew him away and how he thought it was the best one he'd seen in years. Tora!Tora!Tora!, the Canadian Skyhawks, the warbirds, FIFI! - it was all new this year and fantastic.

I got to see all of that and more on Saturday, except for Fifi and have to agree with him that it was incredible. And nice to have a bit of a change up this year (along with some of the regulars), in my humble opinion.

Sorry that you are considering not coming back next year. I hope you reconsider. :(

a1tangen
07-29-2012, 09:22 AM
I missed seeing and hearing from Tom Poberenzy this year. And come to think about it, haven't read about him lately in Sport Aviation either. His Dad didn't even mention him at the Lifetime members banquet. Not seeing or hearing from Tom was a significant change, for the worse, IMHO.

Wilfred
07-29-2012, 09:26 AM
Is there a parking fee for homebuilt aircraft...not camping...just parking? It has been a few years since I attended the big show...been there seven times but not the last few years. Just wondering about parking fees in light of the increased cost of everything else. thanks

Kyle Boatright
07-29-2012, 02:14 PM
I'm responding to several posts in this thread. BTW, I just got home after 5 days at the show and had a great time.

There is no parking fee for aircraft. If you camp under the wing there is a camping fee.

My understanding is that Tom left under duress. No telling when he'll be back.

I don't watch the airshow - I burned out on them a long time ago.

There were open booths/spaces in some of the big vendor hangars (the A, B, C, and D buildings). The fly-market may have shrunk too. Not sure about that.

Still a great event, but much more commercial than the first time I attended ~18 years ago.

Vin Rampey
07-29-2012, 02:32 PM
This part really surprises me. We've been to AirVenture every year for at least the last 8-10 years straight and my husband said that Friday's airshow just blew him away and how he thought it was the best one he'd seen in years. Tora!Tora!Tora!, the Canadian Skyhawks, the warbirds, FIFI! - it was all new this year and fantastic.

I got to see all of that and more on Saturday, except for Fifi and have to agree with him that it was incredible. And nice to have a bit of a change up this year (along with some of the regulars), in my humble opinion.

Sorry that you are considering not coming back next year. I hope you reconsider. :(

I agree with TheGreatFlight - I thought the airshows had the best balance of performers ever. I do think the high temperatures took a bit of energy out of things but there was something interesting for everyone in aviation this year. I think it just keeps getting better each year. Can't wait for next year!

Really like to extend compliments to the tram operations. Really like the new route structure. Yes, they do fill up at times, but it seemed like the next tram was never more than 4-5 minutes away. Nice job!

Kyle Boatright
07-29-2012, 06:50 PM
I agree with TheGreatFlight - I thought the airshows had the best balance of performers ever.

At the annual meeting, Hightower specifically said they cut back on the number of "flip flop" airplane acts this year. I appreciated that - watching a half dozen acts emulate Shawn Tucker every afternoon got very repetitive. On the other hand, I'd rather see some of the classic aircraft do fly-bys during the airshow instead of a "tactical jet demonstration" or a flame spewing truck. I can see the tactical jet or the truck at a half dozen airshows within an easy drive every year. I don't need them at Oshkosh too...

malexander
07-29-2012, 07:31 PM
Well. I enjoyed the entire week. I sort of burned out on airshows a long time ago also. I did sit through the whole thing on Monday & that was plenty for me for the week. One thing I really did enjoy the most at the airshow itself was the stock Cub & Stearman routines. These are simple machines that "anyone" can fly. Yeah, I noticed a lot of empty spaces & booths too. There was a lot of "junk" vendors not there either.<shrug>

I think, and so do my daughters & wife, one the most important things we get to do during the week is reunite with people we've met the year(s) before. Even though we stay at Sleepy Hollow Farm campground, we go back to see Jeff the good staff there & our new friends we've met there.
If we all quit going, to "wait it out" for things to get better, it won't. We have to keep going & invite people, let the people know what they're missing. I know I'll continue to go, and stay the week. Can't wait for next year already.

Both daughters, ages 17 & 23 have already started the count down. Just got to find out for sure what the dates are.

BBARTONB
07-30-2012, 06:29 AM
I agree with you;Oshkosh isn't about jet trucks,monster trucks,or beer gardens,but i guess this the "new"EAA.Us old timers need to remeber the good "old"days.

rickatic
07-30-2012, 06:58 AM
let's see...out the gate...drive to 41 and turn South...Deb and I begin a discussion about Oshkosh 2013...so I guess our countdown has began as well

We were there from Saturday the 21st to yesterday morning...and had a great time. This was our 5th consecutive Oshkosh and each one has been better than the others. Is the Event better?...probably not...but we have refined our routines so we get more out of the visit each year. We do enjoy the air shows. The Koontz/Franklin Cub acts would have been so much better if they would not park "Duggie" right in the center of the action. These are very low and very slow acts that spent much of their time lower than and in front of the DC 3.

We had a great time and will be back next year...TGLW

Regards

Eric Page
07-30-2012, 05:36 PM
Just got to find out for sure what the dates are.
2013: Mon, Jul 29 - Sun, Aug 4

2014: Mon, Jul 28 - Sun, Aug 3

turtle
07-30-2012, 06:22 PM
If we all quit going, to "wait it out" for things to get better, it won't. We have to keep going & invite people, let the people know what they're missing.
I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there. You don't get a big greedy organization like the EAA to change by handing them even more money. Frankly, I'd be embarrassed if I would have invited someone to this year's SnoozeVenture.

Unfortunately, if attendance drops they'll just charge more for vendors, admission and camping, just to keep the cash cow alive for another year. This year was proof of that.

malexander
07-30-2012, 06:23 PM
2013: Mon, Jul 29 - Sun, Aug 4

2014: Mon, Jul 28 - Sun, Aug 3

Thanks Eric.
Already planning the trip.

malexander
07-30-2012, 06:48 PM
I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there. You don't get a big greedy organization like the EAA to change by handing them even more money. Frankly, I'd be embarrassed if I would have invited someone to this year's SnoozeVenture.

Unfortunately, if attendance drops they'll just charge more for vendors, admission and camping, just to keep the cash cow alive for another year. This year was proof of that.

AAHH, I dunno. Maybe a little "nudge" or tap on the shoulder to Hal, Chad, or even Rod. Maybe suggest to them that, although the economy sort of sucks in some places, if AV was more affordable (read cheaper) I do think more folks would come.

I know the hangars weren't as busy last year as they were the year before, and even less busy this year. I've been there the full week the past 10 years. But, "they" say we have greater attendance each year? I'm not sure how they count people. If it's by the number of people going through the gate, I count for about 5 people, I go in & out about that many times a day. <g>

We have to support OUR organization. But it'll have to be in a constructive, positive way instead of a complaining, negative way. You know honey will attract a lot more flies than vinegar.

I own my own business, I'm just a little bit less expensive than the other plumbers & electricians in the area. I'm covered up almost all the time. Some, NOT ALL, of the other, more expensive guys aren't really all that busy. I'm going out on a limb here but I'd say although my profit margin is smaller, my profits are in the ballpark of the expensive guys. I'd like to see EAA try my approach sometime.
But who knows, maybe they're actually trying to run the little, poor, broke guys off? I guess time will tell.

Eric Page
07-30-2012, 06:56 PM
Wish I could plan that far ahead, malexander. That's one of the drawbacks of working for an airline -- I won't know my schedule for July 2013 until June 23rd, 2013. Unless I can get vacation for that week. Which can be canceled for training events. Or low staffing. Or a full moon.

I've lost money on room reservations twice because I had to cancel. Can't afford to keep doing that; I need the money to build a plane so I can fly to OSH. If I can get the time off...

mcmurphy
07-30-2012, 06:56 PM
There have been a lot of conversations lately about the changes at EAA and Airventure, I have even participated in a few of them.Yes things are changing, but everything changes. I would imagine that the expenses of staging Airventure are huge and constantly climbing. I don't think things like luxury boxes and higher booth fees are being done to line pockets, but to keep costs for attendees as low as possible. I shudder to think of how much money is spent on insurance for the show for the week.

As for myself, I had my best week ever at Oshkosh. I arrived on 7-21 and departed on 7-29. I sweated through the heat and dodged raindrops (and mud) during the storms. I saw thousands of airplanes, many of them homebuilts. I talked to lots of people about flying and spent time catching up with friends. I spent too much money on hats and shirts. But for me the best part was that I got to say hi to Bob Hoover and shake his hand. And I can't wait to do it all again next year.

malexander
07-30-2012, 07:15 PM
Wish I could plan that far ahead, malexander. That's one of the drawbacks of working for an airline -- I won't know my schedule for July 2013 until June 23rd, 2013. Unless I can get vacation for that week. Which can be canceled for training events. Or low staffing. Or a full moon.

I've lost money on room reservations twice because I had to cancel. Can't afford to keep doing that; I need the money to build a plane so I can fly to OSH. If I can get the time off...

I certainly understand that.

wyoranch
07-30-2012, 07:19 PM
I am just curious as to how many of you voiced your opinions directly to EAA as well as here? My point is that I don't get that warm and fuzzy feeling that these forums are truly monitored by the people who can affect change. Things do change , and you can not stop progress. The economy has been terrible, a lot of discretionary income got flushed down the toilet over the last few years with the housing collapse. I for one could not afford to go this year because of a general down turn affecting the company I started 20 years ago. That does not excuse EAA from what I believe is completely and utterly stepping over the people that have formed this community. My point is that complaining here is probably going unheard and what is being see is being discounted as a small portion of the AV audience. I will always be a member regardless ( and maybe that is what the board is counting on) because I believe in what the people stand for, I will even attend AV if all of my other obligations are met. AV (the event itself) is not what I signed up for. I signed up to be with like minded people and the friendships that would come with it. I TRULY believe in what all of you are committed to.
Feedback@eaa.org. Voice your opinion, please.........
Thanks to all of you for taking the time to read this
Rick

glider90
07-30-2012, 07:34 PM
My wife, four year old and six year old arrived at camp Scholler for my 37th trip to Oshkosh a bit later than planned, noon on Monday. By 1:00 my brother and I were sitting on some hot bleachers watching the Warbirds in Review of Glacier Girl. After that we caught the new Warbird Adventure Tram tour (FREE) and had a very entertaining ride through the whole warbird area. A great way to see it all, as I have not walked all the trainer rows in years. Heading towards camp we strolled by Homebuilt Headquarters and saw Paul hopping into Red One with that twinkle of happiness still in his eyes. Later in the week we walked the field of yellow cubs, and went back in time through the vintage area. My 6 year old daughter wanted her picture in front of a blue and yellow Staggerwing. The owner saw us, and asked her if she wanted to sit in it. She managed a giant smile and a nod, and was sitting inside seconds later. I found nothing has changed about the "Spirit of Oshkosh". The spirit is in the people and the planes, not the commercial rows...at least to me.

I have seen the changes, almost all of them. Some I do not like, but I accept that with "progress" comes change. Some will argue that what the EAA has done with all the sponsors is not progress. Bottom line is they have built a very attractive product, and advertisers want to give them money to be part of it. It has certainly pushed what I care about further from show center. The upshot? Those things are still there and there are less crowds in those areas now! I remember a time before trams, before Warbirds in Review, before the hugely successful Kidventure, before there was any decent options for food on the field. There are many things I liked the old way, but I guess I still go for the three main things I care about. Family, Friends, Flying machines. When you get down to it the EAA has nothing to do with the first two, and they are a big big part of it for me.

I still find the the random acts of kindness encountered by "strangers" at the convention to be the most amongst any group one can meet. I thank the guy that picked up me and my kind of sagging four year old one evening with his empty golf cart. It made my sons night!

My biggest complaint this year would be the heat, and although some others here may think so, I cannot find where that is the fault of the EAA. To me the spirit is alive and well, a bit more spread out but alive and well. Having both of my kids there and seeing them enjoy it as much as I did at their age made it one of the best ever. We waved goodbye to the planes as we pulled out Sunday morning, sad to leave, but already planning next year.
Speaking of then and now (and spirit):
Left, me with the EAA's first Spirit at Oshkosh around 1976 (before the commemorative tour in 1977).
Right, my son with EAA's second Spirit in 2012 at Pioneer Airport during Kidventure. Where did those 35 years go?

Jim Hann
07-30-2012, 09:04 PM

Well Eric there is always {cough} line improvement time {cough} if you just have to be there. :|

Jim
PS, I had to leave early this year for IOE, got recalled and had NO control of my schedule and not quite enough "line improvement" available.

martymayes
07-30-2012, 09:27 PM
Well Eric there is always {cough} line improvement time {cough} if you just have to be there. :|

Just make sure you don't sign in at the airline tent........I'm sure schedulers are sent there to scour the sign in boards to see if there are any names that just happened to call in sick those days.....

Jim Hann
07-31-2012, 12:14 AM
Just make sure you don't sign in at the airline tent........I'm sure schedulers are sent there to scour the sign in boards to see if there are any names that just happened to call in sick those days.....

I figured that was just a branch crew scheduling office!!! :D

Mike M
07-31-2012, 06:09 AM
...saw Paul hopping into Red One with that twinkle of happiness still in his eyes...

"red one" was built up with scrounged parts on the cheap. ditto "red two". those were so strongly associated with the poberezny pair, it was logical to get a different ride for the new boss. saw it in sport aviation magazine. any bets "blue one" was built out of scrounged parts? indicative of the changing attitude of EAA leadership? this being an election year and all, wonder if the color choices are significant?

martymayes
07-31-2012, 06:24 AM
"red one" was built up with scrounged parts on the cheap. ditto "red three". those were so strongly associated with the poberezny pair, fixed that for ya.....

Mike M
08-01-2012, 06:23 AM
fixed that for ya.....

thanks, Marty.

just ran some numbers and now see the problem from a different perspective. total response to aopa and eaa proposal on 3class med, 15137. total circulation of both membership magazines, about 505,000 per month average. discount the fact that some of those mags may be free distribution for advertising, some folks may be members of both, that's still less than 3% who submitted comments positive or negative. not all pilots are members of either group, so the % of concerned pilots drops farther. and the % of registered voters? infinitely small, my calculator clogged up. and the mag circulation #'s showed several thousand dropped out of aopa between 2004 and 2011 (no significance to the years selected, those were the two that popped up on google). and we're less than half of aopa.

so. we gotta get all the member numbers we can or eaa becomes irrelevant politically. if we anger some but not enough to cause them to walk out, but get more, it's worth it. and if the ones we get are members of the nbaa or flying or plane and pilot groups, all the better because the advertizing study demographics show they have $$$$ and thus may have political clout on their own. now i get it. better to commit fratricide than suicide.

martymayes
08-01-2012, 08:40 AM
just ran some numbers and now see the problem from a different perspective. total response to aopa and eaa proposal on 3class med, 15137.

The most controversial NPRM in the history of aviation (in terms of responses) was Proposal 88-2 and it netted close to 300,000 comments. And this was in the late '80's so these reponses were written or typed and mailed, faxed or telegrammed. No electronic email responses then. So I'm not sure what's different. Shrinking pilot population? Alphabet groups failing to motivate their membership? People have grown indifferent? Lost their passion for a cause? I dunno but I'd say 151,000 was pretty good response by todays standards.

Mike M
08-01-2012, 11:01 AM
I'd say 151,000 was pretty good response by todays standards.

i'd say 151,000 responses would have been pretty good, too. but it was 15,137. fifteen thousand and change. three percent of the number of aopa and eaa magazines per month. for lack of being smarter, i used that as a guide to active memberships. last i knew there were between 600000 and 700000 medical certificates active. so the percentage of response based on medicals outstanding is even more dismal. small enough to make a bureaucrat yawn when told there is a strong grassroots movement afoot. and make john q public wonder why he's paying taxes to keep a noisy, smelly, polluting airport open when such a small percentage of the community uses it and a park would make more sense. like daley did. don't confuse john q with the fact that aviation use taxes pay for the airport. he'll just whine about the ticket tax and security tax on his airline ticket.

martymayes
08-01-2012, 11:54 AM
i'd say 151,000 responses would have been pretty good, too. but it was 15,137. fifteen thousand and change. Did you change that number? I must need new glasses. Even so, not sure what is or isn't driving participation or lack of. Did the alphabet groups send out enough info? When the 88-2 proposal was floated, alphabet groups did town hall meetings and road shows to get the word out. There were a couple in my hometown that I attended. The EAA Chapter was calling members by phone and soliciting support. Maybe people just are not paying attention these days with all the information overload.

Mayhemxpc
08-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Warbirds barely flew and the airshow was just lousy. It seems that coordination isn't even there to put a good show together.

Are you sure that you were talking about Friday's warbird airshow? I flew in that one myself. The coordination was amazing. Some L-19/O-1 and L-4's had to drop out at the last minute to to gusting wind conditions and the basic warbird fly-by was shortened a bit, but...that was because Tora Tora Tora led off and the B-25's followed, leading up to Fi-Fi. In other words, one part (still with a LOT of planes) was shortened a little because so many other, very special, warbird events were added in!

EuropaPete
08-02-2012, 07:24 AM
I am just curious as to how many of you voiced your opinions directly to EAA as well as here? My point is that I don't get that warm and fuzzy feeling that these forums are truly monitored by the people who can affect change. Things do change , and you can not stop progress. The economy has been terrible, a lot of discretionary income got flushed down the toilet over the last few years with the housing collapse. I for one could not afford to go this year because of a general down turn affecting the company I started 20 years ago. That does not excuse EAA from what I believe is completely and utterly stepping over the people that have formed this community. My point is that complaining here is probably going unheard and what is being see is being discounted as a small portion of the AV audience. I will always be a member regardless ( and maybe that is what the board is counting on) because I believe in what the people stand for, I will even attend AV if all of my other obligations are met. AV (the event itself) is not what I signed up for. I signed up to be with like minded people and the friendships that would come with it. I TRULY believe in what all of you are committed to.
Feedback@eaa.org. Voice your opinion, please.........
Thanks to all of you for taking the time to read this
Rick

My email to them.... fwiw :-(

As a 20 year EAA'r, and and Experimental Aircraft Builder, I am truly saddened with the current direction of Airventure.

My disappointments are as follows:

1- The high-priced EAA 'chalet' and other sponser 'chalets' are an eyesore, displace the show planes along the flight line, ruin any panaramic views of aircraft, block the view of the flightline, and most importantly make if *very* clear that the EAA values their well-heeled 'members' more than the majority membership of long time EAA'rs who built and founded this organization. This class distinction is disgusting.

2- the relocation of the photo-platform from show center - why? because it ruined the chalet's view??

3- The sound system was ill-conceived and *much* too loud. One couldn't even hear the engines over the silly soundtracks. It appears that the EAA is now trying to appeal to the *non* flying general public, to draw ticket sales as the actual pilot attendee numbers appear to be declining.

4- The Homebuilt camping area has never been upgraded with proper showers or amenities - why has it not been updated as the North 40 has been? This group is the *Core* of the EAA, and the reason for Airventure in the first place. The reason the forums are there. The reason that flying can be made affordable.

5- The aviation vendors are decreasing in numbers and being replaced by mattress salesmen. Terrible. This is supposed to be the worlds "greatest aviation celebration". I have heard from many aviation vendors that the EAA is increasing the rent to the point where it is no longer feasible. Only mass-market product mfg's will be able to afford displays if this keeps up.

What is happening to 'my' fly-in? As a long-time EAA member, I am saddened to see the show decline. Eventually it will be just another AOPA/industry show. Not the Eaa

Sincerely,
Pete

Chad Jensen
08-02-2012, 08:41 AM
Good feedback everyone, keep them coming! We (the leadership team) spent yesterday afternoon in a conference room reading through all of the feedback received thus far, so I guarantee the feedback email is working, and they are being read and listened to.

Many of us do monitor the forums on a regular basis, including Rod when he has a few moments. This is a great place to voice concerns and celebrate wins, and we DO see them.

I can address a couple of items briefly from this thread...the attendance was down 6% at 508,000 for the week. The vendor hangars...they made the vendor count appear to be lower because Microsoft did not show (cancelled at the last minute), Sporty's chose to move outside the buildings to a tent where they reported record sales and visits, and a couple others moved outside. That left significant open space in the buildings. The vendor count was actually up this year with more and more vendors choosing outside locations. Aircraft Spruce reported record sales as well...every time I went back over there to get more catalogs for the homebuilders hangar, I had to squeeze through the people crowding the counter.

All that being said, it was a solid AirVenture, and for my first on staff (11th year in a row coming though), I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Bill Berson
08-02-2012, 09:05 AM
How many (of the 800) vendors are aviation related? Increasing or decreasing from past years?
Do aviation vendors pay the same rate?

As a former airport based aviation business owner, I saw how airports have leased land space to non-aviation purposes because they always have more money.

I hope EAA does not promote this trend as well.

Also, how many "core EAA members" (not the ones who join for lower camp rates) attend Airventure each year?

avinuts
08-02-2012, 02:22 PM
My two cents...
I have been attending EAA in Oshkosh since 1974 and camping in Scoller since 1980. What I have seen over the years, is that EAA has been trying to accomodate the needs and desires of ENTIRE families during the event. True, we all don't like the same things, we have seen changes we like and some that we don't. Line up ten people and ask them what they want most from the event and you will probably get twelve answers. The idea as I see it if you want to come and spend the week and bring the family, you will need something to make the entire family happy all of the time. Something for the spouse, something for the teenagers and something for the little kids. Lets not forget both the flying and non-flying spectators. What do the corporate sponsors provide? CASH! That is how things happen today. If you like to stay for the week and bring the family, ask them what will keeep their interest. In the "good old days" they had hawkers selling Coke. Only water was out of a fountain and warm with an odor. Trams were scarce. There were two gates with two admission fees. One for the credentialed aviation people and one for the general public. There were more volunteer positions available including garbage truck pick up and cleaning the showers. The showers had only cold water from a tank on the roof heated by the sun. There were no flush toilets. You had to bring your own toilet paper when camping because you never knew when they would run out or be cleaned. The camp area used to be a hay field that was cut just prior to the show and the stubble could poke a hole in your air mattress. Along the frontage road was a corn field. There were some ponds in the campground. (not good idea for kids)
Things were relatively expensive then also. Oh, ya, there was a Miss and Mrs EAA contest until the gender cops got excited.Yup, things are a changing...As I see it, it can get bigger, it can get smaller, but it can't stay the same. If you don't like what you see, don't see it! You cant tell me that with everything available that you can't find an alternative interest to participate in. Oshkosh is not and never has been about airplanes. It is about the experience, the people, the friends and the unique comaraderie that you can only find here. I don't like everything about the event and have certainly voiced my complaints, but I WILL be back. Anything that I find unbearable, I VOTE with my feet. I hope to see similar enthusiasts there next year.

glider90
08-02-2012, 02:39 PM
Avinuts, from the brother of "Miss Congeniality, Miss EAA Pageant 1980" (first runner up), I would say you have it pretty well put above. Airventure is a better family value now than it was when I was a kid, and still has all the stuff us aviation geeks want. I also had a close friend that was a member of the Raiders back then (the volunteer trash crew).

CarlOrton
08-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Well, since avinuts mentioned the greater family participation, my wife kept raving about how many women of all ages she saw present this year. She swears it's because they installed the flush toilets on Hangar C; in prior years, she'd hold it until she could catch a bus to the museum. She's a thrilled participant.

Mattmutz2
08-02-2012, 08:37 PM
I guarantee the feedback email is working, and they are being read

They are just trying to keep the complaints from the public.

Mattmutz2
08-02-2012, 08:40 PM
How many (of the 800) vendors are aviation related?

I love this question. Hightower reports that some vendors got record numbers this year - keep in mind that if they are new, this is a record.

It is unfortunate that they make you walk extra miles and see mattresses if you really just want to find a good headset.

Burtles
08-02-2012, 09:36 PM
If this was a "solid" Oshkosh I'd hate to see a bad one! Worst attendance in years. Volunteer morale at rock-bottom. Obvious gaping holes in the exhibit hangars, despite the noticeable increase in non-aviation vendors.

Jim Hann
08-02-2012, 09:47 PM
I love this question. Hightower reports that some vendors got record numbers this year - keep in mind that if they are new, this is a record.

It is unfortunate that they make you walk extra miles and see mattresses if you really just want to find a good headset.

Aircraft Spruce new? Sporty's new? Gimme a break. The economy hasn't recovered, and the gate numbers are more realistic than a few years ago. It was a good show.

nddons
08-02-2012, 09:53 PM
I posted something about this on the blue board. I felt something was missing this year as well. It was great seeing friends, old and new. It was great volunteering at Flight Line Ops again. But I sensed that crowds were down, and the vendors were - unenthused perhaps? I enjoyed Friday's airshow, but I sense that modern military representation was less than in the past. I REALLY wish the airshow announcers would have reminded the crowd to stick around for the return of our heroes from the Honor Flight on Friday at 1830. There were hundreds to greet these great men, when there cound have been thousands.

I still love AirVenture, and will continue to attend. I hope others, pilots and non-pilots, will continue to do the same.

mcdewey
08-03-2012, 06:18 AM
It was my fourth year and first year for volunteering at Flight Line Operations (FLO) parking aircraft in the North 40. It was the most fun I've had in a long time, except for flying. I got my sport pilot in June '11 and private in June '12.

I enjoyed this show even more than the previous ones. The new green tram was great. Losing the red lot made it a little harder to park but with all the food I ate, I needed the exercise. It got pretty hot in the vendor pavilions and I couldn't afford the things I wanted, but it was good to at least start looking around and seeing real stuff. The forums I made it to were informative and very useful to a newbie pilot. Wish I could have made more of them, but that's just par for the course in any convention. Would be good if there was a way to make the screen presentations brighter since some are washed out by the outside glare.

But the best part was that I got to meet some wonderful folks out with FLO and made some great memories. The guy who, after being parked, leaped out of his plane and proclaimed "Awesome!". The Operation Thirst folks with the drinks and cookies and sandwiches. Their polite laughter when I declined the vegetables and insisted that lemonade was a vegetable. The French Canadian family with several generations and their misadventures in trying to get their tent up, but still having fun. Being reminded forcefully that you don't turn an aircraft when there are tents behind it (oops). The gentle tutoring by the old-timers. Working with the youth aviation volunteers and having great conversations about aviation and technology careers. Standing in a field with the beautiful (and occasionally hot) Wisconsin sun, dark blue sky and white (and black) clouds stretching above me, while I got to be near all the beautiful aircraft. The lady who is picking back up on becoming a CFI after recovering from breast cancer. All the wonderful folks I got to just talk flying with.

I'm not sure what "then" was like, but "now" was awesome!

Antique Tower
08-03-2012, 06:31 AM
You know how many old pilots it takes to screw in a lightbulb?

Four. One to screw it in, and three to talk about how good the old bulb was....

Unwiredone
08-03-2012, 08:31 AM
You know how many old pilots it takes to screw in a lightbulb?

Four. One to screw it in, and three to talk about how good the old bulb was....

Now this was 'awesome'!

Jim Heffelfinger
08-03-2012, 11:10 PM
EAA was founded a year after I was born…. I grew up, had a family that grew up and they had a family, and they grew up and now I am on the cusp of a great –grand child.
How could anything over that much time be the same…and would we really want it to?
In a number of ways the good ol’ days were better – we visited neighbors, knew when a friend was sick and brought over soup and company, we had picnics, we even might have shared stories of lost loves and wars. The good old days….the ones some lament….. don’t they happen every year in a magical place called Oshkosh?