PDA

View Full Version : Thread for those of us NOT at AirVenture

Green Goggles
07-24-2012, 05:54 PM
Not being there is killing me; I think I'd rather give up Christmas than miss Oshkosh.

I took the Mooney up for a quick half-hour flight this morning, drove several dozen laps around the airport looking for people to converse with, went back to the hangar and stared at my airplane for a bit, went to the terminal computer and checked Twitter and other EAA news feeds, went back and painted guide stripes in front of my hangar door, stared at the airplane a bit longer, pondered whether I should push it out in the grash and pitch a tent beside it, drove a few more laps around the airport.... you get the idea. This is really hurting! http://images.corvetteforum.com/images/smilies/willy_nilly.gif http://images.corvetteforum.com/images/smilies/willy_nilly.gif

So, what types of things is everyone else doing to pass the time this week?
Surely, I'm not the only one who didn't make the trek. http://images.corvetteforum.com/images/smilies/frown5.gif

Bill Greenwood
07-24-2012, 06:26 PM
Ok, if you can't be here , then I'll give you about the only bad news I can find here. Yesterday it was blazing hot, 102* and that is official not just heat index.

It rained this morning and is much better today ,perhaps in the high 80s. It is a beautiful evening tonight.

Bill Greenwood
07-24-2012, 06:27 PM
Ok, if you can't be here , then I'll give you about the only bad news I can find here. Yesterday it was blazing hot, 102* and that is official not just heat index.<BR><BR>It rained this morning and is much better today ,perhaps in the high 80s. It is a beautiful evenig tonight.

martymayes
07-24-2012, 07:08 PM
Surely, I'm not the only one who didn't make the trek. http://images.corvetteforum.com/images/smilies/frown5.gif

Passing time by spending the week in Myrtle Beach, SC. Hot as blazes here too but it's easy to cool off in the Atlantic Ocean. Made a choice to skip OSH/AV this year and not regretting it.

MickYoumans
07-24-2012, 07:44 PM
My handyman helper and I went out to the airport and washed and waxed my plane today. It was really needing it. I had planned to fly afterward but it was so hot and I was so tired that I decided to wait. It is killing me missing Oshkosh too. I decided not to go this year so I could put the money I would have spent there into my plane. I'm hoping to pull the gas tanks next month and send them off to be refurbished. Anybody have a PIREP about Woodstock Aviation and their Piper tank overhauls? It would have been difficult to get away from work right now anyway. I have been lloking at the AirVenture webcams a lot wishing I was there. Hopefully next year....

Sonich5
07-24-2012, 09:32 PM
I am with you... Killing me to get updates about it... knowing I am missing out on both seeing many customers and just all the noise and chaos!!! oh well, dream about next year and hope something to get in the way!

WeaverJ3Cub
07-25-2012, 06:45 AM
Same here. Missing it like crazy, particularly since I was set to go about 8 days in advance, then cancelled. Plus, I wanted to see the Cubs. Would have been my first one.

So I've been just following the webcams while listening to LiveATC (and kicking myself for thinking it was impossibly difficult). Oh, and I flew the Ripon—Fisk—Rwy 27 approach in an online flight simulator! :)

Joe LaMantia
07-25-2012, 07:44 AM
Poured like hell here yesterday morning, but cleared up in time for me to get out to Hartzell Field and get my BFR completed! Good to go anywhere! Next trip will be a small fly-in, either Port of Clinton or Shelby Co. here in Ohio. Not really missing OSH, could have gone with club member but too much to do here. 102 degrees is a pistol anywhere, I would hope all the folks up there are drinking lots of water and trying to keep in the shade (???).

Joe
:cool:

rosiejerryrosie
07-25-2012, 08:44 AM
At my age, walking miles in that heat is something I do NOT miss. I'm spending the week in front of the TV, in my airconditioned family room with a couple of gin and tonics.....:cool:

FS-MP
07-25-2012, 02:57 PM
So I've been just following the webcams while listening to LiveATC (and kicking myself for thinking it was impossibly difficult). Oh, and I flew the Ripon—Fisk—Rwy 27 approach in an online flight simulator! :)

Same here .. Oshkosh webcams, Live ATC, EAA Radio, and flying all the approach types in the Notams, in MS Flight Simulator, with a great group of pilots and controllers . I even got a few ILS approaches in on 36, earlier this morning, while the bad weather went through.
The GOOD news .. This weeks AVGAS cost $0.00

Anyone else, with FSX, is welcome to join us all this week -- July 20 through to July 30 at Virtual Oshkosh 2012.
http://fs-mp.com/oshkosh

Geoff

wyoranch
07-25-2012, 03:41 PM
What am I doing? Watching every feed, listening to everything and crying like a little girls because I can not be there. ;-)

Ozzie
07-25-2012, 11:17 PM
Just had to double up my wireless broadband allowance to cover the week of webcam feed.. ouch! But it does help to make up for not being there. Well done webcam team! The missus is making me sleep downstairs so not to wake her up when i get up early to watch the airshow. (Whinge whinge bloody whinge). Need cheaper airfares so i can go every year. 3000 return is a bit hard to explain every year. (but what about the new carpet paint.... yarp bloody yarp). Same goes over there i suppose hey?

Paul Hayden
07-26-2012, 07:30 AM
awesome! Sorry for the extra bandwidth bill, but glad you enjoy the feeds. But, now you realize you have 2 wisconsinites trying to figure out how to say "whinge" and "yarp"

lol, enjoy the rest of the show!

Paul
streaming media chairman

Green Goggles
07-26-2012, 07:44 AM
Sleeping downstairs to avoid the wife so you have full concentration on the Web cams.... now that is dedication!

Well done, sir. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/djrhogan/a_goodjob.gif

Anymouse
07-26-2012, 12:15 PM

Working.

Todd Ritzman
07-26-2012, 01:43 PM
Working.

It's still hard to pass up the show.

Todd Ritzman
07-27-2012, 02:00 PM
Some of us are even watching the webcams while we are still here at AirVenture.:P

Paul Hayden
07-27-2012, 02:11 PM
yeah, its gotten to the point of the week we fire up the webcam instead of running outside to see what the noise is...

Jim Rosenow
07-27-2012, 03:49 PM
Now THAT'S just not right Paul!!!! :) A toast with my margarita to you...there are SOME advantages to being at home!

EZRider
07-29-2012, 09:21 AM
For some reason Oshkosh was not as enjoyable as usual. It started with the arrival. They put me on 27 and I was going to Vintage Camping. I had to taxi all the way to the south end in the middle of no where. They let me switch to the North 40, which had me taxing all the way around the airport around the end of rw 9 to the south side. No facilities on that side! I have been flying into Oshkosh for years and never experienced this. All the good parking is now taken up by, Bonanzas to Oshkosh, Cessnas to Oshkosh, Moonys to Oshkosh, Pipers to Oshkosh, J3s to Oshkosh, etc. The whole convention is less about homebuilding and more about commercial ventures. They even set up chalets along rw 36 for corporate VIPs with big dollars! Add the heat and humidity............ I flew my 1955 Bonanza from Tucson to Oshkosh, paying up tp $6.23 per gallon, I'm not sure I will do this again next year. But, I will probably get all charged up again by next year!

Todd Ritzman
08-01-2012, 09:32 PM
Now THAT'S just not right Paul!!!! :) A toast with my margarita to you...there are SOME advantages to being at home!

Jim, we had margaritas there too. :rollseyes:. and yet we still kept the cameras working.

Jim Rosenow
08-02-2012, 06:25 AM
Jim, we had margaritas there too. :rollseyes:. and yet we still kept the cameras working.

Next year I'll bring the fixin's!! :cool: See ya Thursday before!