PDA

View Full Version : zenair ch180 super acro - for competition

Nanart
07-22-2012, 04:25 PM
It's hard to find much info on this aircraft just wondering if anyone has heard of it in competition? From the specs that I have found on it, it seems like it would have good acro capabilities. Does Anyone know why there don't seem tobe many around? Seems like they stopped selling the kit quite early.Thanks for any info

WLIU
07-22-2012, 07:32 PM
Unfortunately, that particular airplane was the answer to the wrong question. Lasers have a similar build time and offer more performance. And aluminum has poorer fatigue characteristics than wood or carbon fiber. Having never flown one, I don't have insight into the control harmony but aerobatic pilots are pretty opinionated about how they want their airplanes to fly.

Also, when the CH180 appeared, everyone was looking to get 260 and then 300hp. A single seat airplane that offered only 180 hp was yesterday's news. Competitors look for the winning edge. The CH180 wasn't it.

Regards,

Wes
N78PS

Nanart
07-22-2012, 07:53 PM
If anyone has experience with this aircraft, would it make a good first aerobatic plane to learn on and start competing in?

WLIU
07-23-2012, 04:44 AM
I would offer the advice that the best airplane to learn on and start competition in is a two seat airplane like a Decathlon. You can have an instructor show you the figures in the airplane that you will start competition in, and you can fly your first competition flight(s) with a safety pilot on board if needed.

We do not see self taught competitors post high scores at contests.

May I suggest that you join IAC and, if you are Canadian, Aerobatics Canada, and connect with a chapter? You will get lots of good advice and support for enterring the world of aerobatics.

Best of luck,

Wes