PDA

View Full Version : Anyone carry a backpack around all day?

Kazoo
07-16-2012, 09:57 AM
How comfortable would it be to carry around a half full backpack all day? I'll be carrying around a camera on each shoulder all day and would like a) something to put them in should it rain (or if I want a break) and b) something to put other things in, e.g. water bottle, small blanket to sit on while watching the afternoon airshow, a third lens (large) and camera body (small) and any materials I might (okay...will) pick up throughout the day. I'm thinking about purchasing a North Face Surge bag since I'd rather not carry around my huge Lowepro camera bag that tells the world what's inside. Otherwise I don't see any other alternative to accomplishing what I want to accomplish.

Jefflcarr
07-16-2012, 10:11 AM
I always carry one with me on the grounds. It usually has a few cameras (an SLR and a point-and-shoot), an ATC scanner radio, a couple water bottles, program, batteries, sunblock, etc. The only discomfort I've ever really experienced from carrying one is that my back might get a little hot and sweaty if it's a particularly warm day. I'd definitely recommend one with two straps that are wide and amply cushioned.

MEdwards
07-16-2012, 10:25 AM
You might think of a fanny pack. They stay out of the way until you sit down.

Floatsflyer
07-16-2012, 10:28 AM
Kazoo, as someone who abhors carrying anything around on my back or with my hands, at Oshkosh or any other place, may I suggest that it is far easier, comfortable and less taxing on the body to pull rather than carry. Buy a well constructed lightweight "carry-on" bag(plastic or fabric/frame type) with excellent rugged wheels and an extendable/hide away handle that will hold what you need. Your back can thank me later!

N222AB
07-16-2012, 10:33 AM
I always carry a backpack camera bag. I usually have enough room to stuff handouts and now an iPad into one along with the day's camera gear. Last year I used a Lowepro Slingshot 300 that worked pretty well. It is big enough for a D300 and several lenses with a little space left over. I've used bigger bags in the past and they just don't work very well when you have to take them off to sit in a forum chair or at lunch. Small is a virtue in this case.

FlyingRon
07-16-2012, 10:53 AM
I use a fanny pack camera bag but when I do the exihibts I usually carry one of the handout (usually XMradio) canvas totes to lug my stuff back. Of course this year I'm sporting a rediculously large lens so I don't know what I'm going to carry.

Tsarach
07-16-2012, 11:09 AM
Just picked up a camera backpack from Best Buy, sounds a lot like the one N222AB is talking about. Was around 70-80 bucks, has lots of bottom storage for camera gear with great padding. Top portion is great for computer and iPad's etc. Lots of space, very comfortable fit and versatile!

lkorona
07-16-2012, 11:12 AM
Personal choice, here's mine. I do both! fanny and backpack.

fanny pack has stuff that I use often like money, camera, water. backpack has rain gear, schedules/maps and makes for a great place to stuff any goodies that I pick up along the way

MickYoumans
07-16-2012, 12:21 PM
I have a mini-backpack I got from WalMart (luggage area) that was perfect at Oshkosh. It looks just like a regular backpack but smaller and a little larger than a fanny pack. It is big enough for a couple of bottles of water, camera and snacks. I would hate to lug a full size backpack around KOSH and a fanny pack would be too small.

Kevin O'Halloran
07-16-2012, 01:16 PM
Back pack is a must !!!
put my SLR camera in it and water, sunscreen, etc
AND--its also where I put all the things I buy and also for all the free stuff ( aircraft spruce catalog, etc)
The plane is always 40 or 50 pounds heavier when I head back to Oklahoma
Was heading to Oshkosh on thursday--just can't wait--so I'm leaving wed !!!:)
Kevin

Sawdust
07-16-2012, 04:22 PM
Here I am at OSH11 with my backpack. It's a Cinebags CB-25 loaded with one large video camera, 2 small video cameras, a Nikon SLR with 3 lenses, flash, and all the various video and photography accessories, and of course water bottles. Only issue is the sweaty back some others mentioned, but I address that by alternately hanging the bag by just one shoulder to allow some cooling.

Tom Steber
07-16-2012, 07:00 PM
I have a chair/backpack in one. It's a chair that folds up and it has straps to wear it like a backpack plus it has all the storage room too. And it reclines! I'm pretty sure you can get them at Walmart and the like. The only draw back is it gets pretty heavy after awhile carrying binoculars, extra batteries for camera and scanner, sunblock, bottle of water... you get the idea. First day is always the worst because that's when I do my shopping for new shirts. Gets lighter later in the week.

malexander
07-16-2012, 07:07 PM
Back pack is a must !!!
put my SLR camera in it and water, sunscreen, etc
AND--its also where I put all the things I buy and also for all the free stuff ( aircraft spruce catalog, etc)
The plane is always 40 or 50 pounds heavier when I head back to Oklahoma
Was heading to Oshkosh on thursday--just can't wait--so I'm leaving wed !!!:)
Kevin

Hey Kevin:
We're leaving OKC Wed about noon. We get there Fri morning. Are you flying or driving? We'll be driving pulling a 5th wheel.

Oops, just noticed, you said the airplane is heavier coming home.
Give me a call while you're there (405) 417-6077.

N222AB
07-16-2012, 07:08 PM
Here are a few more ideas. If you just want to use a random backpack, not a photo backpack, you will probably want something to protect the lenses when they're loose in the backpack. Nikon, and I presume Canon, ships a case with many of their lenses that you could stick in the backpack in which to put the unused gear. They are virtually no weight, but will be there to protect the equipment. I leave The Big Lens, in my case, a 200-400mm zoom, in the car (I go into GRB and drive down) until the airshow. Mid afternoon, I'll go the car and get it, a monopod, and a chair so I can find a spot from which to shoot the afternoon activities. I've rarely wanted the long lens during the day. I also leave the spare camera body in the car in a Think Tank pouch.

All of this is very much personal preference, whatever works for your style. If you have the ability to take a couple of different solutions, try something one day, then something else the next to see what works for you. I think the biggest suggestion is to make sure you don't try to carry too much gear. If you have too much, the gear begins to control you and the fun quotient goes down very quickly.

Kyle Boatright
07-16-2012, 07:09 PM
I have a featherweight daypack that holds a couple of drinks, a poncho, a book, a camera, sunscreen, etc. Probably under 10 pounds. I also use it to stash flyers and stuff I buy from vendors.

I don't even notice that I'm wearing it.

RickFE
07-16-2012, 07:31 PM
I wouldn't go without my back pack. You don't have to fill up every inch of it. If you find something you like it is pretty handy. I also like it to bike out to the grocery store and back.

This year I got an oversized fanny pace that holds two bottles. The fanny pack is big enough for binoculars, radio or whatever else I feel is appropriate for the day.

Mayhemxpc
07-16-2012, 07:47 PM
I have done both light backpack and a photographer style vest (actually, a 5-11 vest for a couple of days, then EAA's vest.) This year it will just be the backpack! The wife and yung'uns, too! Shove the vendor's tote bag and stuff in the backpack when you get tired of carrying it. Most importantly drop everything not strictly necessary at your campsite whenever you get the chance. (Cameras, water, iPhone, and sunblock are strictly necessary)

Kevin O'Halloran
07-16-2012, 07:52 PM
Malexander
sent you a PM with all the info--let me know if you don't get it
Beechparts@sbcglobal.net

dbarnes612
07-16-2012, 08:47 PM
In the heat we're likely to have, any kind of serious backpack would be unpleasant to carry around. Maybe unless it were full of ice! ;-)

I prefer a fanny pack that also can be carried with a shoulder strap.

Kiwi ZK-CKE
07-17-2012, 12:03 AM
At the big air shows we have here in NZ I always have a backpack to carry my Camera gear, snacks and the inevitable stuff you collect from trade displays etc. I have a lightweight "day pack" as used by hikers - its not too big but the strap systems avoid pressure points etc. I would use my internal frame backpack I use for hiking, but that is a fraction too big. My smaller day pack has a useful compartment where I can install a rehydration bladder, such as a Camelback. My "point and hope" camera is clipped to the pack straps and the SLR goes inside. Its quite handy when you find somewhere to sit, you can lean against the bag to stabilise your photos.

malexander
07-17-2012, 03:33 AM
Malexander
sent you a PM with all the info--let me know if you don't get it
Beechparts@sbcglobal.net

Kevin:
I got your message, wrote you number down.
Thanks

mazdaP5
07-17-2012, 01:20 PM
Here I am at OSH11 with my backpack. It's a Cinebags CB-25 loaded with one large video camera, 2 small video cameras, a Nikon SLR with 3 lenses, flash, and all the various video and photography accessories, and of course water bottles. Only issue is the sweaty back some others mentioned, but I address that by alternately hanging the bag by just one shoulder to allow some cooling.

Texas Air Aces, I camped across the street from you last year!

I always carry a backpack at Oshkosh, like a student backpack. As hot as it's been, you need to carry some water with you, camera, rain poncho, daily purchase's.

steve
07-17-2012, 05:14 PM
I use a messenger bag from Land's End purchased back in '08. However, it's not shown in their current online catalog. I did see similar bags in Sporty's Wright Bros catalog. These bags have a WWII military design flavor and they look good to me.
I, too, used my kid's school backpack in prior years to carry all the Oshkosh stuff I tend to accumulate every day.

Chris Thomsen
07-20-2012, 08:27 AM
I carry a large backpack that has a rigid backing with shoulder straps (for carrying and bus/tram travel) and also has wheels and a handle that folds down. I strap my folding chair to it with bungee cords too. It's awesome!

dmbleess
07-25-2012, 11:04 AM
Another big thing is to keep aware of where your stuff is if you take it off or set it down -even for a quick moment or small purchase.

MANY years ago, I had a regular little camera bag stolen while I made a purchase and got careless. I now carry a full blown camera backpack so there is less reason to set it down or remove it unless I am adding a book or other purchase into its laptop pocket.

On the hottest of days expect it to be miserable carrying the weight and reducing the airflow to your back.

Another good(?) thing is that it allows you to buy and carry more stuff. All the major carriers used to have sites at the show if you bust your useful load limit. UPS, FedEx and USPS all used to be represented. Only FedEx shows in the Android App vendor list this year. The rest may still be there.